May '04 Mamas: Welcome to September! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe that I'm actually the first one to start this thread...and it's the 2nd of the month! I hope I'm not missing our new thread in a really obvious place....

Anyway, welcome to September! (One of my favorite months...for personal reasons )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Didn't you know that we're moving up to the teenager subforum this month?

I just wanted to report that I didn't blow my master gardener interview (it was Thurs. night... don't think I mentioned it). Classes start in about 3 weeks.

Otherwise, count me as someone who's just subscribing to the thread.
#3 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 07:45 PM

I think it's just a quiet weekend.

I'm feeling groovy me'self...just finished giving a great class to some great women and am feeling the tribal love...girls are behaving....awwwww...

Happy September! It's going to be a good 'un, I think.
#4 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 PM

We all went to one of the local fairs today and enjoyed a perfect summer day!

KK--awesome!! Can't wait to hear how the classes are!

This being my bday month---I kinda like it too! Oh and a bit of a freakout as that means next month will be the baby's birthday month!

Elsanne--sounds like a great weekend!

.....subbing....

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 PM

Subbing. Just woke up from a looooooong nap with Jett and I'm sweating like a pig. Gee, could it be because it's 101 degrees? Drip drip drip...
#6 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 09:28 PM

subbing.

I am hot and lazy. Why are the girls still energetic? Or are they?
#7 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
Subbing. Just woke up from a looooooong nap with Jett and I'm sweating like a pig. Gee, could it be because it's 101 degrees? Drip drip drip...
Interesting fact: pigs don't sweat. That's why they have to roll around in mud (to keep cool). : :
#8 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post

This being my bday month---I kinda like it too! Oh and a bit of a freakout as that means next month will be the baby's birthday month!
WOW. Time flies. Hey, does that mean you are a Libra? Or a Virgo?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JACQUELINE MONDAY!!!! : :
#9 of 254 Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 PM

Totally a virgo if you hadn't already guessed!

#10 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 AM

Happy Birthday, Jacquie (tomorrow)!!!!

Groovy weekend, indeed. Glad to hear about Elsanne and Heather's respective groovy days. Hope all ya'll are feelin' groovy.

As for me, DH tore out our deck and started digging out our basement (to fix the foundation). I just puttered around, hung out with Lily, talked endlessly with DH about how we're going to rebuild the deck. It's fun - we get to design a whole new deck now. All using the boards reclaimed from the old one - we're just going to flip 'em over, sand and seal 'em.

Also our friend who's been housesitting for us moved out today. It was bittersweet - she's an awesome friend, and no trouble to have here at all, and Lily loves her, but it's also nice to have our own space again and move our stuff back to where it was.

UM what else. Can't believe Heather is due so soon. Can't believe new babes are here already. Can't believe school starts in 3 weeks! Ack!

Love to all-

Sarah
#11 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
Interesting fact: pigs don't sweat. That's why they have to roll around in mud (to keep cool). : :
whyioughta.... (where is the shaking a fist in jest smilie?)

And for the record, this pig jumped in her swimming pool to cool off today. The kids probably would have preferred we roll around in mud, but since I was doing double duty with a the swimming serving as the day's bath, the mud was a no go.

HF, how can you possibly be due next month???? You're a high speed gestator.

Happy Birthday, Jacquie!!! Hope your day is great and fun and whatever else you would like for it to be.

Lots of great progress and good times in our house these days. DH really seems to have heard me during our big talk the other day and I am quite pleased with his efforts. The past two weekends are the best I've had in a long, long time, and all we did was hang around the house, getting stuff done, playing with the kids. Living life!

I'm starting to toss around ideas of what I want to be when I grow up, I mean, go back to work. Probably won't do that for at least another year, but I may have some schooling to do and now is the time to start kicking around ideas. So far I'm seriously considering personal cheffing (weekly cooking meals for people in their homes, they just heat them up like leftovers during the week) or food writing. Food writing sounds fun to me, but I think I might not be fulfilled long term with it. Not exactly saving the world, yk? I dunno... I might have a hang up about not allowing myself to enjoy my work tho, so I'm kinda exploring that roadblock.

I'm gonna go indulge in some Sunday night tv. Or maybe I'll just go take a cool shower and go to bed. It's 9:45 and I'm still sweating like a.... sweaty sweaterson. Please, oh please, can tomorrow be cooler? :
#12 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 02:58 AM

Meg- just noticed your siggie. And I'm glad you're feelin support on the home front.

Sarah- I am so amazed at all you've done to that house. Sounds totally intimidating to me. I am not a fix-it-yourselfer, and neither is dh. Cool idea for redoing the deck.

Els- good luck with the start of travels tomorrow! I'll be thinkin of you and sending you mellow happy child vibes for the car portion of the trip.

I'm nervous/excited about our big yurt trip next weekend, and the 6 (probably 9!) hour drive we have to get there. I went to Goodwill today and got some wiz-bang toys and lift-the-flap type flashy books for the trip. We have a sedan and dh doesn't drive, so he gets the lovely job of entertaining/feeding both kids while twisting his body back from the front seat. Fun for him.: I can't wait to see my friend and her fam, though.

Does anyone know if you can download DVD's you own onto the larger sized ipods? We can't really buy movies online to download because we have dial-up internet and it takes DAYS to download video onto the ipod. Just trying to think of ways to keep the kiddos entertained.

Goodnight, all. Here's hoping for a cooler tomorrow across the country.
#13 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 AM

: "high speed gestator" , and it's so true. It's always seemed to me that while my own pregnancies last for decades (and I enjoy it, mostly), others' pregnancies fly by.

Wow on tearing out the deck and replacing it. Sounds like fun!

Good thoughts for elsanne's trip.

Meg, for good weekends. May they continue!

Fern, I don't know for sure about the ipod, but I'd imagine you could do it. Just before all of our long drives in the past month, we bought a portable DVD player with two screens, and it really helped with the drive. I held out for a long time because I don't like having the kids 'plugged in', but then I also don't like hours upon hours of incessant whining and complaining... so there you have it.

Super glad for an extra day off today, though the plans are entirely domestic - laundry and the like. But still, glad to have the day.
#14 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Not leaving for one week! Thanks for the good thoughts though.

"whyioughta" made me smile.

smoochie boochies to sarah.

heather: TOTALLY a virgo, butofcourse.

here's me: speed poster. gotta run.
#15 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM

I just wanted everyone to know I just ate a chocolate-chip-and-peanut-butter sandwich. And boy, was it good.
#16 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 PM

what kind of bread?
#17 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Sitting here, wondering why I'm not getting notifications about posts, thinking I've killed the thread... oh, yeah, I forgot to subscribe
#18 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Hi all, I'm a may 04 mama too I was wondering how many of your kids have potty learned yet? DS isn't interested AT ALL into sitting on the toilet or child potty. He seems to stay dry overnight but still won't pee in the morning in anything but the diaper. Any advice :
#19 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 10:26 PM

fleuretlumiere, sorry to hear about ds...I know there are some other boys on this thread with similar issues. Boys seem to potty learn later than girls, and girls are all I got.

Welcome, btw! Never mind my guff, I am always spouting off around here.

:
#20 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Who needs bread?
#21 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 11:16 PM

Anyone else having issues with mdc today? For instance, I am unable to stay logged in if I close my browser window. Usually, I am logged in all the time, never have to log in, even if I shut down or restart my computer. Weird. A couple of other glitchy user cp things too. Is it just me?

Who needs bread or who kneads bread? Yuckity yuck yuck.
#22 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 PM

It's just you, Meg. Sounds like spyware on your computer, or something.

"kneads" bread bwa ha ha ha.
tired tonight. Feeling, yet again, overwhelmed. So much that requires great amounts of energy.
#23 of 254 Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM

For that matter, who needs the peanut butter?? Just eat the chips straight from the bag!!

#24 of 254 Old 09-04-2007, 12:04 AM

I don't need anything but the chips, myself. mmm.

hi! joining in the game. and the lentil potty mastered at 2 and a few months because his montessori school really pushed it. He figured it out in about two weeks and has had only a small handful of accidents since. Nighttimes came about six month later, with great results.

sooo tired. brother on another bender, but this time the catch? he's been watching my dog since the birth so we could transition without a lot of barking. My brother barricaded himself in his house and when the police came the dog actually bit one of the cops. grrrreat! so now we're waiting to hear from the authorities about my dog biting one of their own. and my brother is still drunk. So frustrated with this whole situation! %)$@*%#(%@!!!!!!!!!
#25 of 254 Old 09-04-2007, 01:17 AM

Ooooh, emmalola, sounds complicated. Sorry.

Welcome, fleuretlumiere. No help here, sorry. My dd pretty much took matters into her own hands regarding the potty.

Meg, I'm having no probs with MDC.

Wheat bread. Although I don't need or knead no stinkin' bread. Although the peanut butter and the bread makes you think you're actually eating something substantial.

Dinner out tonight, then we stopped by a local park next to an old school that has a huge flock of birds nesting in the chimney. This time of year, every evening at dusk they turn into a huge whirlwind of birds and dive into the chimney. It was crazy.

Still feelin' my sangria from dinner. Le sigh. Purrrrrrrrrrr.

S.
#26 of 254 Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 AM

fleuretlumiere- ds has only recently become interested in potty learning. I never put much effort into it- got him a little potty chair, and a potty insert for the toilet and some books and occassionally suggested he try using it (very casually). Always he was vehemently opposed, so I let it drop without a fuss each time. Earlier in the summer, I tried having him go "nakey-butt" for a while in the morning, but he happily piddled here and there all over our small carpeted apartment, so once again I backed off, figuring he wasn't ready. Recently, he got a diaper rash and I let him go diaperless again (with some snazzy leg warmers on cool mornings). This time, he didn't piddle everywhere, and he's been going in his potty during the times I let him go diaperless. So we're on the road. He goes to a preschool for kids with disabilities (ds has a mild social and language delay and a feeding tube) and they don't required potty learning, so I figure he can go at his own pace, no problem. I imagine that if you are needing your kiddo to go to a preschool where it's required, that puts you in a pinch, but otherwise my recent experience is helping me to trust that most kids will eventually do this in their own time. (though of course lots of people told me the same thing about ds's language and I had to ignore them and get help, so please ignore me if you need to. )

EL- with a new baby in the house, you did NOT need this. Argh.

Sarah- I totally want to go see the swallows do their thing some time. A big family drama ensued last year when I wouldn't let F.I.L. take L out to see them cause it was too late at night, and he was getting sick so easily. I told him L could go this year, so I'd better call him soon.
#27 of 254 Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 AM

Emmalola, I am so sorry to hear about your brother, and your dog biting a cop. Grrr! That sucks. One of my brothers is an alcoholic and now he's within control but there have been moments where he was not, and my mother and I anguished about him and his life so much. It's so hard to watch someone destroy themselves, and I send you some hugs. Also, it is entirely possible that me and my goils could come visit you and your boys sometime between the 17th-20th of this month! Would you liiiiiike? I thought the trip would be rush-rush, but it looks like it's not going to be so bad.

what I want to know, sarahbee, this morning, is are you STILL feeling the effects of leSangria? : "wheat bread". Could you get more specific? Like, vegan-nun approved, or Costco? Inquiring minds want to know.:
#28 of 254 Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 AM

I was actually thinking of the yummy sammich thing as I went to bed last night and decided lightly toasted homemade banana bread w/ pb and chips would be the ultimate!!

EL--sorry the saga continues. Addictions sucks.

C's been pottying for a year or so too and likewise kind of figured it out on her own. We're just now working on bathroom independence w/ wiping, handwashing and such. And as soon as that gets figured out, next comes E! : Though her personality is way different and I'm not sure she'll be as easy as C was.

Lots to do today...grocery shopping done, Costco run next, lunch, PT for C, trader joe's, music therapy ....dinner in there somewhere, but no time for naps so I'm sure that won't be so much fun...fingers crossed for cat naps in the car! I made C a little calendar w/ velcro activities because she's always asking what we're doing today, Thursday, this week, etc. I enjoy the busy, but at the same time it's : when I'm feeling physically uncomfortable. I think there are only two days in all of September that we don't have anything scheduled.

#29 of 254 Old 09-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Funny how that sandwich has also captivted my attention. Banana bread indeed! If it werent' still hot (though less so than this weekend) I would go bake some right now with the PB and chocolate chips right in it.

EL - you definately did not need this.

I simply must clean my house or I will lose my mind!
#30 of 254 Old 09-04-2007, 01:43 PM

i'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! didya miss me?

our first weekend in our new beach house was glorious, but the first order for furniture is a dining table and chairs. toddler eating needs to be contained to a table instead of sitting on the floor, getting distracted by something so standing up and twirling around, taking a bite of food, wiping hands on carpet, etc. and crawling everywhere almost one year old needs containment device in a house with steps. and doors. and cabinets. must childproof.

but we had a ton of fun, nonetheless. i am torn about having the "internets" at the beach house. it was so nice to be without visual media, but with a cable modem or some such there, we might be able to stay there more days as bill would be able to do some work from "home." what to do, what to do... this is not the least of our worries. you know, that whole paying for the beach house thing kinda takes the cake on that one. but if even 20% of the weekends are like the one we just had, so totally worth it.

so every one is invited to come visit us. just not all at once. maybe one or two families at a time. or i might be able to accomodate the other three portland mmf. if we can ever coordinate our schedules again...

off to check in with our pdx west side crowd...

more later!

~claudia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page