school lunch menus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-18-2006, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're about to move to a big city and I'm pretty happy with the school lunch menus. I like that they give the option of choosing an extra fruit or veg if the kids don't like (or can't eat) the entree. Austin is a pretty progressive town and they seem to acknowledge that some kids might be vegetarians. Here's a link to the menu:

http://www.austinisd.org/schools/menus/es.phtml

And here's the menu for the school district we're leaving. They seem to serve some kind of fried meat every day.

http://www.dentonisd.org/51238713152...BCOB=0&C=63414

So, what kind of options do your kids have for school lunches (besides packing their own)? I'm really curious to see some other lunch menus.

peace, Beth
#2 of 29 Old 11-18-2006, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD in preschool and gets "breakfast" there choices are

oatmeal (malt o meal brand) in regular, apple cinnimom or maple and brown sugar
cold cereal in rasin bran, cheerios or rice crispies
eggs
morning star brand sasuage links
regular soy or rice milk
orange apple or grape juice
orange slices bannanas or apple slices

sometimes added to the menu
waffle sticks
breakfast "pizza"

They can pretty much pick any thing they want all meals are served fa,mily style and the kids take "turns" with regards to settingthe table serving each is responsiblle for clearing there place (its all disposable) and "cleaning the serving stuff.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#3 of 29 Old 11-18-2006, 10:47 PM

The food here might sound ok, but it LOOKS nasty. It is all prepakaged, wrapped in plastic wrap, heated in a wrapper, wilted, yuck. I hate when they serve these:

http://www.smuckers.com/fg/otg/uncrustables/default.asp

how hard is it to serve REAL peanut butter and jelly???
#4 of 29 Old 11-18-2006, 10:57 PM

My school districts menu has changed but only slightly and it is still full of junk food.

dd had breakfast at school friday and it was either:
2pcs toast or
1 bagel or
1 pc toast and a bowl of cereal which was cinnamon sugar stuff, fruit loops
juice
choch milk, 2% milk or skim

*oy* and did I mention all the cereal choices are the sugary kind.
I attended a meeting about this issue 2yrs ago and not much has changed.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 29 Old 11-18-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
The food here might sound ok, but it LOOKS nasty. It is all prepakaged, wrapped in plastic wrap, heated in a wrapper, wilted, yuck. I hate when they serve these:

http://www.smuckers.com/fg/otg/uncrustables/default.asp

how hard is it to serve REAL peanut butter and jelly???
Eww DD stuff is actually very yummy looking the eggs and meats and waffle pizza stuff are all made right "in" the classroom (kitchen area shared between two classrooms) right before kids rotate helping to cook the cereals are in individual packages and the milk / juices also come in individual sized containers.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#6 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 02:09 AM

We have a great school lunch program. I live in Berkeley, CA - home to Alice Waters and the Chez Panisse foundation which has given money to our schools to make school lunches an integral part of our curriculum. So during dd's cooking classes they make things that are on the school lunch menu and they grow in the garden at school the food used in the cooking class menus.

We are lucky to have Ann Cooper, author of Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children
as our food services Director.

You can go here to find our menu for the year BUSD Nutrition Services 06-07 Menu

I believe that all food is now made from scratch. They use only wholegrains in all breads. They no longer use any milk products with Bovine Growth hormone in it. There is a salad bar at every school with mostly organic produce. The district tries to buy locally produced food whenever possible.

Needless to say, I am impressed. I want dd to get school lunch everyday because it is so healthy!
#7 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth-TX View Post
We're about to move to a big city and I'm pretty happy with the school lunch menus. I like that they give the option of choosing an extra fruit or veg if the kids don't like (or can't eat) the entree. Austin is a pretty progressive town and they seem to acknowledge that some kids might be vegetarians. Here's a link to the menu:

http://www.austinisd.org/schools/menus/es.phtml

And here's the menu for the school district we're leaving. They seem to serve some kind of fried meat every day.

http://www.dentonisd.org/51238713152...BCOB=0&C=63414

So, what kind of options do your kids have for school lunches (besides packing their own)? I'm really curious to see some other lunch menus.

peace, Beth
We are in Denton ISD & DS only buys his lunch occasionally. He just doesn't like much on the menu.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#8 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM

Here is ours:

http://www.parklandsd.org/PDF%20files/elemmenu.pdf

It is so revolting- especially if you are veg. How does the government justify this crap as being "nutritional?"

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#9 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 06:46 PM

My kids also go to school in Berkeley ca and I am extremely impressed with their lunch/breakfast menu this year. It is much better than in years past. I guess people are finally starting to come around regarding what we feed our children. I do have to say that some of the kids seem to not want the healthier foods but maybe the incoming kindergarteners will be never get exposed to the awful school lunches of the past and actually begin to like the good food!!
#10 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 06:54 PM

Wow Amila, I didn't know psd was so big (unless you moved and your "location" is worng, it's a lot bigger than I thought)!! We used to live in that area, and the taxes are unreal. I am sad to see that none of that money goes to the school lunchs.

Our school lunches here are much improved over what they used to be... but they still leave much to be desired. At least they finally took the soda and chip machines out of the lunch room this summer There is no option aside from hot lunch or bagging one. My kids take lunch about 1/2 the time.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#11 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
We have a great school lunch program. I live in Berkeley, CA - home to Alice Waters and the Chez Panisse foundation which has given money to our schools to make school lunches an integral part of our curriculum. So during dd's cooking classes they make things that are on the school lunch menu and they grow in the garden at school the food used in the cooking class menus.

We are lucky to have Ann Cooper, author of Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children
as our food services Director.

You can go here to find our menu for the year BUSD Nutrition Services 06-07 Menu

I believe that all food is now made from scratch. They use only wholegrains in all breads. They no longer use any milk products with Bovine Growth hormone in it. There is a salad bar at every school with mostly organic produce. The district tries to buy locally produced food whenever possible.

Needless to say, I am impressed. I want dd to get school lunch everyday because it is so healthy!
yum!
#12 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM

No no we live in Hellertown now and the school district is saucon but parkland had an online menu so I just included that one

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#13 of 29 Old 11-20-2006, 11:38 AM

My dd is veg, and so we peruse the school lunch calendar verry carefully --she's a 4th grader, and WANTS to buy more, like her friends. I'd say we average 4-5 lunches a month that she CAN actually buy. And that has been an improvement. Every day there is a choice (meaning 2 options), and every day it's chick'n nuggets, burgers, tacos, etc. When they offer yogurt, it's Trix yogurt, full of fillers and dyes. I found out a few years ago that the "fruit snack" is what it says, those "fruit snack" gelatin candy things, rather than, I don't know, actual fruit!! And the fruit they do offer is so not appetizing...tiny hard little Red Delicious apples that are anything but delicious.

That said, in the past year, they have really been trying...so some months she can buy a salad 2 or 3 times a month, or her fav, tomato soup and a toasted cheese sandwich that is NOT an uncrustable...she came home from school so hungry the day she accidentally ordered the "grilled cheese uncrustable."

Her friends say she has the best lunches anyway, because we both work on including something from each food group. And she has the coolest thermos for hot soups and leftovers...

School districts just don't believe that kids like good food...guess there's something in the water in Berkeley or something, huh??
#14 of 29 Old 12-12-2006, 11:31 PM

I think it is terrible that schools don't offer a vegetarian option. What are kids supposed to do? Don't some kids get free school lunch? Does that mean they have to eat meat????

Okay, now I appreciate what we have even more...dd's school has a veg option and a full salad bar everyday.

We need a school lunch revolution!
#15 of 29 Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM

Deidre: Well, lack of a consistent veg option (which, btw, always includes dairy), has been the straw that has brought out the latent activist in my child. She is learning the persuasive and argumentative essay in class, and every one she writes has to do with the need for better food in the cafeteria. I think she's run up against, "but you're the only vegetarian in school", which we have been learning is a lie, sh's just the loudest lol!!

I peruse the articles about the Berkeley SD lunch program with awe!!
#16 of 29 Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:

How much does your wonderful school lunch cost?

I wish we had options like this. My DD has Spaghetti lunch once/month and the salad is all grown organically on the grounds, but the spaghetti is white processed cheap stuff and the sauce is filled with corn syrup and sugar.
#17 of 29 Old 12-13-2006, 01:35 PM

DS is in Pre-K at a public school and usually eats something like waffles, french toast, or biscuit with jelly for breakfast. Sugar, sugar, sugar. I try to feed him breakfast at home, but we are usually in too much of a rush. For lunch, they have healthier options like salads and lots of vegetables. They also usually have a very unhealthy entree like pizza, mini corn dogs, or something like that, but thankfully my son only eats the vegetables most days. He loves corn and green beans, and those are staples at his school.

DD eats breakfast at home, but she does eat lunch at daycare. They serve a wide variety of things, ranging from grilled chicken to sloppy joes. She is so picky that probably only two or three bites of it make it down her throat, so I don't worry about their menu too much.
#18 of 29 Old 12-13-2006, 04:28 PM

http://www.sbcsc.k12.in.us/menu-prim-1.htm

ours is horrid. they do not actually cook anything and orange jello is considered a friut and pickles are consideredd a vegetable.

Ds wants to buy though, as most of his friends do, so I allow him to pick one lunch a week to buy and we pack the rest of the time. Luckliy he likes salad and is a big fruit and veggie eater, so I can feel good knowing even when he is eating the schools chicken niblets or whatever that he will also eat the carrots and dip (if they are so lucky as to have a fresh veggie that day - often its california blend in cheese sauce - ack!) or the apple slices or whatever.

What I feel sorry for is the kids who eat both breakfast and lunch at school in our district and that is considered their healthy meals.

ps. i also hate the uncrustables. bah.
#19 of 29 Old 12-13-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
We need a school lunch revolution!
I agree 100%, I wish I knew where to begin - ideas anyone?
#20 of 29 Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM

We just had one here in the uk

it was lead by jamie oliver, he had a whole series on tv called school dinners. he highlighted how bad the food is and started a training camp to teach dinner ladies how to cook.

it made a lot of waves and is continuing to have a lot of practical implications, even the government has sat up and taken notice.

here is the lunch menu from my sons school,

http://www.st-neots-prep.co.uk/jkcm/...umnWk%2014.pdf

i am happy with it. in the lower school there is no choice, they dont start getting a choice till main school (age 7 - 8)
#21 of 29 Old 12-15-2006, 08:52 PM

School lunch is one of the reasons that I homeschool. I looked at the menus beforehand and it was full of processed food. Bleh! Not stuff we would eat at home!

Growing up I loved the fried meat. And the rolls were so yummy! They don't do the rolls here. I know my DD and she would eat the pizza every day.
#22 of 29 Old 12-22-2006, 02:49 PM

$2.00 including milk

My 3 yo and I usually go into school to eat lunch with my 1st grade dd once a week. I never brought lunch as a child, but I like what they serve at dd's school.

Each day the kids can chose from hot lunch, tuna sandwich, cheese sandwich or pizza. The kids are required to take a milk and at least one veggie and one fruit. The "fun" fruit and veggie offerings usually include packages of carrots, sliced kiwi, oranges (lunch ladies will cut with a machine) and apples (lunch ladies will cut with a machine). Extra fruits and veggies are always available at no charge. Every Friday there is a beautiful salad bar with tons of choices of veggies and dressings.

The regular menu items include fijitas, pizza, open-faced turkey sandwiches, baked ham and cheese on an english muffin, pasta with a choice os sauce, triple-decker grilled cheese w/ tomato soup, BBQ chicken subs and baked potato bar. (that is all I can remember right now)

What I don't like about the cafeteria is that the children are allowed to buy a snack. The rule is that the snacks have to contain less that 7 grams of fat. The snacks range from goldfish and fruit ice pops to fruit by the foot. I give dd $1/week to buy snack like to other kids.

Love to hear what other cafterias are serving!
#23 of 29 Old 12-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Some of you posted breakfast menus. I have never heard of breakfast being served in school. From my experience, I don't that eating breakfast in school is common in New Englad

Do the kids go in earlier? Do you feed them breakfast at home? Do you have a choice of eating at school or home? Please elaborate.
#24 of 29 Old 12-22-2006, 07:02 PM

averysmom: Breakfast is offered to kids who are in the beforecare program at our school, you know, with working parents who have to drop them off real early in the morning.
I also think that schools that get Title 1 funds for low-income kids have to offer breakfast so that these kids get 2 "good" meals at school.
#25 of 29 Old 12-22-2006, 08:46 PM

Thanks darlindeliasmom. I didn't know.

#26 of 29 Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 PM

oliversmum2000, Jamie Oliver is great (I'm a fan), uses simple ingredients that pack lots of flavor

Deirdre, when I lived in NoCA I read lots about Alice Waters and the local schools and hoped that one day when I had kids they might have the same offerings. I'm pretty sure she's influenced a lot of other schools since then.

Our school hired a woman from CA (Berkeley area if I recall) to create a healthy menu. I read about it back in Sept and have forgotten details. Basically, they switched from white to whole flours and grains, removed trans fats and high fruit syrups, and added soy and organic items. It costs $2.75 a meal, and about $1.50 or so for any other snacks. I can't flip the bill every day but I'm pleased about the changes.

My dd is in K so I'm sending her in with choc milk & Sunchips as a little snack for now. I can do better. Good thread, I need to kick back in gear with healthy foods.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#27 of 29 Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 PM

Our school has a universal free lunch... I think it goes hand in hand with how many kids get free or reduced lunch too. We live in a pretty economically depressed area. We also have free brown bag lunch all summer at the local play grounds.

I do drop my kids off early at school if I need to be in work early or they have a big project that they cannot take on the bus (so far twice this year). Here, we can drop the kids off at 8:30, school starts at 9... the bus gets them to school at 5 till 9. My kids like going in, hanging out with friends and eating stuff we don't have at home Usually they get french toast sticks (3 with a little thing of "syrup"). The cafeteria also gives them milk or OJ with the breakfast. DS tells me they can also pick small boxes of junk cereal (like froot loops), bagels w/ cream cheese, butter or jelly, or toast and scrambled eggs.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#28 of 29 Old 12-23-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
Our school has a universal free lunch... I think it goes hand in hand with how many kids get free or reduced lunch too. We live in a pretty economically depressed area. We also have free brown bag lunch all summer at the local play grounds.

I do drop my kids off early at school if I need to be in work early or they have a big project that they cannot take on the bus (so far twice this year). Here, we can drop the kids off at 8:30, school starts at 9... the bus gets them to school at 5 till 9. My kids like going in, hanging out with friends and eating stuff we don't have at home Usually they get french toast sticks (3 with a little thing of "syrup"). The cafeteria also gives them milk or OJ with the breakfast. DS tells me they can also pick small boxes of junk cereal (like froot loops), bagels w/ cream cheese, butter or jelly, or toast and scrambled eggs.
we have that too - ds' school doesn't have universal free lunch, but the one i work in does - and they do summer lunch in the parks as well.
#29 of 29 Old 12-23-2006, 10:40 PM

At my DS's school they are offered a salad, baked potato or PB&J sandwich daily so there's definitely something for vegetarians if needed. But usually they have things on the menu each week like chicken nuggets, hot dogs, pizza, grilled chicken sandwich, and one veggie per day like corn, peas or potatoes and a roll. I have no problem with it as long as they are eating and don't go hungry. I pay $2.50 per day for their lunches as it's a private school.

They don't offer breakfast at the school. We can take care of that much atleast at home.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page