Anyone's children ever have feet that hurt??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-08-2003, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please Help!!!

My DS (3 1/2) has been having feet that hurt at night for the past month. I keep telling him his feet are just growing sooooo fast and massaging them arnica oil. He's got great shoes that fit. I'm completely stumped. They only hurt at night either just before falling asleep or in the middle of the night.

Anyone ever had this with their young'ns???

Joyfulliging
#2 of 14 Old 06-08-2003, 12:23 PM

It's not that they *only* hurt at night, mama...that's when it's most obvious. He's laying there quietly (not running around/stomping/playing) and his feet start talking to him.

You may want to add a small dose of analgesic (tylenol, arnica tabs, whatever you use lol) if it's keeping him up all night.
#3 of 14 Old 06-08-2003, 12:35 PM

it's happened at our house and I also figured it was growing pains. Sometimes tylenol or other was needed.

I hope your som feels better soon.
#4 of 14 Old 06-08-2003, 01:58 PM

YUP!! Happened to me all the time while growing up! We called
them growing pains too! My mom used to massage my legs
for hours to relieve the pain!
My advice.........eat lots of bananas! Potasium seems to help.

T moving this to Childhood years!
#5 of 14 Old 06-08-2003, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Arduinna, Tinklebelle and Missgrl,

It is comforting to know this can happen and that growing pains are real. Missgrl - thanks for relocating. I did purposely put it in TOA to get the biggest audience from those past this stage in age - It worked!!! Sorry thought to go off-topic.

I'll try the bananas idea - interestingly we've not been eating them much lately and before we ate (he ate, rather) many of them.

xo

Joyfulliving
#6 of 14 Old 06-09-2003, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm glad I read this. I remember having pain in my knees when I was a kid. But I was told there's no such thing as "growing pains". Well, whatever you want to call it, it hurt worst at night, when I lay there trying to go to sleep.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#7 of 14 Old 06-10-2003, 04:54 PM

When I was a kid, I had horrible growing pains, all up and down my legs and feet (and I'm not even that tall... go figure). My mom was a nurse, and she just made me eat a lot of bananas and drink plenty of water (helps keep the muscles hydrated). My dad massaged my legs when they hurt really badly. You may want to try letting him sleep with his lower legs propped up on a fluffy pillow in a cool cotton case, that really helps, too.
#8 of 14 Old 06-12-2003, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

journeymom, Thejmeister, wow, they must have hurt really bad if you can still remember them to this day!!! All this is very comforting. I suppose if it gets worse or if it continues for a long time, i need to go to the ped. but i try to avoid going there if at all possible. last thing I want is someone insisting that we run tests on "growing pains"

Thanks for your continued input here you all.

JL
#9 of 14 Old 06-17-2003, 12:56 AM

Just to say it happened to me too. I had it the worst in my early teens. Always when I was tired and the pain would start in my feet and work its way up. If the pain made it to my hips I would be in tears before I could sleep -- tylenol was what I took. My ds has been complaining off and on about his feet (he's 4 yo) and I've inspected his feet closely, but I think it's the "growing pains" thing. It's weird. Who knows. I remember, though, that massage and even just squeezing the muscles and joints helped. Heat also helped me.
#10 of 14 Old 06-17-2003, 01:05 AM

I remember laying in bed crying at a very young age because my legs/ankles/feet hurt soooo much!

My mom would massage them for a long time at bed time.

I second supping with potassium/magnesium. (The banana thing is good) That really helps with crampy muscles.
#11 of 14 Old 06-17-2003, 02:09 AM

My feet and calves hurt a LOT when I was little... different reason though... I learned to walk on my toes, and never changed this habit... eventually needed casts to stretch my achilies heel. I'm sure your ds's problem is just what everyone else has experienced, but you might want to make sure he's not walking on his toes... pretty easy to spot, and I know if my mom/dad has spotted it a lot younger than they did it would have been SO much easier to treat....

I also had 'growing pains' after all that junk got straightened up... so regardless of if they are or aren't real it seems that a lot of us experienced it....

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#12 of 14 Old 06-17-2003, 01:17 PM

My dd's feet hurt a lot at about that age, too. She's 5 now and they still occasionally urt, but not so often. I would sit on the end of her bed in the evening and rub them as she was settling in to sleep, and that helped. Sometimes she would wake up at night with them hurting. Our doc told me it's fairly common for little kids.
#13 of 14 Old 06-20-2003, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, All of you who keep writing about your own and your children's experiences - Thank you. It is so comforting. last night DS was unable to fall asleep for over two hours. They were really bothering him and I could tell that even though he was absolutely exhausted his discomfort was keeping him awake. We tried EVERTHING and I mean everything. Arnica massage, the hot water lammy bottle, I even gave him some valerian, we rocked, I hugged and danced with him, sang every single song i knew. The poor love just could not relax. Finally i gave him chamomilla from his teething days and it was either that or he simply passed out - voila, he zonked. Whew. he keps saying that the nails hurt. hmmm. i just had his shoes checked by our great shoe person and she said they definately still fit.

Thanks for listening.

love,
JL
#14 of 14 Old 06-26-2003, 09:19 PM

My 5 yo has complained about feet hurting, too. I never thought about growing pains (though I remember them from my own childhood). I thought it was jsut that his feet were asleep. Hmmm. I will have to rethink this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page