~Just waiting for the new October Feather, May 04 Mamas~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post
and then I had visions of produce creeping quietly around corners to check on Heath. :::
: :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM

yeah well this luxurious mamalife isnt' the most financially savvy thing. i logged on yesterday to see -$32 in the bank. transferred the last leeetle bit of money out of savings to get us back in the green. i'm hoping doug gets paid friday.

juice - getting up at 4:30 is tooo early. and i'm guessing you didn't get to go take a nice nap at your daycare provider's.

ebin is nap-fighting on the couch right now...shaking his head back and forth. no sleep no sleep shake shake. ah-ha! sweet slumber.
#123 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Really wanting Heath to just have that baby (as long as you're feeling well and rested, of course). Like the celery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
I wish I had the mama life sometimes. I mean, no other money obligations besides good care of my children. That's the part that draaaaags me dooooown. I'm sure I'd still be dancing (teaching & performing for $$) anyway, though, which has been most of my work over the last month (yay!).
I suppose that's a bit of a reality check for the rest of us. I love, love, love to hear about the dancing etc, but I wish things weren't tight for you.

Terribly sorry for L (and Beth) and Isaac (and Ebin and Jess) re the bee. I was *terrified* of them when I was small, too (and yes, because I was stung once).

Ferny, sorry about the dairy, but yeah, staying away is sometimes pretty darned effective.

I submitted my resume for that job yesterday. I'm practically having anxiety attacks about it... Just a lot of potential change, and I don't deal so well with change (esp. not so much at once).

In other news, L had her developmental evaluation this morning, and they've greenlighted her for speech therapy (and there's some thought that there's a little oral something going on, too, which has to do with her response to food textures and other stuff, but a speech therapist should be able to handle *that*). I'm not surprised, and I'm relieved it will be covered by the state program. But it's just one more thing, if you know what I mean.
#124 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 05:04 PM

kk--- I was just wondering today as I was cleaning up from lunch...how L was doing w/ feeding/oral issues. Glad the ST services will be there, but totally get how it's one more thing. E is really stalling w/ weight/intake. When you have a spare second or two (ha! ) I might pick your brain OY about thoughts on that (normal toddler slowdown vs needing a calorie boost) or just feel free to ramble on that subject here.

My brain is total fluff today. Must go wake the girlies from naps and feed an early dinner (yay Annie's) and get to music....

I am totally over the nesting thing, but am making myself clean/re-order things anyway in hopes of tricking my body. Yeah right! :

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#125 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM

cross-posted to pdx thread:
so like 20 minutes after our friend nadine left our house with her girls, marek was playing with some toys and stefan tried to grab some and marek got frustrated and his modus operandi when he gets frustrated is to start flailing around and flop himself all over. so he did that and pushed stefan away and then sat down on his bum ON TOP of stefan's bum, pushing stefan's mouth onto the corner of the table. stefan's mouth immediately filled with blood and he was screaming. i took off all his clothes and got him in the tub so i could at least wipe away the blood and maybe get him to drink some water to wash away the blood so he wouldn't swallow too much of it and the bleeding slowed down. his lip on the right side top is swollen and he's got a huge blood clot over where he is working on his two new teeth, and the bang might have actually brought one of the teeth through the gums. i gave him some homeopathic arnica pellets crushed up to help with the swelling, and his mood is good. my stomach is all twisted up and i feel ill just thinking about it. marek definitely doesn't get the potential seriousness of what just happened, and that irritates me and makes me mad at him. bill came home while stefan was in the tub, thank goodness, and is watching them both right now while i sit here and breathe and type this.

i have a call in to our naturopath, who actually hasn't even seen stefan yet, and i think i will probably call our chiro since she has office hours tomorrow.

anything else i can do for him? he won't really let us see in his mouth and i don't know what else might be helpful homeopathically or otherwise.

~claudia
#126 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 PM

Poor S!! Arnica is the only thing I can think of. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Hope he isn't in too much pain.

#127 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 PM

OH, Claudia, how awful! I am reading now the "mom, jason's breathing on me" book (maybe you've already read it?) and it draws the line at harm/injury between siblings, the idea being to let the kids know that it is never ever okay to cause harm. Not sure how it could be transmitted to M so much after the fact, and there is a way to say it so that it's not about whose side you are on (the big message of the book).
Regardless, I think the medical steps you are taking sound like just the right ones.
#128 of 317 Old 10-16-2007, 11:50 PM

Gotta go, but a quick hug for TC, and I hope E is ok in the gaining dept, and glad L's getting help but TOTALLY get the 1 more thing issue. KK I hope whatever is best happens with the job sitch. Oh, and jstar I'm SO sorry about I's being traumatized.

Peace out!
#129 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 AM

TC!! I'm glad Stefan is OK. It's so scary - mouth injuries bleed SO much, and it's so hard to see what's going on. Sounds like you handled it more than well. Good thinking on the arnica - I never think about things like that until about three days later. How's everyone today?
#130 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Saying : today!
#131 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM

yipes that sounds scary. how's S doing today? i like elsanne's suggestions. talk about it with M today when everyone's calm just in a 'we all have to be very careful around small guys because they can fall over and get hurt SO easily' that way he doesn't feel it is punative but you stress the gravity of it

i'm sure we'll have that going on around here soon enough

my fingers are crossed for the job kk. that would be a huge change but it might be fun and challenging!

i'm realizing very seriously that our trip to CO should not happen. i have a loan on my 401K that will be a distribution this year and i'm going to have to pay taxes and penalty next spring. so any money i get paid this year should probably go into savings for that instead of paying for a vacation. : when did i get so responsible????? i *so* want to go but i know it would be foolish.
#132 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Wow, poor M!!!! Yes, blood from anywhere around the mouth is COPIOUS. I still feel scarred by a fall I witnessed at the playground a few years ago. I myself have a hard time when a sib is deliberately mean, esp. to a younger sib. (It's the way to get this mommy MAD.)

Jess, I understand the realities of the trip not happening. Would have been fun, though!

Ug, found out from a friend of mine (who was denied tenure last spring; she's basically got this last year on her contract to find another job) that her husband just got the axe, too. I feel terrible for her. (And I realize that our situation is not quite as sucky; we're 2 people looking for 1 job, while they're 2 people now looking for 2 jobs.) I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but no matter how bad things are for oneself, there's always someone who has it worse (translation: trying to get out of my pity party ).

Where's Renae? (Thinking of other lurky May Mamas, too. You know who you are. )
#133 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Oh, TC, I'm so sorry about the owies. I'm sure you're doing everything you can, so I won't offer any unhelpful advice.

just another quick update: the MIL is gone, gone gone! Toward the end she started saying things like "IF I ever visit again..." (instead of "when") and being generally negative about everything good in our lives. It was really hard for me and I almost, almost lost it on her at the restaurant the night before she left. She said some really nasty things to sweets also, so we're all just breathing a sigh of relief.

That is, until this afternoon, when my mom arrives. Yep, my mom actually moved here from Alaska, after a lot of talk. So my mom is going to be down the road and hopefully she's going to learn to be a helpful mom and loving grandma, although I have a feeling it's going to be a rough transition. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The lentil is doing very well with big-brotherhood. He is finally learning to be gentle around the baby, and he frequently washes hands without even getting prompted just so he can hold the baby for a minute. The jealousy thing hasn't really been bad- mostly he just wants to get attention at the same time as the baby, but he's pretty good about delayed gratification so the peanut can finish nursing. He has been very clingy about the boobs, even though he hasn't nursed in a year and a half and doesn't even remember what it was like to nurse. He likes to touch and hold my chest whenever he can, and I try to put up with it to a certain degree.

The peanut is now 8 weeks! how did that happen? I'm starting to gear up again with the dissertation, although I don't feel really ready to actually put the baby in any sort of formal daycare so I can get some significant work done. We'll see how that pans out in the next few months. It would be nice if we could work some sort of plan that allows me to work without paying for daycare. money is getting tight with two niblets around, you know? Anyway, the peanut is smiling and makes this weird gasping sound that makes me think he's trying to laugh. He loves to swing in his swing and doesn't mind being held by anyone other than me. Such a relief. I'm realizing what a high-needs baby the lentil was in comparison.

But I have to go nurse, then shop for groceries, then meet my mom with some lunch. wish us luck!
#134 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Awww emmalola good to get an update from you and HALLE-FRICCIN-LUJAH about MIL being gone. UGH. Sounds awful, and I have had some pretty awful in-law things.

I sure wish I'd had time to come see you and meet the littlest legume.
Next time!
#135 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

ugh, elola. Your MIL sounds like a real treat. My IL's have done some very very hurtful things to my dh, and I never understand how parents can treat their children that way. I mean, I wouldn't say such awful things to a stranger, let alone a son or daughter. What gives? I'm sorry you and sweets had to endure it.

Heath, I neeeeed to know where you got those bins in the background of the sweet vid of C on your blog. Please don't say Ikea, 'cuz I don't have one near me.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best in regards to the job sitch, KK!

TC, How's the little man doing today? I hope he's healing up well. Do you have a dentist perhaps you could see to make sure there was no damage to the tooth itself?

renae and ducette, where are you mamas?
#136 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Sherri----doh! Ikea it is! Guess you'll just have to come visit! We use them for toys and recycling.

I'm over yesterday's pity party and ready to get the show on the road. My 'bet' w/ DH was for tomorrow, he says Saturday.

#137 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM

little one is doing fine today. napping as i type, but will likely wake shortly. blood clot on gum is not quite so huge today as it was an hour after it happened, but it still looks owie. chiro appt this morning, and he's extremely nervous around new folks right now, and we haven't seen her in forever, so she invited us back to do a few short visits over the next few days, all billed under today's visit, just so we can keep him in a good mood about seeing her. it seems like he's gearing up for a growth spurt or maybe just completed one and is just getting used to slightly different lengths of legs/arms/body parts and is especially clumsy because of it. anyways, he's okay, but i still feel sick to my stomach about it all. i know he'll be all right, but i really don't know how to handle it with marek. i don't expect him to fully understand the gravity and seriousness and potential danger of the situation, but this pattern of frustration leads to flailing about is one we REALLY need to get out of. i realized much later in the afternoon that he really had to poop and was too busy playing to be bothered with going to the potty, and this was also the likely culprit of heightened reaction to frustration. like father and mother, like son, i guess...

okay, need lunch.

*mwah*

~claudia
#138 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM

yeah, where are renae & danile? Been missing you two...

TC-sorry about the owie. I hope it's all better now.

G has a runny nose today, so I'm hoping A doesn't get it (or me).

emmalola-glad MIL left and your mom is coming. we'd love it if my mom moved here, but since we're not too settled ourselves, we'd better hold off on encouraging her to move!

kk-good luck w/the job!

it's rainy here....

i'm typing one-handed while on the phone listening to my sister talk...
#139 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM

oh and forgot to mention that the chiro said that if he did damage the tooth(teeth) and/or the nerve(s), we likely wouldn't know until a few years from now anyway, so although dentist seems like a good idea, won't help much.

needy babe

~c
#140 of 317 Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM

Hi loves-

I'm sitting here at the hospital, on call. I have to figure out how I'm going to sleep here and actually get any rest. It's so _loud_ here. Makes absolutely no sense, if you ask me. Shouldn't L&D be _quieter_ than other floors??

Heather - I'm rooting for tomorrow!

KK - thinking of you and potential big changes. Exciting, scary stuff, mama.

Claudia - glad things are getting better for little bro. Those things are really scary. So glad it wasn't any worse.

Good to hear from you, emmalola, and you too, Jacquie. A big hi to everyone else, Sorry I have been MIA a lot lately. Life is so crazy. I keep saying that every quarter, but I think this quarter is truly the worst so far. I actually have to schedule in sleep some weeks.

I think Lily is reacting negatively to my being gone a lot. We've had to do some creative childcare because our nanny is now in school, too, so often Lily will have 2 people come over in one day, and often one parent is working in the evening, too, so she's not allowed to "bother" whomever is working. She often gets ornery and argumentative as soon as I get home, when she's been perfectly great all day. It makes me sad, but I keep telling myself it won't be forever. It has been a long time, though. I do have all day tomorrow with her. I just hope I get some sleep tonight!

OK, love to all - I'm going to go take a nap before anything else happens.

S.
#141 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 AM

Ugh, Sarah-Lou, I know that swift-change-of-behavior-once-mama-arrives. WE get that a lot here.

Hang in there, and try to feed and nourish the relationship as much as you can. It's a hard time for all.
#142 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM

i'm awaiting a landscaper. yay! i hope he can help with our current state of disarray. i'm also awaiting the windstorm.

that sucks sarah it's hard. when will you be graduating?

i'm kind of surprised it is loud in L&D because i thought it was surprisingly quiet in the room when i stayed there. like i would expect to hear a lot of screaming and/or commotion but i didn't hear much of anything. are they expecting you to sleep in some area where you can hear everyone in the halls?

ebin mr. so far easy baby is getting harder to put down at night. and waking more. he just doesn't succumb to the newborn sleepies like he used to dangit :

kk - you *are* lucky you're 2 people looking for one job. stressful but manageable!

i haven't done a whole lot of work this month. i *could* be doing some today. (i should). but i need to work on halloween costumes after the landscaper visit.
#143 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Where's that baby????

EL, I think you're in a race with Heath for "dealing with the most ornery relations" prize. (Winning this category is no prize...)

TC, just be glad that whatever potential damage it is, it's to a BABY tooth. (Small consolation, but still...)

Wave to Jacquie, Sherri! (Lurkers: I know you're out there.)

MCSB: I think you're getting "punished", and I'm sorry. Are you going to be *done* after this year? I know this isn't much consolation (my skill today), but it seems like kids this age are way more adaptable than older kids. Translation: Lily may not like your busyness now, but it could be worse later! :

(I'll 2nd that it was super quiet in L&D--also PP for me.)

Ug--the dh of my friend, the guy who got the ax... he got zero severance. *Nice.* : Looking a lot more rosy around here after I heard that. Still haven't heard from the firm, and of course I'm antsy when the phone rings, when the mail comes, etc. Sent inquiry about teaching microbiology again come spring. Dh and I are really talking about all the options, all the flexibility, incl. each of us working part-time (the biggest benefit to me teaching is being able to buy into to group-rate benefits). Part of me is really freaked out, but we're very stable, so it could be a good transition to better things.
#144 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 PM

Baby is staying put for the foreseeable future it seems!

#145 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM

jstar, I was at OHSU L&D yesterday. Very loud.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, everyone. KK, DH and my mom both keep telling me the same thing - that it is hard now, but it is better now than when she's 6-12 or whatever. I hear that, but it doesn't make it easier for *me* right now. I graduate in June, and hopefully then my schedule will be more sane. Depending on what type of job I get, it may be a 9-5, or may be a typical mw schedule with a couple of clinic days and either 1 or 2 24-hr call shifts a week. Some practices do 12-hr shifts, too, so that would mean more days but no 24-hour chunks.

Hoping for easy quick baby vibes, HF!

S.
#146 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM

yes, my thinking exactly.

found the coolest dresser on CL for the beach house. went to look at it today and gave them a deposit and going back to pick it up saturday. woohoo!

now if i could only score some bunk beds before other people keep snatching them up before i can even call about them...
#147 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
[COLOR=navy]Wave to Jacquie, Sherri! (Lurkers: I know you're out there.)
You love me, you really REALLY love me. ::

Not much going on here. Katie's class took a field trip to the apple orchard today. We rode on a hayride. I can't remember the last time I rode on a hayride! We had a great time, and bought lots more apples, even though we have a bag already in our fridge. My dh makes the best applesauce, so I think I might have him make some this weekend. We've already made apple crisp a few times this year, but I love it so much we'll probably make more.

It's my good TV watchin' night. Grey's Anatomy, ER. I'll turn into a vegetable!

Boy, do I really have nothing better to say, I'm talking about my TV night? I'll make you sorry you ever pulled me out of lurkdom, KK!
#148 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Sherri---have him make a nice chunky applesauce and I'll send you my yummo muffin recipe! And then send some here!

Off to watch the red sox and hope for the best!

claudia--we so totally need beach house pics one of these days!

#149 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post

Off to watch the red sox and hope for the best!
Me too! I have a feeling Juice is not rooting for the same team as us though! :

What's this about the muffin recipe? Will I be privy to its secretive yummy goodness?
#150 of 317 Old 10-18-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
TC, just be glad that whatever potential damage it is, it's to a BABY tooth. (Small consolation, but still...)
meant to quote this earlier, but apparently i was too distracted.

and the "yes, my thinking exactly" was supposed to go with this quote.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page