Can we share ideas for spontaneous, creative fun? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got the idea from this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=606665

Can we share memories and/or ideas? I am in a bit of a rut and really could use ideas for having fun with my almost 6yo. He absolutely loves surprises and spontaneity and general craziness. I also have a 2.5yo but am looking more for ideas with the 6yo.

Thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 01-31-2007, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We get all ready for bed and got to Dairy Queen in the summer. We also will have a late night and head out to the park that borders a forest preserve and listen to the owls and whatever else is out there making noise at night. We live on a lake so we do a lot of nighttime summer frog hunting. We make smores in the oven for a treat.

We don't have much winter fun. I hate being cold
#3 of 15 Old 01-31-2007, 04:57 PM

My kids love when we have dessert for breakfast. Sending them off to school with brownies and ice cream in their bellies give them something to talk about.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#4 of 15 Old 01-31-2007, 11:26 PM

My sister and I, on more than one occasion, woke up in the car going somewhere. "Hey where are we going?" we would ask
Than my parents would say "oh somewhere." When we saw the sun coming up we knew....
We were headed to FLorida.

On really deep snowy days my dad would litereally throw us out into the deep snow.

We used to go to my grandmother's house for lunch during school and each spring she would take us into town for lunch and not make us go back to school for the 2nd half. We would have lunch at Woolworth'ss counter than walk around town.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#5 of 15 Old 02-01-2007, 12:13 AM

sneak away and fill the tub to the very top with loads of water and bubbles and toys. get in with them if you can (swimsuit if you're not bathing with your kids at this point?) if babe is sleeping, do the late afternoon bath, bubbles, candles , music even.

another great idea i heard recently... strip the bathroom down of towels and mats etc. to just fixtures. give each kid a can of shaving cream and go at it. it makes everything sparkle and is of course a total blast!

also, i occasionally (i so desire to be a cool mom like the post you linked... i'm so eager to get more ideas here) will just blindside the boys, tackle them and yell "dog pile!" and we all roll around, run around and whoop it up. that is totally worth the effort to get their energy out and to watch the baby (age 1) pile on like he's a big kid. hysterical! i rationalize it as exercise for me b/c more often than not i end up giving them rocket rides (deep knee bends and then launch them off into pillow piles or the couch) my boys seem to love this physical play. when i get tired, they spend another 10 minutes climbing all over my horizontal resting self.

thanks for this. it's a great winter post and something we all need to do more of with our kiddos!
#6 of 15 Old 02-01-2007, 12:36 AM

We live in the southwest so the weather is almost always nice except today and yesterday- it has been raining and it is cold. I like to cook dinner and let the kids eat it outside on the patio. One time I moved our table to the front yard and we ate with candles and drank soda in fancy glasses. We took turns singing and dancing on our front porch while all the neighbors walking by could see. My dd's were a little embarrassed but too excited at the same time. As for my ds he was just wacky thrilled.

Sometimes I will kid around and try to get them to eat an oreo with mustard on it or something gross and give them a few dollars if they can do it.

I will buy a bag of water balloons and invite my nieces and nephews for dinner and suprise all the kids with a tub full of balloons. Usually adults join in too.

I use to drop my niece off at school and sign her out an hour or two later as a surprise. We would go to the fair, the mall, skating, breakfast, or the movies and I would make her believe she had a dental or dr. appt. until we got there.
#7 of 15 Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 AM

: we jump on the bed...shhh don't tell dh
#8 of 15 Old 02-02-2007, 03:31 PM

ike's mom,
you are SUPER cool!
you sound like mrs. doubtfire!
mamalisa, we jump too!!!
#9 of 15 Old 02-02-2007, 06:24 PM

i will fill the kitchen table with art supplies and snacks for dd. I put on her favorite CD and let her create. She loves it. Also, cooking together is so much fun. Especially when it's spontanious(sp). Going for picnic is great fun. We went on Tuesday and DD loved it. We live in CA so the weather was awesome. DD (3yo) and DS (8mo) went to the park and I brought a picnic. We played for a couple of hours and then we all sat down on the grass for a picnic. the best part was that DH knew where we were so he drove over and joined us. It was so simple and yet so wonderful.

-lisa

btw- great thread!!
#10 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM

some favorites...

paints, spray bottle and squeegee in the tub

food coloring and cups in the tub to mix colors

bubble art.....trays with water, dish soap and tempera paint.....blow bubbles with straws and then capture the colored bubbles on paper...keep layering bubble prints for a tiedye affect that still maintains the bubble prints....

keep the thread going....I love this!
#11 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 AM

my MIL always did a jellybean hunt on easter with her boys. we did a spontaneous mini jellybean hunt (he had to close his eyes in the other room while we quickly hid them) and my son loved it! obviously.
#12 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 04:00 PM

The other evening dh told Jordan to stay upstairs for a bit and then he took all of the pillows off the couch, the card table, ottoman, desk, quilt rack, a bunch of blankets and made a super tunnel. The boys loved it.

I'm thinking that this afternoon I will get our big roll of paper out, cover the kitchen floor and let them draw roads all over it and then play on it with their cars.
#13 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 05:13 PM

This may be more of an avoiding a tantrum story, BUT - - -
We've been reading Arnold Lobel's "Owl at Home" at bedtime and it's really made the girl's giggle.

But, the other afternoon....EVERYONE was in a foul mood. Complaining about this, melting down about that. "We're bored", "I don't like this snack"....tears, tears and more tears. I was getting REALLY frustrated and wanted to cry myself. So I did! I started WAILING. OVER THE TOP. (faking, of course) I threw myself on the floor and started listing any little thing I could think of to cry about. "I don't like making dinner. Wahhaaa" "I wish Daddy was home. BOOoHOO!" "The kitchen floor is dirty. Sob and wail". I looked at the girls and they had huge SMIRKS of shock on their faces. I said, "C'mon....we need more tears for our "tear water tea" (that's in the book). We cried and cried (mostly through laughter). While they were rolling around "kicking and screaming" I slipped off and filled their fancy tea party things with water. Then I quoted from the book, "There. That does it." Now, let's sit down and have some tea.

Oh, my gosh. Genius! They were happy the rest of the night and haven't stopped telling everyone how we drank our tears!!
#14 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 05:52 PM

1. Presents in the Underwear Drawer:

When I was little I had this fantasy that I would open up my underwear drawer in the morning and someone would have put a present in there....Now I do this about 3 or 4 times a year for my dd's.

2. Spa Baths:

When it is really cold and we are all tired and cranky on a Sunday night, I will slip into my bathroom with the big Jacuzzi, light a whole bunch of candles (kept on the main counter) and fill the tub with bubble bath/gel. I turn down the lights and put some comic books (Archie's) in a basket and put in a bath pillow. And then call the girls who are very excited to get a spa bath (it used to be all together, now its one at a time.)

3. PJ DAY; No one gets out of their p.j's. I try to have some really fun books and mags stashed and pull them out and we spend the day reading, eating yummy foods, including hot chocolate and popcorn and just as my tweener say "chill-lazing"
#15 of 15 Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bringing this back - I need some inspiration during this stressful time of year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page