First Grade Tribe-November/December - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
It's me who needs the break more than the kids too!

They have a 100 book club....I really hate the whole deal. Basically because we have to write down every single book we read and we read lots of books around here! So, I usually foget to write them down. ARGHHH! I'm just going to make up a list of what I think we've read. Maybe I'm lazy ..but it really feels like homework for me. We are having really good times in school now overall. They just did a really interesting month studying ancient Egypt and we went to museum to look at artifacts and mummy's.
I remember when I was a kid at Montessori school that we would learn about different customs. It was fun. DD is doing something similar, but it's parochial school, so it's learning about customs from different countries at Christmas. It's still pretty fun for them..their class is learning about Italy.

We also have to write down every book we read. We read 3 books every night - ds reads one to me and I read 2 to him, so we are reading at least 15-20 books a week (sometimes I skip weekends since we often go to bed so late), and I too forget quite often to write them down. Because we do most of our reading in bed, I found that if I bring the log sheet with me into the bedroom and write the books down right then and there - it helps. We're at 70
What I find is sad though, is the kids in ds' class are only required to read 10 books every 4-5 weeks and some don't even get that accomplished
#62 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 05:31 PM

Do any of you know about a book called "Captain Underpants"? If you do can you give me details. It sounds aweful to me...but lots of kids are reading it.
#63 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
We also have to write down every book we read. We read 3 books every night - ds reads one to me and I read 2 to him, so we are reading at least 15-20 books a week (sometimes I skip weekends since we often go to bed so late), and I too forget quite often to write them down. Because we do most of our reading in bed, I found that if I bring the log sheet with me into the bedroom and write the books down right then and there - it helps. We're at 70
What I find is sad though, is the kids in ds' class are only required to read 10 books every 4-5 weeks and some don't even get that accomplished

I don't know if maybe the moms might be like me, who reads with my son alot, but with three kids, a business, life etc. I just forget to record stuff sometimes. I have alot of friends like that. So that may also be a factor, good for you for reading so much with your son, that's great!
#64 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
My dd has been complaining about her throat over the past few days, I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into anything more. She was a little tired yestersay and her voice is a little scratchy. She hasn't had a temp or anything yet. I just keep my fingers crossed.

My son was not too bad, just a day and a half off school, he's doing better, luckily he didn't get any of the vomiting, fever etc. so we got off easy. Phew.
I hope she doesn't have it!
#65 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
Do any of you know about a book called "Captain Underpants"? If you do can you give me details. It sounds aweful to me...but lots of kids are reading it.
Many parents and teachers dislike Captain Underpants, but they are amusing (if you have a gross sense of humor, as with many boys and some girls, like my daughter), well-written, and have a very child-centered sensibility. I like them. They've won a few awards, including awards from Publisher's Weekly and American Booksellers.

I'm a librarian, and it's often one of the first books that children (who were formerly reluctant readers) really get into, and want to read badly enough to overcome the challenges inherent in reading.
#66 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUM View Post
I don't know if maybe the moms might be like me, who reads with my son alot, but with three kids, a business, life etc. I just forget to record stuff sometimes. I have alot of friends like that. So that may also be a factor, good for you for reading so much with your son, that's great!
I agree. My daughter reads a ton, but I'm not going to knock myself out over filling out her reading sheet. Her teacher knows she reads. I know she reads. I fill it out when I think about it, usually twice a week, and I write down how many chapters or pages she read over how many days. We're supposed to write down a minute amount, but I found that when I did that she was asking if her time was up yet. Like it was a sentence. More like a prison sentence.

I agree though to the PP - it's great that you read a lot. But the other parents might just not record everything. I actually prefer to find one larger book that we or she can read for many days (the books have to go back and forth to school) rather than picture books. Although I do love picture books as well. Just not for the going back and forth. Because she or I will definitely lose them.
#67 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 10:08 PM

Question for all the first grade mamas.

Is your child still in a carseat and what kind? Mine is in a low back booster using the cars seat belt but I'm pretty unhappy about it. I am thinking about getting another Recaro booster but I have hesitated because I worried she would outgrow it too soon. She's 60 pounds and 7 years old.
#68 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
You know, it depends what kinds of books the kids are reading too. Don't assume everyone's reading the same kind. FWIW, my first grader is reading the Harry Potter series, so there's no way he could read 10 of those every 4-5 weeks...and he reads A LOT.

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#69 of 74 Old 12-14-2006, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

We're loosey goosey with the reading log-since I know dd's reading is up to par I usually guesstimate it the night before it's due.

Jord (sorry, can't replicate those symbols on my computer!) my dd is six and weighs 44 lbs. She's in a Graco turbobooster-and I also am shopping around for a better seat.
#70 of 74 Old 12-15-2006, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
Question for all the first grade mamas.

Is your child still in a carseat and what kind? Mine is in a low back booster using the cars seat belt but I'm pretty unhappy about it. I am thinking about getting another Recaro booster but I have hesitated because I worried she would outgrow it too soon. She's 60 pounds and 7 years old.
Until very recently my DS (almost 7 and around 48) was in a SafeGuard harnessed seat, but I have a new car and it blocked my rear view, so I have moved him into a Recaro Start booster which my 9 year old was using (she now fits without a booster).

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#71 of 74 Old 12-15-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys View Post
You know, it depends what kinds of books the kids are reading too. Don't assume everyone's reading the same kind. FWIW, my first grader is reading the Harry Potter series, so there's no way he could read 10 of those every 4-5 weeks...and he reads A LOT.
Good point, I didn't think of that. We tried Harry Potter and Judy Blume's Fudge books, but ds wasn't quite ready for those, so we are still doing picture books at night, which equals a lot of books.

Mommabelle: ds loved "Captain Underpants." It is a bit crude, but I allow him to read almost anything that holds his interest (of course there are exceptions), because I am really trying to foster the same love for reading in him that I have.

Jörð: It is the law here for kids under 80 pounds to ride in a booster, so ds does still use one. I am afraid I don't know the brand off hand, but it just sits on the sit and he buckles himself into it. He is also 60 pounds. I don't see how he could outgrow this one as I think I could probably (tightly) fit into it. I can check the brand for you next time I go outside.
#72 of 74 Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 AM

Last day of school is today and it's a full day so I think I am going to take off early from work and finish up. My dd is looking forward to being able to sleep in a little bit. We are so ready for a break. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday.
#73 of 74 Old 12-22-2006, 12:48 PM

Hey everyone, today is our last day before break too. There is a holiday programme at school, yesterday they had a sledding party, fun! And we were so lucky the night before to get a group of carolers. My kids loved it.

Happy holidays and best in the new year to everyone, thanks again to mata for starting this thread!
#74 of 74 Old 12-22-2006, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
We had our last day on Tuesday, which was just as well because we got hit with a mega snow storm and wouldn't have been able to go anyway! The children had their holiday singalong concert on Tuesday and it was wonderful and so moving, DH was choked up . We were so impressed with how well all the children sung. Not only did they sing in English, but Mandarin and Spanish too.

Happy Holidays to all the MDC 1st graders from Toby and me!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page