Anti-Video Game resources - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 125 Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I regret that I found this thread so late.

Video games promote hand-eye coordination, fluid intellegence development (reactive problem solving ability), computer trouble shooting, Visual reaction time improvement, Team and/or individual strategy, typing ability, pattern recognition, etc etc. These are all very important life skills in my opinion.

I make all of my money based on my fluid intellegence especially with regards to technology, and I developed that skill through hours of video game playing.

All the same bad scary stuff that video games cause were said about Chaucer, Shakespeare, Swing music, Rock and Roll, Comic books, etc.

There are great games which inspire thought, creativity, challenge traditional thought processes and launch you into another plane of reactive, imersive problem solving. There are mind-numbing games that leave you drooling on the couch. Most of the "Educational" games I have played or seen fall under the mind numbing category. Most of the "Player's choice" games that I have played fall under the stimulating category.

I think that is one of the main reasons why people hate games... they say "ok we will try the safe educational ones" and they are crap.
#122 of 125 Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oh No! You raised the beast from the dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
I think that is one of the main reasons why people hate games... they say "ok we will try the safe educational ones" and they are crap.
That is my ds' opinion!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#123 of 125 Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Hey, the Humongous Games are marketed as "educational," and they're fantastic! Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, et al. I've been known to keep playing Freddi Fish after my daughter has wandered off, because I just have to figure out how to get the royal guard to give me the butter knife I need to tickle the oyster and get the pearl, or what have you.
#124 of 125 Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 PM

I'm not trying to resurrect a dead discussion, but just wanted to add a link I saw on the Mothering main page about children and chess. You can still be AP and teach your young child to play chess. There was no mention about the purported link between chess and poor social skills.
#125 of 125 Old 04-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Banned

I don't know if the OP will ever wander back here. But I've been thinking about this thread and wondering something. Is there something about your husband (or his gaming buddies) that makes you think his development was compromised by videogames when he was young? And if so, have you discussed this with him? A conversation like that could go either way -- he could take it as concern for him or he could be totally insulted. But if there is something about him that you think is attributable to gaming, it should probably get discussed now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page