Children's Books I hate! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
Oh, but I forgot to add my ALL TIME LEAST FAVORITE BOOK: ONCE UPON A POTTY. It's the stupidist book alive.
Yes! YES!!!!!!!

Oh, that is a stupid book. And I paid $$$ for it, too.

Quote:
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat
and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#122 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 AM
 
paquerette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Poconos
Posts: 6,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay yes, I seriously don't like WTWTA. Shoot me. I may be able to understand that it's just a story and that stories are not always to be taken literally etc., but my toddler can't. People who write children's stories really ought to take that into consideration. She has it, and we've read it, and talked about how Max's mama was wrong and sometimes mamas do the wrong thing. I mean, it's not horrible on the same scale as having to see people beat their kids in Walmart, but I like to keep her exposure to things like that to a minimum, and make sure they're not normalized.
paquerette is offline  
#123 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
 
L&IsMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Simplifying...
Posts: 1,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madre Piadosa View Post
on professor i had swore that harry the dirty dog was racist. when the dog is black and dirty the family doesn't want him or love him, but once is is white and clean he is acceptable.
: Wow.
L&IsMama is offline  
#124 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Okay yes, I seriously don't like WTWTA. Shoot me. I may be able to understand that it's just a story and that stories are not always to be taken literally etc., but my toddler can't. People who write children's stories really ought to take that into consideration. She has it, and we've read it, and talked about how Max's mama was wrong and sometimes mamas do the wrong thing. I mean, it's not horrible on the same scale as having to see people beat their kids in Walmart, but I like to keep her exposure to things like that to a minimum, and make sure they're not normalized.
Well, Max *was* chasing the dog with a fork. Maybe he did that because he's an abused child? Anyway, the time in his room couldn't be long as his food was still warm.

Maybe Max's mother wasn't wrong. Maybe Max was really tired and needed his little nap to where the wild things are so he could join the world refreshed. He certainly looks relieved in that last pic. And what child hasn't experienced a feeling of not being understood? (I am sure some will chime in and say their child has never had a tantrum).

Honestly, kids like the absurd. And not every child buys the sweet rainbow world parents try to feed them. Most children get frustrated with parents or the world at times. These books recognize that life and emotions are complicated-- even for the child with perfect parents.

It's why I like No, David! Even if you hardly ever say no to kids, sometimes kids still feel controlled (no sugar, no tv, no reading books with a less than perfect view of the world). I think children can see the humor and can relate to this imperfection, no matter how much we adults can't.
UUMom is offline  
#125 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
Yes! YES!!!!!!!

Oh, that is a stupid book. And I paid $$$ for it, too.




Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I don't know this book. But a minute to an adult is like an enternity to a child too young to use a toilet. Maybe the book is trying to see if from a toddler's point of view?
UUMom is offline  
#126 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
 
Heffernhyphen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post

It's why I like No, David! . . . I think children can see the humor and can relate to this imperfection, no matter how much we adults can't.
I think the thing I like best about No, David (and I do like it and most of David Shannon's other books) is that I feel like it sort of lends credibility to all the times I say No to the kids. Sometimes when I say No, they look at me like I'm just pulling rules out of my butt. But with No, David, I can say, "See, picking your nose IS gross. It's not just me!"
Heffernhyphen is offline  
#127 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 12:02 PM
 
kewb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My children loved Once Upon a Potty. A lot. We have the boy version and it was worth having only to see the look of horror on in-laws faces when dd used to read it all the time. Oh my, she will know boys have a penis. Ignoring the fact that she was aware of that long before she got her hands on that book.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
kewb is offline  
#128 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
 
becoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ha, I just discovered this thread. We love pretty much all of the books previously mentioned, although we haven't read "Rainbow Fish" and definitely won't be now that I read this thread!

"Green Eggs & Ham" and "Chicka-Chicka Boom-Boom" are two of DD's favorites.
becoming is offline  
#129 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
 
hhurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim View Post
(Although William does have bottles.)
He's also part of a family of talking pigs who live in an apartment and wear clothes. Now what kind of example is that?
hhurd is offline  
#130 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned
 
Pandora114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shamelessly using "devices"
Posts: 7,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd LOVED Once Upon a Potty...was one of the things that finally got her to go poop there on a regular basis..

SHe likes the Grouchy Ladybug...I dont get the message in it...but it's about a ladybug that wants to fight everything... 0.0

Loves me the Robert Munsch though.

DH reads her Clifford in French.

dunno, I think I draw the line at barbie and princess books...we dont get her those at all..
Pandora114 is offline  
#131 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhurd View Post
He's also part of a family of talking pigs who live in a apartment and wear clothes. Now what kind of example is that?
I am hoping those pigs were kosher, at least. :
UUMom is offline  
#132 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I don't know this book. But a minute to an adult is like an enternity to a child too young to use a toilet. Maybe the book is trying to see if from a toddler's point of view?
I get that element - but trust me, after you've read that one page about eight thousand times, you're ready to rip it out of the book and burn it. What bugs me about OUaP is the way that it's written - and the "new potty" looks like a frigging chamberpot from a couple of centuries ago.

"Was it a hat?" "Was it a milk bowl for the cat?"

And "A pee-pee to go wee-wee" just doesn't do it for me.

I like The Princess and the Potty way better.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#133 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 PM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
I get that element - but trust me, after you've read that one page about eight thousand times, you're ready to rip it out of the book and burn it. What bugs me about OUaP is the way that it's written - and the "new potty" looks like a frigging chamberpot from a couple of centuries ago.

"Was it a hat?" "Was it a milk bowl for the cat?"

And "A pee-pee to go wee-wee" just doesn't do it for me.

I like The Princess and the Potty way better.

It does sound silly. lol

My sister is here and she knows it. She said the potty looks like the Swedish Bjorn potty, that is all one piece.
UUMom is offline  
#134 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned
 
Pandora114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shamelessly using "devices"
Posts: 7,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you know how OLD Once Upon a Potty is??

I know I was read it when I was PLing.

I know my DH was read it when he was PLing...

heck my MIL kept the same copy and read it to all three of her boys while they PL'd
Pandora114 is offline  
#135 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 PM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114 View Post
you know how OLD Once Upon a Potty is??
you know how OLD I am??



I remember when that book was new (only the boy version), laughing my ass off reading it with my cousin in a dept. store.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#136 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 PM
 
LynnS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pacific NW longing for the Midwest
Posts: 12,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
"Was it a hat?" "Was it a milk bowl for the cat?"
Yep, and Once Upon a Potty has led my two year old to try our potty chair on as a hat (AFTER peeing in it), and wanting to fill it with milk and pretend to be a cat!

And FYI, we still read it a ton. I just grit my teeth and skip about 30 of the 'and sat and sat and sat's

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
LynnS6 is offline  
#137 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
 
formerluddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
the vast majority of sibling preparation books make me nuts. between the "mommy's going to leave to go to the hospital" and "daddy's going to give the baby a bottle" and pictures of cribs, bouncy seats, disposible diapers and the like i was appalled to find that there were only like two books i found on the subject that i could even modify for my DD.
ok, OT, but i wanted to pass on "welcome with love" by jenni overend and juli vivas. my wonderful bff gave it to us when we were expecting dd2 and planning a homebirth.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...&Go.y=13&Go=Go

i think it's ?aussie/nz, but it's a homebirth, told from the perspective of a sibling (?the youngest, there's ?3 kids at home already). the midwife comes, mama takes a walk and later stands up to birth the baby, and everyone sleeps on the floor together in front of the fireplace that night. not a crib/bottle in sight! and the illustration of the birth gave dd1 some prep of witnessing the actual birth in a format she could relate to (vs those videos of births).

my signature is usually illegible
formerluddite is offline  
#138 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
It.

We have some story with the characters illustrated like hedgehogs, I think, where the little girl keeps stalling at bedtime. She keeps getting out of bed. It is handled very nicely until the end when the father asks if she knows what will happen if she gets up again. The answer is a spanking.

ETA Bedtime for Frances is the book I was thinking of in the above description.

I *hate* Bedtime for Frances bc of the spanking part...but, we changed it around a bit; it would be kisses from our dog, with horrible breath.

DH loves the book, and thinks Im crazy for not reading it to him.
monocyte is offline  
#139 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
 
pfamilygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas, howdy y'all!
Posts: 1,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Well, Max *was* chasing the dog with a fork. Maybe he did that because he's an abused child? Anyway, the time in his room couldn't be long as his food was still warm.

Maybe Max's mother wasn't wrong. Maybe Max was really tired and needed his little nap to where the wild things are so he could join the world refreshed. He certainly looks relieved in that last pic. And what child hasn't experienced a feeling of not being understood? (I am sure some will chime in and say their child has never had a tantrum).

Honestly, kids like the absurd. And not every child buys the sweet rainbow world parents try to feed them. Most children get frustrated with parents or the world at times. These books recognize that life and emotions are complicated-- even for the child with perfect parents.

It's why I like No, David! Even if you hardly ever say no to kids, sometimes kids still feel controlled (no sugar, no tv, no reading books with a less than perfect view of the world). I think children can see the humor and can relate to this imperfection, no matter how much we adults can't.
Exactly. I look at it like this. Max's mom was going to lose her temper. So she sent Max to his room to chill while she finished dinner. So he daydreamed while she made dinner. (Remember "where he found his supper waiting for him... and it was still hot.").

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
pfamilygal is offline  
#140 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
 
luvmy2boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Okay, sorry, I have to learn how to use multi-quote...

I totally understand what you're saying here but it struck me how it touches upon a discussion "we" just had here about how it's never too old to need warmth and contact; ie. even as adults our parents would welcome us back to snuggle if we were sad/lonely/scared, etc.
That's my "take" on this book. How incredibly reassuring to know that in Mom's eyes, we are always beloved just as much as when we were "new."

eta: removed thread reference
Yeah, I think I like the underlying message in the book, but not the execution. I have a very close relationship with my parents, but I don't sit in their laps. I think if they had just showed them hugging or something, it would feel less creepy.

Also, it's been a while since I read the book, but I remember feeling like all of the affection was one way, which made me feel like maybe the mom was smothering more than the son wanted or needed her so much.
luvmy2boys is offline  
#141 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
 
NYCVeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On my couch
Posts: 5,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
ot, but....In the Night Kitchen is the best children's book ever---and they tried to ban it because it was about masturbation, I heard... never got that, personally. Sendak was a genius, imo. Higglety pigglety pop is great too--
Erm...I'm pretty sure that people try to (and do) ban ITNK because it shows the boy's penis in the illustrations (masturbation? seriously?). My MIL is a school librarian, and she said that, in another school she's familiar with, a prudish librarian drew underwear on all the pictures of Mickey.
NYCVeg is offline  
#142 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned
 
Pandora114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shamelessly using "devices"
Posts: 7,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shell Silverstein books are plain ol creepy and scary..
Pandora114 is offline  
#143 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
 
root*children's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the South-East's Worst Kept Secret
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Ping or maybe it's called The Story of Ping, or something similar. About the little duck in China. The last duck that gets on the boat each night gets whipped. I loved that one as a child, but had forgotten the whipping part, until I found it for my kids. Fortunatly, they didn't really like it

Shel Silverstein? REally? We LOVELOVELOVE him! When I was little, I thought his photo on teh back was creepy, but his poetry rocks. He's written a good deal of adult stuff too (think cartoons in vintage playboys). The older stuff for adults he wrote was HILARIOUS! He wrote another really long poem about smoking pot... I think it was like a contest to see who had the best herb, and thousands of people came and filled a stadium, etc.

And speaking of drug related books (wasn't someone referencing Maurice Sendak in that way?), has anyone read Cat Steven's Teaser and the Firecat book? Talk about acid! We love that one

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

root*children is offline  
#144 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 06:01 PM
 
northcountrymamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: in our magical forest
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't dislike Shel Silverstien...but man the picture of him on the back of his books....CREEPY!!! Dd wont read them because of this photo

Couldn't the publishers have chosen something a little less.....psychotic looking:

ETA: posted at the same time as you root children.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)
 
 
 
northcountrymamma is offline  
#145 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM
 
TexasSuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love just about every children's book I pick up - especially the ones written before WWII. What I don't like are the newer PC kids books that try to force some diversity message or political crud on our kids. I personally like children's literature without any heavy messages. I try to read it and see it like a child would - with wonder and awe!

My goal right now is to read every book in the Sonlight homeschool catalog. There are some GREAT books in there! I am having a blast reading them.
TexasSuz is offline  
#146 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 06:56 PM
 
Thalia the Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't like aggressively PC or preachy children's books either. I can't even look at the covers of the Jamie Lee Curtis books in the bookstore without getting annoyed!

I mean, I like books with multethnic characters, girls doing active stuff and being assertive, etc., but I don't like it when the author feels the need to lecture children.
Thalia the Muse is offline  
#147 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM
 
formerluddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post
Shel Silverstein? REally? We LOVELOVELOVE him! When I was little, I thought his photo on teh back was creepy, but his poetry rocks. He's written a good deal of adult stuff too (think cartoons in vintage playboys). The older stuff for adults he wrote was HILARIOUS! He wrote another really long poem about smoking pot... I think it was like a contest to see who had the best herb, and thousands of people came and filled a stadium, etc.
oh, my, the smoke off: "now in the laid-back california town of sunny san rafael, lived a girl named pearly sweetcakes, you prob'ly knew her well. she'd been stoned 15 of her 18 years, and her story was widely told, how she could smoke 'em faster than any dude could roll." in 1980 i could recite the entire 6 minute poem, recorded off of dr. demento with a radio shack cassette player, written down and memorized. hmmm, i got out of high school with a 2.8. questionable application of study habits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrymamma View Post
I don't dislike Shel Silverstien...but man the picture of him on the back of his books....CREEPY!!! Dd wont read them because of this photo

Couldn't the publishers have chosen something a little less.....psychotic looking:
he was a beatnik, and probably chose it himself. he also wrote "uncle shelby's ABZ's, which teaches a mixed up alphabet, with little stories for each letter, such as "D is for Daddy," who is sleeping on the couch, and can't afford a haircut, so why don't you go and get the scissors and give him one. H is for hole, and the suggestion is to push little sister into it. pretty un PC stuff, we all loved it in high school. i think i still have it on a shelf somewhere. i should show it to the kids!

my other favorite poems of his are "sara cynthia sylvia stout" who is swallowed up by the garbage she wouldn't take out, "someone ate the baby," (but she wasn't very sweet), "i'm being eaten by a boa constrictor," and lazy jane.

lazy
lazy
lazy
lazy
lazy
lazy
jane,
she
wants
a
drink
of
water,
so
she
waits
and
waits
and
waits
and
waits
and
waits
for
it
to
rain.
(into a drawing of her lying on her back with her mouth open).

thanks for the trip down memory lane!

my signature is usually illegible
formerluddite is offline  
#148 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 PM
 
maya44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen's mom View Post
I have a BA and an MS in English education so it is very hard for me to say that I "hate" any book but one of the worst we have come across for our DD has been Goldie is Mad by Margie Palatini. Here is the review I left on Amazon...


I have a very hard time parting with books, even the bad ones, however this one went straight into the trash.

One should not "hate anyone or anything" REALLY? Why in the world not. Things are not "upset" about our hatred for them, so what's wrong with saying that?

And people...some people are hateful.

While I don't think its the nicest emotion, children often do feel like they hate a sibling. Why deny the feeling?
maya44 is offline  
#149 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 10:24 PM
 
maygee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Many librarians were not so thrilled when Sendak's In the Night Kitchen emerged in 1970. In it a small boy named Mickey ends up naked as he explores the city work that goes on at night. According to Sendak this development is only sensible since Mickey goes romping through great vats of dough and milk – that is, skinny dipping is the pleasant alternative to slogging about in soggy, dough-sodden clothes. But a number of librarians and booksellers of the period promptly rejected the book. And a number of others accepted it only to turn around and deface it, giving Mickey little marker drawn shorts -- or possibly, says Sendak, taped on paper diapers.

Curiously, while Sendak admits the book is, in part, about a small boy glorifying in his sensuality, some critics have taken interpretation of the book to a Freudian sexual extreme, seeing the nudity, free-flowing milky fluids, and giant (supposedly) "phallic" milk bottle as convenient symbols within a subversive tale about masturbation. Little wonder given such conflicts, real or imagined, that the book routinely appears on the American Library Association's listings of frequently challenged and banned books: even in 2004, the book made the top-ten. Despite this fact, the book continues to be celebrated by children and parents everywhere and has become a well-loved classic."
maygee is offline  
#150 of 236 Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
"Many librarians were not so thrilled when Sendak's In the Night Kitchen emerged in 1970. In it a small boy named Mickey ends up naked as he explores the city work that goes on at night. According to Sendak this development is only sensible since Mickey goes romping through great vats of dough and milk – that is, skinny dipping is the pleasant alternative to slogging about in soggy, dough-sodden clothes. But a number of librarians and booksellers of the period promptly rejected the book. And a number of others accepted it only to turn around and deface it, giving Mickey little marker drawn shorts -- or possibly, says Sendak, taped on paper diapers.

Curiously, while Sendak admits the book is, in part, about a small boy glorifying in his sensuality, some critics have taken interpretation of the book to a Freudian sexual extreme, seeing the nudity, free-flowing milky fluids, and giant (supposedly) "phallic" milk bottle as convenient symbols within a subversive tale about masturbation. Little wonder given such conflicts, real or imagined, that the book routinely appears on the American Library Association's listings of frequently challenged and banned books: even in 2004, the book made the top-ten. Despite this fact, the book continues to be celebrated by children and parents everywhere and has become a well-loved classic."
Any book that has anyone drawing undies on a nakey baby boy has my vote! I love things that go against the grain of uptight society. Of course, it's the same reason I buy my children books from the 'banned books' list every year.
UUMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off