Suggestions for chapter books - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-24-2003, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions for chapter books for a 5 year old boy? We have read Teddy Robinson, Ark in the Park, and Stuart Little. I use Chinaberry as a resource frequently.
#2 of 20 Old 04-24-2003, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ramona the Pest (about a 5 year old girl) or Socks (about a cat) by Beverly Cleary

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 20 Old 04-24-2003, 02:02 PM

We have been reading Little House in the Big Woods and my 6-year-old son loves it.
#4 of 20 Old 04-24-2003, 02:31 PM

Two series my nephew enjoyed: Ursula LeGuin's Catwings (about cats who were born with wings; I think there are 4 books in the series), and Gertrude Chandler Warner's Boxcar Children.

We were doing the original Oz books for awhile, but got stymied because the library only had 1 copy of Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz and it was checked out...I was pretty Oz-ed out by then anyway, as it was book 4. So we took a break to read Wind in the Willows. I'm reading to 2 girls, ages 7 and 3, BTW, and WitW was definitely above the 3yo's level.

Mouse and the Motorcycle, or other Ralph Mouse books by Beverly Cleary.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (dh loved parts of this series, and kept reading ahead).

Also, ask the children's librarian at your local public library. The librarians at our library are *wonderful* at coming up with books for us, or else pointing me to cool indexes which group books every which way.
#5 of 20 Old 04-24-2003, 02:38 PM
glh

My son loved "The Animal Family" when he was five and I ordered it from Chinaberry!
#6 of 20 Old 04-24-2003, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! There are a few I hadn't heard of before. What is the Animal Family about?
#7 of 20 Old 04-25-2003, 12:28 AM

The Little House books, The Littles, My Father's Dragon... those are few offhand.
#8 of 20 Old 04-26-2003, 11:59 PM

I'm not sure who wrote it, but what about Charlotte's Web?
#9 of 20 Old 04-27-2003, 01:23 AM

Queen Gwen, our family looooves Catwings! They may be my daughters' favorite books!

Some other ones we've enjoyed:
Pippi Longstocking
Wolf Story
Dr. Doolitle
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
Charlotte's Web

Not exactly chapter books, but a similar idea (a different story each night, but connected):
Aesop's Fables
D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths
#10 of 20 Old 04-27-2003, 01:30 AM

The My Father's Dragon trilogy
Wind in the Willows
the Pooh books by A.A. Milne
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Lookingglass
#11 of 20 Old 04-27-2003, 01:41 AM

I also vote for the Little House books as well as Charlotte's Web, and I'd also suggest the Mary Pope Osborne Magic TreeHouse series. It is a formula series, but everyone here enjoys them.
#12 of 20 Old 04-28-2003, 02:39 PM
glh

The Animal Family is about a hunter who lives alone in the woods. He meets a mermaid and together they adopt various animals and finally an orphaned little boy. It is just a very sweet, gentle story.
#13 of 20 Old 04-28-2003, 07:24 PM

Dd is four and loved Pippi Longstocking (I think there are three or four of them), though I did edit out some of the language (stupid, kill, etc. and some of the violence -Pippi kicks a**!).

In the same Scandinavian theme, the Moomintroll books are fantastic!! There are a bunch of them... Tove Janssen (sp) is the author. Finn Family Moomintroll is the first in the series, but they can be read in any order. Dd wasn't into them but I love them and plan to try her out on them again later.
#14 of 20 Old 04-30-2003, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

So many good books to read. I can't wait to get started. We read a good book called Teddy Robinson. The stories stand alone by chapter, but all are about a girl and her teddy bear. They have many wonderful adventures. I got it through Chinaberry.
#15 of 20 Old 04-30-2003, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mom at home, was My Father's Dragon scarey? Sometimes the plots are to suspenseful for my son before bed.
#16 of 20 Old 04-30-2003, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Charlotte's Web is by E.B. White. I suggest pre-reading it to see if it will upset your son--it gave me a lump in my throat for weeks after the hour of sobbing when I finished it, and I was older, like 8 or 9.

I loved Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew mysteries at that age. If he'd prefer a male protagonist, look for Danny Dunn--not mysteries per se but cool adventures. Sorry I can't remember the author's name.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#17 of 20 Old 04-30-2003, 02:22 PM

The My Father's Dragon series is really not scarrey. It's very geared towards young children. The dragons are very nice, their are some mean people, but I don't remember my then 6 and 3 yr olds being bothered at all with it.
#18 of 20 Old 04-30-2003, 04:10 PM

When my son was 5, we read The Wind Boy over and over again. Got it from Chinaberry. It's a sweet book. And what about A. A. Milne's original Winnie the Pooh stories? My son is 7 now and still loves to have those read to him, although my 4 year old can't quite sit still for it yet. Those books are so charming and sweet and fun to read out loud "in character."
#19 of 20 Old 05-02-2003, 01:12 AM

Bud,Not Buddy- I reccomend this book. I am not sure about for a 5 year old that would depend on you. it is about a boy during the depression whose mother died he does not know his father and is in foster care. he decides to find is dad based on some flyers for a band his mom kept. it is written for elementary children,it was part of my dd's book parade. It is a great story, gives oppurtunity to discuss what it was lik being poor, homeless and African american. it has a great ending.Also the Doll People is good and Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher.Also what about the classics, Tom sawyer and Huck Finn.
#20 of 20 Old 05-03-2003, 11:00 PM

Junie B Jones~She is a crack up!!
Heidi
Any Roald Dahl~he is a wacko, and some stuff can be scary, but delicious and well written.
A Swifty Tilting Planet , Wind in Door ect. by Madeiline L'Engle
Everyone has already mentioned the others I was thinking of.....Happy Reading!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page