professional ear piercer for dc? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone gone to a professional piercer to have their dc's ears pierced?

my 6r dd really wants her ears pierced. I'm going to have her wait a while (month or so) but would like to get my ducks in a row.

I've heard how evil the piercing guns are the mall places. But I don't know of anyone that has done it another way. I have some local moms that have a fav piercer (for themselves) and I'm waiting for a callback to get the details from him.

In the mean time, any suggestions, tips, etc?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#2 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had mine done in the mall with a gun when I was 7. It hurt so much I wouldn't let them do the other one. Of course, they did anyway. Make sure she knows that it's going to HURT.
#3 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 PM

I briefly worked for Limited Too before DS was born. (It was horrible.) Around that time, they decided to offer ear piercing. Even then, I thought the "training" was a joke. There was almost NO mention of diseases, sanitation, etc. The training focused on selling the earrings and trying to make sure the holes were even.

I hope you can have a professional piercer do it. I don't think I could have my child done by anyone at a mall-type place.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#4 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 10:16 PM

If I have daughters I will be taking them to a professional piercer to get their ears pierced. I agree on the sanitation points, so I won't repeat all of that. Professional piercers use a hollow needle that takes out a hole in the ear. Piercing guns jam a hole through the flesh and you can get into some yucky issues with that, like keloid scarring. I had my ears pierced at Claire's and had 1 infected hole during the healing period and every so often get a cyst inside my earlobe on the scar tissue. Yeow.
#5 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 PM

one of our best friends is a professional piercer and he has told us that he will pierce dd(6) when we are all ready. he told us not to go to the mall b/c it can be very dirty and you just don't know what you're getting. he does work at another friends tattoo shop and they are VERY clean so i guess what i am saying is go to a reputable place where people you know have had good results.
don't just trust the teenagers at the mall.
#6 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

The local piercer called back. He prefers a person be 14+ to insure they can sit still through it all.
I truly think my dd could do it, she had to deal with a lot of pain with some stitches (bowling ball smashed her finger) I would prefer a piercer that does piercings on children on a semi-regular basis. I think I can get dd to hold out till she's 8 or so and then try again.

I was told that some MD use a one time only gun. Addresses the germs but not the ear trama.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 PM

You can even buy a gun and do it yourself, they sell them at most stores. I had mine done at the mall and it didn't hurt; 14yo ds1 recently had his done at WalMart with a one time use gun and he said it didn't hurt; they've heald fine.

If you have the money and a good piercer, I'd go that route....the only benefit to the gun is that it's quick!

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#8 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 PM

I recommend waiting, also (though if you were near me I would offer to do it ~ I have sterile piercing supplies....)
#9 of 15 Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM

I'd wait if you can hold your dd off. I took my dd to a professional piercer to get her ears pierced when she turned 7. At this place, they will only pierce ears on people younger than 14?, 16?, and a parent must give permission. I told her what to expect, why I wanted her to be pierced that way and not at Claire's like her friends. She was fine w/my reasons and excited to get her ears pierced. The piercer was wonderful, showed my dd everything she would use, demonstrated how she'd pierce her, and promised her she wouldn't surprise her or trick her. My dd said it hurt but not too much, and had no problem getting the second ear done. My younger dd can't wait till she's 7 to get her ears done, and knows she'll go to the same place. Oh, and my dd's ears healed really quickly, w/in a couple of weeks. A needle doesn't destroy the ear tissue like the gun does, so the piercing generally heals faster. Oh, and I'd prepared my dd for the piercing place to not have a great selection of earrings for her (I thought they'd have mainly gold studs of various sizes), but they had a fabulous selection. Bonus!
#10 of 15 Old 04-18-2007, 01:07 AM

don't use a gun at the mall they have been said to pass on HIV/AIDS because the blood gets caught in the gun

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#11 of 15 Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 AM

Also, I think a professional piercer would hurt LESS. The gun may be quick but it's jamming the actual earring through your ear and it's scary because of force and the POP of the gun. A piercer might take a wee bit longer because it's not in one step but as a tradeoff, it's a super sharp needle and not as traumatic. Personally, regardless of where you get her ears pierced I would wait til she's a bit older, like at least 8. I even think that's a bit young but I think those two years will provide her with a lot of maturity and she'll be able to better understand why it's so important to clean the piercings regularly.
#12 of 15 Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 AM

I have nine piercings in my ears and have had very mixed results.my first piercings were around that age, and as i grew so did my ears, and now there crooked ( not very noticably, but i can tell) My advice wouyld be to try to wait a few years, and then go to a profesional, maybe at a tattoo shop. Definitly check into them first, get refs.
Good luck!
#13 of 15 Old 04-18-2007, 02:11 AM

I'll repeat what everyone else has said--no gun, ever! They can't be cleaned and sterilized, so it's very possible for them to spread hepatitis or HIV. Also, the trauma does make it much harder to heal the piercing, even the one-time use guns.

You could go to a professional piercer, but many places have a strict policy about not piercing children, even with parental consent and a parent present.

Some doctors will do piercings. Perhaps check with your pediatrician?

You can pierce them yourself at home--you can purchase sterile piercing needles and jewelery online. (Try bmezine.com. Be aware, though, that the site has photos of many extreme piercings and tattoos. I would load it when little eyes are not in the room.) Doing the piercing isn't difficult--mark, check that the marks are even, pierce. One of my friends is an amateur piercer, and many of my friends have gotten pierced in her bathroom--we use sterile needles and jewelery, she wears gloves, and no one's ever had a problem or an infection. If a bunch of college students can pierce each other in a tiny bathroom, you can do it at home!

Just please, please, please, don't go with the piercing gun.
#14 of 15 Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

I suggest going for earings that have absolutely no nickel in them because nickel allergies are very common. Even the earrings that are for sensitive ears have nickel and some of the cheap gold or silver ones do also. There are some nicer stores in the mall that pierce ears and sell higher end earrings made of different metals. People get infected from having their ears done by professional ear piercers also, my friend got a nasty infection from a place that is considered to be the best in our town. I recommend asking your pediatrician or doctor for a recomendation.
#15 of 15 Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 AM

My ped has three dd's herself told and her patients (in our wealthy somewhat neurotic parent (me included) often ask her to do it.

She wondered if piercing in her office was so much better than piercing at the local mall store which uses a disposable one time use gun that she should tell her patients NOT to use the mall.

She did a 10 year "study" not scientifically valid of course, but was suprised that the mall users experienced no more difficulties with the piecings than those done in her office (even though the fact that she was conducinting the "study" made her super cautious).

My kids did the mall thing and all three (ages 4-5 at the time they were pierced claimed it barely hurt).

As for the right age, that is up to you. I waited 'til my kids were old ennough to express a desire. I told them it would hurt.

Interestingly my ped said the LEAST infections seemed to happen (In her experience) under age 7. It was her theory that younger kids were more used to being "fiddled with" by their parents and their parents were more used to being in charge of the most intricate of their bodily care and as kids got older, it was actually LESS likely that their would be a "red alert" in parents minds surrounding the need for cleaning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page