pull-ups for older bed wetters - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 7 year old wets her bed pretty much every night. sometimes we use pull-ups and sometimes we don't. BUT i really want to just use them every night. i actually want to get some cloth ones to cut down on cost and get away from chemical, yucky, uncomfortable plastic. any body know where to buy? have recommendations?

I asked her what she thought about it and she said she wanted to just wear them too.

dh is in favor of ditching them but he doesn't do the washing. i do. and i am behind enough on laundry without having to wash her whole bed clothes every day.

oh i did see the dr about it and he gave us a sheet with some bladder control exercises for her. and some general suggestions (limit liquids in the pm, peee before bedtime --- well duh! ) and we are doing those things although probably not as consistently as we should.

so what do ya'll think about it?

the other option would be the wetness sensing alarm do-hickey. could i use cloth pull ups and the sensor? like have my cake and eat it too?:
#2 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 AM

You can use the bedwetting alarm with her underpants or a cloth pull-up. You can get some grat deals on new bedwetting alarms on Ebay. Sorry I don't know where to buy cloth pull-ups. We use goodnites disposables.: I would just worry about making dd comfortable and handling things the way she would like them. She is only 7 and will outgrow it.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#3 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 AM

We use Goodnights also. I have looked high and low for a cloth alternative, but none seem to exist large enough for a kid over age 5. We tried the alarm/sensor thing last year and ds slept right through it aften enough that we burned out the motor. I think they're a waste of money if heavy sleeping seems to be the issue with your child. My ds is happy with the Goodnights, he hated waking up to wet clothes and sheets.
#4 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom View Post
You can use the bedwetting alarm with her underpants or a cloth pull-up. You can get some grat deals on new bedwetting alarms on Ebay. Sorry I don't know where to buy cloth pull-ups. We use goodnites disposables.: I would just worry about making dd comfortable and handling things the way she would like them. She is only 7 and will outgrow it.
Hi. I was in my late twenties when I stopped bedwetting. And walked around my life perpetually dehydrated until I stopped. For me it was physical maturation and excercise.

By the time I was about six or seven, I was responsible for my own laundry, especially sheets and all when I had an accident overnight.

And bedwetting alarms scared the HELL out of me and didn't wake me, either. My folks gave up on that one after a few months.

Why not contact some diaper-making mommas and have them make you some cloth alternatives? My eldest is not night trained (only three) but I intend to discontinue using disposable pullups by the time the next bag is gone (about a month). I'm in the midst of trading for Happy Heiney trainers for him (I think they make them bigger, too) to start and will make some later in the year (I can't volunteer to make some for you, sorry, my time is super limited).

Oh, hey, HH does make them that big:

http://happyheinys.com/web/product/pockettrainers.php
#5 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 PM

We use Snap-Ez pocket trainers, which come up to size 10. http://www.snap-ez.com/ShoppingNAPEZTrainers.html
They're pricy, but you really only have to buy 1 or 2.
#6 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reccomendations ya'll keep 'em coming!

I have wondered if she would sleep through an alarm. i do think the main problem is just that she is a very heavy sleeper.
#7 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 04:09 PM

We have a snap-Ez pocket trainer as well which works well enough most of the time (lots of reminders for DS to point himself downwards after using the bathroom at night!). I have to super-stuff it though... I'm in the process of making my own with hemp inners instead of fleece. I don't understand the point of them not feeling the wetness at this age?

Anyway, hope you find something that works... it's so frustrating!
#8 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 04:25 PM

I was looking through the new posts and saw this and I just wanted to pop in and say Kudos to you Mama for being so understanding and loving about this issue with your child..I was a bedwetter and I was shamed and punished for it and I am oversensitive to the plight of bedwetters...I didn't stop until I was a teen.... Sleepovers were a nightmare... I was not allowed anything to drink after 6pm and it only made me sneak into the bathroom and drink water from the faucet after everyone was asleep... I guess I don't have anything to help really except your DC will grow out of it eventually but I think it totally rocks that your researching alternative methods rather then just being disgusted or annoyed...
#9 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 04:40 PM

I came here specifically to report in on this, and I'll just post my info on this handy thread. You can get Nikky pull-ups (which are cloth, and ~$22 ea... ouch), but from our experience... they don't hold as much liquid as a Goodnight pull-up (and if your child sleeps through earthquakes, tornados, etc. like mine does, one that doesn't hold all the pee isn't helpful for the sheets). Also, my 5 yr old reports that the waist band is too tight. We definitely got the right size (I think this one is supposed to go to at least 65 lbs, and he's only ~45 lbs). And last but not least... he just didn't like the bulkiness, and at his age, his opinion does matter. I hate having to continue to buy Goodnights (after having him in cloth till he potty-trained), but I'm not willing to make a big deal out of it.

(He is finally getting up in the middle of the night to pee every once in a while. How do I know the zombie has visited the bathroom? Because the light is still on in the morning and there's generally a puddle of pee on the floor next to the toilet... Oh well, I guess that's progress!)
#10 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 PM

i use the snap-ez trainers with my little one during the day and for naps and they are awesome. like the pp said, they're pricey, but you really wouldn't need to buy more than a couple, and if you think about how much money you'll spend over a couple months in disposibles, it really makes it worth the cost IMO. plus no chemical gel, no more stuff that won't decompose for 500 years, etc.

i know the Happy Heiny trainers also come in bigger sizes - the XL is for like 50-60 lbs i think? - and those are pockets that you stuff, so you can make them nice and trim.

and if you sew, there are some free patterns out there for pocket trainers. pockets are easy to make because you're only sewing two layers, and you can have your choice of what kinds of material to use (your DD could even help pick). you could probably make 5 for the price that one snap-ez one costs. and really, if you don't care about snaps (which are really just to make cleaning up poopy messes easier), you wouldn't even need a pattern - i'm a wing-it kinda sewer, and am always tracing things, adding a seam allowance and just doin it. i stuff my pockets with microfiber towels - i got like 24 of them at Costco for really cheap - like maybe $10-$15. and you can decide how thick you want them, cut them down if need be and sew them together. they're super absorbent - those work for him overnight and he probably pees 3x a night.
#11 of 11 Old 12-22-2006, 08:00 PM

Fleece is your friend.

My son is almost 10, and we are just now getting more dry nights than wet..
We use goodnights, but mostly we just have fleece on his bed...
Fleece under him, fleece over him, extras on his shelf in his closet.. anyone coming over would just guess that he has a bunch of extra blankets.

He is responsible for getting them down to the laundry area, and because they are fleece.... they wash and dry in a heartbeat.

Fully 20% of all nine year olds still wet the bed.

We pointed out to our son that there are 26 kiddos in his class room, and over 5 of them still have night wet issues... It helped him.

We tried the alarm, did not work, we dehydrated him it worked but not something I really want for my son. Now, we just don't worry about it. it will happen, the goodnights help, the fleece helps, and we just go with the flow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page