What am I supposed to be doin now???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-23-2003, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I have been in a bizarre panic of sorts this week, although completely irrational. My dd turned 4 on Sunday. Before I had her I read every book about infant developement, toddler stages, how to rationalize with my 3 year old. I have a library of books on creative play from ages, 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. But it was like my mind never thought she would get past that age. So now for some reason I am in panic and feel like I don't know what I am supposed to be doing now. I know that sounds crazy. I feel like I suddenly have a "kid" instead of a "baby". She just weaned totally a month ago, so I am sure that contributes. But suddenly I am feeling like I need to assign her chores, give her allowance and responsibility, teach her to read and ride a bike and so on.

So I guess I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Also, does anyone have a good book recommmendation about developement at this age, appropriate behavior and reactions, what types of play and learning are natural now? Finally, what chores or house help do you have your 4 (or 3 or 5) year olds do? What is appropriate for this age?

I know this is a bit nutty of a panic, but I feel like it is time to do all the parenting things I have been slacking on.

TIA,
Joanna
#2 of 3 Old 04-23-2003, 06:50 PM

Even though they are a bit out-of-date, I love the series by Ames and Ilg, the ones titled "Your Four year Old, "Your Five Year Old" and so on.

My dd is four and I have definitely noticed that she has turned into a big kid in the past year. She doesn't get an allowance, and I'm not teaching her to read, but she does have some responsilbilities around the house - cleaning up her own toys, bringing her dishes to the sink, helping me with the laundry or shopping, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about this, but i do beleive that helping with the day to day stuff teaches children how to be contributing members of the family, and it also makes them feel good!

The most significant change I have seen over the past year is the importance of friendships. At three, she enjoyed the company of other kids, but at four, she NEEDS other kids to play with, so they can make up their stories and act them out, or be silly together, or whatever else they do. I don't know if you plan on sending your child to preschool, but if you do not, then arranging play dates and joining some classes or just going to playgrounds and encouraging her to make new friends is a good idea.

Don't panic, by the way!
#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2003, 06:52 PM

You Are Your Child's First Teacher is an excellent book and covers through year 7.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page