Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new thread!

here's the old:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=532829
#2 of 74 Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yay a new thread! Thanks mata. Okay, I am going to a parent teacher conf today. We don't get report cards, but do get progress reports. I love my son's teacher, but am cognizant that there are probably things she will want us to work on. Good luck to y'all.
#3 of 74 Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

have fun, SMUM-I'd love to hear how it goes.

Time is going so quickly-November break next week, then in just a few weeks we'll have three weeks off for winter break-it always seems like the intensity of school is centered around September/October, then it becomes much more relaxed around here. I like!
#4 of 74 Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 PM

Yes, mata, the beginning was rough, but now it seems to be smoothing out.

The conference went so well. My son's teacher really gets him! And she loves him! And he's doing well. I feel so happy, I see I was pretty nervous, last year's teacher didn't quite understand my son, so this is a wonderful start to the year. Hope everyone else got good feedback.
#5 of 74 Old 11-14-2006, 10:55 AM

Glad your son is doing well. Looking forward to hearing how all her progressing as 1st Graders.
#6 of 74 Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I am glad the conference went well too SMUM. Ours isn't until next week.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 74 Old 11-14-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks guys. Let us know how it goes uccom! I didn't realize how nervous I was until afterward.
#8 of 74 Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUM View Post
Let us know how it goes uccom! I didn't realize how nervous I was until afterward.
I will! I am actually really excited. The teachers have alloted 45 minutes which I think is a nice long time and we will be able to have a decent discussion. I don't anticipate many problems with him.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 AM

Hello! I'm just jumping over from the october thread.

I've been really unimpressed with my son's school this year, to the point that my DH has finally agreed that homeschooling is the best option right now. I've been working on him for years, but now he sees firsthand what a bad match this school is for our DS. There are lots of magnet schools in the area that would probably be so much better, but they admit on a lottery system, and we couldn't switch until next year, that's just too long too wait for a shot at maybe getting in - and most of them are 30-60 minute bus ride, I would not feel good about that. So originally our plan was to pull him out of school at winter break, but now we're going to start home schooling after thanksgiving. YAY! YIKES! I hope I can still lurk here :
#10 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 AM

Of course you can still lurk here! Can you tell us more as to why the school isn't working for you (I'm just totally wanting to hear gossip)?

We have a few more days until our PTC. We're on half-days this week, which is nice, but I have to give the babe a nap soooo early.
#11 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 02:39 AM

Hi ABand3. I am sorry that your DS's school hasn't worked out, but good luck with homeschooling. I homeschool my 9 year old DD even though my 1st grader is in school. I certainly would be homeschooling DS if his school wasn't so awesome. (It only goes up to 2nd grade this year and DD is a 3rd grader.)

Homeschoolers are equally welcome to post here. A 1st grader is a 1st grader whether they learn at home or at school.

#12 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ABand3-congratulations on convincing your dh-that would be a tough sell with mine, too. Good luck with applying to the magnet school-or maybe hsing will work out so well you'll want to continue.

Yesterday I was watching dd as we were walking home from school and was struck by how she's growing and maturing, and how animated, happy, and secure she is in herself. It makes me so happy. I can tell all of the experiences in her life are supporting that, and it feels good to know many pieces are in place for now, especially after the whole period of soul-searching where I wondered if I was doing what's best for her. Whew!
#13 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Good Morning 1st grade tribe. I'm so sleepy this morning..it's yucky weather here and I want to crawl back in bed!
uccomama..wow 45 min for conferece. That's great.
ABand3..good for you! Hope it all get's better from here.
I'm still not crazy about dd teacher but she's a little better.
#14 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Can you tell us more as to why the school isn't working for you
The school system here is a mess, IMO. From the outside looking in (which we were a year ago, before moving here) it looks great - good test scores, innovative programs, diversity. But, there are few true neighborhood schools - my DS attends our 'base' school, but no one else on our street goes there - they go to a year round, magnets, private. Our school has no sense of community. It looks and feels very bland and generic to me, no excitement, no pride, low morale.

Also, my son has started feeling bothered by the fact that school is boring. He was academically ahead starting in preschool, but he never noticed or was bothered by it until now. He says he feels like he's still in preschool. His teacher is very sweet and concerned for him, and has made accomodations to try to keep him challenged and interested, but she also has 20 other students to worry about, and her job really is to make sure those who are struggling are up to grade level. Yup, it's all about the test, and those children who already know what's on the test are expected to just hang out while the others catch up. He's bored and frustrated that school and homework take time away from things he wants to be doing, like reading books and learning spanish.
#15 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Hello,
I am new to mdc and trying to find my way around. I hope it is ok for me to join this thread. I have a dd who is in 1st grade.
We had parent teacher conf last month and ours are only 20 min long, 45 min wow!!
I love dd's teacher she is a older teacher probably in her 50's she reminds me of the teacher from the magic school bus. She is very caring and takes her time.My dd is also in speech and has been since she was 3.She is also getting help in speech w reading because she is having a bit of a problem in that area.She is just won a award last night from the optimist club for being caring,kind and welcoming to new students.One child from each grade is selected each month.
#16 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 PM

We had our PTC a couple of weeks ago & I think it went pretty well.
Dd's teacher is very happy with her & the only things he really suggested she work on were being more 'self-directed' & 'listening & following instructions more closely'.
He talked for a while about how he likes to see the students do things for themselves & have parents just drop them off & leave. When he was done I told him (very tactfully, I think ) that we have a different philosophy & that we try to do everything for dd that we can if she asks, so she feels that support & trusts that we will be there to help her. He seemed very surprised & a little taken aback (but in a good way), like he had never heard anything like that before! He said that whatever we were doing seemed to be working, but he would still like to see a bit more independence in the classroom as far as getting her day started. She is fine when I am not there, but if I stay, she is looking to me to help her.
Part of the problem is that we are often running late & I'm helping her rush in & get things ready before her day starts - my fault :.
Anyway, I think we get report cards week after next - I also am not so concerned about any kind of 'marks' as such, I just like to read about all the wonderful things someone else sees in my dd .

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#17 of 74 Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I think we get report cards week after next - I also am not so concerned about any kind of 'marks' as such, I just like to read about all the wonderful things someone else sees in my dd .
Me too
#18 of 74 Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

weighing in with our parent/teacher chat-it went as well as I expected-the teacher had lots of nice things to say and dd is exceeding expectations in all areas. The teacher said she's particularly strong in math and literary analysis (funny to be using that phrase with a first grader) and had some good ideas for special projects she thought dd would enjoy doing. I'm all for that! But most importantly she said dd applies herself well, loves learning, tries to do her best, and treats her classmates well.
#19 of 74 Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 PM

That's great, mata, and all the others, it's always good to hear how wonderful your child is!
#20 of 74 Old 11-17-2006, 12:36 AM

mata what a great conference. You must be very proud of your DD!

#21 of 74 Old 11-18-2006, 02:01 AM

We had our conference today. It was great. The teacher says she loves having her in class, and is a very fun and wonderful kid. The only thing is that sometimes she gets done and really gets a bunch of kids going, being silly or ridiculous. But her teacher said it wasn't that big of a deal, and now she's sitting with a fairly studious, quiet bunch of girls. Poor kiddo!

Academically, she's just fine, but the teacher said that she might start pushing my daughter a little more to what she knows she's capable of (i.e. writing more stories, longer stories, etc). I told her that we were not the sort of parents that wanted her to be pushed so much, we mostly want her to have fun at school and do what she wants to do. So she seemed fine with that too.

So, it was good, overall. Apparently, we do get report cards with checks, minuses, or pluses on them (in the mail, or something). I think I'll just throw it away and not tell her about them unless she asks. She doesn't even need to know about this part of school, the grading and percentages and etc. : Can I shelter her forever?
#22 of 74 Old 11-18-2006, 12:14 PM

Good news on the conf. Flyingspaghettimama!
#23 of 74 Old 11-18-2006, 04:43 PM

I am happy to read all went well with the conference flyingspaghettimama!

#24 of 74 Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 AM

I can finally post about our P/T conference. It was fine. DS is doing well with his reading, he has a firm grasp of phonics (I started teaching him to read using phonics at home last year, so I was pleased to hear this), he has progressed from Bob books now. His writing and spelling are coming on nicely and he concentrates well on his work and does not get distracted. He understands math concepts well so his math teacher has been giving him more advanced concepts to deal with, for example trading. The school uses Investigations math but supplements with Montessori math, which is a great relief, because I don't particularly like Investigations.

As for the area of Compassion (friends and social interactions), Toby is doing really well. He is well liked and fits in with several groups: the soccer group (he is the school's star player), a couple of less athletic, querkier boys, and he is also comfortable playing with girls. His math teacher felt he still hasn't gotten to know the real Toby yet, but I was not surprised, as he is a very private child. But he shares in class and asks questions. His literacy teacher commented that he is beginning to "act out" in Spanish and this is a good thing (!) because it shows he is feeling comfortable to be himself without fear of being reprimanded. I just hope he doesn't go too far in his acting out! I think the fear of not wanting to get into trouble stems from last year in kindergarten, different school, different teacher (obviously) who sent him to the office for something that really didn't warrant punishment. The children were in the hallway and he was at the back of the line and was told to run and catch up to the other children. He did but couldnt stop himself in time and accidently crashed into a child so he was sent to the office for "pushing" into a child. This punishment had a profound effect on him, and he was terrified to do anything wrong which might get him sent to the office again.

I also told them his UC birth story which blew his teachers away, they kept saying how brave I was (NOT). They both felt that it helped them gain some insight into who he is.

#25 of 74 Old 11-22-2006, 01:36 AM

What a fascinating conference, uccomama! I only wish I got that much info. I'm jealous of the combo of investigations and montessori math - I still remember the "trading" lesson from when I was a kid in Montessori. I think my issue with Investigations is that the Big Picture isn't always made explicit: my daughter learned about math patterns by making them, but she didn't understand why, or how she would apply the same concept to other situations in the future. And they are very important, but only if you understand the why and how. You know?
#26 of 74 Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

glad your conferences went well, flyingspaghettimama and uccomama.

uccomama-thanks for putting the word compassion out there-it inspired me to do some things at home with dd in that regard.
#27 of 74 Old 11-22-2006, 12:37 PM

So it's tgiving, four days off, what are you going to do with your child/ren? I was thinking of doing some crafts, and making cookies, and playing in the snow (yes, snow is forecast, we live in Montana, actually my kids could not be more excited about that!)
Maybe some book reading, my son loves to play chess now...what are you going to do? (ideas would be excellent!)
Also, relaxing and doing nothing is okay in my book!
#28 of 74 Old 11-22-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUM View Post
So it's tgiving, four days off, what are you going to do with your child/ren? I was thinking of doing some crafts, and making cookies, and playing in the snow (yes, snow is forecast, we live in Montana, actually my kids could not be more excited about that!)
Maybe some book reading, my son loves to play chess now...what are you going to do? (ideas would be excellent!)
Also, relaxing and doing nothing is okay in my book!

sounds wonderful, SMUM! I'm a bit jealous about Montana and the snow-it's been in the 90s here. At least today and tomorrow will cool off a little-to the 70s. Where are you in MT? I used to go to ID and spent time in the southwest section of MT as well-gorgeous!

So far we hit the museums in LA-went to the LaBrea Tar Pits and the art museum to see the Magritte exhibit. Yesterday I took both of my daughters to see Happy Feet and we went out for lunch with dh. Today we've cooked some dishes for tomorrow (we baked a pumpkin pie, made slaw w/brussel sprouts, radicchio, pine nuts, goat cheese in a champagne/orange vinagrette-hee hee can you tell I'm a foodie-I have to list the entire recipe) and as soon as the wild rice is done we're heading out for a bike ride. I have some reading put aside as well for the afternoon-Mr. Rogers' The Giving Box, which is a compilation of various multicultural stories about giving-which seems appropriate for the holiday. Most importantly, my daughters have time to just be-to play together, to rest-I love not having to be somewhere or do something.
#29 of 74 Old 11-22-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
sounds wonderful, SMUM! I'm a bit jealous about Montana and the snow-it's been in the 90s here. At least today and tomorrow will cool off a little-to the 70s. Where are you in MT? I used to go to ID and spent time in the southwest section of MT as well-gorgeous!

So far we hit the museums in LA-went to the LaBrea Tar Pits and the art museum to see the Magritte exhibit. Yesterday I took both of my daughters to see Happy Feet and we went out for lunch with dh. Today we've cooked some dishes for tomorrow (we baked a pumpkin pie, made slaw w/brussel sprouts, radicchio, pine nuts, goat cheese in a champagne/orange vinagrette-hee hee can you tell I'm a foodie-I have to list the entire recipe) and as soon as the wild rice is done we're heading out for a bike ride. I have some reading put aside as well for the afternoon-Mr. Rogers' The Giving Box, which is a compilation of various multicultural stories about giving-which seems appropriate for the holiday. Most importantly, my daughters have time to just be-to play together, to rest-I love not having to be somewhere or do something.
Yes, we live in the sw part of MT which is beautiful, Bozeman.

I used to live in LA, I remember the La Brea Tar Pits, what a cool place! Mmmm your food sounds so gourmet, your family is lucky. Sounds like a really nice day. Like you said, the most important thing is being together in a nice restful (for a change!) way.
#30 of 74 Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 PM

We've been cooking today too. We are going to my Mom's and everybody brings sides while she does mains. I made greens and lime bars with white chocolate on top. Mata...that slaw sounds yummy!
I hope all of you enjoy your day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page