Sister leaving 2 little ones for 3 weeks!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 176 Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just HAVE to post this....to vent or whatever! I just cannot fathom doing this myself!!

My sister is 23 and has a 3 yr old son and 18 mo. dd. It seems like my sister and brother-in-law wanted kids early and now that they have them, they're too immature to quit acting like dumb kids and like a real Mommy and Daddy. I don't know...

My brother-in-law is in Korea for one year and my sister is leaving on the 24th to go visit him for two weeks. She's going to leave her two kids with his parents!! The worst part is, to make the "drop-off" easier, she's taking them to meet her father-in-law 4 days early so that it falls on the weekend! So now by the time they are there for 4 days, my sister is in Korea for two weeks and gets back to get them, the kids will be at their grandparents house for 3 weeks w/o Mommy or Daddy!!! I just cannot fathom doing this to my kids! 3 weeks is WAY too long! My nephew--3 yo-- had a VERY rough time with the transition to his Daddy being gone when he went to Korea in May. He's been acting up like crazy lately and I don't think my sister knows how to deal with him or discipline him lovingly so I think he's running amuck and I'm afraid for what this three week separation is going to do to him now! The kids are not going to be able to understand that in 21 days Mommy will be back...that she just went on a long vacation without them!!

Also, this was their first week in a brand new day care full-time instead of part-time...don't even get me started on this issue!! My sister goes to school every morning from 8-11 or 12 so the kids were in daycare for the mornings after their Daddy left. Now she switched them to a different day care for all day so that she can have more time to do whatever...she's a massage therapist and wants to build her clientell...but also now she can go to the gym by herself, go grocery shopping by herself, etc. etc. It just seems so crazily selfish to me! I just could not do it! I'm not trying to undermine the hardship she is going thru, with her hubbie deployed for a year, basically being a single parent for a whole year, etc...but it seems to me there has got to be other ways to deal with it and get some "alone" time to keep her sanity. It just makes me feel like she is NOT ready to drop her own priorities to be a M-O-M-M-Y. It seems so selfish and immature to me!

I just really feel that it is my calling to be a Mom and that being one is THE single most important job on the earth! I am willing to forsake myself for my kids' comfort, etc. She's just not doing that and I can't see where she's coming from.

I should stop now...what do you all think?? I'm sad for my nephew and niece!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 AM

So it's somehow better for the kids to be picked up from daycare where they are playing with other kids and having fun so they can go grocery shopping with their mom or hang out watching the tube or whatever while she works with a client? I understand that you're saying you're upset for your neice and nephew but it sounds to me like something else is going on for you to be so angry about this. The situation you describe just doesn't really sound like the end of the world to me.
#3 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It just seems so crazily selfish to me!
It sounds like her way of coping to me. Full time daycare is not something I would use, but I certainly call in help when dh is out of town or working more than usual. I can't imagine how much it would suck if he were away for a year.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 01:25 AM

I think everyone parents differently. I try not to say which is better or worse, just that there are different styles that work for different families.
#5 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 01:27 AM

poor babies. 3 weeks is so long, too long, especially in their age.
#6 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Boy's Mama View Post
So it's somehow better for the kids to be picked up from daycare where they are playing with other kids and having fun so they can go grocery shopping with their mom .
am i the only one to think that grocery shopping with a parent, being included and part of the family, is more valuable and a better confidence builder, than playing in an institutional setting? we have fun grocery shopping together! most of the time.
#7 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post
am i the only one to think that grocery shopping with a parent, being included and part of the family, is more valuable and a better confidence builder, than playing in an institutional setting? we have fun grocery shopping together! most of the time.
No you're not the only one Grocery shopping is something we always do as a family. I don't really care what the activity is, most kids, I think, would prefer to be with their parent over a childcare center. I'm not going to pass judgment on your sister, OP, because I'm sure she is going through a very challenging time, but I think I would feel as frustrated as you do.
#8 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 AM

OP, I'm curious...what help have you offered her during this difficult time?
#9 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 03:02 AM

Wow, three weeks is an awefully long time, but I'd give her credit for bringing the kids to her IL's a few days in advance of the trip to get the "acclimated". She's still there if they (the children or the IL's) really need her to get through those first few rough days. I just hope she calls them every few days to remind them that she'll be back soon. I remember vividly going on a two-week vacation with my dd sans Papa when she was 18 months - from her behavior I think she thought we weren't ever going home again and she missed her Papa terribly. We tried calling him, but kept missing him and I didn't want to put a strain on my brother's phone bill by making over-seas phone calls every day. DD did finally adjust, but when we finally got home, she looked unhappy to be on the move again and then it clicked with her. She recognized our home and Papa came running to the door to greet her. She was sooooooo happy. Her world was whole again.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#10 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 03:16 AM

If her and dh really need this time together I think it is actually a good idea. For many kids having mom/dad in a positive, healthy relationship is a huge benefit. I think the trip could help the parents' relationship. Two or three weeks in the course of one year is not much time to spend with dh.

I actually think the trip may be a great thing. The kids are also with grandma/grandpa, she didn't abandon them!
#11 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 AM

At a guess, I think it sounds as if she's making the choices that she thinks will benefit her family best. If seeing her husband for two weeks in a year might make their marriage stronger, then it might well be in the best interest of her kids.

If building her business brings in more money to her family or supports her own career and brings her happiness, then it's probably also in the best interest of her kids.

And if it's true that she's immature or not entirely ready to be mom, it sounds as if enrolling her children in a day care or including the support of her in-laws is probably also in the children's best interest.
#12 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 AM

WHAT?!?!?!?
I can't believe you're getting so many "whatever" responses.:
My son is 15 months and I'm going to be the only one staying at a hotel all night with the baby while everyone else in dh's family goes out in the city....because I won't leave him even for 4 hours to have fun. We'll have fun just the two of us. (I tried to leave him with my mom for two hours and he's just not ready.) I can't imagine three weeks. And full time day care......okay.
I think you're right to be heart broken for those babies.
#13 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 AM

I really think it is important to take into account the fact that your sister is dealing with a spouse who is deployed for 12 months. Korea is not a combat zone etc but it isn't a "fun" place to be deployed. (my brother was deployed in Korea) So many marriages break up or hit rough spots over year long deployments that I think it is a good thing that she is using some resources to focus on her marriage. How is that bad for the kids in the long run?

Leaving your children for 3 weeks on a whim for a "vacation" is IMO a completely different beast than leaving them to go visit your dh/their father. Dealing with a spouse being GONE is a difficult experience that may cause people to do things they otherwise wouldn't consider. I also think lightening up on her using daycare full time is in order. She is going to school, dealing with her husband being gone, spending at least some time working on a business, maybe the time off helps her be a better mama and more "on" when she is with her kids.

I would worry about how she is handling her son's separation issues, discipline etc because I think those things would be really hard for anyone to deal with. She may just be a woman who feels a little overwhelmed. Not everybody can be superwoman and that doesn't make her a bad person or bad mother. I guess I would need a little more insight into exactly what is wrong with this situation before I would be willing to say there is a problem.
#14 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 04:08 AM

Would you prefer she take these two kids with her to Korea? (international travel involves ALL kinds of fun stuff - passports for both kids, both kids would be required to have ticketed seats, so that just tripled the cost of the flight, not to mention the stress of 2 small kids on a flight that long by herself...)

IMO, I don't see what she's doing is wrong or bad, and my heart is NOT breaking for her kids. They get to spend 3 fun weeks with Grandma and Grandpa!!!

To be honest, if my husband were sent to Korea for a year, I'd be leaving my kids with their grandparents so I could visit him, too.

It sounds to me like you have no concept of what it's really like to have your spouse deployed for a year, and left to manage 2 kids on your own. You don't feel comfortable with married couples, cause your partner isn't with you, and you're not welcome amongst single parents because you have the audacity to still be married...never mind that you have this constant nagging fear in the back of your mind that you may never see your spouse alive again, and how would you explain to your kids that their mommy/daddy is never coming home?

IMO, if you're sad about your niece/nephew staying with their grandparents for 3 weeks, offer to watch them for a week - or just butt out.

ETA: Korea is not an official combat zone, but it is considered a hardship/dangerous tour, which is why families aren't allowed to accompany their soldiers there. Not "officially" a war zone, but close enough that I don't want my kids near a military base there.
#15 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
WHAT?!?!?!?
I can't believe you're getting so many "whatever" responses.:
My son is 15 months and I'm going to be the only one staying at a hotel all night with the baby while everyone else in dh's family goes out in the city....because I won't leave him even for 4 hours to have fun. We'll have fun just the two of us. (I tried to leave him with my mom for two hours and he's just not ready.) I can't imagine three weeks. And full time day care......okay.
I think you're right to be heart broken for those babies.
But that's you. That doesn't mean what she's doing is wrong or amounts to being a bad parent or neglected children in need of someone's breaking heart.

When DS was just turning 2 years old he and BF took a week long trip with BF's parents and sister, BIL and their kids. DS had finished nursing and I didn't go because I needed some time alone, didn't have any desire to go to Hilton Head (gag) and I knew how much fun BF and DS would have with everyone. DS had so much fun and didn't miss me at all, despite never being away from me before. But he was with family and in capable and loving hands.

And then at almost 5 BF and I were offered an all expense once in a life time 2 week trip to Paris. After some hemming and hawing we took the trip and DS stayed with my parents. And again he LOVED it. He still glows when he talks about it two years later. He was with people who adore him and engage him and honour who he is - and these aren't people who live near by either. But man that kid and my parents are so bonded. We didn't talk every day - that just wasn't practical or needed. And just in case this needs to be said, DS is and has always been wonderfully attached. He was still co-sleeping during both times away from me. The first time he co-slept with BF (his dad) and while BF and I were in France he co-slept with my parents. He's turning 7 and still carried while we're out, usually by piggy back but often carried in my arms. He feels loved and secure.

Neither times were myself or BF neglecting to be parents. And when he decided to add DS to our lives it wasn't to drop everything and be M-O-M-M-Y and D-A-D-D-Y and in fact as the mother of a son it's even more important to me that DS not see me as someone who put her whole life on hold to parent him, without accepting help from family, friends and community, and to the detriment of myself and exclusion of my needs. Too many men in our culture have been raised to believe it is a woman's job to put his needs first and I don't feel the need to perpetuate that. That's not healthy or balanced. But living consensually is really important to us and that means we all work together to make sure we're all getting what we need.

It sounds like your niece and nephew are getting what they need and are surrounded by loving caregivers and family. What's heartbreaking about that? Having worked in shelters I can tell you a lot of heartbreaking stories; a story about children staying with loving grandparents and who attend day care while their mom works on her schooling and business isn't one of them.
#16 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 AM

If she were my sister, I think I would try to cut her some slack. Granted, 3 weeks is a long time, but if it helps her marriage... I have always read that in a healthy family, the spouses take care of the marriage first, then the children. DH and I left Zoey with my parents for a week when she was 3. It was harder on my parents than on her. However, if the grandparents are up to taking care of little ones for that long - the spoiling may be good for both sides. And what an opportunity for the grandparents and grandkids to get to know each other!!

As for the daycare, as long as it is a good program, the kids may love going. Of course they will miss mom, but the lure of good activities and toys that they probably don't have at home will make daycare pretty enticing to the little ones. The structure of an organized program may also be very beneficial to your nephew. Considering his dad left and his mom has an unpredictable schedule, structure may be a good thing right now.

As for taking the kids to day care instead of grocery shopping, keep in mind - it's grocery shopping! She is not out partying, but taking care of her family's needs. Sure the kids will have to learn how to behave when they are out and about with mom, but they can start learning that on shorter trips, like when she has to make a quick run for milk or bread on Sunday evening. If mom can get her chores done while the kids are at daycare, she may well be more apt to do something like take the kids to the park or the movies. Considering that mom is, for all intents and purposes, a single mom right now, I think daycare might be a reasonable option to help her lessen her stressload.

Paula
#17 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 AM

why can't the kids go with her? i sorry it's late so i may have missed the reason but i think i would be bending over backwards to make sure it was a "family trip"... i'm not going to give you a whatever response b/c i would be upset...those poor babies...i know it has to be a hard thing to deal with but maybe i'm tainted by all the stories of dads deployed and mom ships the kids off to daycare and has an affair (happened to several of my guy friends) i would think that she would want to spend extra time w/her kids to make up for dad being gone...this is just my sleepy rambling but i think the kids (wow they are still REALLY young) would need mommy more than ever...
#18 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
why can't the kids go with her? i sorry it's late so i may have missed the reason but i think i would be bending over backwards to make sure it was a "family trip"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie
ETA: Korea is not an official combat zone, but it is considered a hardship/dangerous tour, which is why families aren't allowed to accompany their soldiers there. Not "officially" a war zone, but close enough that I don't want my kids near a military base there.

Quote:
...this is just my sleepy rambling but i think the kids (wow they are still REALLY young) would need mommy more than ever...
They have their mom. Kids in day care are not parent-less. They are not abandoned or unloved or neglected and they make up the majority of kids in North America. And while their mom is planning to be away they will be with family. Family who love them and know how to take care of them and will most likely cherish the time they have with them. This idea that kids can't be away from their mom and in the care of other trusted, loving, competent and loved (by the kids) caregivers is unhealthy and puts too big a burden on mothers. For a variety of reasons moms aren't always or can't always be with their kids 24/7 and instead of damning them maybe we need to look at how to support them.

Kaydee asked an important question up thread and I hope the OP comes back to answer it.
#19 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 AM

She is coming to Korea for a couple weeks to visit her DH. The kids get to spend a few weeks with their grandparents. Saying that she is selfish because she isn't bringing the kids to Korea with her (the flights are expensive and getting a passport takes forever, which is beside the point) feels almost like a slap in the face to those of us mommas who had to leave our dc behind for 52 weeks while we are in Korea. Because we were not permitted to bring our families. (Not everyone has command sponsorship--and not everyone can afford to bring their families over on their own). I hope she has a pleasant stay in Korea. I wish my husband could come to Seoul. However, because of the price of plane tix and the passport issues, I will be visiting them in the US.
#20 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
She is coming to Korea for a couple weeks to visit her DH. The kids get to spend a few weeks with their grandparents. Saying that she is selfish because she isn't bringing the kids to Korea with her (the flights are expensive and getting a passport takes forever, which is beside the point) feels almost like a slap in the face to those of us mommas who had to leave our dc behind for 52 weeks while we are in Korea. Because we were not permitted to bring our families. (Not everyone has command sponsorship--and not everyone can afford to bring their families over on their own). I hope she has a pleasant stay in Korea. I wish my husband could come to Seoul. However, because of the price of plane tix and the passport issues, I will be visiting them in the US.
#21 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 05:56 AM

Three weeks without mum is a long time for small kids. A year apart is a long time in a relationship. I'd say they are the only people who can decide which choice is best for their family, and I can't really judge them for whichever choice they made.

I wouldn't like to be put in that situation at all. However, I can see myself going to see my DP, even if it meant leaving kids behind. I don't think it's a selfish choice as such (unless wanting to have a happy family counts as selfish). I wouldn't want to be so attached to my kids that I'd drift apart from my DP. If taking the kids with me was an option, I'd probably do that. But the situation in Korea, as has been mentioned by several pp's, might not be the best for kids. I honestly don't know enough to say whether I'd take them with me or not, I'd have to find out more about it.

As for the daycare thing, I really think most people (and that includes mums, they are human, after all) need time for themselves. I don't have kids yet so I don't know what my own me-time need level will be, but I do think it's important for people to get that need met. I don't know if I'd be comfortable saying that someone else is doing something wrong simply because they need more or less downtime than me.

But then again, I don't think being a mother is the most important job in the world, so we already disagree there.
#22 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 05:57 AM

2lilsweetfoxes,

Those of you condemning this mom can you read 2lilsweetfoxes' post. Do you see her sig:
Quote:
Missing my darling children. 10 months until I am with them again.
Can you imagine how this thread sounds to her? To her desire to have her husband visit her while she's away?

Unless anyone posting on this thread has first hand experience with a spouse deployed and running a house, caring on her/his own for two small children while also attending school and trying to get a business off the ground I don't think they can judge.
#23 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
They have their mom. Kids in day care are not parent-less. They are not abandoned or unloved or neglected and they make up the majority of kids in North America. And while their mom is planning to be away they will be with family. Family who love them and know how to take care of them and will most likely cherish the time they have with them. This idea that kids can't be away from their mom and in the care of other trusted, loving, competent and loved (by the kids) caregivers is unhealthy and puts too big a burden on mothers. For a variety of reasons moms aren't always or can't always be with their kids 24/7 and instead of damning them maybe we need to look at how to support them.

Kaydee asked an important question up thread and I hope the OP comes back to answer it.

umm... JustJamie isn't the OP Happy Becky is...

i know they have their mom...never said kids in day care were parentless nor would i ever say such a thing, you assumed that...abandoned or unloved or neglected isn't that making a huge leap? i never said kids couldn't be away from their mothers, sure they can but 21 days is pushing it yk? well for my family and alotta people i know anyways...i'm sorry but you don't seem to have got my post (no snark)

the point was these kids ARE young, dad is gone for a YEAR and i would think w/one parent being gone the other parent would spend EXTRA time with the kids...but that's just how i do things, the op wanted opinions and i gave mine, never expected it to be pick apart but oh well...stuff happens <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8656268", true); </SCRIPT>
#24 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
please tell me where i said this mom was being selfish? i just asked why the kids couldn't go!
#25 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 AM

>>please tell me where i said this mom was being selfish? i just asked why the kids couldn't go!

Maybe they cannot afford the $4500 average it would cost for three plane tickets (assuming they live near a major international hub such as New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, or San Francisco) and buying mom's ticket is stretching their budget. I paid almost $3000 for a round trip ticket just for myself to go home to Oklahoma this weekend for a couple weeks. I am going to assume the children may not have passports and mom cannot wait to take the trip because of school or work committments.

Otherwise, if EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program--the program for special needs family members of military servicemembers) could clear my autistic son to come to Korea, and he could get the therapies he requires here, I would have fought for a command sponsorship. And would stay until I was kicked out of the country. It is really nice and pretty child friendly. Just stay out of the bar district at night...
#26 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
umm... JustJamie isn't the OP Happy Becky is...
I didn't confuse that. It was JustJamie who answered the question why the kids couldn't go with mom and I re-posted it as it seems you missed it. JustJamie isn't the OP but she knows about deployment to Korea and was able to clear up why the kids aren't going with mom, aside from the extravagant expense for a military family with a family member in school.

Quote:
i know they have their mom...never said kids in day care were parentless nor would i ever say such a thing, you assumed that...abandoned or unloved or neglected isn't that making a huge leap? i never said kids couldn't be away from their mothers, sure they can but 21 days is pushing it yk? well for my family and alotta people i know anyways...i'm sorry but you don't seem to have got my post (no snark)
I did get your post and you seem to be assuming this mom isn't there for her kids or there EXTRA. You wrote you think they need their mom more now and I'm just arguing the idea that she isn't there more for them now. And even if she isn't every day all day neither are any of us. If we're honest none of us are there 100% for our kids all the time but we love them and care for them as best as we can at the time. And there's nothing wrong with that. It wasn't just your post either, but the ones earlier saying the kids don't need to be in care and that it's heartbreaking etc. Yours was just another one showing very little support for what is, I'm sure, a very tough situation for this woman and her family and one I'm glad I have the luxury to not be in.

Quote:
the point was these kids ARE young, dad is gone for a YEAR and i would think w/one parent being gone the other parent would spend EXTRA time with the kids...but that's just how i do things, the op wanted opinions and i gave mine, never expected it to be pick apart but oh well...stuff happens <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8656268", true); </SCRIPT>
She is spending EXTRA time with her babes. She's spending a great more deal unsupported time than most parents. She's parenting all on her own while missing her spouse and doing everything else that needs doing (school, house, business etc). My guess is she's taking on way more than I am and my son's with me every day all day. But I get the option of going out for a walk when BF gets home, or seeing a movie with friends, or having a bath uninterrupted or just sitting down and letting BF do the bedtime stuff or read to DS. I also have the luxury of knowing how BF is doing simply by looking in his eyes when he walks through the door.
#27 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 AM

I too was wondering what kind of support the OP has been offering her sister in these difficult times. I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be to have a husband away for 1 year.

I find this quote very harsh for example:

My sister is 23 and has a 3 yr old son and 18 mo. dd. It seems like my sister and brother-in-law wanted kids early and now that they have them, they're too immature to quit acting like dumb kids and like a real Mommy and Daddy. I don't know...

It sounds like you and your sister don't have a good relationship. Have you told her how you feel and have you offered any help? Wouldn't it be reasonable to cut her some slack and try to put yourself in her shoes? I mean, her husband is away for 1 year and she wants to go see him for a little bit. Though I have never traveled for more than 2 days without the kids, I can see how it could be too complicated and expensive to bring little ones to Korea. The fact she wants to see the daddy of her children is a good thing - it helps her marriage which will also help the kids!

I think it would be nice if we all tried to give each other the benefit of the doubt - specially when the person in question is our own sister...
#28 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 AM

Is there something more going on that I am just not getting? I cant fathom being this angry about something like this? Yes, 3 weeks is a long time to be away from mom. But while children are very important, the family as a whole is important as well. My husband is the light of my life, my soulmate, my best friend... it would kill me to have him away from me for a year, and you can bet I'd be out there to visit him if I could... more than once if I could.

These children are not with a stranger. They are with their grandparents. If they are going to daycare during the day, then they will have that same setting when mom is gone that they have while she is here, giving them extra structure and normalacy. Even if not, as PPs have said, its a great way for them to bond w/ their grandparents.

When my DD was 16 mos, I went to Palm Springs w/ my husband on a business trip (his, not mine). I left my DD and my 12 yr old DS with my parents, in my home, for 5 days. (he was gone for 8 and i met him there) I almost did not go because I was afraid of how my daughter would be affected. I have to say that going was the best decision I ever made. My parents fell in love with their granddaughter, who they never really got to bond with. My son even elected to go back to Fla w/ my parents for another 3 weeks after DH and I got back. Leaving them together was a gift for my parents that I could have never imagined. And those 5 days with my husband were like another honeymoon for us. We got to really reconnect after the year of taking care of an infant and putting ourselves second to their needs. We fell in love all over again, and our relationship has been strong ever since we came back (that was in Feb) It was the healthiest thing I could do for all of us.
#29 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM

I think parenting is full of lots of difficult decisions like this one -- but I agree with the posts that reminded us of how important it is to stay sane as a mom and to stay connected as a couple.

I also wanted to mention a friend of mine whose 18 month old son went for SIX WEEKS to stay alone with his grandparents half-way across the country. My friend and her DH, 5yo DD and 18mDS live in Wisconsin. DS had been sick with colds and ear infections (with tubes) for four straight months with no break. They went to visit her inlaws in California and he started to get better, so the inlaws offered to keep him there until their planned visit to Wisconsin six weeks later. My friend agreed and left her son (he wasn't nursing anymore), went home with her daughter and husband to her job (she owns her own bakery business). This little boy stayed with DOTING grandparents the whole time, got healthier, and came home happy.

Do I think it was the right thing to do? I honestly don't know. I think if I thought my child needed a change of climate to improve her health, I would probably find a way to make it happen with me there...but then again, my business is portable and my friend's is not. I think it was a really tough decision. I don't know how many iterations of options they went through before landing on this one -- but the kid was ok, I'll say that much. I think I probably wouldn't do it...but I also hope I'll never be faced with the choice.

I would like to hear what the OP has offered her little sister in terms of help this year. The only change I'd have made in the sister's plan was to stay at her parents' house for the four days before she leaves, to help acclimate her kids to the environment with her there, if possible. Still, what a tough decision. Again, I'm glad I didn't need to make it myself.
#30 of 176 Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM

I am guessing this is not the only reason you are upset with them?
Maybe the sister is doing alot more "immature" stuff as she said and this is yet another time she is leaving the kids behind..

That said I can see both points on her not taking the kids. I am mostly thinking the dad would be missing out seeing the kids, but maybe financially they cant afford it or maybe the sister does not feel she can handle both kids in a different country.

whatever the reason I would try to help out the grandparents and maybe take them for a few days or even to the park a few times. Maybe you can make a bonding experience out of this?

I also dont think we should be beating up the mama who posted this, sounds like she is upset and maybe did not word everything right or explain. Most likely needs someone to listen not ask her what has she done for her sister..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page