Help with this contest for kids... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The restaurnt where I work a couple nights a week is a pretty slow place. the manage is looking to build up business. the place is nice and it IS family freindly..kids menu but not a chuck E cheese type thing.
Anyway how does this sound to you..
A coloring contest on the kids menu.
Option A)the winners would actually just be selected randomly..no real judging going on. The child would win dinner for free for amonth in teh restaurnt.
B) just let all the kids win or would the parents would be turnede off by that kind of thing. Same prize

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hate contests for small children. I would say that all of the kids that color a picture win free dinner for a month. I wouldn't even call it a contest.

Picture this: A 4-year-old boy and his 3-year-old brother both color pictures for the "contest." The 3-year-old wins. So, for a month, the family comes to eat at this restaurant, and the 3-year-old gets to eat free. The 4-year-old didn't win and, therefore, doesn't eat free and is reminded for a whole MONTH that he didn't win the contest.

Picture this: A very sensitive, perfectionistic 5-year-old girl thinks that she is best "colorer" in the world. She colors a picture for the contest. A 4-year-old wins the contest. She gets really upset because she thought her picture would be the best. Every time she comes in your restaurant, she has bad feelings because of the contest she lost.

I would hate for any child to feel that way, and I personally would hate to be responsible for any child feeling that way.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:59 PM

I think a better way to build up business would have cheaper chidrens items on the menu or have children under 5? eat free on a week night sorta thing. I wouldn't do a contest ,but thats just me.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:27 PM

There could be a kids' club type of thing too - issue a card and stamp it, eat five times and get the 6th free or something.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ohh mashtree i like that. I'll tell the manager about it..he'slooking for lots of input and he likes kids.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 PM

I'm a punch-card fan too.

About the kids menu... I'm much more likely to take my kids to a place where they actually have decent kid's meals. At Claim Jumpers, for instance, they have a smaller portion of the ribs or grilled chicken, with a choice of veggies or fries for the side, and it comes with an apple. I have no problem payinf $8 for a decent kids meal to get the smaller portion. I'm more likely to pick that restaurant over Red Robin, where their chicken is deep fried and you can only get fries. Obviously the market is a bit different but I really wish more restaurants would offer better choices for the kids. Not every kid wants pizza, chicken strips, or mac. and cheese. I usually just end up ordering a larger meal for myself and sharing with the kids because truthfully, they would rather have shrimp or steak too.

User Tag List