Little boys with mohawks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We went to the beach last weekend. I saw a boy who couldn't have been older than five with a mohawk. He was the fourth boy who I have seen recently with a mohawk. In all cases, the parents looked pretty conventional. Why are little boys getting mohawks now? I thought that they went out of style in the '80's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 AM

Several of my friends have given their boys mohawks (ages 2-8), and my oldest son (now 11) had one at age 7 for a few weeks. My DH is constantly trying to give my 16 mo ds one when he has sunscreen in his hair. I think it is just parents trying to relive their youth through the children (at least that is my DH's reason). I think it is pretty cute but I tend to let my kids do what they will with their hair.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmoore View Post
I think it is just parents trying to relive their youth through the children (at least that is my DH's reason). I think it is pretty cute but I tend to let my kids do what they will with their hair.
Ouch.
My kids just got mohawks a few weeks ago. The youngest wanted one, and older brother came in while we were finishing so he decided he wanted one, too.

I tend to let my kids do what they want with their hair, too. To imply that I'm just trying to relive my youth because of a hairstyle my kids have is insulting.

They've been becoming more popular lately - two chefs on Top Chef (m and f) have mohawks and we frequently see pics of toddlers/young kids with fauxhawks.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 AM

Its all about individuality.
The less people have something.. the more IN it is!

I'd totally let my little boy have one.
If I had a little boy that is...

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 AM

I think it's adowable.:
Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 AM

Love 'em. I'd love to see my boy in one, but he's all about "fuzzy hair", which means the shortest crewcut I can give him without clipping his scalp with the trimmers.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
I think it's adowable.:
me too and yeah its just hair.. my hair was every color possible as a teenager and my son will be able to pick his hair color/style too

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
Old 07-12-2007, 01:44 AM

I was wondering about the mohawks too. Seen tons of them in the Boston suburbs in the past few weeks and mostly on the 3 to 7 year old crowd. Don't watch tv but I assumed it was something media related in that age group. Don't think those boys are Top Chef devotees...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 AM

It's just hair. Insert any other hairstyle in there and see how it sounds...big deal.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 AM

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Old 07-12-2007, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
Don't let people like that get under your skin. Just make your own off screen face, and don't let them bait you. :yawning:
That should be in the User Agreement.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I call it Maddox Jolie-Pitt syndrome.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 AM

I wish one of my sons would go for that or decide to grow his hair out. They have very short, conventional haircuts and my 6 year old, who is very methodical, would never significantly alter his hair at this point b/c it would disturb him. I love the mohawks and shaggy hair and such. And my Mom would never let me do what I wanted to do with my own appearance so I would never control my kids' bodies as strictly as she did. Maybe they'll change their minds when they're older...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM

Im actually struggling with this. I think its adorable and really want to do it with ds1's hair. He is 4 and hates his hair washed so it would be less hair to wash and its Florida so it would be cooler... but he HATES his haircut and screams bloody murder when we try to cut his hair.. I used to spike his hair and he would let me do that, so Im sure he would let me do up a mohawk.. but because he doesnt want his hair cut, should I just let it grow? I mean I hate the idea of it getting any longer than it is (its grown over his ears already because we DREAD cutting it because of his screaming) because I fear washing it. Washing his hair is a nightmare lol.. Luckily, he doesnt ever really get tooooo dirty. he plays in the water most of the day and isnt a sand type kid.. so we wash his hair about twice a week. DH is talking about before we move just going ahead and cutting it and creating a mohawk on ds.. a veyr short one so its not much upkeep.. I dont know!!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:31 AM

My oldest ds (7) just got one last Saturday.... he had been talking about it for awhile so we let him get it done.... it's only hair

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM

My 7 year old son was begging for one, I would have said yes (what the heck, it's summer.) But DH vetoed it.

No, it has nothing to do with the parents (unless the kid is 3 or something).

Usually the children are asking for it.

On crazy hair days (schools, camps) some kids give themselves mohawks - that's where they see it.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM

My 6 and 3yr. olds have mohawks right now. DS1 had one last summer for a bit too. He asked for one, so I said okay. I think they look super cute! My dh does not like them at all! He's much more conservative than I am when it comes to things like that though. I figure, its only hair and its summer anyway... plus like I said they look super cute!

ETA: My younger one wanted one to be like big brother!

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 AM

I used to beg when I was little (in the mid-late 80s, after they were out of style) to get one... If either of my kids asked, he/she would have one, although I would shed a tear for his sweet sweet long hair (dd doesn't have much yet). I think that is the big difference, our generation wanted 'hawks but were not allowed to get them, but now that we are parents, our kids can do it, the stigma is gone.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM

I think in some circles of parents they follow what the Stars are doing with thier kids hair..

Angelina Joilie always has her son Maddox's hair in a mohawk cut and Brad Pitt was sporting one back in April..dont know if he still has it or not..

Some kids ask for them and some parents think they look adorable..

If my son wants one one day he can have one.. I cant say no because his dad has long hair down to his butt..
Its just hair and will grow back anyway
Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My son has had one for over 2 years now. It is his preffered haircut now. It was totally all my idea when he was 1 and needed a first haircut.... he matched me and my pink hair better It was just sooooooo cute! And so, it has stayed. I think maybe 2 times in the last 2 years we have cut it off and both times we regretted it and missed it and so it came back.

It is just another hairstyle. No different than giving a kid a bowl cut or military haircut or whatever other style the parents think looks the best.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM

When my daughter was wee, we always used to give her one with sunscreen - she had such fine hair, and always ditched hats, so it was the perfect way to protect her scalp in the summer!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM

I think its 'as much about the parents' for a toddler, as any other haircut, really.
Did your (1-2yr) toddler tell you to cut her bangs short or keep her hair curly? Etc.
Up until kids pick their own clothes (and some tots have preferences) we're choosing what we want to put on our children.

I wanted to give DS a 'conservative' mohawk, once he was of walking age - but couldn't cut his curls.
I recently cut his curls, due to the heat, and he's a spitting image of Dorothy Hamil. Also, his heads too round for a mohawk.

But, to you moms with boys (or girls ) with mohawks, rock on.

Edit: And, if my child ever asked for any haircut - he's more than welcome to have it. Even if he wanted to buzz it short and put a nike symbol in the back... I'd probably die laughing, but hey - its his body.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:13 PM

Alright, being well aware of the fact that I might be the only one with this opinion on this board I still give my unwanted 2 cents: Seeing little kids with dyed hair, mohawks or camo clothes makes my toenails roll up. And I don't have a problem with being conservative in some ways. I do not even give my kids buzzcuts, I like them to have hair on their skull.
What will I do if they ask for it at some point? I will clench my teeth and try to talk them out of it but in the end I do realize I gotta pick my battles and there's worse things in life.
I think one should keep two things separate: does you kid ask to look that way or are you just doing it to him because you think it looks cool. That's probably what one of the pp wanted to say when she got flamed and picked on immediately for voicing her more of a conservative opinion.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:13 PM

My 4.5 yr. old wants one because his dad has one (and my husband has dreads-- we're pretty hip parents). I said no because I don't want to put any product in his hair and it wouldn't stick up without it.
Unless anyone has tips for a chemical-free spiky mohawk?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
Unless anyone has tips for a chemical-free spiky mohawk?
Egg whites or plain gelatin.
Seriously, though. Wet hair, comb in, and blow dry while holding cardboard against the other side.

A little tip I had given to me the first day the boys went out in public with their 'hawks.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:54 PM

this is actually going to be ds' first hair cut...i figure i have to do something cool for all the lame matchy matchy outfits i've put him in!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
I call it Maddox Jolie-Pitt syndrome.
:
Old 07-12-2007, 06:08 PM

DS (age 4 right now) has had a mohawk on and off for over a year now. Right now it's bright green! I love it and he loves the attention that he gets from kids and adults alike. (I like it because it drives my mom and mil nuts maybe not the best reason to have one but that's my reason) If you were to see me, I think I look very conventional and my dds do too.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
Even if he wanted to buzz it short and put a nike symbol in the back... I'd probably die laughing, but hey - its his body.
:

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)

User Tag List