Mothering Forum banner

Questions about your period!

725 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  callmemama 
#1 ·
How do you handle this?

My dd, age 4.5, has noticed my tampons in the bathroom and has asked me what they are, and there have also been times when I've had to change tampons or pads in a public toilet with her, but I'm usually pretty discreet about that because blood freaks her out a little.

I try to answer all her questions honestly, but I'm also a believer in giving as little info as they need to satisfy their curiosity. I don't think it's necessary to give her too much detail at this age. I was caught off guard and didn't give her the best explanation, but she didn't ask again...so I'll be better prepared next time!

The main reason why I hesitate to explain tampons is that my dd is a typical 4.5 year old, meaning that just because I tell her something is not for children, she won't necessarily follow that rule. In fact, it just makes things more tempting. I don't want her trying to insert anything into her vagina and hurting herself! I keep my tampons out of her reach, but trust me, this kid is creative, and lots of things are shaped like a tampon. Yikes.

TMI, sorry, but has anyone else dealt with this?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know about how to not make using tampons like mommy tempting, but I do know that my mom told me all about my body when I was young young. I even remember her using a mirror to show me what was what. I was maybe 5. So I don't think she is too young to know about women's moon cycles (especially if she is asking). I wonder if you being secretive and discreet is peaking her interest - maybe laying it all out in the open will help?

Would telling her tampons are for menstruation and she will use them when she starts menstrating (as opposed to telling her they are for adults only) help?

Good luck

#3 ·
She knows all about my period. I was never discreet about changing a pad or tampon in front of her, so she is quite familiar with the routine. She was initially concerned about the blood, but I explained that when girls get older they have a period. Once a month blood comes out of my vagina, but it doesn't mean that I am hurt. The blood is there so that I am able to grow a baby, and the babies need the blood to grow. If there is no baby, the mommy doesn't need to keep the blood and so it leaves her body. I also told her that she won't have to use pads or tampons until she gets her period, probably in another 7 or 8 years. It was mildly interesting to her at first, but now it's commonplace. Now she will run to the other room to grab a pad for me if I've forgotten one. Oh, and I have let her see, touch and play with both a pad and a tampon so they lost their sense of mystery. She used to love unwrapping the pads for me, but it has since lost it's allure.

As long as she's asking I don't think you can be too honest about our bodies. The more information you give her now, the less of a surprise it will be when the time comes.

Oh, and I had one more thought. You could tell dd that tampons don't hurt older girls and women because their bodies are big enough for them, but they would hurt a little girl, so she shouldn't try to put anything up there.

#4 ·
I've given the same explanation as Jen's.

My girls seem more interested in pads than tampons, though, and I've let them try wearing pads. After once or twice the novelty wear off.

I've also gone into the bathroom and discovered pads stuck all over the front of the cabinets, LOL. All three of my girls have decorated with pads.

Diana

#5 ·
This really hits home, becuase my 4 1/2 DD just found one of my tampons and also asked what it was. I then had a heart to heart talk with her about EVERYTHING. Menstration, how babies are made, where the baby comes out, etc. She said "oh gross!" and "I never want to grow up". I kind of chuckled, but told her not to worry about it until she is older, but if she has questions to please ask me. I would be happy to answer them. I got out some books and showed her pictures of the ovaries and flopean tubes and the route that the egg travels, etc. She was actually very interested in that part. We talked about if the egg is not fertalized then it dies and that is why we bleed. I really got into it and she was asking questions so I kept going. It was funny becuase I had just thought the week before, that she was old enough to know some of this and when and how was I going to bring it up, but I guess I didn't have to worry about that too much.
I would just tell her and answer her questions. I like the idea of telling her that they do not fit little girls bodies and would hurt her.
My DS (20 months) is more interested in unwrapping the packages and playing with them than DD. Oh well. I guess he will learn too. He says "oohh, neato", and then starts to suck on the plastic tube like a pacifier.
I had to laugh!

#8 ·
I too have always been open to my children but I'm more in between I guess. I tell them accurate information using correct terms w/o getting too specific. The topic hasn't come up with my 3yo yet, but when my 9yo and 8yo were younger it did. I told them that the bleeding is what makes mommies able to have babies and that tampons and pads work like bandaids, they keep the blood from getting everywhere. When they were 5 and 6 I was pregnant with my now 3yo and we talked about what happens to a pregnant woman's body. However the "How'd the baby get there?" Question was answered by "The daddy puts it there." When they were 7 and 8yo they showed interest in how exactly the baby gets there, so I explained sex to them, and we also discussed sexually transmitted diseases and the responsibility of creating a baby. Lately we talk alot about the responsibilities of parenthood, although that's not so much reproductive organ related, it is still the progression of the same discussions.

Disa

#10 ·
I'm so glad that you started this thread. My ds 7yr.old knows nothing. I have always kept my pads and tampons out of sight and dispose of them discreetly. I'm switching to mama cloth this month and was just thinking about how he'll know something since they will have to be put somewhere to soak. I guess it's time I told him. You all seemed to get pretty good reactions.

I think the younger you tell your dd the better. She will see it as just a normal part of life.

#11 ·
One of the drawbacks of having lactational amenorrhea for 26 months is I suddenly had a "new" thing and an inquisitive 2yo! I "hid" everything for about a year, then decided the sooner he knew what was going on, the better. So I explained to him that mommies make a "nest" (something he can relate to) inside them every month so they can have a baby. If there is no baby, the nest comes out (its bloody). I still haven't let him watch me insert tampons but at least he has a clue why I want some privacy. Not as open as I could be, but its working for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.