THE November 4 YO tribe ... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 160 Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
elwynn is just under 38" tall (so 3 feet 1.5 inches..or so) and ngaio is over 32" already!!
they are both all leg im 5 foot 8" and tim is 6 foot 2" at least..
we are all tall.. so im sure elwynn will have a huge growth spurt overnight one day and ill fall over fackwards in surprise. until then i love my little guy.

a question mona on carseat safety.

if rear facing is safer when they are under 30 LBS but their legs are cramped.. how is that safer? elwynn would whine and cry and make who ever was driving crash..im sure!

we dont go in cars often, but he has been front facing for a long time now
ngaio is rear facing but her legs are starting to get cramped as well.. she already has to bend her knees a bit.. im sure by 1.5 she will be 30 lbs but elwynn is still only about 28lbs..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#62 of 160 Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 PM

im sorry i didnt reply to ypur posts as well leah.. its super hard. ive BTDT.. im still doing it actually but day by day things are geting better.

i think you have to decide that you ARE worth being treated well and with respect and love and honour..and that you dont and shouldnt do everything for everyone all the time..and when you decide that for yourself you stop letting people in your life who dont treat you like the goddes that you are. but like i said before.. its not easy, either way. life is full of heartbreat. and joy.

we love you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
just read your post leah- goddess i'm so sorry. seriously, i'd give that fucking guy a boot in his ass. he sounds like a total idiot!!! i mean, you are beautiful- inside and out.
i understand he has his good sides (althogh i'm not sure what they are ) but it sounds like to me you are raising the kids and running the house, with very little "together " stuff going on in actuality.

maybe he can move back in with his mother, if he wants you to be his mom so badly.

hugs and loves sweetie.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#63 of 160 Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 PM

k is front facing
/hide
#64 of 160 Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
k is front facing
/hide
ooops.. sorry .. i meant abranger

Quote:

#65 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post

a question mona on carseat safety.

if rear facing is safer when they are under 30 LBS but their legs are cramped.. how is that safer? elwynn would whine and cry and make who ever was driving crash..im sure!
YES!!!! The short answer is if their legs are cramped they may be uncomfortable and worst case their legs might break in a crash ....forward facing way greater chance their NECK will break in a crash. That's the short answer I can post crash test videos if anyone wants the long one :

GA was 3 when we turned her. Her legs were so long they could rest on the top of the seat. She'd do that or sit cross legged. I am freaked about cars! We live in the city and don't drive much but since something like 80% of all crashes happen 10 miles from home I am not taking any chances. Basically statistically a car is the most dangerous place our littles can be. GA is forward now only b/c we can't buy the great swedish seats here that let kids RF till 5.

Amy
#66 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abranger View Post
YES!!!! The short answer is if their legs are cramped they may be uncomfortable and worst case their legs might break in a crash ....forward facing way greater chance their NECK will break in a crash. That's the short answer I can post crash test videos if anyone wants the long one :

GA was 3 when we turned her. Her legs were so long they could rest on the top of the seat. She'd do that or sit cross legged. I am freaked about cars! We live in the city and don't drive much but since something like 80% of all crashes happen 10 miles from home I am not taking any chances. Basically statistically a car is the most dangerous place our littles can be. GA is forward now only b/c we can't buy the great swedish seats here that let kids RF till 5.

Amy
thanks so much for the info.

you know what would be great? if cars had a kind of flip part on the back seats that you go up when a rear facing childseat is in so their legs have some space(like a door kinda thing) but that could close and lock if not needed.. but realistically, those would be the newest fanciest SUV's which none of us can afford anyways
now i feel like i shuold put E rear facing again..

please no crash vidios for me. i dont like seeing that stuff

i know that cars are dangerous.. which is why we dont have one (well some of the reason anyways..) you dont have to convince me!!

Quote:

#67 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Dc sits crosslegged or with her legs splayed and resting on the top of the seat- she really only does that when she feels full of silly. Her legs have only cramped up a few times and that was when she fell asleep on long-distance drives. On the rare occasions when we have had to put her forward facing, she has many more problems with her legs being uncomfortable from hanging down into nothing.

If you are informed before making your decision and Elwynn is happier forward facing, I think that's IMHO None of us would never do anything to endanger our children, and we have to have faith in our judgement.

Carseats are so tricky! My SIL has 3 kids, the oldest 2 ages 9 and 7. The 7yo is a husky boy who recently grew too heavy for any carseats. The 9yo is a slip of a boy who still 20 lbs under the limit. But there was no way she could make big brother sit in a carseat when little brother didn't have to! I know dc1 will have to sit ff someday while dc2 will still be rf-- and I'm not looking forward to that day! They get along so well in the car as it is.
#68 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 02:26 PM

Jaz, that youtube things was hilarious!!!

Both kids have been in front facing carseats for awhile now. We don't drive that often, but when we do it's a good mix of back roads and freeway driving (I have to drive into Phoenix for doctor's appointments). I HATE driving in traffic. : Julianna is 36 pounds (she used to be 39 pounds so I am kind of concerned about that...), and Zachary is 32 pounds. They are about 42 inches, both tall for their age. DH is 6ft and I am 5'4" so I'm not sure where DS gets his height, but he is long and lanky. Makes it very hard to find pants that fit him! We've been using diaper pins to keep his jeans up for awhile. Guess I sould look into finding him a belt.

This little baby is SO active, it is awesome! I don't remember Zachary being this active, and I don't remember being abnle to feel him from the outside until he was bigger. He would always stop moving when someone put their hand on my belly, but this baby keeps right on kicking. It's great!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#69 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberSun View Post

This little baby is SO active, it is awesome! I don't remember Zachary being this active, and I don't remember being abnle to feel him from the outside until he was bigger. He would always stop moving when someone put their hand on my belly, but this baby keeps right on kicking. It's great!
that's so awesome leah!!! i think i loved that part about being pregnant the most- K too was pretty active. It was a wonderful start of our love affair.
#70 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM

:
I just found out that K has 4.9 lead in her blood. I'm waiting for the woman to call me back so we can talk about it. I'm really angry. The house we used to live in was really old, but i was assured over and over that I didnt have anything to worry about in regards to lead. :
I wish i could somehow sue those people, or make the state tear down their house. Or just burn it down myself. :

Has anyone had to deal with that?

Egotisically, one of the hardest parts will be when i tell my mom, who has been hounding me to get K tested for years.
#71 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 PM

Oh my gosh, Mona! You and K will be in my prayers. J's ped has been trying to get me to take her in for 2 years now (it's the law in AZ), but she has such bad veins I hate to have her poked so much just for a blood test. I will get it done eventually... :

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#72 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

mona~ I used to go to a naturopath a few years ago, before I had kids, and he prescribed Chlorella (a type of blue-green algae) for detoxification. Unfortunately, it's impossible to not get lead and mercury these days, the way that our world works (conventional farming, pollution from industry and cars...) I hope you get that healed with your DD. Maybe she is one who just holds the lead? Some people don't excrete it others do. Is 4.9 really high?
#73 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 06:15 PM

mona

im not clear on what the levels mean. but i know that any lead is bad.. its not healthy... that said, like jazz mentioned.. our world is toxic (as sad as it is) so its probably hard to avoid. it makes me wonder about lead and other toxins in myself and in my kids.. im not sure if its free here to get tested for heavy metals..i guess i ll check it out.

what natural ways are there to detoxify for heavy metals in kids?

Quote:

#74 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM

thanks guys.

leah- you can get a really accurate test from a finger pric. that is what K had. there is no way i could get a needle in her vein.

4.9 is actually very low. some doctors wouldn';t even consider it a big deal or even a deal at all. but the thing is, the number goes down as exposure decreases, so i'm pretty sure it was higher when we lived there. it could have been really high when she was a baby.
however, we eat really well, the diet they recommend to people who have lead poisoning, so that is good news.
AND she shows no sign of IQ damage, since she is incredibly smart. she MIGHT have some behavioral residual stuff- like adhd. its just impossible to tell what the permanent damages are.

i've contacted some people, and i'll be figuring something out pronto.

back to reading on the web.....
#75 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM

reed had scary lead, i don't even remember the number. but he was a year old and right past the age of crawling and cruising that would really contact with the dust. two weeks before we moved back to louisiana, were were chased out for a week from our rental duplex so that the government could put in new windows. there is definitely some type of program to help take care of those things. but that might have been just minnesota being on top of things based on a prick, which always amazed and baffled us. i'm remembering how unreasonable i was feeling at the time. i did not want to take an imposed vacation for a few hundred dollars that week, when it was already damage done! i wanted to be packing and saving my money! i remember that is when we bought our first vacuum cleaner even though we had hardwood floors only. i think we were shocked how handy it was considering it was a weird time to buy an appliance.

lead paint peels in very obvious squares. the places to check are entryways and windows where there is stress on the paint and dust released. at almost 4, k is not going to be as exposed as a baby/toddler would with the proximity to floor movement and high oral exploration.

i've worked really hard to just accept and deal and have faith. reed is also the only one that was vaxed his first year, so i have no idea what behavioural problems are caused and such. but then, i have some different issues with clay who has had none of that kind of poisoning. ruby is actually very much a female version of reed. it may be just that i can easily understand and deal with a female. i have been reading lots about motorsensory issues and seeing how much is related to lacks in modern lifestyle.

i'm really glad you are out of the previous house already. how old is the house you are in now? the term you want to look for is "lead abatement". see if there is a program in your state to check it out.

do you have to tell your mom? why don't you wait until you feel that things are being resolved, so that there is less junk to deal with.
#76 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

what natural ways are there to detoxify for heavy metals in kids?
`

chlorella. taken in smoothies.
#77 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
`

chlorella. taken in smoothies.
i knew that one.. also
pyrenadosia
and zeolites..

says my good friend ben..he said he can get me some good chlorella and i can send it to you mona. his dad is an amazing healer

Quote:

#78 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
says my good friend ben..he said he can get me some good chlorella and i can send it to you mona. his dad is an amazing healer
now you've made me jealous. How the heck is Ben?
#79 of 160 Old 11-07-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
now you've made me jealous. How the heck is Ben?
he's good! he came for dinner a few nights ago. he' living in vancouver..

Quote:

#80 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 01:22 AM

Mona, I'm so sorry! I've never tested the kids for lead. I have no idea how to treat it, but yeah, don't tell your mom right now, or ever, if you don't want to. If K seems fine, I'm sure she is fine. Out of curiousity, what prompted you to get her tested?
#81 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 02:46 AM

hey guys!! i miss you all! i've been reading but one handed typ[ing is a pain

my sweet girl has a name--i'll be sleeping on it and will let you know for sure tomarrow~

hugs to everyone!
#82 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
i knew that one.. also
pyrenadosia
and zeolites..

ok i'll look around for those things. i've never heard of the pyrenddosia and zeolites.
Thanks!
#83 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasEve View Post
Mona, I'm so sorry! I've never tested the kids for lead. I have no idea how to treat it, but yeah, don't tell your mom right now, or ever, if you don't want to. If K seems fine, I'm sure she is fine. Out of curiousity, what prompted you to get her tested?
yeah here's teh thing. it was my MOM that made me test her. she's been after me for years to do it. sigh.
i've decided i'll tell her the results were negligible amounts of lead, which really is true. and i'll leave it at that.
i've also been doing a lot of research, and i feel pretty secure that K never had really high levels, as it takes a LONG time to fade away after exposure. so my theory is that if it had ever been really hight, it would be higher then it is now since we only moved out 3 months agao.
oh,the place we live now is like 10 years old. my friend, who tested K and is a lead expert, is coming over tomorrow to inspect our place just in case.

thanks mamas!
#84 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saritasmile View Post
hey guys!! i miss you all! i've been reading but one handed typ[ing is a pain

my sweet girl has a name--i'll be sleeping on it and will let you know for sure tomarrow~

hugs to everyone!
can't wait to hear about it! You can post it on the yahoo group if you want the privacy.
#85 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 09:27 PM

happy birthday Eli and momma!!
thinking of you today

Quote:

#86 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM

Y'all, PLEASE check out my "I'm going to be sick" post on the yahoo group. I am at a total loss, in a complete funk, and don't know what to do. Thanks.

p.s. sorry for bringing my politics into it, this is a really rare occasion, I swear
#87 of 160 Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

I think you should just post it on MDC.
#88 of 160 Old 11-09-2006, 12:20 AM

Okay, it's posted on yahoo!! I'll put it on MDC a bit later (in my sig).

Meg, I read your post but now need to get razi to sleep so I'll be back later to reply..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAN BEAN AND RYNNA!!!!!!! :
#89 of 160 Old 11-09-2006, 04:32 AM

rynna, blessings to you this day, the anniversary of the birth of your motherhood
#90 of 160 Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM

my baby is walking! not running.. but taking steps and is so proud of herself. i can't believe she will be a year old in a few weeks
and my other baby will be 4! its totally crazy insane.

i love being a momma!

Quote:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page