Another month, another baby for the May '04 Mamas! ;) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not a lot of time, but I just wanted to make the announcement that the peanut was born yesterday morning at home, in water. It was a fast, furious, sometimes terrifying birth, but in the end we all came out happy and healthy. The little boy (I'll post the birth story and name on the yg later) is nursing happily, pooping up a storm, and I'm sore and tired. It happened so quickly one of the midwives totally missed it, and the lentil was in the next room for the birth but got to help cut the cord. Thanks for all your vibes and good thoughts. I don't think I would have had the confidence to have a homebirth if it hadn't been for all you amazing, strong mommas. There was a moment there where I thought to myself "What are you DOING? Epidurals are your friend!!!" but then I went back to business and I have to say, there's nothing quite a wonderful as being at home, in your own bed, surrounded by your happy, healthy family.
#362 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM

wow wow wow wow!!!! welcome little peanut you go, awesome homebirthin' mama : fast is the key portion of 'fast and furious birth'. can't wait to hear the story and the name of course!!! welcome little brother to the lentil!!!!
#363 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 05:57 PM

YAY!!!! Welcome peanut-boy! Sounds like a great birthday. Can't wait to hear more.
#364 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Yay!! Welcome, sweet little peanut!! So happy you were able to birth at home!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#365 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Yayyyyy! Congrats on the homebirth and welcome, little peanut! Hooray! Can't wait to read the deets.

Welcome home, jstar!

Sarah
#366 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 06:55 PM

happy day after birthday, little baby boy!

congratulations emmalola and family!

lots of love,
~claudia
#367 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Congratulations and Welcome Baby Peanut!
#368 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Congrats to Emmalola and new baby! Wow, another water baby! Can't wait to hear the details. Yes, homebirth is the best. I'm glad you were happy with it.

#369 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 PM

Okay, two practical questions for my May mamas:

1. I want to try a bottle with A (just for occasional use), but we waited too long with G and he never took one. I'm thinking I should introduce soon...she's 3 weeks yesterday. And, I could never get my Avent Isis hand pump to produce much...I did better hand expressing. Any hints at getting started?

2. G has developed a bit of a stutter. I notice it most on words that begin with "L" and "S" and "W" (letters he's had trouble saying in the past.) It often happens when he's in a hurry, too. Not always, though. Is this just a normal phase or should I be worried?
#370 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 PM

Welcome little Peanut!!!!!

I knew it!!! :

On a side note.. just got back from the doc... Isaac was running/driving his little dumptruck with his hands and it slid out from underneath him just as he hit the tiles by our front door. He faceplanted and split right underneath his nostril all the way up into his nose. Poor baby. I took him in and they said he could use two stitches, but they'd prefer not to because it wouldn't help as much as it would be traumatic for him. So they said keep neosporin on it to reduce the chance of a scar. Poor baby!
#371 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh so exciting!!! Congratulations, Emmalola! Woo hoo!
: : : : : : : : :t humb

Jess--I won't bore you with our fence dramas, but dude, people get pretty worked up about them. (My panties are definitely at the wad stage.)

Jacquie--I don't really have any advice re bottles. T took one, Z didn't (infamously), L was kind of eh. Re stuttering: T went through one around this age, too, as have a couple of my friends' kids (all boys, coincidentally). From what I remember, it's pretty normal, and you should be concerned only if it lasts a long time (longer than say, 3-4 mos) or if it completely prevents him from communicating.

Danile, sorry about the car. That sounds like it totally SUCKS. Ooh, I was posting as your post appeared. Poor Isaac! Ochy! I hope he heals quickly, easily, and without much pain.

Oh yeah--happy anniversary, FF! I really do hope that the pleasant times just continue indefinitely for you. I mean, *why* not???

Lisa, sometimes, it's a little fun to educate others about crunchiness, if you don't feel too much like a freak whilst doing it.

Crusties almost gone. (Definitely cured.) We were able to go to storytime at the library, music class, and the school playground, all because Z wasn't contagious. Yea!

Meg, thinking of you lots. (I think about you lots, anyway, because we have the May baby April baby thing in common).
#372 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalola View Post
Not a lot of time, but I just wanted to make the announcement that the peanut was born yesterday morning at home, in water.
I have to say, there's nothing quite a wonderful as being at home, in your own bed, surrounded by your happy, healthy family.
*sigh* and mega-yayness! WELCOME TO THE NEWEST LITTLE LEGUME!!!!

I am so so happy for you, and your homebirth! Rock on, you! You are Warrior Mama now! Wow. I am in awe and so so happy for you. Glad your lil legume is doin' what babies should be doin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
I'm doing okay-ish, pulling myself together, getting ready to make some serious changes. Just. You. Wait.
CanNOT wait. Please update as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
els- did you decide what to do with amara and your trip?
Most Probable Scenario: My dad will ride down with me and she comes with me. I just can't do it alone, with her. I really can't. And I don't feel so good about leaving her.

Jstar, glad you had a nice trip. Sorry 'bout that hedge! Which reminds me of the Monty Python: "Bring me....a shrubbery!" Sorry to hear also about Isaac's faceplant! What a total bummer!

Jacqueline--can you post a question to see if there are any speech therapists on MDC? I bet there are. I don't think stuttering is the end of the world but I do think it's not a great thing at his age.
I started out Amara drinking water out of bottles pretty early, can't remember when. 5 weeks? Just in case. She's eating lots of food now and that's what she eats when I am not around, no ebm, even much earlier (8 months). Why? mama too lazy to pump.

Lisa--thinking about Annabel and her daycare experience. It will be okay, and I know you know that, but I just want to hug you and say it. Of COURSE she's not as happy as when she's with her family, and in a few weeks it'll all be just fine. I can appreciate, however, how very heartwrenching it must be at times. go you on glass bottles! The vegan nuns nod in appreciation!
#373 of 441 Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 PM

Jacquie---I missed your post earlier.... for pumping, if you can coordinate it, try to pump on the opposite side while she nurses to take advantage of the natural letdown. Letting down w/ the pump is hard to get the hang of. Relax and visualize the same thing as you do and then try that each time you pump. What worked best for E in the beginning was using a curved tip syringe and having DH finger feed w/ that. She did eventually take to Dr Brown's bottles (TG!) and you know our feeding adventures from there.... :

When I was a part-time nanny for a family, the little girl started stuttering for a brief time after the baby brother was born. Hoping it's just his reaction to stress/upheaval. May be a phase, but definitely ask around.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#374 of 441 Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 AM

fruit flies have invade my house
(: worm bin: )

Hooray EL! :

I forgot what else I was going to say.
#375 of 441 Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 AM

re: bottles. i think 2-4 weeks is the optimal time to try it. both of my babes just sucked em down at that age and then isaac became picky later on (~3 mo). (neither boy has had any boob rejection issues). ebin was being picky about it before we left (because i hadn't done bottles very regularly) but he got lots of practice on vacation. let torey give annie the bottle so mama is always associated with the boob. i've even let isaac feed ebin (which lasted about 30 secs). with isaac he was always fed at daycare with reheated milk. with ebin if i am going somewhere i just pump before i go and leave it on the counter and he takes it room temperature. i kind of wonder if part of isaac's rejection of the bottle was a taste or texture issue with the reheated milk. once you introduce the bottle i think 2 times a week is probably good to keep them used to it. i had only been doing it about once a week with ebin before this last few weeks and i don't think that was enough to keep him used to it.

as far as pumping i have no advice. i have a pump in style and i love it. moo cow moo i just took the hand pump on vacation and i think it is a pita because i don't have the patience for all that physical activity and doing just one boob at a time the pis is so quick. i do get letdown for the pump though and i know some people just don't. visualize and/or look at annie or a picture of her.

i just read a big article in vogue (of all mags) on pthalates and i think i should get some glass bottles myself. i'm freaked. but i'm more freaked in the 'we're totally screwed at this point' way where small measures might not even do a thing because our exposures are sooo pervasive. the article said one in EIGHT women now has fertility problems. mind boggling. (speaking of fertility my friend came down to bakersfield and stayed with me for 4 days. she was still pregnant then and i am going to call and check in with her in the next few days. i believe she was going to have an u/s and that this will be just past 8 weeks which she hasn't passed yet. i'm still praying this is the baby!)

and as far as stuttering i have read that is is pretty normal for 2-3 year olds because they can go through a phase where their minds are working faster than their speaking capabilities. don't worry about it unless he does not seem to grow out of it in a few months or so. i wonder about isaac's speech sometimes because there are still several sounds he does not say at all and he does wierd substitutions.

time to go read in bed in my clean sheets. i did manage to spruce up the place a bit today. phew!

kk- i know a fence will be a major drama for the angry german. god forbid all that shade on her sun plants!! doug was fighting with her (long story) and told her he was going to put up a fence and she says 'what you don't like my garden????' which kind of cracked me up. i'm curious about your fence drama
#376 of 441 Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM

omigosh, REM was just on the new sesame street singing "furry, happy monsters" except part way through the song, the phlegmatic, purple, siamese twin monsters became "furry, sobbing monsters feeling sad" and then back again to "furry, happy monsters feeling glad" and back and forth a couple more times. sooooooooooo funny. love that song.
#377 of 441 Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 PM

TC that sounds terribly cute. aaaaaaawwww!

yay rem! Smart of them--their fan base from the 80s and 90s (ie, myself) are definitely procreating about now--
#378 of 441 Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 PM

thanks, everyone, for the stuttering/bottle thoughts. My hunch is that G is going through quite a bit right now, and that explains the occasional stutter. In general, it doesn't seem to affect his ability to communicate, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I think I should get an electric breast pump. Or hand express. I would just like to try the bottle thing this time, so we'll see how it goes. I got one of those Adiri bottles that look like a breast (sort of) and are supposedly free of that nasty plastic chemical. This is my project for the next week!

Will post some new pics on YG soon...
#379 of 441 Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Trying Nuggets' zucchini crisp suggestion with dinner tonight (and possibly breakfast tomorrow morning...). I'm sure it will be good, but more importantly, it used up two good sized squash.:

Jess, you don't want to hear about my fence drama.
#380 of 441 Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 PM

kk--re your location--Does your van have a sticker on it that says, if this van's rockin, don't come a-knockin?
JK--just had to say it--
*everyone's DORK alert is now going off*
#381 of 441 Old 08-24-2007, 01:14 AM

*DORK ALERT* *DORK ALERT* *DORK ALERT*

Sigh. Long day.

Jacqueline - I think the electric pumps are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than any hand pump. I have friends who were completely unsuccessful with the hand pump do fine with the double electrics. My ancient hand-me-down Pump In Style worked great for me. Also re:stuttering. I agree that if it doesn't improve in a few months, I'd get it checked out, but certainly don't worry until then. And FWIW, my DH stuttered as a child into first or second grade, got speech therapy, and now is fine. Totally not a stutterer at all. But I really don't think it is a big deal anyway at this age.

Danile - How is Isaac today? Hope the hurt is healing.

Lily is really dealing with death a lot lately. Everything in her imaginative play is dead or sick or dying or killed or something. It probably has to do with the fact that all the chickens and fish died while we were in Maine (ya think)? The chickens were eaten by a raccoon and the fish got too hot (bad fishsitter). She knows all this. She doesn't seem *upset* or sad, just obsessed with it. In her play, they all come back to life and/or are cured or just "go away." It's kind of interesting. I'm not worried about it (yet), but just watchful.

Can't wait to read birth stories!!! (Hint, HINT).

Sarah
#382 of 441 Old 08-25-2007, 02:13 PM

isaac is very morbid in his 'death' dealings. lots of his play is 'i kill you' 'i shoot you'. and if i show him a bug or something he invariably kills it. i'm on a kindness to all creatures campaign over here. this is why i wanted a girl :

so here's an uplifting subject for ya. what are the criteria for the state taking someone's baby away? i know a homeless 19yo who is 5 months pregnant and it isn't good. this is kind of the 'most likely to give birth in a chevron bathroom' kind of thing. she has ohp but she is literally and very seriously homeless. i have baby clothes and books to give her but i have no idea where she would take them. i think she's malnourished because she looks about 12 weeks pregnant. a friend brought her over to get some maternity clothes from me and she doesn't need them. i'm in a position to offer food or clothes or advice but i don't want to get caught up in trying to save her because she's a hustler. i've already been putting too much thought towards it (depressing). she's like a feral cat that can't be tied down so she isn't going to go for any maternity house program or something. it is all fine and good (well not really) to roam around when you're pregnant but i don't think she realizes she's going to need to BE somewhere after giving birth. i'm curious what the mechanism is for taking someones baby away. she says she wants the baby but i don't see the reality of that.
#383 of 441 Old 08-25-2007, 02:25 PM

J, that's so sad. I would advise you calling CPS and asking them. Tell them of your concerns but don't lead them to where they might find her just yet. Find out what options are available for her (they can probably tel you about some programs, I imagine) and give her the information. You can't make her do anything, but as she gets further along, reality may start to hit her and she will need some resources. Then you can also get the scoop on how/when/if the baby would be taken away and TELL HER what you find out. She should be informed of the reality that she will lose her baby if she does not meet certain requirements. Maybe that will help her take a little better care of herself and baby. Maybe not, but you can at least try.

I'm sorry you are faced with this. How heartbreaking.
#384 of 441 Old 08-25-2007, 02:27 PM

And Jess, please don't be afraid to call CPS on her if she is neglectful of the baby. I know it's an unwanted burden, but that baby needs you to help save his/her life!
#385 of 441 Old 08-25-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
what are the criteria for the state taking someone's baby away?
That is so sad.

Quote:
And Jess, please don't be afraid to call CPS on her if she is neglectful of the baby. I know it's an unwanted burden, but that baby needs you to help save his/her life!
:

Quote:
She should be informed of the reality that she will lose her baby if she does not meet certain requirements.
and : especially. I think that you may not be able to help her beyond giving her information to consider. Certainly, she should know that she has many more choices before CPS is involved compared to after.

On death and three-year-olds - my daughter has made many death comments since my dad and our cat died this spring. We have responded by being very blunt and factual if she seems to be asking us something. If it is play, we just let it be play and don't comment. It is interesting how much it gives us and those around us the willies when she talks about death. She is very casual about it though which may be the more spiritually advanced way to be.

BTW, I hung out with Miss Nuggets yesterday and it was a blast (thanks, J.) Our girls played very well together catching toads, playing with dolls, and jumping on the bed. The family bike is also a sight to be seen! I really want an extracycle myself now that I have seen it in real life. Total gadgetry cool!
#386 of 441 Old 08-25-2007, 07:40 PM

jess: so sad. i agree with what meg said.

lisa: yay for hangin' with the MMF in your neck of the woods!

on the bike front: i SCORED a little boys bike, barely ever used (like barely even ridden once, according to the neighbor who sold it at her garage sale) for twenty bucks!!! marek is still like 2 inches too short, but he was so excited when i said oh, what's that at the front door? it looks like a surprise for marek, you should go see it, marek. and then he walks up to it and says oh, it's a bike for me! my nana sent it to me! and bill and i were like, ummm... no, mom and dad got it for you. ohhhhhhhh, he says, you and dad sent it to me? it was cute though.

screeching babe from other room with bill... hmmm...

have a snappity-happity weekend...

~claudia
#387 of 441 Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 AM

hEY everybuggy!
When that 19 yo goes to give birth in a local hospital (assuming she does), the authorities will get involved there. She won't be discharged until someone knows where she's going, I think. That is indeed sad. I worked in a local hospital as a postnatal home visitor (in my previous life) and the screening we did at the hospital was fairly complete at each birth.

Last night's show was FANTABULOUS! It was the last show and we went out with a bang--great crowd, great dance, everything great great great. I went out and whooped it up with my goils until almost 3 am! My wife was a little put out, though, because when I showed up to pick them up (Viet is like, no help at all, so no, they weren't at home happy in their beds) they were bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, both fully awake, and happy to see mama. Apparently they had woken up around 2 am.
Anyway it was really fun. I went to a BAR and I DANCED and DRANK and it was really really fun! Felt like the old days...I saw the dad of a lil friend of Sol's, he is a friend of mine too, and I made the comment that being out like that made me feel young, and he said, "we ARE young"...and I was like, whoa...he's right. Whatta concept. It just seems like so long ago I had the carefree life...
So I'm chillin on the couch with laptop and coffee and am very happy. Most Sundays I've had this post-show depression thing happening, and I don't feel it coming on now. Overall at this moment, it's all good.
#388 of 441 Old 08-26-2007, 07:37 PM

ugh. i just woke up from a nap and the mdc picnic started 20 minutes ago. and i still need a shower and ebin is sleeping. not sure if i'm going to make it now dangit

i was wondering if it might be something that would happen at the hospital. i don't want them to take her baby but it seems like it would be a real possibility in this case. i assume they will drug test them. i haven't been drug tested at my births but i think it is something that is done when drug use is suspected. i believe she is mostly off drugs but i know she's smoking. i've only met her 3 times and the first 2 times were right when she found out she was pg.

ok. gonna shower because isaac wants to go to the paaaaaarrrrk!
#389 of 441 Old 08-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Hey all,
Just checking in really quick.

A took a bottle from dh! With very little fuss, actually. This is kind of a big thing for us because dh really wanted to do that with G and we just didn't time it right and/or he just didn't want to. So, her taking it with little fuss made him feel really good. Granted, it was less than an ounce of EBM, but it was something. I have ordered a gently-used Medela Pump-in-Style with all new attachment stuff off Ebay (thanks to all your recs) and look forward (really?) to using that every so often. If she continues to take bottles, it just might mean we have a date night at some point...we've only had 2 movies out without Gabriel in 3 years (this is just movies...no dinner), mamas, so the prospect of a little more flexibility in this arena is hopeful.

Okay, I'm leaking, so A better wake up soon! Off to find something for dinner.
#390 of 441 Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM

*sigh* newborn life...I am vicariously reliving it through jstar, jacq., and emmalola...

Hard thing of the moment: trying to find any scrap of alone time (I NEVER GET ANY ALONE TIME! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I used to spend hours a day alone, I need and require it for mental health!) and Viet not understanding, as he is alone several hours per day, and it has to be a fight to get him away from me instead of him just understanding...he does not get why I'd rather be alone than, ahem, doin' it with him. 'Cause that's all he ever wants to do with me, and gee, I have a LOT of other charms (vent #2) and things I like to do. We just don't have any we like to do together.

When it really comes down to it really really, the thing is that I don't love him or want to be with him, yet it's so "easy" to just keep doing what we're doing with these girls, and the thought of changing the arrangement freaks me out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page