Child sized mops? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know where to buy kid sized mops? We've instituted (well, re-instituted) a new, 15 minute a day cleaning time, where EVERYONE in the house cleans something. It works amazingly well to get the basic jobs (floors swept, mopped, bathrooms cleaned, etc) done.

Part of the success is that the kids get to do some of the 'fun' jobs some of the time - like vacuuming and mopping. We've got a little hand vac for them to use, and a little broom, but I'd like to get some kid sized mops too. That way I could actually MOP with my mop and they could swish water around on the floor.

Where can I get a child sized mop? I'm thinking I'd like a cloth one (right now I've got a sponge one, which lasts about one mopping incident per sponge head because the kids push so hard on it), and then a bucket with the squeezer thingy on it. Any ideas?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you can't find one, you can always get one with a wood handle and saw part of it off. Montessori supply online stores probaby have that sort of thing.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Here you go:

Yarn Mop

Sponge Mop

Mop Bucket

That site has child sized everything!
#4 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM

We just cut down an adult sized mop to be the right height for dd...I looooove the products in the Montessori and Waldorf catalogs but financially the "buy full sized and cut down" approach has worked better for us.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 PM

We use a swiffer with one of the handle parts left out to shorten it...
#6 of 13 Old 03-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac View Post
Here you go:

Yarn Mop

Sponge Mop

Mop Bucket

I love this site, but I would not recommend this mop! The handle broke pretty quickly. I am going to try off the sawed-off larger version, next.
#7 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lberk View Post
We use a swiffer with one of the handle parts left out to shorten it...
we did the same thing. I use the big swiffer with the spray cleaner on it and my son uses the "mini" swiffer next to me.
#8 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 AM

Pricey, but Magic Cabin carries functional (or so they claim- I haven't bought these) kid-size house cleaning tools

Child's Cleaning Set
#9 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac View Post
Here you go:

Yarn Mop

Sponge Mop

Mop Bucket

We don't have the mop but everything we've bought from here we have been happy with so far.
#10 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 03:08 AM

Restaurant supply stores (Sysco, Bresco, etc.) carry very large "basting wands" or "basting mops", which are for all intents and purposes child-sized mops.

They're very stoutly made and since they're designed for use with food, they don't have weird chemicals or toxic paints on them.
#11 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great suggestions! Swifters won't do because we're really talking about MOPPING (as in mopping old ice cream off the floor kind of dirt), and personally, I dislike the disposable aspect of them.

The yarn mop is exactly what I'm looking for (actually I want to get one for each of us - a grown up one for me, and one each for the kids). I love the idea of the baster mops, and may start there if they're big enough. (I wonder where my local restaurant supply store is?) The For Small Hands link is good -- I may well buy a bucket from them for the kids to use.

I realized as I was looking at the links that a cut down mop may indeed be best for ds, as he's actually too tall for our child-sized broom right now. Apparently they're meant for toddlers? : But at 49", he might well need something else. I guess I gotta go measure!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#12 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM

Michael Olaf has them in various sizes and VERY durable. Mine has lasted through 2 yrs of daily use in 3 yr old preschool classes (one yr of all boys) and through 2 yrs of being used regularly at my house. It's a bit dingy now but in great condition (bleaching would work to make it look pretty again, I think) and still very functional. (Look in their 0-3 catalog for mops for toddlers.) http://www.michaelolaf.com//1CW36famcare.html

However, they don't have the nice buckets. (They do have tin ones, but not the ones that squeeze.) The school version of the small hands web site has the dual purpose buckets. http://www.montessoriservices.com/st...&cPath=108_135

Edited to add: By the way, Lynn, I LOVE your blog! Wow, how incredibly cool is that? (I'm not a linguist, but I did take a couple classes in college as part of an English major and loved them, and what's cooler than childhood language development?)
#13 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 01:16 PM

I got mine at Target for $2.48.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page