Mothering Forum banner

what are your kids getting for holiday presents

3K views 72 replies 55 participants last post by  Dael 
#1 ·
What are your kids getting, or what are you hoping they will get for Christmas, Haunakkah, Yule, or whatever, if anything you celebrate?

DH and I are getting the girls a puppet theater and puppets, I would also like to get them some playsilks, my bro and sil are getting them a train table. My mil will get us Cedar Point passes and something for the baby (I am thinking some bristle blocks or something) My parents always give me money and tell me to pick something out, I think I am goign to buy them really nice play food. Lakeshore has some that our library has, it is plastic but really really nice. A set is about $70.

We have a few of my aunts and uncles who will get them something. ANy suggestions? We are okay with plastic, but we do not do electronic or batteries.

They already have a play kitchen, wooden blocks, dress up clothes, and some wooden doll cradles and highchair.

#2 ·
One of my favorite things that my husband and I have bought out daughter is a sand table. You can fill it with whatever you want...it is a great sensory activity! This is the one we have...

http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Play...toys-and-games

some other things we like:
dress up clothes
books and books on tape(great for naptime when I worked as a preschool teacher)
anything sports, my daughters favorite is her t-ball set
crafts

#3 ·
Everyone is getting exactly one gift. I just did a major, major toy declutter and their room is so easy to keep clean now. They don't seem to miss the toys that disappeared. It's been over a month. Why add more stuff to the pile?

My dd who will be 6 by then will get a lap harp and some music for it.
My 2yo will get a pop up play house.
They will each get some little things in their stockings: some candy, new toothbrushes, play-doh and stuff like that.

#4 ·
Amy- do you have that in your house?

When I typed out what they have it seems like alot, but compared to our friends my kids are deprived. In a good way I think. Maia's friends have all of this junk that gets scattered around, stepped on, shoved into the bottom of toy boxes, etc. My girls don't really have anything like that at all and I'd like to keep it that way
I relaly try to get them open ended toys/plathings. Luckily my bro and sil are the same way and the girls get great things form them. Melissa and Doug stuff, cool magnetic playthings, etc.

#6 ·
Ha! I think I might be the meanest/coolest (someday they will thanks me) mom here. The children are getting one toy and we are traveling to see family in Alaska. I think that an experience like this every year is waaaay cooler than something I could my a wrap up. No offense to the other posters.

#10 ·
My almost-4 year old: Legos, a Playmobil set, an indoor swing for the doorway, a giant groovy girl, and some I Can Read Books. For her stocking she'll get a jumprope and some wooden maracas. From "Santa" she'll get a bicycle.

My 21 month old: Little People airplane and Little People Zoo, some board and lift-the-flap books, a miniature stroller with a doll, and giant cardboard brick blocks. For her stocking...I don't yet know. From "Santa" she'll get a tricycle.

I grew up in a house where Christmas was a HUGE deal. The above is a serious scale-down from my own upbringing. My husband grew up in a house where the kids got one thing each, and it usually cost less than $20. So this is a comfortable compromise for us both.

#11 ·
I have no idea!! I could use some help. My kids have enough toys... and clothes.. they are lucky kids. I also clean out a LOT and hate all the clutter. I get rid of stuff every xmas and birthdays.

DD is 3 and has a ton of wooden play food a nice American doll and bitty baby (from my mom the last couple years), a wooden cash register, a wooden dollhouse, numerous dollies, a kitchen (passed down from brother), a tea set, dress up clothes.. just enough..

Ds is 5 and has a ton of legos, knex, a wooden marble run, and a plan city wooden car set, thomas train set... hotwheels cars, trucks.. books books and more books. We have a bookshelf full of books, we love books but we really dont need more..

Im at a total loss. Id like to get dd a wooden doll stroller, but Im actually worried about just doing one gift as in the past its been numerous... This year we are going to Disney in Feb, and its their xmas gift from mom and dad and grammy and grampa. So all they get is a gift from Santa (or two) and stockings.. so im not sure about doing just one thing...

I was thinking of doing one joint gift and then two each , they both liked this medieval play castle and i thought it would be a nice gift for both of them. I dont know what to get ds. He wants everything he sees, but Id like to go the way of creative and wooden.....

any ideas??

#12 ·
my three year old daughter is getting a wooden princess castle, a doll, books, art materials, dress up things, puzzles, and a few other small gifts:

http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/item/productid/6800

my oldest daughter (six) is getting a large remote control pirate ship/sailboat that she can sail w/her dad at the lake, a violin, a loom, word and jigsaw puzzles, books, dress up pirate gear, etc.

my daughters also have a lot of toys, but I did a purge and made quite a bit of room for new things. DD#1 had outgrown a lot of her toys, and DD#2 has different interests, so a hand me down didn't really work.

#14 ·
I really want to get my 5 yo a GoPed GrowPed scooter. They look much nicer/safer than the razor type, but the cheapest I've found is $89 plus $20 shipping. Worth it I think, but money is tight this year. I also want to get him a sled. They aren't too expensive except it would probably be best to not give him a sled until it actually snows. We usually get a few good ones but it would be really disappointing if this was the year we just got slush.

Smilies from ds

#15 ·
both are getting lots of books and some mama-made items. their grandfather is building them a child-sized morris chair and my parents picked up an awesome retro-style play kitchen. their birthdays are on either side of christmas (k on the 20th, m on the 28th), so we work hard on splitting up presents and spreading the fun so they don't get shafted out of a birthday.

#16 ·
Wow, you guys have some great ideas. The wooden castle is beautiful; I want to play with it! Dh and I have NO idea what we're doing this year. Pretty sad, eh? It is coming so fast! I am thinking of doing all my shopping online, so maybe I can get some great wooden things or something. We just got the computer/internet this past summer, so in previous years, I had to do all my shopping at Walmart
: or drive an hour to a decent shopping center.

#17 ·
I think we are getting ds a fish tank. Ds has been asking, and DH has always wanted one, so it's something they can take care of together.

I am also getting him a chef's apron and hat. I also saw some Playmobil tub toys (pirate themed) that I will get him. And I am also getting him the "Cars" and "Curious George" movies on DVD.
I'm sure I'll get him some books too. He has so many books though, we just had to go out and buy yet another bookcase!

#18 ·
Just thinking about this myself! The family is shopping already and calling me for ideas and I keep giving them all the good ones...

I bought books for the kids already, and a Melissa and Doug (I think) music set with a recorder and a harmonica in it. I was thinking of Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys for the kiddos. The baby is going to be 4 months old and really doesn't need anything with 2 older siblings, but we do Santa so he'll have to get something from Santa to keep up appearances for the other two!

I wanted to get a puppet theater and puppets but that would take our whole Christmas budget and DH would rather they have lots of things to open. I am arguing that there are plenty of aunts and uncles and grandparents to buy smaller things and we could get something really cool if we just got one thing. So far DH isn't buying it (literally)!

#19 ·
I'm mostly stumped....

Big present from us: Digital camera. We were going to buy the Fisher Price one but instead found one that is a "tough" regular camera with the same features for less than half the cost.
Medium gift: No idea. Maybe Gi-nip-ginop (sp?)
Small gift: no idea
Also we are making him a bean bag toss game as a "no cost" present.

Santa:
Big present: Maybe an electronic drum pad.
Medium: No idea. Cranum Cariboo????
Small: No idea. Possibly a box of Fruit Loops since he loves them so.
Stocking: A Dora/Diego toothbrush, chocolate "gold" coins, cake sprinkles (he puts them on oatmeal), a BIG candy bar or M$Ms, some of the tiny boxes of cereal. Maybe a few small things like a rubber stamp and ink pad.

DS is getting a Learning Tower from one grandma!! So excited about that one. I hope he loves it.

I'm having the same dilema as other posters - not wanting to add to the "junk" toys, plastic, etc. He is sure to get some not so great stuff from other family members... I am trying to come up with better suggestions for them to avoid the plastic-with-100-tiny-pieces-does-one-thing toys that we often get. I looked at the 3 toy flyers in todays paper and came away completely uninspired.

#21 ·
Ive Started A List... I Need To Finish It Up Though And Get Cracking

Ds 11 Bike And Bike Ramp, Chess Stuff, Art Supplies
Dd 8 Bike Rollerblades, Dress Up Stuff Art Supplies
Ds 6 Hotwheels Cars Monster Trucks Roller Blades Etc
Dd 3 Play Laundry Center Dress Up Stuff A New Art Easel- Our Old One Broke, Gardening Playset
Dd 1 Little People, Small Trike
Babies... Baby Toys

Also Will Be Getting Toys For The Bathtub, Replenishing Our Art Supples And Crafts... Lots Of Puzzles And Books... Dvd's Some Cd's The Older Ones Want...

The Kids Tend To Get A Few Personal Toys And Lots Of Joint Toys... We Are Also Replacing Some Things We've Had For 6-7 Yrs Now... (art Easel, Outdoor Table Etc)

I Need To Look At This Weeks Paper And Make Our Final List And $$

#22 ·
DD (almost 8) and DS (5) are getting a portable adjustable basketball hoop from us for Christmas. I actually found it on clearance at Target for under $40.

They will each also get a small game (Gamewright), a DVD (Narnia for DD, Over the Hedge for DS), a book and maybe another small gift. Then stocking stuffers from Santa.

#24 ·
7yo boy
Lego soccer
Disc catchers
Star Wars Tranformers
Race Track
Dragon Puppet
Wedgits
Snap Circuits
Air Battle Arena
Daniel San Souci Books
Heroscape
Visual Calculator
Story of the World on cd

4yo girl
Haba Mail kit
I want plain/simple mailbox to go with kit, no luck finding one.
Dollhouse
Root View
Puppets
books
game
watch
Audio book

#26 ·
4 yo girl:
Cars movie mountain racing thing
Cars figures
Cars the movie (do you think she likes Cars?
)
wooden musical instruments
clothes
make your own kaleidoscope
Blueberries for Sal
possibly Tinker Toys
dress up clothes/shoes

2 yo girl:
piggy bank
clothes
The Peace Book
wooden musical instruments
Magna Doodle
kids telescope
train set
dress up clothes/shoes

possibly a sled for both of them- it's flat here, I don't know where we'd take them sledding, but dd1 has asked for a sled.

They'll get some craft items in their stockings, some candy and oranges, dd1 a deck of cards, dd2 a little Dora the Explorer toy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.