bunk beds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-17-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what age are bunk beds safe? Do any of you have bunk beds for your children and if so how old were they when they first started sleeping in them? My dd wants a bed like her cousins but I am not sure...
#2 of 11 Old 04-17-2003, 05:56 PM

My sister and I had bunkbeds when we were young. I was 4-5 and she was 3. She slept on the bottom and I was on the top bunk. We loved them. I still have the bottom twin bed in my guest room. It was a good quality wooden bed. I think thats what scares me about some of them today is that they seem cheaply made. The one at the chain furniture stores anyway.
#3 of 11 Old 04-17-2003, 06:01 PM

I had them as a child and loved them.

my older kids had a set.....i think my youngest was almost 3, slept on the bottom, and my daughter who was almost 6 had the top. they absolutely loved them. i gave them to a friend when we moved, and her kids loves them.

i would be careful about the metal tubular kind....i believe some of the younger kids can get their heads caught? or something like that.

i never had trouble with them.
#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2003, 08:08 PM

Gunnar got his set when he was 4, and has been sleeping in the top bunk with no problems.
We will move Trapper in with him to the bottom bunk when he turns 3 or so.
My sisters and I had 2 sets of bunkbeds for as far back as I can recall when I was younger.
I gotta also add that the bunkbeds are made much sturdier now than they were when I was a child for sure!
#5 of 11 Old 04-17-2003, 08:54 PM

Sam has a loft bed, but I wouldn't let him sleep there. He sleeps under (when he wishes to) on a futon matress. He is a restless sleeper and has been known to sleepwalk, so it isn't safe for him to be up top.

DH had a bunk bed when he was young. His mom told me that when he was about 7 or so she heard a massive thud. She went running in to see that he had rolled out of the top and onto the hardwood floor below. She thought he might be injured, but he was just snoring loudly. He ended up sleeping on the floor the rest of the night.
#6 of 11 Old 04-17-2003, 09:24 PM

My girls have bunkbeds at their bio-father's house. The younger two sleep on the bottom and starting about 4 months ago my oldest (7.5 years old) started sleeping on the top. Before that she was too scared. I'm not thrilled with her sleeping on the top bunk but there's a good rail so I guess that's a small comfort.

I'd say that it depends on the child's comfort level really and how much she rolls around in her sleep!
#7 of 11 Old 04-17-2003, 11:49 PM

Moving this to CHildhood years!
#8 of 11 Old 04-24-2003, 12:11 AM

My 5 year old wants bunk beds. I'm hoping it will help the transition to sleeping in his own bed. Has anyone had any experience using bunk beds for the transition to sleeping alone?
#9 of 11 Old 04-26-2003, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started sleeping on the top on a set of bunkbeds at 51/2. I do remember rolling out of bed a coupel times, but that might not have been from the bunk bed.

I loved the bunkbed -climbing up from the lover bunk instead if the rails etc. It is the one thing kids can climb on INSIDE.
#10 of 11 Old 04-27-2003, 02:09 AM

We co slept with all of our kids until 8 months ago. At first we bought the toddler beds, which they slept in every once in a blue moon. They just were'nt interested. And boy was it getting cramped in our king sized bed with 5 people ! LOL
When we got the bunk beds Skyla (4 at the time) got the top unk and slept there all night for the first time and still does. Dakota was 3 when we got the bunkbeds and he slept on the lower bunk, and stays there all night as well. IMO it is a great transitional bed. Our bunk bed has a railing all along the edges on top so no way she can roll off
#11 of 11 Old 05-04-2003, 03:22 AM

I just purchased bunk beds for my 4 y/o today. My mother stays with us a lot and really needed a bed to sleep in lol I got a nice set that is solid oak, has the desk, 5 drawers and shelves under it. I figure it saves a lot of room for toys instead of a dresser etc. He's excited about getting them(they're being delivered on Tues) I'm not sure about him sleeping on the top, although it has a 12 inch rail all around the top bunk, and a removable ladder, so the kids can't play on them when they're in there.
DH had bunk beds as a kid and didn't want ours to have them, said he played superman off the top bunk on more than one occassion and it scared him to think of our kids doing it lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page