Monkeybars at what age? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5 year old dd is just entranced with monkey bars and has been for at least a year now. She can't hold on for more then 2 bars tops though so it gets very frustrating quickly for all of us. We know she has some hand related issues, but during her speech evaluation the lady doing the evaluation thought they were just minor OT things. Another post about playgrounds reminded me of the monkey bar thing. How old were your child(ren) when they could manage the monkey bars alone.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#2 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 06:41 PM

This past year, at kindergarten recess, my son finally mastered crossing completely without "dropping". He is now obsessed with them! (he's 6.5)
#3 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 PM

My son is 4.5 and can do about 4 bars before jumping off. He doesn't have much opportunity to practice, though.
#4 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM

ds is a monkey.really, I'm quite sure he is... mostly moneky. He started attempting the monkey bars around 2... now at 4 he has them mastered and he can do them alone.
#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 08:43 PM

My 5yo can do an entire set, including the ones with different heights. He has just mastered it in the past 6 months.

I remember that the monkey bar set was a "required" skill in my Kindergarten PE class if you wanted to pass. I remember it being a real struggle, and I wasn't the only one who had trouble with it. Ugh. Bad memories :P

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#6 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_mommy View Post
I remember that the monkey bar set was a "required" skill in my Kindergarten PE class if you wanted to pass. I remember it being a real struggle, and I wasn't the only one who had trouble with it. Ugh. Bad memories :P
This was required? Luckily not at my school or Kindergarten, I remember I was able to do them for about a week or so for some reason, since then never again!
#7 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

I would have flunked out of kindergarten, because at 27 I still can't do the damn monkey bars :
#8 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 PM

I have 5 kids @ home & they all approached them differently. My girls now 4..... my bella can do them like a monkey { i swear she is one} she started around 2 and WOW she jsut loved them & every chance she gets she will play on them, my other 4 yr old can't do them at all. She will hold the first bar & after 5 secs of her weight on them she drops. My 6 yr old son who has special needs can do about 2-3 bars. My older kids 9&10 were both doing them well around 7 or so.I can't recall exactly how they started, to many years have gone by.
#9 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 PM

DD2 have trouble with the monkey bars, she's 3 and she just stays hanging on one and then falls down, while DD1 is 5 and she's a little monkey, and just like threebeans I can't do the monkey bars

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page