May '04 Mamas: Welcome to September! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 254 Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Els, Glad you are back safe and sound. I am also pleased that the box of gifts was helpful. I worried a bit about all the mess potential in your new car. My daughter loves to play with pipecleaners so the glitter version could not be resisted.

I am far too busy in these parts. I feel consumed by my life right now as there is so much going on and too little down time to regroup. Alison and I are doing okay with not sharing a day off together, but Eleanor is getting in trouble for "not listening" at home and preschool. She has always been such a rule-following-compliance girl by nature that it's throwing us off a bit. Maybe it can be explained by her being three? Or the fact that so much of her time if with only one of us whose attention she much share with younger sister. and

On a fun note, I am making scarecrows (four, representing each of us). I have two strawbales, cornstalks, and I need to get pumpkins and gourds - but I am loving decorating my porch for harvest. Silly, I know, but it is fun.
#242 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 12:56 AM

Sorry I'm just a lurker lately...

College is crazy! Kids are crazier!

How did I not see that all Biology courses are intensive writing courses at this college?! : That on top of English and math I've been out of for years that requires a $200 calculator to perform some of it... : : I just want to pass out now. Off to study about some authors.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#243 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 AM

: danile, sounds crazy.

*sigh* Allison is also going through a serious not-listening phase. I remember going through this with Caitlyn, and at one well visit her pediatrician said it was a normal phase but that lots of parents actually come in and ask him to check the child's ears. Made me feel better to know it wasn't just me!

We're off to pick apples this morning :
#244 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Miss Juice, I am wishing you great amounts of patience for Miss Allison. That sounds very frustrating indeed.

Danile, I am sending you good school vibes for what you are doing. It's so hard! Your post actually made me heave a sigh of relief that I'm done with that for now, because I remember all too well the fervent desires I had to read something NOT related to school, like a novel, and that was pre-children. Cannot imagine now. Gah.

Mellow Sunday 'round here and I am glad for it! Sol playing happily with IKEA train set. Amara too, except she's not allowed to touch it and I keep hearing "NOOOO!".
#245 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Danile - I feel your pain.

Juice - I feel yours as well.

Els - Glad you are back home and settling in.

I'm trying to catch my breath after a crazy first week that included a full day of class yesterday and a crazy "chocolate party" last night for one of my friends. She has a 3-year-old, so there were lots of other kids there, too, and Lily was a little overwhelmed. It's so funny to see them interact these days.

Today is a shower/blessing that I'm really looking forward to and another dessert party for my good friend who lived with us but now lives way far south.

And tomorrow is Lily's first dentist appointment! Renae, I've been waiting for your report on R's experience...come on, girlfriend! Any advice?

OK, ladies, time for some fun discussion:

1. Do you have a "signature" birthday gift you give to friends in the $10-$30 dollar range?

2. If you could choose a fun gift for yourself in that range, what would it be? (More than one answer ok).

3. What was your favorite class in college? Why?

Sarah
#246 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM

1. Do you have a "signature" birthday gift you give to friends in the $10-$30 dollar range?

I often give jewelry. I love jewelry myself, so I like to window shop and inevitably find stuff for people that speaks to me. I also tend to give nice chocolate. If I don't do the jewelry thing, I give fun-yet-functional things like a cute tea towel or a funky kitchen timer ( emmalola).

2. If you could choose a fun gift for yourself in that range, what would it be? (More than one answer ok).

Jewelry. Fun house decorations. Some luxurious knee socks. A pretty little plate or mug. Things I feel guilty about buying for myself.

3. What was your favorite class in college/ high school/whatever? Why?

I like classes usually depending on the teacher. I liked my first-year core program because the teachers were great. I loved my ASL teacher. In nursing school, I had no interest in cardiology but liked that clinical because my instructor was so cool.

Sarah
#247 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM

hmmm...

signature gift in that range--usually something edible based on the person's likes. I tend to hunt down something decadent or gourmet that the person wouldn't ordinarily indulge in.

For me that might be chocolate, chocolate or chocolate.

Fave subject was always history as I appreciated the discussion/analysis and not just the 'facts' of it. Also a huge dork who loved essay exams. Had some really great professors.

Not listening. Um, yeah. Totally. Though she is 100x worse for DH and DH and I butt heads over his "techniques" for dealing with it. She also has DH's knack for explain-itis if something isn't going her way. I hear every excuse in the book all day long. She even takes up for E in similar fashion which is equal parts cute and exasperating.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#248 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 03:26 PM

I'll play!

1. I am a birthday lameass. I forget birthdays, I forget gifts, and generally I am the one baking a nifty cake or blowing up balloons. Very occasionally I get a good gift but I really despise buying something I think doesn't matter much and is conspicuous consumption.

2. The gift I most adore is being taken out to eat or something. I also love anything dance-related, conspicuous consumption or no.

3. Hm. Favorite college classes. Hm. I have to say the ones regarding language acquisition because of the teacher, she was amazing. I especially liked that you contracted for your grade ahead of time. You want an A, you do x,y,z. You want a B, you do x and y.

Heather I couldn't help giggling about C explaining for E, that's cute (and exasperating!). Sol has started translating for Amara as well. I was at the computer and Amara fell, and was crying (not a big fall, just a wah-wah) so I ignored it. Sol says to me, Amara wants her mommy, don't do the computer, hold her!

*chagrined* at being pointed out the obvious by my own daughter but it was cute all the same.
#249 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Brian Andreas prints or other art. I love going into those kind of shops with someone in mind and wandering until something strikes me as perfect. Not happening so much with kids.

Books and socks (and the time to enjoy them if at all possible). Tights. Jewelry too, especially earrings.

Toss up between Structure and Function and Black Women, Feminism(s) and Social Change. S&F for being more than just a physiology class but a basic course about the structures of plants/animals and the related physiological processes. BW,F and SC for it’s mind-blowing difficult assignments that I still think about all the time. I still have the texts from both.
#250 of 254 Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM

mine is signature in that it would usually come from one store where i wander and then buy gifts which strike me. these are gifty things from gifty stores so the things that strike me are things i would want for myself. these gifty items are usually: jewelry, wallets, photo albums, purses. a place that inspires me to shop for giftys is the supercrafty wonderland at the doug fir once a month. before christmas last year i went there a couple months in a row. very unique stuff. some overpriced but some good stuff in my price point range <$30. also cds if i know their taste or $20 gift certificate to a good music store.

well i just bought my friend a birthday wallet that was SO CUTE I WANTED IT. in fact i may have to go buy one for myself. i also love house stuff. bird stuff. deer stuff. wild colorful socks.

geomorphology. physics. both had hot professors : and i don't usually crush on the old geezers. more seriously though physics made me change the way i perceived the world and was the first time that i felt a click between math as something done on paper and math playing out every time something moves (and being able to predict that). and geomorphology because my dad is a geologist and i realllllllllllllllllly wanted to be a geologist the whole time i was growing up. and i still think it is cool and fascinating. i loved going out on the field trip bus and looking at major fault lines in the real world. i only got 2 geology classes in college and loved them both.
#251 of 254 Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 PM

Time to go buy cool socks for all the may mamas. Shall we do a holiday sock exchange?
#252 of 254 Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Time to go buy cool socks for all the may mamas. Shall we do a holiday sock exchange?
: That's a fantabulous idea!
#253 of 254 Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Oooh....or maybe if I get a knitter I'll just send some purty sock yarn!

3 is not fun today....ranted about it OY....

This evening I have the quickie u/s to check position, then mw appt tomorrow and maybe version wednesday (don't think I'll need it)....

I guess someone needs to start an October thread....I never get the links right for some reason!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#254 of 254 Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM

here ya go! New October thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page