When did he get so particular?!?!? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-25-2003, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 1/2 year old son is SOOO partucular! He gets frustrated when there is a gap between his shoes and his pants, he must wear gloves on and off and when he does the sleeve of his shirt must cover the top of the glove - He's into wearing all one color and he will go and dig in the laundry searching for pants to match his shirt or vice versa - Anyone else experienc this? :LOL

I actually find it kind of cute but on ocassion he literally throws a tantrum when things aren't fitting the way he wants them to and it can get a little frustrating : especially when I'm trying to get out the door with him and a baby - then his pickies really get me down
#2 of 4 Old 04-27-2003, 01:36 AM

I haven't experienced it personally, but I had a friend whose daughter was like this. Everything with her had to be just so.

One of her things was that she was big into rainbows, and if she had things in a few colors of the rainbow, she had to complete the rainbow. She would throw a serious tantrum if she had red, orange, yellow, green, and blue, but didn't have violet.

It was obvious to me that this girl was brilliant.

I have to say I have lost touch with this family so I don't know how she's doing now.
#3 of 4 Old 04-27-2003, 11:42 AM

Yes, I have two of those. Mine both have sensory issues, as well as an almost obsessive desire to have things a certain way. You live, you learn- pick your battles LOL Mine are 7 and almost 4 now.
#4 of 4 Old 04-28-2003, 06:42 AM

Oh yes! My eldest, who also has sensory difficulties, is huge on this kind of thing. The latest clothing thing with my DS is the necks of things have to be tight but not too tight. Exactly right. I won't bore you with other areas but I can admit to being entirely frustrated at times.

What I have found best is, as someone else said, pick your battles. The only thing that does work is patience and listening. At times I have locked myself in the bathroom to stop myself screaming with frustration. This helps too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page