sad little rant ... please send your kids out to play ... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMamma View Post
If children from 300 yrs ago could see kids now....
The concept of childhood that we have did not exist 300 years ago. Children were for the most part considered short adults, and therefore most children worked -- either on their families farms or shops or for other families (often living with other families as servants from the time they were quite young). Children of the rich were educated -- but not in a so-you-can-follow your bliss sort of way, but so that they could do exactly what their families and society expected of them.

Children were routinely beaten for minor infractions, and it was expected that many children would die before reaching adulthood.

Our kids really are better off than many in the past.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#62 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear what the OP is saying. My four year old DS is living outside this summer (and really anytime the weather is good) though. However, we wouldn't be at the park at dinner time, because that is when we are at home eating at the family table.

I've found for DS, the big thing is having friends to play with. We have the neighbor kids come over and they all play in our backyard or we go to people's homes (we belong to a large mom's group with lots of playgroups and playdate opportunities) and the kids usually end up out in the backyard. If my son is alone though, he'd be a total couch potato...if he has friends though, he can play outside for hours. It also helps to have some fun things to keep them busy...pools, sprinklers, sandboxes, swingsets, etc....otherwise we go to the park often and meet up with friends...I'd say he plays at the municipal parks 3-4 times a week on average.

I honestly don't know how some moms can handle it with the kids inside all day...we go housecrazy in the winter time...! Just me though...there are only so many hours of reading, art, and TV I can handle .
gen
www.genstyleliving.com
#63 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
The concept of childhood that we have did not exist 300 years ago. Children were for the most part considered short adults, and therefore most children worked -- either on their families farms or shops or for other families (often living with other families as servants from the time they were quite young). Children of the rich were educated -- but not in a so-you-can-follow your bliss sort of way, but so that they could do exactly what their families and society expected of them.

Children were routinely beaten for minor infractions, and it was expected that many children would die before reaching adulthood.

Our kids really are better off than many in the past.
Yes childhood as we know it is a fairly recent concept.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#64 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 PM

I think a major part of the problem is a lack of public spaces. Places we can all spend time without paying to be there or buying something.

Many posters are saying, "But maybe the kids are all at camp/classes/Gymboree/the waterpark..." All things we have to pay for and schedule. What ever happened to "hanging out"?

Now there are actually laws against it in most communities. People go ballistic when they see more than 2 teenagers "loitering" in one place for longer than 5 minutes. It's just sad. Even our free time is something to be bought and sold now.
#65 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 PM

When we lived in Edzell, Scotland on a naval base, the duplex/townhomes were around the edge of the block and in the center of all the houses was green space. It was our playground. All the parents could watch their kids playing just by looking out a rear window. I have a lot of memories of playing in that courtyard. We lived there when I was 4, 5 and 6 years old. My brother was 7, 8 and 9 years old during that time.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#66 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 08:52 PM

I agree about there not being "playdates" when we were kids.

If some one had said Playdate back then no one would have known what they were talking about.

A "playdate" for me was walking next door or across the street, knocking on the door and saying "wanna come out and play?"

I didn't need adults to "schedule" play time for me. I chose who, where & when I played.
#67 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post
So, maybe we *thought* we were unattended but really were. Maybe we *thought* our parents didn't know what we were doing, but really did. Our perception as children is not necessarily the reality.
I asked my mom once as well. She said if I was at the local park, she would just come out and see how I was doing and then go back in. It seems a number of moms in our neighborhood would this.

Personally, our local park is too far for my 2 and 4 yo. Perhaps when they are older and I feel more comfortable I would let them walk by themselves. In the meantime, we do sometimes go after dinner (which is about 6-7pm since I work til 5:30pm). We've also done a picnic in the park (now that it's summer.) We ate, and then let the kids run around to play.
#68 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiAnn67 View Post
I agree about there not being "playdates" when we were kids.

If some one had said Playdate back then no one would have known what they were talking about.

A "playdate" for me was walking next door or across the street, knocking on the door and saying "wanna come out and play?"

I didn't need adults to "schedule" play time for me. I chose who, where & when I played.
I have scheduled playdates for my daugher, when she was 18 months old. I wasn't about to let her knock on the neighbor's door. (They have 3 pitbulls, or is it 4?)

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#69 of 122 Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post

We were out at a huge park July 30, nice weather, from 5pm-6:30.
That's dinner time for lots of people . . . maybe that's why you missed them?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#70 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Where I come from, there is a lot of nervousness about West Nile and Lyme's Disease. Lyme's Disease especially is very scary. When it get close to dusk, most people stay inside to avoid misquitoes. And the ticks, well, you either gunk on suntan lotion and bug repellant every two hours or you stay inside.
#71 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi's Mom View Post
When we lived in Edzell, Scotland on a naval base, the duplex/townhomes were around the edge of the block and in the center of all the houses was green space. It was our playground. All the parents could watch their kids playing just by looking out a rear window.
Oh how I wish houses were designed this way today. If there was a development like that nearby, we would definitely move there.
#72 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I also find the praise of children spending huge amounts of time unattended odd.
While I think some private play is desirable, I mostly was preferring that parents not require them to stay on the property if the parent doesn't have time to go out with an older kid. Dr. Phil had a show about a 12 or 13 year old girl who wanted to walk to the convenience store 1/4 mile from her house on her own. I believe his quote was "I wouldn't let my wife walk a quarter mile on her own." Geesh.
#73 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 PM

If I lived somewhere where it was unsafe to walk a 1/4 mile to the store, or was too buggy (ticks and mosquitoes) to go outside, I'd move. How can people live like that?? It's just not worth it.
#74 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
If I lived somewhere where it was unsafe to walk a 1/4 mile to the store, or was too buggy (ticks and mosquitoes) to go outside, I'd move. How can people live like that?? It's just not worth it.
Yeah same here.

I know many people don't have a choice though.

#75 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 12:53 PM

Wow, readingthese responses, I am starting to feel lucky about where we live, Bozeman MT, the kids are out so much that I get sick of being outside! And they just come over here or go over to their friends (there's kids in all the four houses on both sides of us). No such thing as a playdate here. although some of my son's friends who live farther away do this.

There's always a parent somewhere, and all ages, up to 8. I was just saying to my neighbor next year I would like a little more scheduled time coz I am just getting tired of them playing outside (riding bikes, scooters, playing games, etc.) literally 6-8 hours a day!

Also kids always walk alone here, at first I was shocked. But the rates of crime are so low, it's doable and safe. I guess living here has its plus side.

Also this summer has been extremely hot, but they still want to be out. It's kind of hard on me, coz I have to watch, or at least go in and out and I am tied to the house. But I guess it's a good thing. SO I am going to stop complaining about this. Thanks for the perspective.
#76 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 12:54 PM

I played outside when I was little because my mother told us to go out and not to come back until dinnertime. If I had the choice, I would have stayed in much of the time.

I'm raising my kids differently -- they have the choice. When I send my kids out to play, they are back in 10 minutes or less, insisting that they'd rather be with me.

The time we spend outdoors is typically together.
#77 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 01:46 PM

We live in FL, so we know from hot. It's 90+ degrees every day for months on end. If we stayed nside when it was hot, we'd be inside for five months of the year--no way! DD plays outside every single day (also in the rain). We stay in from about 11-3, because yeah, it's hot as heck then, and that's lunch and rest time anyway. And we don't frequent the parks with no shade access in the summer. But you don't have to go out at high noon to a park without a single tree, for heaven's sake! Even on a very hot day, the early morning and late afternoon/dusk hours are livable, especially if you have access to shade.

Her daycare also sends the kids out every single day, no matter what, unless it is pouring rain.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#78 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
In our neck of the woods the weather has been nasty: cold and wet. I take dd out when it's relatively dry, but now I've caught a cold and don't feel like hanging out in cold, damp weather for more than a few minutes. The other problem is that for insurance reasons, dd may not go out and run around on her own until she's seven. So if I'm not with her (or another adult) then she's just not going anywhere.
You must live on post then. I know my friend in Germany lives on an Army Post and let her 5 yo outside to go to the park at the end of the street. The MPs came knocking at her door within a few minutes.
To explain upfront, I am from Germany. Europeans let their kids out to play much sooner than Americans. There's an induced anxiety in this country I cannot deal with. It makes me sick knowing that my kids cannot grow up freely in The Land Of The Free (no offense, but this expression just makes me snort every time I hear it).
I think times have changed everywhere and it probably was safer then than it is now. In Europe as in the US. But you guys seem to have adapted pretty well to all the lawsuits about every little sh*t and the warnings and labels on everything. We don't have that in Europe. It is hard not to get paranoid about just about anything here in the States and there's no escape. It makes me sad that I'm getting sucked into it.
Plus one big thing here seems to be that people seem to think you're some kind of bad parent who doesn't give their kid the opportunity to learn Tap, Soccer, Football, Instruments, Art and all the other stuff they offer at age 3 already. But yet look around you: there's kids who are wearing size 5/6T pullups because they aren't potty trained, they cannot tie their shoes when they're 6 and they need lessons to learn how to swim, ride their bike...It was one of the first things I noticed when I came to this country: Mainstream America seems to have their priorities twisted when it comes to bringing up a child. No common sense allowed. Land of the free....
#79 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
Well, it would be nice to do that, but it's not something we could afford to do right now...
#80 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM

I grew up in the late 60s and early 70s in a very small town in Nebraska. We were outside most of the day, rode our bikes to the swimming pool alone, played for hours outside at friends' houses in the neighborhood, etc. Sounds like Leave it to Beaver, right?

But I don't romanticize it the way that I see other people do. There's nothing about it that makes me wax nostalgic.

What I remember were a bunch of unsupervised kids who did some pretty awful things when no adult was looking. There was always a bully, and some poor kid who got horribly teased (or worse), but his mother was no where to be found and she wouldn't let him come in the house because he was supposed to be outside.

I remember cruelty to animals, I remember learning weird and scary things about sex from uninformed children, I remember being frightened of the teenage boys who would snap bras and try to pinch butts, and I remember running like hell when somebody stole something from the local grocery in case I'd be caught and blamed for it.

But most of all, I remember wishing some adult would just see what was going on and make it stop.

So was I the only one?
#81 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 04:00 PM

I agree l_olive.

We rarely went out unsupervised, but that's what it was like when we did.

#82 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM

It's sad but there are not a lot of kids in my neighborhood & we live on a huge hill with no sidewalk. Plus my 8 year old Son has some behaivoral issues, he has no fear & doesn't follow directions. So if I ask him to please look both ways when crossing the street on his bike, he will do it the 1st time he crosses after being asked, but after that hes a mad-man & I just can't let him be unsupervised.

Reading this had made me want to head to the local park a little more often. In fact I am gonna go post to my Moms group about meeting up tomarrow!
#83 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM

That would be perfect! How lucky you were to have that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi's Mom View Post
When we lived in Edzell, Scotland on a naval base, the duplex/townhomes were around the edge of the block and in the center of all the houses was green space. It was our playground. All the parents could watch their kids playing just by looking out a rear window. I have a lot of memories of playing in that courtyard.
#84 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM

While my Mom didn't tell us to stay outside all day she wanted us to be outside for most of it. I hated being outside... I would have rather been curled up in a chair reading. I am extremely fair skinned (my nickname in high school was 'whitey') I was constantly getting burnt, it was hot in Iowa in the summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaduck View Post
I played outside when I was little because my mother told us to go out and not to come back until dinnertime. If I had the choice, I would have stayed in much of the time.
#85 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM

I actually grew up in the town Jerry Mathers aka Beaver was from! Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
I grew up in the late 60s and early 70s in a very small town in Nebraska. We were outside most of the day, rode our bikes to the swimming pool alone, played for hours outside at friends' houses in the neighborhood, etc. Sounds like Leave it to Beaver, right?
#86 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelle-a-tron View Post
I actually grew up in the town Jerry Mathers aka Beaver was from! Ha!
What town was that?

I've alway been curious
#87 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 PM

I grew up in a small town in Iowa in the late 70's early 80's & I remember it pretty much exactly the same way. We moved away when I was 10 but I remember going back & staying with my Dad & my friends during the summer & getting picked up on by Boys in cars when were 12 years old, some of my friends would taunt them & I remember one girl even getting in the back of a pickup with a bunch of boys. I knew that was going to be bad. I was scared witless. I remember learning about suicide when I was in 3rd grade, one of the neighborhood teenagers, went to the bluff we lived on, it was HUGE & he was going to jump, he drug probably 10 grade school & junior high kids with him & gave away his belongings he had on him, it was wrong for us to see. My little brother was in kindergarten. I wonder if he remembers it? My brother & I lived in a pretty poor neighborhood but my Father was an engineer on the railroad & made good money so we always had nice clothes & new bikes. I also remember once being told our bikes were going to be stolen & these kids made me & my kindergarten aged brother play chicken with them, that very night our bikes were gone from our back yard. I hated being made to go outside... my Son has the choice & really he likes to do both. We play quite a bit outside but usually wait until after dinner & stay out until dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post

But I don't romanticize it the way that I see other people do. There's nothing about it that makes me wax nostalgic.

What I remember were a bunch of unsupervised kids who did some pretty awful things when no adult was looking. There was always a bully, and some poor kid who got horribly teased (or worse), but his mother was no where to be found and she wouldn't let him come in the house because he was supposed to be outside.

I remember cruelty to animals, I remember learning weird and scary things about sex from uninformed children, I remember being frightened of the teenage boys who would snap bras and try to pinch butts, and I remember running like hell when somebody stole something from the local grocery in case I'd be caught and blamed for it.

But most of all, I remember wishing some adult would just see what was going on and make it stop.

So was I the only one?
#88 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Sioux City, Iowa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy View Post
What town was that?

I've alway been curious
#89 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Little kids in my neigborhood are all outside during the day (ages 3 and up to about 11). But no, not unsupervised.

Instead they are :

1) At camps. We have a dance camp, a generalist camp, a circus camp etc.. all in our park district

2) Playing soccer or softball

3) At the countryclub pools. Hanging out without a lot of structure but its fun.

Oh and at 5:00-6:30 almost everyone is home showering/resting/eating. That is NOT a good time for us, on anyone we know to go to a park.

Almost all the kids over the age of 10 here go away for at least a month in the summer to sleep away camp.

Indeed, my girls are (SOB!!!) all at sleep away camp right now. It sucks for me. They though are right this minute on a three day adventure trip, riding bikes, rapeling mountains and canoeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#90 of 122 Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Well, it's 6pm and my 4.5 yr. old is outside riding his bike right now. Earlier, he was playing in a neighbor's baby pool. He spends lots of time outside every day-- there are no cars around here, just sidewalks, playgrounds, grass, and sand. It's all fenced in and there are kids in 75% of the townhouses (the other 25% are childless grad students). Kids own this place and almost all of them over 4 play outside unsupervised for part of every day. I love it! We just moved from a big city and my son wasn't allowed out of the fenced-in backyard without me. Although he would have been at 8+, anywhere.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page