Children's Books I hate! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=pixiepunk;7227623]re: green eggs and ham - the message we take away from that (and the one we discuss with DD everytime we read it) is that sometimes you think you're not going to like something just because of the way it looks, but then if you try it you might be surprised to discover that you really do like it.

yep,they are trying to encourage to try things before setting your mind against things without ever giving it a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 PM

Toes It's a book that looks so innocent about a 7-toed cat named Toes. We should have seen the downfall when the book starts out with his mother dying suddenly at an early age, just a month after the kitten litter with Toes was born. The book goes on and is pretty god, except for an owner who at one book resorts to alcohol to rid himself of a problem. It ends though with Toes getting very sick, wandering back to his first owner's home, finding the grave not only of his mother, but his siblings who also died early and Toes himself dies on top of thier graves. My daughter was devestated for days! Yes, I learned my lesson to read unknown books before reading them - she made me promise.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Someone PLEASE explain to me the story of the poky little puppy--I've read it over and over and I don't understand it. Is it about being "good" or "bad"? I've been wanting to know a long time and this seems like the perfect place to ask!
Liane
Old 02-10-2007, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
Someone PLEASE explain to me the story of the poky little puppy--I've read it over and over and I don't understand it. Is it about being "good" or "bad"? I've been wanting to know a long time and this seems like the perfect place to ask!
It is a peculiar story, isn't it? That's one reason I kind of like it - because it doesn't have a clear point or moral. You can't tell whether pokiness is supposed to be good, bad, or neutral. And why do the other puppies sneak out to fill in the hole? Are they trying to be good, or just trying to keep the poky little puppy from getting all the dessert? (This is the first time I've really put much thought into it, but I think actually the second explanation makes the most sense.)

Okay, having spent (or should I say wasted?) a few minutes mulling it over, I have come to the conclusion that the story isn't meant to have a moral, or teach kids any kind of lesson, except maybe that your mother will probably be able to punish you into submission sooner or later. It may be good luck or bad luck to be poky, you may get rewarded when you didn't mean to be good, and there are both advantages and disadvantages to disobedience. You just have to decide which you like more, seeing the wide, wide world or having dessert.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 PM

Oh, I just remembered another one: Mrs. Wishy Washy. When I was in school for Elementary Ed, some girl did a presentation on that book. I happened to be stuck in some lab with her while she worked on it. I must have heard the words "wishy washy, wishy washy" 78 times. Oy . . . .
Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ohh long post haven't read past the first two yest so probably lots of contrversy but.

Quote:
Green Eggs and Ham - You get pestered to do something you don't want to do until you give in. Especially when this is a message about food - You might not be hungry, or in the mood for eggs but I'm pestering you to eat them anyway. Not a good way to teach kids to stick up for themselves or to listen to their bodies about food.
Hey sorry gotta say we LOVE LOVE this book here first off the rhyme is just fun but this book also encouraged our wayyyyy wayyyy super beyond any child we have ever seen picky refusing to even atempt food DD actually try a few foods. No where is the character being forced to feed does he say no thanks I'm full but rather it addresses a very real issues many parents have the child who flat out refuses to even try a food. They are hungry but decide its the wrong shape color size smell sounds wrong whatever. And like the Character in the book my DD found out that hey she likes peaches tofu and sugar snap peas Its one of her favorite books.
Okay off the read...

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 02-11-2007, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay read fun thread
Chicka chicka boom boom and in the night kitchen are two of our favorites here.

We checked out a book called Lama lama red pajamas from the liabary that made me sad. A little lama calling his mom who ingnores him to wash dishes then scolds him for being so dramatic

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 02-11-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
My kids adored Carl the Dog books. They would crackup at the baby in the fiish tank. And how the dog could put the whole messy house back in order before the mother got up the walk.

I think that books bad because it misrepresents to children how long it actually takes to clean up food spilled all over the floor. Not to mention some children might be tempted to jump in the gold fish bowl.

I just bought that book, too, because of its awesome reviews on B&N. I'm not liking the facts that it doesn't have any words. I bought it for my one-year-old baby who actually adores books, but The illustrations aren't "colorful" enough for her one-year-old self to just be able to enjoy the pictures. Damn review said it was goof for babies her age. No. I'm sure she'll love it when she's significantly older.

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
Higglety pigglety pop is great too--
That was my most favorite (older) childhood book of all time. Absolutely fantastic (although dark) story, absolutely fantastic illustrations. I must have read it a thousand times.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM

I have to second the anti-Beatrix Potter comment. Bf reads those to his 4 yo and there is no way he will be reading them to our kids when they are her age. They are so violent (parents beating children with switches, etc).

We have a very dark book that we absolutely love called The Spider and the Fly. It's about a spider that tricks a fly into his web. I figure that happens all of the time in nature, so that implied violence is ok vs the capital punishment Beatrix Potter books.

I also used to really like Click Clack Moo - Cows That Type, but as a vegetarian I don't think I could read it to my kids because on real farms the cows do not get to collectively bargain with the farmer.

Even though she is spoiled and bratty, for some reason I LOVE Eloise. I'm not sure why... maybe it's just because she has a pug dog (so do I)

love.gif

Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDimstam View Post
This is obviously for slightly older readers, but I cannot stand the Junie B. Jones books for all the deliberate misspellings. Dd saw one and asked why the writer made Junie so "not smart." Awful.
I completely agree! "not smart" and a brat!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
I also used to really like Click Clack Moo - Cows That Type, but as a vegetarian I don't think I could read it to my kids because on real farms the cows do not get to collectively bargain with the farmer.
there's another book by the click clack moo author. i can't recall the title, because i gave it to the ds of the friend who gave us click clack moo. but the plot is the animals take over the farm and kick out the farmer, sounds like you'd like it!

my signature is usually illegible
Old 02-15-2007, 05:05 PM

A lot of books that people are mentioning, I agree with the interpretations you're giving (e.g. Ping, Bedtime for Frances, Rainbow Fish, The Giving Tree, Curious George etc . . . ) but they're part of the reason why we love the bookss they're great jumping off points for conversations in which we reinforce our family values.

One of our very favorite ones in that category is: Bored Nothing To Do by Peter Spier, where the parents leave their 2 boys alone and the boys take everything in the house apart and use it to build an airplane. When the parents come home and see their kids flying, Mom faints while Dad gets angry. They then get "a good spanking . . . and a kiss". It's great for talking about mixed up emotions and OK and not so OK ways to express them. My son knows I'd never spank him, and also that he's not allowed to build airplanes out of stuff lying around the house.

The only children's books I truly hate are the ones that are boring and pedantic (e.g. the new Berenstein Bears ones) or simply poorly written. Oh, and anything with Scooby Doo in them -- they're all the same story! My vote for "worst book ever" would have to be the Glow in the Dark Scooby Doo book (Can't remember the title). Not only is is the same darn Scooby story, but every single page you have to turn on the light, hold the book up to the light to "charge" it, turn off the light, admire the glowing monsters, etc . . . YUCK!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:48 PM

I don't like the Disney/Barbie books. Luckily my DD can read to herself. I'm happy to read other books to her.
I don't like innacurate books either. My big pet peeve in that area is Brontosaurus. No no noooooooo! It has officially been Apatosaurus since 1976, why are people still using Bronto?
Thirdly, potty humor. I almost think I'd rather my kids be illiterate than let Captain U in the house. (Not that that's a real danger). I've heard the "gets them reading" argument but that's one of my lines.
Most of these books I love though.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
: This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not meant to be taken literally. It's not an instruction manual. It's a story written for an audience of very young children who appreciate the message of a mother's complete and undying love. It's also funny because it is taken to the extreem. Even a 2yo knows that the grown man being rocked by his mom is funny. They do not really think you will do that, but at the same time they find it comforting to think that a mom would want to. The message deals with the common fear of preschoolers--that growing up is scary because they are seperating from mom more.

I find it really unbelievable that anyone would think "Love You Forever" and Runaway Bunny" were unacceptable messages. :
I 100% agree with you. Some people gotta lighten up before they sap all the fun right out of life. Not everything is made to be taken literally.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clane View Post
While I do enjoy enjoy reading some books more than others, the only ones I truly detest are the character books that play music. The only noise coming directly from a book should be the sounds of the pages turning.

OMG I sooo agree with this. And they make them so loud my ears ring. The only good thing about books like this is they eat up batteries really fast and I never replace them.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 PM

Okay...
...I don't have the curious george books where any of these things mentioned happen, but I still don't like curious george. the writing style bores me and, well, he's a monkey.

...Rainbow fish; we don't have the version mentioned earlier, but a bath book. I love the illustrations and the colours. It bothers me that no one will be friends with him unless he gives away his scales. I like that he decides to share them, because, honestly, we shouldn't hoard things that others need, but no one needs his scales, they just want him and he has to bribe people into being his friends.
...school is starting, but I will be back. I leave you with "tootles"
Old 02-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibusunny View Post
It bothers me that no one will be friends with him unless he gives away his scales. I like that he decides to share them, because, honestly, we shouldn't hoard things that others need, but no one needs his scales, they just want him and he has to bribe people into being his friends.
IMO, the reason that no one wanted to be friends with the Rainbow Fish is b/c he was stuck up and vain about his "beautiful" scales. HE didn't want to hang out with the other fish b/c he felt that he was too good for them. I don't think he had to bribe anyone to be his friend - he just discovered that he'd be awfully lonely if he wouldn't stop thinking he was better than all the "plain" fish. Only once he shared himself (physically AND emotionally) with the others could he realize the beauty of friendship.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
IMO, the reason that no one wanted to be friends with the Rainbow Fish is b/c he was stuck up and vain about his "beautiful" scales. HE didn't want to hang out with the other fish b/c he felt that he was too good for them. I don't think he had to bribe anyone to be his friend - he just discovered that he'd be awfully lonely if he wouldn't stop thinking he was better than all the "plain" fish. Only once he shared himself (physically AND emotionally) with the others could he realize the beauty of friendship.
And this might be clear in the full story, but in the story I have, it goes like this:
1. Small blue fish asks for scale. Rainbow fish says no. Small blue fish swims away.
2. RF goes to octopus to ask for help. Octopus says give away your scales, and you will have friends.
3. RF gives away scales. Everyone is friends with him.
Concise.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 PM

My mom gave me a series of Winnie the Pooh books called "Just Be Nice...". :Puke She thought they were so cute. I threw them away first chance I got.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I really hate "I'm a Big Sister" (I think that's the title). Baby is bottlefed, of course, and it never ONCE shows the mom holding it! It's held by dad when it's being fed, but other than that it's in a stroller or walker. Yuck. I hate that freaking book.

I don't like Walter the Farting Dog but DD1 thinks it's hilarious and she's at the age where bodily functions are terribly amusing so I let it slide :P
Old 02-27-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
Yeah...I just read this in the bookstore today, to see what all the fuss was about. I did NOT see it as a book about "conforming" at all. My reading was exactly the same as yours--that he didn't want to be friends with the plain fish BECAUSE they were plain, but then learned the value of sharing.

I also read Goodnight Gorilla, which I thought was a hoot. My only complaint is that it's set in a zoo (I'm not a big fan of animal captivity), but what are you gonna do?

As for people who think In the Night Kitchen is about masturbation because of the "free-flowing milky liquids"...erm, wow. And the "phallic" milk bottle? Have you seen a milk bottle that isn't phallic? Now, if it were a breast-shaped milk bottle...THAT would be something.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerLover View Post
I happened across this while looking for information about the author of The Paper Bag Princess, one of my favorite books.

http://robertmunsch.com/books.cfm?bookid=40

The only book I've come across that I just couldn't bring myself to read to my dd was Junie B Jones.
Wow, that's so powerful it brought me to tears! I think that book is sweet, and I adore Robert Munsch! Of course if you take it literally it's creepy, but I think it's been well established that it's not supposed to be :P I don't buy books like that for my kids simply because I can't read them without bawling! Paper Bag Princess is one of my all time faves, though dd1 doesn't seem to apperciate it yet
Old 02-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDimstam View Post
This is obviously for slightly older readers, but I cannot stand the Junie B. Jones books for all the deliberate misspellings. Dd saw one and asked why the writer made Junie so "not smart." Awful.
ME TOO!!!!! I hate Junie's antics as well, she is always bisbehaving.

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM

Here's one I just "read" and am in no hurry to open again: Good Dog, Carl. I put "read" in quotes because it mostly doesn't have words, just pictures that force you to supply the story. And I'll have to work harder next time to come up with something better than this:

Okay, so the Mommy goes to work and leaves the baby home alone in her crib with a Rotteweiler as babysitter. The giant potentially deadly creature lifts the baby out of the crib and spends the day doing various life-threatening activities such as lowering her into the aquarium, dropping her down the laundry chute, submerging her in a bathtub and blasting a blowdryer in her face. But it's all good because by the time Mommy comes home, he has stealthily cleaned up all evidence of their shared naughtiness and Mom is none the wiser.

I'll tell you, you should have seen DS's eyes light up when he saw that the laundry chute is in reality a secret roller coaster. mental note: get child-proof latch on laundry chute, TODAY!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 PM

My two cents after reading this thread:

The Giving Tree always gave me the shudders. It takes a good book to do that -- but there is no way I would call it a children's book.

Felix -- I see what you mean about "No, David," though I always laugh when I think about it. It's the favorite of one of my friend's toddlers, probably because he is incredibly mischievous and identifies with David. So I was reading it to him one day and asking him questions about the different pictures. You know the page when David goes running naked in the streets? So I ask the toddler what's wrong with that, and he says "David doesn't have any shoes on!"

Runaway Bunny -- I don't mind the message, but the execution is annoying. Blow you whereever I want you to go? FISH for you? How about become a trout and swim along with you? Become a sailor and travel with you whereever YOU want to go?

The Story of Ping -- I only read it once, and a long time ago, but as I recall, it's very honest about the awful parts of growing up on the Yellow River as a duck raised for food. Being hit with a stick was part of that. The reality is that we hit animals -- if you don't want to talk about that with your dc, fine, but I think the book is a great way to start a conversation.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g&a View Post
OK, I LOVE kids books, but some of them have storylines I don't agree with.

Curious George - ok, I've only read the one book, but they tricked and kidnapped a monkey. Need I say more. They also threw the man with the yellow hat out on the street because he had a pet (out on the street seems harsh). They threw the monkey in jail becasue he called a wrong number - the fire dept. (also harsh punishment).
You forgot the part about the monkey SMOKING - having a pipe before he goes to bed.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
: The mom in I love you forever needs to cut the apron strings and let her son grow up. I really hate that book, it is just creepy.

"Love you forever" - ditto. Creeped the hell out of me. For people who say we are "taking it too literally" and you don't understand the creepiness - that's fine. You're reading too much into our dislike. I'm not talking about interpretting messages for my child, I'm just saying it creeped *ME* out.

I'm sure my daughter wouldn't mind it, but actually I get irked reading any Robert Munsch books, they just grate on me. Sorry. We have thousands of other books to choose from, so thats ok. It's a fun thread, and good to see there are other people that wrinkled their noses at some of the same books that I have.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMama View Post
. . . actually I get irked reading any Robert Munsch books, they just grate on me.

Not Paperbag Princess! You MUST love that one or we'll revoke your MDC card.

User Tag List