7 year olds -- Kissing??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My dd told me last night that this boy (her 'boyfriend') kissed her. First on the cheek and then on the mouth. What am I supposed to make of this??? I am happy that she felt comfortable enough to tell me, but am horrified that she thinks kissing boys at 7 is ok.

Anyone else btdt???

I am scared to over-react because I DO want dd to continue to talk with me about these things. . . but this seems really young to me.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My and a neighbor boy kissed when I was 5 or 6 and he was 4 or 5. We just wanted to see what it was like. I didn't kiss another boy until I was 17!
#3 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 08:53 AM

what did she think about it?
#4 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 AM

I would gently discuss how it made her feel and lead it into maybe we should wait until we are a little older to try it again.
#5 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 10:59 AM

It's normal to experiment like that. My oldest is 8(in Grade 3) and they have been told at school since Grade 1(or K, but I think it was Grade 1) that they aren't allowed to kiss at school - girls or boys.

There's a group of them(6 or 7) who've all had the same "boyfriend" since K. Poor kid, he doesn't even know it.lol
#6 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
There's a group of them(6 or 7) who've all had the same "boyfriend" since K. Poor kid, he doesn't even know it.lol
Too funny.

My dd told me her friend in school still has a boyfriend and it is the boy that moved away about two months ago.
#7 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
thanks! this is making me feel a lot better

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#8 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my oldest (6.5) has had tons of "girlfriends" in the last 2 years. We have talked about how it's ok to kiss someone on the cheek if you both say it's ok, and that mouth kissing is only for married couples (and in that we include all grownups who are a couple) and mommas and daddies.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#9 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 AM

My 7yo dd has been really interested in that sort of thing lately, too. I suspect it is imitation more than anything.
#10 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 AM

My now 8 year-old son has told me about a few different girls he has kissed, the first one being in Kindergarten.

I was seriously freaked at first, but looking back I kissed a boy or two in early grade school. Like a pp, I was much older before I kissed any others. I think when kids are real young, like ours are now, it's not a scary thing because it doesn't have the potential to lead to anything more (for MOST kids). I remember as I got into the upper grade school grades I would hardly look at boys because I knew more about sex and it was SCARY!
#11 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 04:43 AM

I definitely remember getting kissed by a classmate during a playdate at his house. I was about 6 or 7 at the time. I remember being like "EEEEEWWWW, gross!" and didn't kiss a boy again. (Lo and behold, I turned out queer. My response may be an outlier. )

I don't think it's anything to be worried about if it was just a kiss. I would, however, talk to your dd. This could also be a segway into a conversation about personal space and appropriate v. inappropriate touching. I would certainly mention something about setting boundaries in an age-appropriate way.

Good luck!
#12 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 AM

i've been hearing from dd1 (kindergarten) about how she and her best friend chase a boy, want to marry him, etc, for months. then last week i heard the scoop on who kisses whom at school (mary kisses john, jane kisses sam, etc.). it did seem to be the girls initiating most of it in her class.

and my best friend has many a time recalled how she and a boy used to hide behind the garbage cans at school and kiss, in 1st grade (1971).

so don't sweat it.

my signature is usually illegible

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page