Almost 5 yr old boy having potty accidents all day long? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-01-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister just called me today and was telling me how frustrated she is that my nephew....almost 5yrs old is still wetting his pants throughout the day. She explained that he might wet his pants and she will tell him to go change and in 5 minutes he will have wet pants again. (he actually has had nights where he stays dry) She has been to doctors who said nothing was wrong and wouldnt investigate further. Sounds to me like she needs to go into a pediatrician armed with info of what could be causing this so if there is something wrong physically she can demand the tests that would bring answers.

Has anyone gone through this with their little boy? what are the possibilities here? My nephew is the sweetest, most adorable, and sensitive little guy. I want to help find a solution.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#2 of 7 Old 12-01-2006, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could it be a psychological issue? Is there something that he could be upset about? Have there been any major changes for him lately?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 7 Old 12-01-2006, 11:47 PM

Hi, my DD2 was also having issues and our ped. said sometimes it takes time for them to understand their bodies signals. Plenty of reminders to go potty and to not make it a power issue even though it's hard not to be frustrated when your up to your eyeballs in wet pants: And if its happening for an extended amount of time or If there are any unexplained fevers, back or tummy aches, foul smelling urine, he should get checked for UTI. My DD ended up having several. And these only aggrevated the issue. Good luck
#4 of 7 Old 12-01-2006, 11:51 PM

My dd is almost 7 and we are still going through this. She just makes the choice that stopping what she is doing to go to the bathroom is more hassle than wet pants : It is driving us crazy. So sorry, I have no advice, just that it is not as rare as one might think (or hope!).

Carolynn
#5 of 7 Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 PM

here are my thoughts.

If he is really wet again 5 minutes after he changes his clothes, it sounds like perhaps he isn't emptying his bladder when he goes the first time, which might make sense if he is trying to hold it, some would be retained.

maybe he's drinking too much fluids and it's making the problem worse.

Does he possibly have issues with using the bathroom? Not that this is the case in any way, but as an example, when I was about 5-7 years old I would prolong going to the bathroom as long as I could...I was abused in a bathroom when I was 4 and I never wanted to go, I'd end up going all over myself.

Does he control his bowels? If he NEVER has a problem using the toilet for poops, I would tend to think he has a medical problem holding the urine.

I don't know if your sister is in to behavior mod, but one idea I've heard of when you KNOW your kid CAN use the potty, but is "lazy" or whatever is to get really cheap gifts (like from gumball machines or something) and individually wrap 30 of them and put them in a glass jar (in bathroom where kid can see, but not reach). Every time he uses the potty he gets one (and not just for sitting, he has to actually pee or poop in the potty). After 30 times, your kid should be pretty adjusted to going to the potty and the rewards aren't necessary. (at the very least, if it works and then he stops when the treats are gone, you know it's not medical).

My daughter is 4 and has been wetting frequently lately. Well, yesterday she begged me to come to the potty with her to "help" (this is frequent too)and she said she wasn't a big girl, she was a little girl. so that explains it on my end as she has also asked to nurse (like baby brother).

good luck! keep us posted!
sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#6 of 7 Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My brother and my father would get urinary frequency as an allergic reaction to certain foods (for Dad it was rice and oatmeal, for bro it was wheat, especially cream of wheat). They would need to urinate every 10 or 20 minutes. My db had trouble with the teacher not believing he had to go again until they figured out the culprit.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 7 Old 12-02-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I really dont think he is "lazy" he really doesnt seem to want to be wet, and he has a big brother that he looks up to and wants to act big too. i was hoping someone would know of a medical problem that could cause this. maybe UTI is causing this. i just need to give my sister some "amo" so when she goes in to the doctor she can insist they test for UTI or whatever. The allergy idea is a good one. my brother cant have caffine or he will have to go pee constantly......he is 40 but maybe its somehow connected? thanks for the stories and advice so far.......Keep it coming.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page