Phasing out naps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-06-2002, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can I learn to take the nap question day by day? Dd is almost 3 1/2, and still SO needs her nap, but she's usually up after 5 pm if she has one, and then takes FOREVER to go to sleep. It is almost impossible to make any plans for late afternoon, because I may or may not be tied to my house. Also, I'm having to start to pay Serious attention to dd#2 nap (20 months) otherwise she's up all night. I want a SCHEDULE that stays consistent. I know, that's unrealistic. Mostly, I just want to know if anyone had a successful phasing out of naps, or if it was as sporadic for everyone else as it is for us.
#2 of 4 Old 02-06-2002, 04:08 AM

I always napped alongside my kids. Both outgrew the need to nap at about 3.5 yo, by not falling asleep during the time we were lying down together. So I offered books and told them they could either sleep or quietly read. Sometimes they would read themselves to sleep, but usually not. Now at ages 4 (almost) and 6, we still have what we call "resting time" where we all lie down and read for an hour. (But I am the only one who often falls asleep!) On days when we are out in the afternoon, we skip "resting" and they are excited because they think they are getting away with something! But we always go back to it the next day, and often, even after I tell them an hour is up, they continue to read for quite a while!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, that having that hour of quiet time makes all the difference in their evening behavior. They end up quite refreshed, and go to bed on time (usually).
#3 of 4 Old 02-06-2002, 07:02 PM

My older two sons had to be forced to give up naps when they started kindergarten at age 5.5 - even with consistent, reasonable bedtimes they just really needed that extra break in the day. Possibly because they are so active. #3 is now 4.5 and naps most days but I don't sweat it if we are busy and he misses one - just needs an early bedtime. Naps are generally about 2 hours...I wake him up if he sleeps longer. I think it is important to respect each childs need for sleep.
#4 of 4 Old 02-07-2002, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. Part of the frustration is that dd#2 is not 2 yet, and takes her nap at about 11:3- for a couple hours-ish. They almost never collaborate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page