*~*Ah! July '07 for the May '04 kiddos! Whoah!*~* - Mothering Forums

#1 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Check me out, making the new thread for our group when I've barely been here. : Hope that's cool. Hey, it will hopefully make me be more present here this month! Yeah!

MMF, we rule, aww yeah.

Danile! Welcome back and CONGRATULATIONS!! On all of it! You are so rad. I feel like I am reaquainting myself with everyone again too...well, not in the same way but yo, it's been WEEKS.

Jess, Rowan had a "President Poopyhead" t-shirt that he wore for a looooong time. But he outgrew it and I can't afford a new shirt for him. Ah well. Soon.

I am about to go get ready for a birthday party I *don't* want to go to. It's for raisin-mama's second DD, who is one today. I don't want to hang out with the people at this party, but I am going...and going alone because I don't want to make Rowan (or DH, for that matter) go to a party that I don't even want to go to, and I'd rather not deal with Rowan's theatrics about parties right now. Haha.
So DH and Rowan are going to church (can't wait to hear how Rowan handles *that*! ) and I am going to the party. She guilted me into it, and well, I let myself be guilted. I DO remember her calling me from the hospital when her DD2 was first born, and I'm a little bit sappy about that. She is such a sweet little girl, too. So yeah. I'm a wussy wuss wuss, remember!

Elsanne, you rule the bellydancing, for real reals. I wish I could take classes with you! We're still trying to find something out here; the tribal dance class we were interested in (I think it was the one you helped me find!) is on hiatus. *sigh* So we're still looking. We took a "dance of life" class a month or so ago and while it was fun, it wasn't exactly what we were looking for.

Oh, and I gave my service last Sunday. I rocked it. It was fun! I am actually sorry to miss today's lay-led service; it's gonna be gospel music. Oh well. Obligations.

I'm gonna post this and go shower! Have a great day, and here's to a fabulous July! It's filled with family visits (my younger bro, I haven't seenhim since 2000!), birthdays (my best friend, and another old friend, and some babies!), and trips (NY for an AFI-fangirly fest , and HAWAII in late July! )...so it'll be Good Times.

Happy July everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Subscribing... if only to get to read Renae's awesome post! (Dude the gospel service sounds way better than the partay

I will admit that I gave up on belly dance... I couldn't convince any of my friends to try it with me, and I am too chickensh!t to do it all by myself (I really have two left feet and immobile hips, and I would feel like a freak if I didn't know anyone in the class). That, and I'm planning on doing master gardener coursework this fall, which will suck up all my free time. :, but I think MG may be a better fit than BD. I'm just not as out there, as oh, say... Elsanne. :

It's been pretty HOT here, which I refuse to complain about after last winter's super-snowy winter. Some church friends passed an awesome wading pool onto us (their grandkids are too old for it now)... it totally rocks compared to our ho-hum little one (it's bigger, it's inflatable). I kind of foresee an afternoon of the kids splashing while I weed, deadhead, water, compost, and occasionally pop myself into the pool.

I have to share this weirdness: I put some of the worm castings from our tiny worm bin onto some of my plants. I have a little potted petunia on the window sill above the sink in the kitchen. There are 2 very small bright YELLOW mushrooms growing up out of the pot now. What were those worms smoking?
#3 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 12:08 PM

'scribin'
#4 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 PM

questions for ya'll:

does anyone else's 3yo have an obsession with CHANGE and strewing it about the house? all over the floors and everywhere? i'm starting to hate change (otherwise known as 'poins') he gets it out of my wallet when i'mnot looking and then dh leaves it everywhere that he lies down and it falls out of his pockets : i want the change fairy to take it all away

and is spitting up out of the nostrils normal or should i worry? isaac never did that. (isaac hardly spit up at all). ebin is *really* spitty-uppy. like projectile spitty uppy. and i don't know at what point to worry

claudia - i haven't heard your message yet. if it is on our main phone i am verrry lazy about listening to messages on our answering machine because they are 90% telemarketer hangups....sorry! i'm totally up for a visit and would love to do it a day isaac is home (M, T, F?)

kk - that sounds much like our day yesterday. both boys actually napped at the same time and i pulled weeds, planted some flowers and spruced up my pots on my front steps. it was all VERY satisfying. and then we filled up the kiddie pool and just hung out in the backyard. a lovely summer day!! we also set up our new tent for a trial run and isaac wanted to sleep out there. i considered it but just couldn't cope when ebin got really fussy.

renae - i wish *i* was going to hawaii this month
#5 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 02:43 PM

yo mmf! nak again while i wait for breakfast. oh how i love weekends. sleeping in, breakfast made for me, and not just cereal in a bowl but pancakes or eggs or something yummy and warm. and yesterday there was coffee and i didn't have to mak it! woohoo!

jstar: friday sounds good! i'll call you again.

baby still hates the ak of nak... grrrr... i can read i just can't type.

~c
#6 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Happy July Mamas!

Welcome back Danile! and congrats on the new baby on the way!

Not much to add today, just wanted to give a shout out to my peeps!
#7 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 PM

why does it always crack me up to hear sherri type "shout out to my peeps!???!!!????? : :
#8 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 04:10 PM

erm, probably because I'm the least likely to say that IRL. Right heath? You crack me up for calling me on my lame-white-girl-ness.

Jess, I meant to address your question earlier. I wouldn't worry too much 'bout the spitup unless it seems to really bother ebin, like if he fusses alot prior to or after. Or if it seems as if he isn't gaining. Coming out the nose, though? Once or twice I would just watch it but if it happens more than that, I dunno, I'd probably put a call in just in case.
#9 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Sherri-- totally not you!! I'm getting a little about not getting to see you and your girlies at the beach this year!

Jess--sounds a little refluxy to me. And the out the nose stuff raises a little flag, but perhaps that's just because of my girls' history and concerns about palate etc. that we had w/ C. Do you have a check up coming up for him? If he's gaining/peeing/pooing fine and doesn't seem pained that's a good thing. C was a huge super dooper spitter for the longest time before (well even after too) I figured out my oversupply issues. She did a lot more of the projectile spitting from me overfeeding her. We did eventually treat her reflux at 18mos, but it was more of a laundry/carpet cleaning problem before then.

Isaac would have loved family night at our local pool. One of the activities involved scattering fistfulls of coins in the shallow end. Sounds tres annoying!

Renae---you keep making me want to go to one of your service's with you! We have some pretty interesting lay-led services coming up. May do a late August/early September or late September if I'm not too huge solo trip to CT/RI!! with the girlies. We will get together if that's the case! Hope the party was well at least offering some good food or beverage!

Lovely weather here today!! (sorry it's so hot there KK!) The MG sounds like fun!!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#10 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Sherri-- totally not you!! I'm getting a little about not getting to see you and your girlies at the beach this year!

!
Me too. I'm still kicking around the idea of coming up myself, but not sure. The girls have swimming lessons the first two weeks of August, so date-wise it may not happen. remind me again when you'll be there?
#11 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Hi! Welcome back, Danile!

Today: hot day, three year old's birthday party. we'll see how it goes.

not much to say!
#12 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Emmalola, let us know how the partay goes!

Wait a minute, kk, I'm out there? Ah-HA! Now, everything makes sense all of the sudden!

Danile, thanks for loving the name Amara, that makes me feel goooood. Especially because both girls boast that name (yes, we are that un-creative). Seriously! Sol's middle name is Amara, and Amara's middle name is Tiel. pronounced, like, Tea-ELLE.

Sherri, shouting out to us peeps, I suddenly feel small, yellow, fluffy and distinctly avian.
#13 of 281 Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, you know you love it; TWO posts from me in ONE DAY, baby!

Good to be back.

About the spitting-up-through-the-nose thing; Rowan used to do that when he was a teensy baby (which feels like 100 YEARS ago!) and when I asked my Dr. about it, he told me not to worry, as long as, like Sherri said, there isn't major fussing before or after. Rowan would just like, spit up, and it would sometimes come out of his nose. No big deal, from what I remember. BUT, if you feel the need to ask the ped., of COURSE I say go for it!

Well, when DH mentioned to Rowan that he was going to take him to church, Rowan freaked the out and cried for 15 min...until I told him that he could come with me to the birthday party instead, and he started to say no to that but then I said "look, church or the birthday party, those are the choices!" so he chose the birthday party. So DH said "well then, I guess I'm coming too" So we ALL went to the bday party! Rowan refused to leave DH's arms for maybe 5 min., and then all was well. I have NO IDEA what is up with the kid.
OH, and then after naptime, we went to the zoo (he had been asking to go since yesterday), and we ran into the ladies who run the child care at our church! Dude, get this: Rowan took one look at them and went RUNNING in the OTHER DIRECTION. : What the he!!???
When we caught up with him and passed them again (after I talked with them a bit about what was going on) one of them (the daughter-it's a mother-daughter who watch the kids) patted Rowan on the back as she passed and said goodbye...and Rowan SCREAMED and wailed and dude, I have NO IDEA what is going on!!

I have absolutely NO thought that anything could have "happened" at the child care; the women seem to ADORE Rowan and the other kids, and they all seem to adore them...except Rowan. The daughter was away for about 10 weeks when she had her own DS, and the extreme fear started when she got back. But mamas, it's EXTREME. I dunno what the heck to do about it. *sigh*

Oh yeah, the birthday party. It was actually kind of nice. I mean, I barely talked to raisin-mama and Rowan avoided her beastly DD1, so maybe that had something to do with it. It was SOOOOO ritzy, with little mini-frittatas and mimosas and bloody marys and bagels, lox, herring in cream sauce () and yeah...cr-azee. I felt out of my league but whatever.

Oh, KK, Master Gardener sounds so totally rad. I get really shy about attending classes alone where I don't know anyone, too. Which is why I really want to find a bellydance class with my friend M! Hopefully we'll find something soon.

Okay, I am off to eat some frozen soy coconutty stuff. Or maybe that Hershey bar with almonds I have sitting on the counter. Oh yeah. Maybe both!

Have a good night, mamas!

p.s. OH YEAH! My wings are FINISHED!!! I will post pics on the YG soon. I love them SO freakin' much!

p.s. cross-posting with Elsanne, baby! I love peeps (real baby peepy chicks and the yellow sugared ones that i can't eat anymore because of the gelatin. Oh well). That is all.
#14 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 12:02 AM

just subscribing for now...
#15 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 AM

Checking in for the first time in what feels like months! Summer schedules with the three little ones : and my computer started freezing up all the time, (they call it 'panicking' which I LOVE) so it went on a weeklong vacation, during which the logic board was replaced. I finally got it back and ... it's still doing it. Trés frustrating.

Yay for Renae's return It sounds like Rowan is just resisting transitions? Allison has recently started fussing at dropoff for day camp - if I drop her off, she cries for Daddy and if he drops her off she cries for me. Once we get her out of the car, she's fine. I think it's a little easier for her because she has Caitlyn to follow, but I remember this age being really difficult for Caitlyn, with regard to transitions. I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to make it easier for her. Egads I am rambling. Here's a which is what I was trying to convey in the first place.

KK nice avatar and you can hag me anytime.

jstar we don't have a 'poin' obsession but that is frightfully cute (and irritating, I'm sure). What we do have is a need to discuss at length every single happening of the day. "Mommy, are you take a shower? Mommy, are you in the shower? Mommy, are you wet? Mommy, are you done? Mommy, are you getting out? Mommy, did you take a shower?" And on and on and on... my new line, when she asks me WHY just about anything, is "Just so we'd have something to talk about" which at least makes me laugh instead of want to strangle her.

Ethan did a little nose-spitting when he was tiny, but it was just a couple of times. I'd probably have gotten it checked out if it were frequent, or if it seemed to bother him.

I'd say more but I'm having the nak trouble too, so I leave you with a peep peep here and a peep peep there...
#16 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM

I need my logic board replaced.
#17 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
I need my logic board replaced.
: :

(i really wanted evil kah-kah-kah-kah laughing guy, but i'm too lazy to open the smilie window to find him and i don't know the smilie code.)

~claudia
#18 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 PM

laughup

That one TC? I did that for my peeps y'know! :
#19 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM

stop with the peeps! I'm imagining a big mmf! gathering as a bunch of marshmallowy mamas!

E worse, not better from the weekend puke bug or whatever it is. Dr's office being annoying and making me wait for a nurse to call back and "triage" before we can get an appt. : I'm thinking uti or just another viral buggy. poor babe. C good so far, but knowing our luck she'll be down by the end of the week.

:

logic board? Can I get one of those for DH??

#20 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Just posting to say it's uh... rather warm here. We're definitely doing the Spanish thing--it's siesta time for the kiddos, and they're staying up about an hour later than they do during the "school year".
#21 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 PM

it is easy for me to read and hard for me to post since i can't nak yet.

claudia - friday works great

juice - the running discussion sounds funny

the spitup thing. it has only come out of the nose once which was pretty alarming. but i was wondering about reflux too. i'm not sure how you tell reflux from just overfull belly pains. i have a serious oversupply problem. he doesn't really feed all that often and then if he does drain a boob it is guaranteed spitup time. if he doesn't nurse that much (or if i cut him off) then i have sore boobies. i'm trying to figure out what the best approach is. isaac just drank and drank and drank and well....weighted a million pounds and was a big blob. ebin is growing and gaining but he gets really fussy if he's overfed (in hindsight isaac was super fussy...he just wasn't a spitter-upper so i dont' think i realized i was probably overfeeding him). i have been only feeding one boob at a time but then it ends up being 4 or 5 hours until the other boob gets drained and it is massively PAINFUL. so now i'm just trying to get him to take the top off each boob so neither of them hurts and trying to cut him off at some point where he gets fed but before he's comfort sucking. i'm also trying to keep him upright more for a long time after feedings.

my mom got to see the craziness that is isaac after 9pm last night. and we talked about it and she thinks his change from 5 days a week to 2 days a week at school is probably as big of a 'transition' problem for him as getting a baby brother. and i think she's right. it is like all our routines are shot around here the daycare director said i should wait a month to change to 2 days and i didn't listen to her. and now i think...'oh maybe she knows a thing or 2 about kids!' duh *slaps forehead*

renae - that's wierd about the church ladies. can you go in and spend time with him in the kid area and see if he can get comfortable again?
#22 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM

jstar--it took about a week of putting up w/ super sore boobs for my oversupply to calm down. we also instituted a pacifier/pinky sucking for comfort sucking until it calmed down and she gave that up at 4mos and things were much better by then.

#23 of 281 Old 07-02-2007, 11:47 PM

i've been doing the pinkie sucking once i pull him off. i just started that maybe a week ago. and i'm trying the binkie but he is not really into it. he'll suck on it for about 10 seconds and let it drop. doug can get him to take it for a little while. so hopefully the boobs will get the message!!!
#24 of 281 Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 AM

Speaking of sore boobies: one of the cracks/bites/sore spots on one of my nipples (from L teething) had a little pus in it yesterday... EEK!! I am semi-freaked out and trying extra hard to get them to heal (I have two spots/nipple). Lots of Mama airing the boobies.

Jess, T was a bit of a nut in his transition to brother, too. How's Isaac napping? I don't know if this applies to Isaac, but if T had a crappy nap at that stage, the rest of the day was basically shot. After we had Z (and after we got a clue or 2), we realized that T's routine was THE MOST IMPORTANT THING in the whole world. (He's *still* a creature of habit.) Once we got back into his groove, things settled down a little bit.

Speaking of T, he had his WCC today. Dudes--he's 50 lbs! How could I have produced a person who weighs 50 lbs and who is going to be a first grader? (He was also 49", I believe.) I am a-ged.

The peeps thing *is* kind of funny (both Sherri saying it and the marshmallow vision).

Juice, what's *your* summer schedule with 3 little ones? Mine is just go, go, go (hey, one for each!).

Is it only a month till we get the next baby (Jacquie)? When can we start stalking you?

I hope the kids went easy on the mimosas and bloody marys. Maybe it's just me, but one of my pet peeves is kid b-day parties which are really for adults. (Ie, Prude KK says: No alcohol at children's b-day parties!)

I'll admit that part of the reason I don't want to go to a BD class without a friend is that I'm a little scared... the last time I tried a dance class, it was not long after my brother died. I don't know what it was about the class (I think it just reminded me of my brother, who really liked to dance), but I totally and completely fell apart (and my friend saved me). It's been several years, but part of me is afraid of something like that happening again... (Renae, I wouldn't feel shy about MG, though, because that's me, in my element, whereas dancing is me in my bro's element.) Wanna see the wings!!

Oh yeah--Renae, we went through this crazy thing in our old church with T and the childcare where he wouldn't set foot down the RE hallway after a Sunday where he had cried a lot. (But she was a mean lady and they fired her because they finally figured that out.) Could you or your dh go with him some Sunday and try to make him feel at ease?

I'm supah sweaty because I just spent 2 hrs staining the playset. (I have little random brown spots, too... hmmm... maybe I'll use it as an instant tanner.) I feel productive enough to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm with dh and eat leftover pineapple upside-down cake.
#25 of 281 Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 AM

It's way too late to be cracking up laughing, so ya'll are responsible if my family wakes up! Gotta get this post in before W wakes up for his every other hour nursing (where did my good sleeper go???)

On the bright side, I've figured out W's reflux/ fussy tummy thing. It's milk related. (Hooray for something easy!). I can eat cheese and yogurt and butter, I just can't drink straight milk (oh, silly jokes are going through my mind, but too tired to put one together) or eat ice cream. The other day I forgot that a steamer was made of mostly milk (duh!) and ordered one, and W broke out in a rash and was fussy all afternoon. Did I mention that W's weight/height are doing great? Hooray for W!

Jstar- W had the through- the- nose thing, but not all the time. It did bug him. He outgrew it.

Renae- I'm totally with you on the crazy preschooler behavior. Suddenly, anyone the least bit unfamiliar is "scary." We had to stand on the corner for _10 minutes_ today because he refused to walk past this lady on the sidewalk. Not until the bus came and took her away would he continue on to the park. I could have picked him up, but it's kinda hard with a baby and a diaper bag. On the way home, he refused to leave the park because a mama and her little baby were too close to the path. I gave up and picked him up. Don't even get me going about our "scary" neighbor or the "scary" repair guy.

ok, as much fun as it is to hang out with all of you, I SERIOUSLY need to go to bed. Nighty night!

Mom to ds1 (ASD) born 2004 and ds2 born 2007
#26 of 281 Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Nice to know that my kiddo isn't the only one having anxiety. Haha.
I sometimes worry that Rowan will be MORE anxious than most kids because, ahem, his mama is a pretty high-strung freakzoid. :

KK, I totally get you about the dance class And how the MG thing is WAY more your element and therefore something you're totally comfortable doing! I mean, heck, dancing is my element but I'd still prefer to go WITH someone to a class rather than on my own!

Peeeeps! Don't you all know my obsession with peeps (the little marshmallow ones)? I guess it goes with chickens, roosters, etc., I love me some farm fowl! There are roosters all over my kitchen. I'm drinking my coffee out of a mug with a rooster painted on it. When I was at the tattoo shop Saturday there was a girl with a rooster tattooed on her foot and I gushed about it to her for a while. I do love roosters.
And Rowan has a couple baby chick stuffed toys...one of which was totally mine, and I had it before he was even born! : I'm a dork indeed.
I'm just sad I can't eat the Peeps anymore...gelatin.
My friend and I put Peeps into the microwave way back when just to see 'em puff up.
Yeah. It's how I roll.

ANYWAY! Church stuff...well, last time I tried even sitting in the kids' room with him, he wailed the WHOLE TIME. We kinda figured it was a reaction to the daughter half of the group, who went away for a while to have a baby. So even if she's in the same room (or space--remember, this happened outside at the zoo) he FREAKS OUT.
We're not sure what to do, other than having one of us stay home from church and the other go, or skipping church altogether unless we HAVE to be there. *sigh* I hate it but I'm at a loss...I actually have a church meeting tonight (worship committee) and I may talk to someone there tonight, just to get it off my chest and let them know that we're not skipping church because we WANT to! We'll see.

It's actually gorgeous today, no humidity, lots of sun...so we're going to our big park today, which Rowan calls the "Potato-head park", because of the BIG Mr. Potato Head statue that greets you when you get there (funny, he's not scared of THAT! ) Hasbro, the big toy company, is based here in RI so this whole park has reminders of who ownz it. There's a Candyland trail and Mr Potato Head, and maybe a couple other things.

But right now Rowan is still in his pajamas and I am still futzing around on the computer, eating breakfast and drinking coffee. I need this hour, man. I even let Rowan watch obscene amounts of Blue's Clues so I can get that hour. :
It's gotten to the point that I am actually a bigger Joe fan than Steve! Who knew? Dh says he wants to bust out all his old tapes of the Smurfs (OMG! Remember that show???) because he figures it can't get much worse than Blue or Dragon Tales, and Rowan plays with all DH's old Smurf figurines anyway. He's probably right.

OMG, oops, am I discussing TV on MDC?? Be still my beating...ah heck, I really don't care. Bring it.

In more MDC-friendly stuff, we're looking into Enki Education. When I can find a link I will share it. Wait:
http://www.enkieducation.org/

There we go. I'm still barely familiar with it but I went to a meeting about starting a school here a few weeks ago and a good friend of mine is getting more brainstorming meetings together so I am working towards it. We'll see how it works out. I kinda feel like I've hardly done ANYTHING "educational" with my kid in AGES...but then again, it's summer and hey, he learns through play, yes? Yes.

I will end this novel now. You know, you all might have been better off when I was posting less, because now I'm making it hard to keep up!

Have a great day, mamas!
#27 of 281 Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 AM

You ARE making it hard to keep up Renae but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Doing a drive-by post here because girls need me and coffee's kickin in!
#28 of 281 Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM

fiddle: it was nice to talk with you yesterday! and on your yg post from last night about the family drama and your peace with it.

renae: enki... hmmm... i know nothing about it, other than i think there is a school locally that teaches in that style. i need me the morning hour, too, complete with both boys watching dragon tales and clifford, but big, big world is "scary" so we can't watch that anymore... ay yi yi...

kk: that is so interesting about the dancing and the crying breakdown. i'm inclined to say go with it and let your body do some healing, but i would totally be anxious about it. have you ever thought about craniosacral therapy for yourself? that might help you resolve some of the stuff with your body remembering your brother's passing... there is a psychic and teacher named sonia choquette who i love who is all about letting the spirit move you through moving your body and making music with your voice and it really is amazing what the right rhythm and the right songs have helped me feel comfortable with feeling. that doesn't make any sense at all, probably...

sherri: shout out to my peeps!

need breakfast now...

~claudia
#29 of 281 Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 PM

How's E doing today, Heather?

eta: For some reason I can't read your blog. All your posts/pics are waaaay over on the right side of my screen, and I can't scroll over to read them.
#30 of 281 Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Sherri---hmmm...maybe I'll have to undo the new layout?? E seems a lot better and more herself today so maybe it was just (another!) GI bug. Let's hope she doesn't keep w/ the pattern of getting one 1x a month--yucko!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page