baby doll names.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it would be fun to share the names our LO's give their baby dolls/stuffed animals/etc. I'm continually amazed at the names my girls come up with....

nonda
ausrey
cinda
bug
cutie
cutie's brother (they can't seem to give him a name)
robin hood

there are many others but their names change on a regular basis....

oh yeah, my 2.5 yr old just said her guardian angel's name is olivia.

stephanie asl.gif

#2 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 02:46 PM

cute thread idea

my son named his first doll Theresa, no idea where that came from!
my dd usually names her toys Sally and Tom or Rose Petal.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#3 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 03:04 PM

My daughter has only named a coupld bears, one is Sarah (which is HER name, lol) and one is Katherine (which is her Aunt's name.) She's not very creative in the naming department (yet.)

Mama of three.

#4 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 03:06 PM

For her third bday, dd1 received a baby doll that she promptly named "Chuhlily." (Chuh, like chuck + lily, like the flower) That name stuck for years!
#5 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 03:27 PM

All totally DD-generated:

Risa (the orignal and favorite)
Meetid (I have no idea -- the doll had this name before we left the store)
Chabby (she stole this from a friend)
Ashra (10 in arabic...I was teaching her to count in Arabic)
Mippy
Ella
Candy
Lily

And the lovely Waldorf-style organic doll that she recieved first that I'd hope she'd love? That one usually plays "the Daddy." I think it's name is "new baby" usually. Poor neglected doll!
#6 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 04:43 PM

Cute idea!

We have dolls
Madeline - name on her body
Amy - named after my friend
Baby Amy - tiny version of Amy
Andy - male version of baby Amy

My Little Ponies
Elizabeth - named for cousin
Rainbow -named for her hair color
Curly - her hair is curly
Flower - she has one on her hip

Stuffed animals

Felicia - no idea where that came from
Lady - from movie
Periwinkle - from Blues Clues
Lumpy - a "heffalump"
Murray - lumpy's mom, named for the wiggle
#7 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Well, we have several teddy bears named "Teddy" - they often have new names bestowed on them to fit the situation but they always seem to revert to Teddy. Or Bear.

We have dolls named Ruby, Daisy, Nancy, Willow and Muppet Mary. Mostly they're named after characters from books or friends, but I'm not sure where Muppet Mary came from. I asked DD2 how she thought of it, and she said she didn't know.

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
#8 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 09:45 PM

My son had 2 beloved dolls -- a soft stuffed one and a naked "bath" doll. He got them when he was too little to talk, but they cycled through 3 sets of names:

Jesus, and Naked Jesus -- yes, those where their names. Jesus got named at Christmas when he was almost 2 and there was a lot of talk about Baby Jesus. It made sense to me. THe problem was that when Jesus "misbehaved" (which he seemed to a lot -- DS was not the most patient parent) he'd yell at the doll "NO, JESUS!" and everyone in the vicinity would look at me like I was the worst parent in the world. I tried explaining (to strangers since he liked to bring Jesus to the mall and other locations) that he wasn't swearing, he was just using the baby's name, but no one believed me. Naked Jesus wasn't a problem because he lived in the bathtub, so only people who knew my family and knew I don't swear at my kids "met" him.

At about 2 1/2 he renamed them "Window" (the one with clothes) and "Watershelf" (the naked one). I have no idea where these names come from, but they were an improvement from Jesus in my mind, although not a big one.

Then at 3 he renamed them again Ketu (from Verna Aardema's What's So Funny Ketu, a great book BTW) and Obedi (from Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen's Mama Elizabeti another fantastic book). I really liked those names and he stuck with them until he kind of outgrew the dolls.
#9 of 70 Old 09-29-2007, 10:42 PM

DDs dolls have normal names....Audrey, Lola, Wendy, Nicky, and the only odd one is Peyton (which isn't really so odd)

What makes me laugh are the names she makes up for me to be called when we play make believe restaurant or what have you. I have no idea where she came up with these, but they are......Plarmy, Plormy, Corsi, and Porsi . She's grown out of this, but it still cracks me up to think of it. I could hardly keep a straight face when we played, but of course I didn't want to hurt her feelings of belittle her sense of imagination, so I chuckled inside and just played along.
#10 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 12:36 AM

oh yeah! when my son was around 3 and had just started talking, his names for every person he drew were Hee-bee-gee, Ho-boy, and So-goy. He also had this big orange ball, and he had an imaginary friend named Kanka who lived inside the ball. O-o weird but CUTE!!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#11 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 01:11 AM

my 4 yr old son names all of his dolls Lucy lol. not sure why. not even sure where he heard the name lol. but hes always called his dolls lucy, even his boy dolls lol
#12 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Will names for chickens count? My kids don't really name their toys so much but we have some bantam chickens that dd just loves on all the time. They are her pets. Dd has come up with some interesting ones but she has a reason for choosing each name.

Crown
Rocky Mountain High Alaska (a combo of John Denver lyrics I believe )
Brooke
Cutie
Lynn
Holly Berry
Chocolate

And she let ds name one, which he promptly christened T-Rex Roar because everything at that time was T-Rex Roar. If she asked him today he'd probably say Argentinasaurus.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#13 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 03:14 AM

My dd is into Kayla right now for MOST dolls. And then she changes it. "I decided I like her name to be...... Mayla." Ok, kid,whatever you say. (I have a 3 yr old cousin named Kayla that dd has never met, so I find this amusing that she likes and even knows the name.)

Her favorite teddy bear is named Cuddly (named last Dec 2 mos after she turned 5) and it fits. He is a snuggly bear. :

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#14 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 03:26 AM

The first and only babydoll that my daughter named and became attached to was when she was about 15 months old. She picked it up and said "Happy" at the store with her grandma, who bought it for her. After that she always called her Happy, and for over two years, we could not go anywhere without her. Happy was dropped into so many puddles getting out of the car, was once dropped on the subway tracks, but we always had to recover her. We still have her now, but she lives in dd's toybox. Despite many washes, she is filthy!

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#15 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 AM

My DD usually names them after cousins and friends from school and she changes them often but the main one is Tiffany, her cousin's name. And another one that she uses a lot is Jessica.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#16 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 10:15 AM

My son has 2 dolls, they are named Elizabeth (from Pirates of the Caribbean) and Gordon (who knows?)
His imaginary friend, who's been around for over 2 yrs., is named Apple.
#17 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Cute thread!

My older ds had a baby doll that he named Connor (a baby he met), then Kia Tanisha (book character), Sara (cousin), Harry Potter, and back to Connor. He had another doll named Glockley.

Younger ds named his dolls Lexi (my sister's dog) and Toby Diego (who knows!).
#18 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 10:44 AM

My 4 yo dd names her animals and dolls daily. She uses made up words and never remembers them later. Like, "His name is Blushaytopeeloom and this ones is Ooomkapu."

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#19 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Dd (almost 3yo) named her doll "baby Shirley" after our next door neighbor.
#20 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 11:04 AM

My dd has a baby doll that was baby for years (she got her when she was 2ish). Then when she was 4 she named the baby Rose because her outfit had roses on it.

She has imaginary friends named Molly, Alex, and Love.
#21 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

My son doesn't play with his dolls enough to bother naming them - he's far too busy. He does have a 2 feet tall dinosaur that he named Carlos though.
#22 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Dc's doll is named Joey.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#23 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 03:27 PM

DD has a doll named Inga amongst her many "friends"

DS got a stuffed penguin last Christmas that he named "Topper Wood" I have no idea where he came up with it!

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#24 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

DD#1s first baby dolls were named Charlotte and Charles. I believe it was after a doll from a book I was reading to her at the time (Little House on the Prarie I think). Later, she got a doll she named Lucy after the doll in Little Bear, because I was reading that to her at the time.

Unfortunately, Baby Charlotte got into an unfortunate accident, and couldn't be fixed. So, DD decided to rename Baby Charles Baby Charlotte. However, she couldn't replace her original Baby Charlotte, so the new Baby Charlotte's name was pronounced differently, with the CH sound like in Charles.

DD#2 named her stuffed lion Rory when she was 3 years old. She also had Hop and Luna, her Native American cloth dolls (mama wearing her baby on her back). She also had Baby Dirt Dirt, a doll she found in the yard that she liked to play with. Her favorite was Baby Chicken, that she got when I was pregnant with DS. Baby Chicken was just a regular baby doll. DD#2 was less than 2 years old at the time, and apparantly what she was TRYING to say when we asked her the baby's name was "Baby's Kickin'". Heh, I guess she heard that a lot.

DS has Cookie Monkey (he mispronounced Monkey as Cookie all the time), Cookie Monkey Jr., a bunch of different variants of his Cookie Monkeys, and Baby Craig Dylan.
#25 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Mine wont name them she totally mothers hers but shes just looks at me and says his name is Baby like I'm nuts for not knowing this. sometimes in the moment shes will say pretend babies name is.. and usally names them after her cousins.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#26 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My son used to have a stuffed hedgehog he called "Hedgie" and a teddybear he still sleeps with (shhhhhhh........) named "Steenie Bear" because my brother, Steven, gave it to him, back when he wasn't old enough to pronounce "Steven"- it always came out "Steenie".

My little girl has had a baby doll named "Baby" and a stuffed frog named... you guessed it, "Froggy". Every other doll was "Sarah" and then "Ashley" and now they are either "Hannah" or "Miley", but I think she's starting to outgrow baby dolls. She still plays with the one she named "Krissy" (after me ), though.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#27 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 PM

Our almost 6 year old has a teddy bear he got on his first birthday that is "My Teddy" and a small stuffed puppy named "Puppy".

Our 4 year old has an almost identical teddy bear to her brother's (hers is pink and his is brown) and it's also called, "My Teddy".

Other than that their dollie names are descriptive -ie we have a bear with a heart on it and that is "Heart Bear".

Any dalmation dog DD calls 'dog puppy'. She believes that Dog Puppy is the name of the breed.

There is a friendly stray that comes around that DS named Mr No Name.

We are super-creative name givers over here.

Oh, and the baby - all of her babies (which means anyone she is holding) is Mine.
#28 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post
My son used to have a stuffed hedgehog he called "Hedgie" and a teddybear he still sleeps with (shhhhhhh........) named "Steenie Bear" because my brother, Steven, gave it to him, back when he wasn't old enough to pronounce "Steven"- it always came out "Steenie".
He's 12? That is the most sweetest thing I have heard today! Our almost 6 year old has a teddy bear that he likes to snuggle with. He is so cute when he's curled up with My Teddy at night.
#29 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsume View Post
He's 12? That is the most sweetest thing I have heard today!
He would be so embarrassed if he knew I told.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#30 of 70 Old 09-30-2007, 06:23 PM

DD's first doll was baptised Gordon (I think she may have been trying to say 'Golden' but we called it Gordon for years )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page