Daughters seeing Papa naked - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Is it okay for your toddler or older aged daughter to see her dad naked?
Not in our house. We are all private about nudity. 10 2.21%
It's split by gender. Girls can see Mama, but not Pop. 45 9.93%
It's not a big deal if it happens. 171 37.75%
What's your hang up? We're all family here. 227 50.11%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 173 Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
I'm trying to make sense of the many posters on this thread who discount the high numbers of abused kids. Because I guarantee it's not the kids from the dangerous side of the tracks telling people that they've never been abused and they don't know anyone who has. They've seen it plenty, kwim?

Your posts are amazingly contradictory. The ONLY way to make sense of the high number of abused kids is to count middle and upper class kids in those numbers.
#152 of 173 Old 02-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
it disrupts the child's natural discovery of the human body & triggers anxiety over what their own body will become
I can think of nothing LESS natural than imposing such rigid and puritanical guidelines.

If this work for a particular family; if this atmosphere is the most comfortable for those involved that is one thing. But I think that it is this kind of rigidity that is at the root of our culture's (Western/United States) incredibly unhealthy attitude toward nudity and sexuality and produces far more sexual pathology and predatory behavior than seeing your mum or dad nakers after a shower every now and then.

But I don't have any "evidence" so just ignore me.
#153 of 173 Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 PM

I think it depends on the sensitivity of those envolved. I think the bigger deal YOU make out of the bigger deal THEY think it is. I don't want my dc to think of their bodies as shameful but at the same time it is not okay to be willey nilly

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#154 of 173 Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 PM

Not a big deal if it happens. Though dh is more private then I am with all of our children.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#155 of 173 Old 02-05-2007, 02:34 PM

I keep waiting for the culture in the US to leave it's Puritan influence behind. Sigh. Hasn't happened yet.

It's all cultural. There are societies where everyone walks around almost completely naked. I don't think there are rampant abuse cases happening there.
#156 of 173 Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 PM

Dh use to take DD in the shower alot when she was younger (she went through a phase when she hated baths) but that quickly stopped when DD grabbed ahold of DH's extra part when he bent forward to shampoo her hair....

so now DH does not get naked in front of DD....

and as a side note i must say DH made the loudest yelp when DD grabbed ahold of his man part
#157 of 173 Old 02-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Those are the sensational cases that make the news, but most molested children aren't abused by priests or coaches. Usually it's an 'uncle' who is watching the kids while mom is out bar hopping, or it's the case of an eleven year old girl who is hanging out unsupervised with grown men who then treat her as though she's a consenting sexual adult.

Kids who are growing up in poverty, with substance abuse and parental neglect are profoundly vulnerable to precocious and exploitive sexual experiences, usually starting in early childhood.
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing the numbers on this as well, as the people I know have been molested were abused while, in one case, their very religious mother visited with family while several other family members were doing horrifying things to one of my dearest friends, and in another case, while the rest of the family sat downstairs visiting and socializing while the abuser took advantage of the children upstairs. Oh, right, and then there's the other side of the family where the abuser also took advantage at family gatherings.

I think this is an issue that affects every family, regardless of income, class, ethnicity, social status, whatever. I think the kids who are hanging out unsupervised are being abused, as are the kids whose parents know exactly where they are and believe they are with a trustworthy adult. Sexual predators know exactly where to look for their opportunities--ALL of them.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#158 of 173 Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrox View Post
I still find it hard to accept that 25% of women are sexually abused before 18 but it does seem a lot more realistic.

It just got to me that it was quoted as "fact" that "the majority of women are sexually abused before 12 years old". 67% of women are abused before they are 12?: How can anyone believe that - it is so obviously untrue.

For the record too, I have never been abused and I don't know anyone who has and I have a wide circle of friends who are all pretty open. I think sexual abuse of children is fortunatley rare.
Do you honestly think all of your friends have TOLD you everything? It doesn't matter how open a person is, sexual abuse is not easy for everybody to talk about, IF they can talk about it at all. It's not just casual conversation. Have you asked every single one of your friends if they have experience sexual abuse as a child?
The reality is, child sexual abuse is NOT rare...it just isn't. Being a survivor myself, I have had the opportunity to talk in depth with countless girls/women over the years about sexual abuse. It's something I'm able to be rather open about. My openess has encouraged people to open up to *me* about their own experiences. Often I'm one of only a few that knows of their abuse....so don't go assuming that you don't know anybody who has experienced sexual abuse. My DH didn't open up to me about his abuse until after we were married for about 2 years. Up until then, I had been very open with him about my own experiences....yet he felt too much shame to share his experiences with me.
Based on my personal knowledge and social interactions with others who have been abused, I tend to believe the 67% statistic....rather than the 25% statistic.
#159 of 173 Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Do you honestly think all of your friends have TOLD you everything? It doesn't matter how open a person is, sexual abuse is not easy for everybody to talk about, IF they can talk about it at all. It's not just casual conversation. Have you asked every single one of your friends if they have experience sexual abuse as a child?
And even if you do ask they may flat out lie about it. Not everyone will admit to abuse.
#160 of 173 Old 02-06-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
The reality is, child sexual abuse is NOT rare...it just isn't. Being a survivor myself, I have had the opportunity to talk in depth with countless girls/women over the years about sexual abuse. It's something I'm able to be rather open about. My openess has encouraged people to open up to *me* about their own experiences. Often I'm one of only a few that knows of their abuse....so don't go assuming that you don't know anybody who has experienced sexual abuse. My DH didn't open up to me about his abuse until after we were married for about 2 years. Up until then, I had been very open with him about my own experiences....yet he felt too much shame to share his experiences with me.
Based on my personal knowledge and social interactions with others who have been abused, I tend to believe the 67% statistic....rather than the 25% statistic.
I am nearly 100% certain that none of my friends I had growing up was sexually abused. We all lived in the same street, went to the same school, I knew their parents well. We saw each other every single day. There was no abuse going on.

As for my friends I have made as an adult, at university, I would be so, so surprised if any of them had been sexually abused either. It is a subject that we have talked about (commenting on stories of abuse in the media for example) and they have all, like me expressed utter horror that anyone could do such things to a child. They (like me) find it hard to imagine because it is so far removed from their own experiences growing up.

I find it sad that people can believe that the majority of children in our society are abused before they are 12 years old.:
#161 of 173 Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I am nearly 100% certain that none of my friends I had growing up was sexually abused. We all lived in the same street, went to the same school, I knew their parents well. We saw each other every single day. There was no abuse going on.

As for my friends I have made as an adult, at university, I would be so, so surprised if any of them had been sexually abused either. It is a subject that we have talked about (commenting on stories of abuse in the media for example) and they have all, like me expressed utter horror that anyone could do such things to a child. They (like me) find it hard to imagine because it is so far removed from their own experiences growing up.

I find it sad that people can believe that the majority of children in our society are abused before they are 12 years old.:
Wow! Not just a river.

The insidious nature of abuse is that it isn't readily apparent to outside observers. I grew up with a girl who, by all accounts, was "normal" and it wasn't until years and years had gone by that we learned that her father was sexually abusing her and her sister. And it doesn't sound to me like any of your friends had any substantial conversations about abuse. I've known plenty of women who, in some circles will express profound disbelief, but later admit their own experience.
#162 of 173 Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
And even if you do ask they may flat out lie about it. Not everyone will admit to abuse.
exatly!!
#163 of 173 Old 02-07-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I still feel like you're making assumptions. I'm just as horrified as the next person, that anybody would sexually abuse children.
What's so sad about believeing that so many children ARE molested? I find it sad that so many children ARE molested.

The part of your post I bolded above....I just have to say that none of that matters. How well you knew their parents, and how often you saw those kids is irrelevant to what could be happening when you're not with them. They could've been molested by a parent, family member, close family friend....or even a leader at camp. You just never truely KNOW unless they tell you.
#164 of 173 Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I still feel like you're making assumptions. I'm just as horrified as the next person, that anybody would sexually abuse children.
What's so sad about believeing that so many children ARE molested? I find it sad that so many children ARE molested.

The part of your post I bolded above....I just have to say that none of that matters. How well you knew their parents, and how often you saw those kids is irrelevant to what could be happening when you're not with them. They could've been molested by a parent, family member, close family friend....or even a leader at camp. You just never truely KNOW unless they tell you.

Maybe none of that does matter but I know these girls so well kwim?

The girls I grew up with and the girls I went to university with (we lived together in the same house for 4 years.). We talked about everything. I really, really think if they had been abused they would have told me at some point. You are right, maybe no one will truly know though.

I found it sad that people can truly believe that that many children are abused because I think that's such a sad reflection on our society, that people believe there are that many people out there who would abuse children. Of course it is more sad that children are molested. I was talking earlier today about this post with a couple of friends. I asked them how many children they thought suffered sexual abuse. Their answer? Both said less than 10%. So maybe I was wrong, I don't think most people do believe that many children are abused. Maybe people who were abused growing up might believe it? I don't know.
#165 of 173 Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did it ever occur to you that people who are abused live in total fear? I was physically, sexually, and emotionally abused by my father from birth, and none of my friends knew. Why on earth would I go blabbing it when I knew the man was capable of killing me and he had TOLD ME he would kill me if I told? For six years I was with my best friend EVERY SINGLE DAY and she had NO idea. I won't even get into the absolute shame involved. Even if I hadn't been certain he would've killed me, the shame alone is enough to be quiet.

It doesn't take much googling to find reliable statistics on child abuse.

At any rate, in answering the original question, my husband is not comfortable with our daughters seeing him nude. However, I do encourage him not to get upset if they happen to walk in on him. I understand why he's uncomfortable, but I don't want them to think there's something dirty or shameful about his body, or feel bad about accidentally catching a glimpse.
#166 of 173 Old 02-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Did it ever occur to you that people who are abused live in total fear? I was physically, sexually, and emotionally abused by my father from birth, and none of my friends knew. Why on earth would I go blabbing it when I knew the man was capable of killing me and he had TOLD ME he would kill me if I told? For six years I was with my best friend EVERY SINGLE DAY and she had NO idea. I won't even get into the absolute shame involved. Even if I hadn't been certain he would've killed me, the shame alone is enough to be quiet.
What makes you think you have to tell? I have a friend who was sexually abused. She told me when she was 32. I knew when she was 13. She didn't know that I knew, though - I always believed she'd tell me if and when she was ready to do so.

Quote:
It doesn't take much googling to find reliable statistics on child abuse.
I don't agree. I don't think there are reliable statistics on child abuse. However, I have to say that 67% before age 12 sounds awfully high to me. When I was a teenager and almost all of my female friends (say 90%) had been sexually abused, I still would have thought that 67% sounded high. We can debate it all we want - we're never going to know who's right.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#167 of 173 Old 02-08-2007, 06:53 AM

I don't like nakedness..dd will not bath with dh, see him naked etc...it just isn't right to me. I don't like dd seeing me naked but it could be because she tries and touches me and that freaks me out. There is no reason she needs to see her dad naked.
#168 of 173 Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I keep waiting for the culture in the US to leave it's Puritan influence behind. Sigh. Hasn't happened yet.

It's all cultural. There are societies where everyone walks around almost completely naked. I don't think there are rampant abuse cases happening there.
Somebody had to say it, ITA.

My DH still sees his parents naked, and he's 33.

We also go to the beach in Holland in the summers, and there's many a naked man walking around - nobody blinks an eye. If seeing nudity at a young age increases the chances of being sexually abused, then I guess Europe has quite the impending epidemic. (tongue in cheek)
#169 of 173 Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
This is interesting to me. Either people were sexually abused and so were many of their friends and aquaintances, or else they were not abused and neither were any of their friends or aquaintances.
My comment isn't quite topical, but your comment above made me think of something that I've considered in the past.

Once we were in high school, ALL of my brother's friends had divorced parents. ALL of my friends had married parents. Our parents are still married. I always wondered about that difference between mine and my brother's groups of friends. It seemed impossible that it could be a coincidence. I think that people gravitate towards certain personality characteristics. Perhaps there is something that children of divorced parents have in common that my brother was drawn to? Perhaps I, as a boring homebody, was drawn to kids whose home lives were "intact?" (Please don't read this as a blanket statement about the quality of the home life of divorced households. I'm just writing simply here for the sake of brevity and hope you get my point.)

I wonder if it's possible that the difference that blessed points out above could be that abused kids are drawn to personality characteristics that they see in other abused kids?

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#170 of 173 Old 02-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
My comment isn't quite topical, but your comment above made me think of something that I've considered in the past.

Once we were in high school, ALL of my brother's friends had divorced parents. ALL of my friends had married parents. Our parents are still married. I always wondered about that difference between mine and my brother's groups of friends. It seemed impossible that it could be a coincidence. I think that people gravitate towards certain personality characteristics. Perhaps there is something that children of divorced parents have in common that my brother was drawn to? Perhaps I, as a boring homebody, was drawn to kids whose home lives were "intact?" (Please don't read this as a blanket statement about the quality of the home life of divorced households. I'm just writing simply here for the sake of brevity and hope you get my point.)

I wonder if it's possible that the difference that blessed points out above could be that abused kids are drawn to personality characteristics that they see in other abused kids?
I've always believed this. My group of friends when I was in high school consisted, with one exception, of people who had at least one parent with a drinking problem. This was a group of about 25-30 kids - and everyone of us had a parent with alcoholism. It wouldn't be hard to conclude from that sampling that 95%+ of people come from an alcoholic home, but I never thought that was the case. I really think that we're drawn, particularly when we're young, to people who come from a reality that reflects our own. People who hadn't been sexually abused, and people who lived in homes without drunkenness and without fighting, simply didn't "click" with my world view.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#171 of 173 Old 02-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
I don't want my sons getting all their perceptions of women's bodies from advertising.
I am getting in on this topic a bit late but this is totally worth repeating. Thank you orangefoot.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#172 of 173 Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Okay, I'll share something a bit personal.

When I was about two or three, my brother and I were taking pictures of each other naked with the camera. When my parents' developed the film they were hysterical. They actually called over the police and a social worker to talk to us about how that was not appropriate. How bodies are private. It was so shaming and traumatizing to us.

Shortly thereafter, I began to be sexually molested by an older boy-- a trusted and close relative-- which continues for the next 4+ years. I was embarrassed to tell my parents because of the previous incident and because of the way nudity and sexuality were dealt with in my home. Finally telling them was one of the scariest things I have ever done in my whole life, I can't express it. My cheeks are flushing now remembering this because the shame is still there to some degree.

I agree with the statement that it is important to raise children with healthy boundaries. However, boundaries do not need to be some arbitrary rule, but they need to based on what feels right and comfortable. If you teach a child to obey arbitrary (arbitrary here means not based on their actual comfort level) rules about privacy, then they are just learning to allow someone else to control their bodies. If you teach them to take control of their bodies and to have respect for their own bodies and others, than it's not about bending to arbitrary rules, but learning what feels right and wrong to them.

The difference between children who have been raised in these two different ways, is one may feel scared or shamed into obeying an adult even if it makes her feel violated, while the other will be guided by her own sense of discomfort and feel empowered to say "no!".

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#173 of 173 Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:

ITA. Nudity doesn't cause sexual abuse of children. Pedophilia does.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page