Head lice risk and treatment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-12-2002, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I posted this in the Healthy Home forum but got no replies. I'll try my luck here.

DH just called to say that he did not drop DD off at preschool this morning. When they arrived, the teacher greeted them with a plastic bag and said there was a head lice outbreak.

DH didn't want to deal with the risk. We don't want to have to use the harsh chemecials should DD get lice. DD is at the office with DH for the morning. I'll probably keep her home tomorrow. She only goes to school on Mon & Tues. Hopefully the school will be lice free by next week.

My questions: Are we being over protective? Just how bad are the head lice chemicals? I've heard horror stories about cleaning everything in your home.

Thank you!
friend of mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 12:13 AM

The best preventative method for lice is tea tree oil. You can put half water half oil in a spray bottle and spray your child's hair each morning. Other ideas are to keep all clothing that will be stored in school in a plastic bag. And, store your child's brush in a Ziploc bag. Each morning check the bag for bugs.

The earlier you catch lice the better. The truth is, eventually you will probably have to deal with lice. It is a pain but it is something that is treatable.

Good luck,
Laura
#3 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 02:34 AM

for detering lice:
two drops of each of rosemary and lavendar oils and one drop of eucalyptus in rinse water after normal wash.
I got this recipe out of "Aromatherapy for Women and Children" by Jane Dye, it also has a lice killing routine, if you need it you can email me and I will send it to you.
Good Luck!
Sarah
#4 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 03:20 AM

I think that things that can't be washed and dryed can be treated by putting them in the freezer for a few days....at least, this is what my Mama did when we came home from school with lice.

I don't think you're overprotective....I wouldn't want to risk my kids getting lice if I had the option.

....living, learning and loving everyday with the Sweet Pea Bridgade
#5 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 06:35 AM

Your going to want to check this first, because I'm not 100% sure.

I have read before that Lemon Oil or Olive Oil works well. It smothers the skelp where the lice live and makes it undesireable. I also read that you need to comb the hair root to end 2x a day and remove the 'critters'.

We havn't had lice yet, but I'm sure it's comming one day!

Please check my info before trying it - I'd hate to be wrong and have you do something that could harm your precious one!

One thing I'm sure about though is you must vaccume every day and wash all bedding, stuffed animals and clothing! It's going to take some work, but I know many mom's have gotten rid of lice without using dangerous chemicals on their kids.
#6 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 10:01 AM

Smothering them with olive oil does work and is much safer than the chemical shampoos. You can also add a little tea tree oil to the olive oil. The key to getting rid of them is the "nits" the litle white eggs. Those really stick ti the hair. Use one of those special combs to do it and do it often.
If there are stuffed animals that can't be washed you can seal them in a plastic bag for about a week.
Don't forget to wash dress up clothes, all hats, jackets with hoods etc.

peggy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page