"MD says too much in 8 yo dd's physical" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3/10/07 This thread has just been moved for the second time, but I've said what I want to say, and responses are sort of repeating themselves, so I'm checking out of it. Here it is:

Okay, this is the first time I think that my dd had to give a pee sample that she can remember, and she is just thinking that is too funny and weird and yechhy!! Giggles, laughter. This is where we're at. She gets a blood pressure test, blood test, ears, nose, eyes. She's a healthy, athletic, second grader.

I was present with dd during the exam and discussion, when the MD launched into a sales pitch on this Guardasil vaccine to protect from the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer. "She's eight now, by nine she'll be ready for this, three shots, it's covered, she should get it, she won't know which partner she might get it from---"

"Whoa!," I shushed her right quick, and explained that this was a bit ridiculously early to talk about this... I mean. It's too soon. Sex education cannot start in 2nd grade with a vaccinating girls against sexually transmitted diseases. How patently revolting for a child's inauguration into awareness of her own coming sex life with a vaccine against, basically, what sounds like venereal cancer. And, what the ____, to dare to just blunder into my family with this pronouncement without consulting me first on whether I think it's a good thing to do, now.

I'm not entirely closed to a vaccine, but I'm not really open to it yet, as I know very little about it, and I have heard some criticism of it, questioning it's appearance on the scene, it's sudden acceptance as NECESSARY for all girls, YOUNG girls. And the insurance companies are paying for it now, so you should GET it now, because it's $500 if you have to pay cash for the three shots. I worked for a materials manager at a big hospital, and I worked for a headhunter for pharmaceutical regional sales people, and I have a lot of exposure to just how doctors and hospitals are wooed and cajoled and bought, lock stock and barrel, into making new hospital rules to prescribe as much "xylophonogenixxxeess" as we can, good for toothache, boils, heart murmur, brain tumors, kidney stones, you name it. just prescribe it, here's the keys to your condo in Hawaii and congratulations on your new car, Dr. Can't Resist." Guardisil has a reputation already for being one of those medicines that are more a way to move money around than prevent disease.

The md had also just blurted out all the various conditions and diseases in my family history (I had just seen her the day before myself for the first time, and she remembered all my stuff, but still went ahead and started listing them in my daughter's folder, while announcing them one by one, so, I stopped her, and said, "We don't need to list all of those right now, they have nothing to do with this exam." For me to have this list to carry around on my shoulders is one thing, with the g'parent with colon cancer, the one with lung cancer, another with dementia, the other merely a hypochondriac, the asthma in the family, the skin cancer my father got... the polyps removed from this one and that one---this list is just HORRIBLE to itemize for an 8 year old's medical file, out loud and in front of her, I mean.

She agreed to change the subject easily enough as I gave her a "read between the lines" look (a polite one). And then she began asking dd odd questions: "Do you take a shower by yourself? Do you soap up and wash your hair?" "no, my mom turns the water on and fixes the shower curtain so it won't stick to me." "What do you do at home? For fun?" "uh, I color, I read books, uh, uh" "What do you do when you're mad at someone?" "I draw pictures of them... etc." "Do you know how to ride a bike?" (utter confusion that she is asking this question, like, are you insinuating I can't ride a bike?) "Do you wear a helmet? Do you buckle up in the car? Booster seat? Oh, man, I never had such a thorough probing.

"Okay, now, what if your mom didn't come to pick you up and someone else came and said they were supposed to pick you up?" "I'd go to the office and ask to call my mother."

Finally, it's over...

We are home for hours, and I'm thinking how odd that was to me, and I wanted to see how dd felt about it, and BOY did she have some opinions. She said, yeah, I didn't get those questions. I mean, some of those things are personal, maybe I don't want to tell her what I do at home. What's that about? She could have asked me "What do you do at school for physical education?"

I mean, dd GOT the irony of these questions, the covert attempt to get into our family life, our home, you know, and question what she did, or I did. Did we drink soda? "Then drink diet soda." How would an eight year old girl interpret a doctor's suggestion to drink DIET soda? She's 4 foot 1, 55 lbs of strong, slender, bouncing, atheticism.

This has me pissed off, and I am going to be much more controlling in my dd's doctor visits in the future, and I'm posting this because I hope to give some other mothers the heads up that apparently doctors are going to be trying to come at our primary school girls with Guardasil, "to protect against sexually transmitted viruses... that cause cervical cancer."

Be ready for it.

VF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Wow. That was bad. I have boys & a great ped, but that's scarry anyway. Good for you for taking control of the situation. That person either doesn't have kids or has very little empathy.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 AM

That sounds horrible! I would be mad for so many reasons! Is there another doctor you might be able to switch to? With her being that invasive and blundering the first two times I'd be nervous about continuing with her. On a side note, high fructose corn syrup in soda is unhealthy but it's not exactly like the aspartame in diet is safe either!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:11 AM

I think they try to see if there is any abuse in the family. That is not a bad thing entirely of course, but sometimes I think they really go looking for something when there is nothing to find.

I took my son to a counselor. She shooed me out of the room ,but I could hear her probing my son to tell her why he is sad and did we do anything to make him sad. This kept on for at least 15 min and then she opened the door, annoyed because he wouldn't talk to her. Needless to say, we never went back.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
but I could hear her probing my son to tell her why he is sad and did we do anything to make him sad.
That seems really out of line to me. If it were something completely unrelated to family, her patients aren't going to get the help they need.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
"Then drink diet soda."
: : :

Wow! To all of it. That's crazy!

You advocated very well for your DD mama - good for you.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Please take a jaunt over to the vax forum and read more about this vax.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 03-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
oh my gosh! "because you never know which partner . . . . " as far as my dd is concerned (and this is the extent of her sexual knowledge) you only ever have one partner - your husband.

as for the questions . . .she seems like a thorough doctor. The questions covered emotional health, safety (at every visit my Dr. asks me if the girls are in school - if I were to answer yes he would give a talk about washing hands and communicable diseases, carseats, seatbelts etc . . . ), physical development and nutrition. Although I would never take my Dr. nutrition advice.

the whole thing seems rather like overkill. and I like that our Dr. talks to me instead of directly to my dds most of the time. at least about important decisions about vaccines an sex education.

if you are not comfortable with this Dr. I would certainly suggest finding another one. I would hate to think that my Dr. was trying to be sneaky about getting information out of dds or trying to go behind my back to give them conflicting information .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:37 PM

New Ped time!

I think we'd have just left. That's so ridiculous.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Well, I think there is a balance. Many docs don't ask any questions about your overall lifestyle, which does a disservice. It sounds like your ped was trying to get at the overall lifestyle, but didn't handle it in a very good way. He apparently has an appalling bedside manner. I do think it was out of line to start talking about venereal disease to a second grader! That is a discussion for mom and dad.

Perhaps if he had handled some of the topics more gently, or waited to ask some of them over time, as he got to know your family better, it would have been better. He was also probably trying to push it all into a 15-minute interview.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Banned

With the exception of pushing the vaccine without discussing it with you first, and the silly comment about diet soda, I do not think the doctor's questioning was out of line.

In fact, I think it was very much IN line and I applaud him for being so thorough. All of those questions are relevant to his patient's health and wellbeing and definitely belong in a WCC.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:43 PM

I think it's good for a doctor to ask questions about the child's life and the way things go around the house. Sometimes that may be a child's only chance to get help if the home situation is bad.

Your situation was ridiculous though. The gardasil salespitch didn't help, that's for certain.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:44 PM

The questions are standard for that year's WCC.

They always ask 'developmental' crap questions at every well-child visit, at least every one I've been to. And I know they like to see the child answer the questions, rather than just speaking to the parent as if the child is a dumb, semi-present entity in the room.

That being said, the discussion around the vaccine was inappropriate (insinuating multiple partners). I don't think it's unreasonable for a doctor to assume (or at least hope) that the parents have started some basic level of sex education for their children (I guess I assumed most people started developmentally appropriate education at K-level). STDs for a 8 year old is a bit much for me.

However, it could be the doctor was trying to head off the whole 'well, this vaccine is just a licence for slutdom' or 'my daughter will be a virgin until she marries so who cares' arguments, but the way she did it was not very respectful or smart. Or useful.

But I'm a firm believer in switching practitioners if you're uncomfortable, even for 'silly' reasons like a clash in personalities, much less worldview or differences in opinion on what's appropriate. I'm comfortable with a doctor with very mainstream views, as long as they are respectful and are a good doctor. I know some folks need more from their doc than I do. Go with what you feel safe and comfortable with.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 PM

I understand the push is to vaccinate NOw ( age 8-9) as there might not be another contact with a health care professional before a kid becomes sexually active. I kinew girls who were having sex qat age 12 so I can understand.

Not that i'm saying it is right- As soon as my three year old understands a bit more about sex she will know that you have sex with your husband period- that said- if I am at all concerned I would get my kid vaccinated.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:38 PM

Dd is 11 and approaching her WCC shortly. I am certain that her ped will bring up this vax, and dd and I have already had a few short conversations about it. We are in agreement that we aren't going to do it at this time. I wanted to include her in the discussion for exactly the reasons you are describing -- I don't want her to feel bullied or pressured in any way, esp. if she has time alone with the doc (which may happen at this age).

It sounds like you did a good job of handling a tricky situation.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback...

Besides knowing that I am going to warn every other mother of an 8 yr old I know that the guardasil talk may come up and if they want to avoid it, let the doctor know in advance that it's off limits in front of their dd.

Oh, today, dd and I were watching the tv, and a commercial came on about herpes, and having an outbreak during sex--man I loathe the marketing pigs who fill our formerly enjoyable midday tv-watching with these wonderful topics. The dialogue said something about sexually transmitted... dd asks, "Mom, is that what the doctor was talking about?" I said, no, no, not this--."

Motherf---, I am pissed about having to talk to my dd about herpes, sexually transmitted DISEASES, and multiple partners and cervical cancer. THANKS, you blundering MD!! I know, a couple of my girlfriends were sexually active at 12, 13, and that was in the early seventies, so, things have not changed that much, but I wasn't, and I didn't, and I do think that an MD owes a parent a little bit of warning that they are going to launch in that direction and do you have any perhaps religious objections to that taking place in front of your child? To clarify, I have long ago started some sex ed talks with my dd, age appropriate talks, safe touch talk, and adding bits and pieces more as we go, depending on what she occasionally actually asks me directly about, and what comes up for whatever reason: a tv show, her friends' talk, teachers, etc. I observe a very healthy openness about it, with a deep respect for the nature of innocence, how it passes in a flash... and it is a precious treasure to preserve for your child for a wonderful ten or so years, if possible. It's a gift I do not want to see tarnished prematurely.

Also, I am going to make it a practice to ask for a pre-interview each time I bring dd in for any appt, in order to remind the MD that I do not want the MD to ever bring up the subject of family health history in dd's presence. I didn't know my fam health history until I was deep into my 20s and it didn't make a whit of difference anyway, so why burden the children? And, to keep the word, "diet" to themselves also, unless my child balloons up to 1 pd overweight. Tonight, my brother who is visiting from faraway, took dd and I out to a very nice dinner with his children and other family, and when ordering her drink, my daughter looked at me and said, "Mom, remember the doctor said I should get diet soda?" : I said, "No, she was wrong, we're not getting diet soda."

You know, if they called it "Healthier Choice" soda, I think I might get it (must study up on aspartame too), but "diet soda?" no. this is the age, this is the moment of truth: "Am I okay, or should I change to be liked?"

Anyway, many thanks for the thoughtful, considered and enlightening responses.

VF
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffer23 View Post
New Ped time!

I think we'd have just left. That's so ridiculous.
: Excuse me, my head just exploded reading that.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:37 PM

I'd find a new Dr, as that one was totally out of line. Repeating the full family history that was gleaned and remembered from your visit the day before? Completely inappropraite. Pushing HPV vax to a 2nd grader, completely inappropriate. I could go on but why bother.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

For the mother who said that she preferred that the doctor talked to her instead of to her children, I disagree strongly.

That's ok for toddlers and preschoolers. For grade school kids, it's disrespectful and dismissive. You're there to fill in the blanks, but an 8 year old is more than capable of taking part in her own physical.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ya know after thinking more I guess my kids haven't ben to the Dr. in forever. but still I prefer the Dr. ask for my input as well. I know I lied to my Dr. when I was kid. thats if I was feeling brave enough to answer at all. I gave him all the "right" answers because I wanted him to think i was a good kid. I also don't want him bringing up topics I think are innapropriate (for example sex and birth control and ways to get around STDs).

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 PM

I would find a new ped.

It seems to me that our ped talks openly to both me and my children, but there's a level of openness and respect between us that "probing" into our family life is unnecessary. And thankfully, our ped is 100% okay with our vax choices.

Also, if there was something amiss in the family life of a patient, I highly doubt that the child will say as much in front of his/her parent.

Last time we went to the ped, he asked my ds if he ate his vegetables. Ds said, "Only with oil and vinegar."
Old 03-04-2007, 09:54 PM

Yikes, there are so many inappropriate actions there--pushing the vax, implying multiple sex partners, talking about your family medical history, asking those personal non-medical questions, promoting diet soda...

I can understand asking the safety questions (like about wearing a helmet and not going with strangers), but that other stuff was way out of line!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
For the mother who said that she preferred that the doctor talked to her instead of to her children, I disagree strongly.

That's ok for toddlers and preschoolers. For grade school kids, it's disrespectful and dismissive. You're there to fill in the blanks, but an 8 year old is more than capable of taking part in her own physical.
I feel that I am present at her physical for more than filling in the blanks for my child.

If one could be sure that every single doctor one might come into contact with was our idea of perfect, and that they will stick to just doing a physical, yes, maybe, but they are not all so trustworthy in that regard. Ours thought it was a good idea to bring up sexual activity and the possibility of multiple sex partners and sexually transmitted diseases (without my prior authorization); our family medical history which in this case the MD knew was heavy, to say the least; my second grader going on a diet (she's normal weight, not an ounce of fat on her); and a bunch of surprising, confusing, probing "developmental" questions, like "Do you take showers by yourself?" The look that came over my dd's face told it all: Mommy? wtf?" (my interpretation of the look).

Now, my dd is a pretty savvy child, but, she certainly isn't going to say to a doctor I have brought her to, "I think you are bringing up inappropriate material for me, and I insist that you stop it and stick to the medical exam. My bathing practices are my personal business, and where are you going with this line of questioning, anyway? I just met you today. And by the way, word at the hopscotch is that the guardasil vaccine is just another pharmaceutical company filling their pockets on the taxpayers' backs and the patriarchy trying to poison women's bodies. I'm not buying it. Junie B. Jones isn't getting it, and neither am I. And that's all." (Gotta be a Junie B. Jones reader to get that one.)

That would have been pretty impressive, though. I'm sure it's coming.

VF
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

Ok, that cracked me up

What I meant was, rather than pedi looking over child's head and lecturing mom on the importance of safety seat usage, it makes more sense for me for the ped to say, "So, Junior, tell me about when you ride in the car. Do you have a booster seat?"

I agree that your ped had a terrible bedside manner : I *think* what he was trying to allude to in the "Do you shower alone" was "Do you have appropriate independent hygeine skills for someone your age". But it was a strange way to ask it
Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewfinder View Post

Now, my dd is a pretty savvy child, but, she certainly isn't going to say to a doctor I have brought her to, "I think you are bringing up inappropriate material for me, and I insist that you stop it and stick to the medical exam. My bathing practices are my personal business, and where are you going with this line of questioning, anyway? I just met you today. And by the way, word at the hopscotch is that the guardasil vaccine is just another pharmaceutical company filling their pockets on the taxpayers' backs and the patriarchy trying to poison women's bodies. I'm not buying it. Junie B. Jones isn't getting it, and neither am I. And that's all." (Gotta be a Junie B. Jones reader to get that one.)

That would have been pretty impressive, though. I'm sure it's coming.

VF
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I think you should write a letter to the dr. explaining that this visit upset you and your daughter, for these reasons, and that you are considering changing doctors to avoid this type of thing in future. Include phone numbers where dr. can contact you to discuss the issue. If she's a good dr. who just had a blundering day, she'll call you and apologize and discuss how to do better and put a note in your file to remind herself. If she doesn't respond, don't go back. I have had very good success with this approach.

About the diet soda, my friend who is a family practice physician is very frustrated over many doctors' attitudes on this issue. Diet soda is NOT good for you! It's just bad in some different ways than sugary soda. A more appropriate response to finding out that a patient drinks soda is to indicate that it should be an occasional treat and to suggest healthy beverages. For a child who is not overweight, the wise alternative would be 100% fruit juice. What's wrong with doctors?! My friend thinks it's a lack of creativity and critical thinking.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 03-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

Yeah, what's with the diet soda thing? That's durned peculiar. I just can't imagine why a ped would suggest ANY kind of soda to a kid. Why not say, "Drink flavored waters instead of soda" or something along those lines?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM

oh no she didn't!!

I'd be looking for a new doctor. This one obviously needs some tweaking.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Yeah, what's with the diet soda thing? That's durned peculiar. I just can't imagine why a ped would suggest ANY kind of soda to a kid. Why not say, "Drink flavored waters instead of soda" or something along those lines?
Didn't you know? Pepsi is GOOD for you!

http://hcrenewal.blogspot.com/2007/0...ith-pepsi.html

Won't be long now before peds are recommending Mountain Dew to help you study for that big spelling test.

Diet Mountain Dew, of course :

Edit: (ASCII doesn't convey my tongue-in-cheekness too well. Don't take me too seriously)
Old 03-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Ditto the new dr. I think there is a place for talking to the kids directly- I know my ped asks my son questions to see where he is at developmentally (not that I think you can judge such a thing in a 3 sentence coversation but thats another issue). Also if there IS a problem that could be the childs only opportunity to get help.
However the whole guardasil vax thing was WAY out of line and over the top. So not only would I be switching peds but I would be sending a letter to this one to tell them WHY I left.

User Tag List