last minute 4 yo girl b-day ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my dd1's bday is next week. Looking for good gift ideas.

I was thinking of making up a very beginner sewing basket (burlap, big plastic needles, what else? where to buy?)

midwife/naturopath/dr kit (stethoscope, blood pressure monitor, what else? where to buy?)

Any ideas appreciated.
#2 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

#3 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, then....heading on over to invisible posters and thread killers....
#4 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 04:31 PM

I dunno, we are pretty physical so I am always buying them sporting goods.

If my daughter wants something with small pieces I would want her to come up with that initiative, since she will not always clean it up.

DD just turned 4. She likes what she got from her friends at her party, like princess dress up accessories, stamp kits, books, jewelry, ...

She is more into the Leappad now and computer games (like Starfall and educational cd-roms) than six months ago.

She has a bike and razor scooter that get good use. She still plays with her baby doll. She's learning to skate, but that's more me than her since I'd like to be able to go to the ice rinks this fall/winter.

She enjoys gymnastics class, ballet/tap class and choir.

Hope this helps somehow.
#5 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlec View Post
I was thinking of making up a very beginner sewing basket (burlap, big plastic needles, what else? where to buy?)
I have seen these at JoAnn Fabric, but, personally I would think a fresh 4 year old is too young for this.

How about Hullaballoo? It's so fun and age appropriate.
Or take her to Libby LU for a fabulous makeover!
Or take her out to a children's theater. Just the two of you, and go for ice cream after.
Just a thought, HTH.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#6 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Anything about horses.
#7 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well my dd is learning to sew w/ yarn on burlap at school, and her teacher suggested this would make a nice gift for her, as she seems to enjoy it. We're going to have a special day together, but I wanted to get her a little something as well. She does like dress-up, is (thankfully) not into princess stuff, and we don't do screen time for her yet, or marketed characters.

Does anyone know what would be in an ND kit or have ideas on how to put one together?

Thank you again for your ideas!
#8 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just Googled Libby Lu to find out what it was. What it looked like to me was bubblegumpopculturesexobjectdiva-fication. Bleh. :
#9 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 07:29 PM

We are screen, character and plastic toy free as wella nd my daughter was 4 this past summer.

This is the year that she's really gotten into make believe play and role playing. So, she loves her wooden cash register and we set up a little shelf with baskets and felted food and steel pots and pans.

She also loves dress up and does loads with her play silks.

Art supplies and gardening tools are always a big hit with her.

She is newly into play mothering so we are going to get her a doll and a cradle for Christmas.

I assume more people haven't answered because we don't know your little girl and kids are all so different!
#10 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Gardening tools! Yes! A great idea....we've been wanting to beautify our tiny plot of earth.
#11 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Definitelty art supplies. And lotsa, lotsa tape. I think clothes and books are nice gifts, too.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#12 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 10:58 PM

Dollhouse
Art supplies
Puzzles
Books
Dress up clothes

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#13 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Art supplies are a really good idea. She especially loves tape. We are in a small living space and believe that less is often more when it comes to things like crayons (e.g., prefer combining colors in an 8-pack to create more, than giving a 64 pack) Any ideas on what art supplies, how to organize them?
#14 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 AM

I am giving my DD, soon to be 4 a beaded bag from the recycle shop
envelopes, blank cards (we will decorate ourselves) and sticker stamps+
we can write Thank-you cards with them
if you don`t already have one a weighted tape disprnser, or tape refills, my girl loves her tape
I like the sewing kit idea, we are into making yarn snakes over here.
Kathryn
#15 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 AM

My DD just turned 4 and these are some of her faves:

Art supplies (stamp kits, markers, paints, nice heavy duty paper)
Anything horse related
Dress up clothes (not princess stuff BTW, she likes her chef outfit, her doctor outfit, her pirate outfit, and oddly enough a dinousaur costume we've aquired)
Magnetic Paperdolls (Melissa and Doug make some nice ones)
Felt Playsets (she has a really nice felt Playhouse Book)
Books for reading/practicing reading and chapter books for us to read together
Finger Puppets
Jigsaw Puzzles

FWIW, my DD has a little sewing kit, and for us, its a PITA......she's very easily frustrated and it usually leads to tears here.
#16 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 04:40 PM

one of DD's favorite birthday presents that she received when she turned 4 was a hand-made chef's hat and apron that a friend of ours made for her. she has a play kitchen that she loves to play in, and being able to put on that chef's hat and apron and really act the part is something she just adores.

if your DD doesn't have a play kitchen or wooden play food, those are fantastic. my kids spend hours upon hours with that stuff. i have their play kitchen set up in the dining area attached to our real kitchen, so they often play in there while i'm cooking, cleaning, etc. loads of fun.

as for the doctor's kit, i believe Magic Cabin has a nice one... can't remember what all is in it, but i remember eying it a while back. i'm sure it's on their website. you could probably make your own, but that would give you a good idea of what to include.
#17 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
as for the doctor's kit, i believe Magic Cabin has a nice one... can't remember what all is in it, but i remember eying it a while back. i'm sure it's on their website. you could probably make your own, but that would give you a good idea of what to include.
Funny because my daughter has never asked for a specific toy before but she's been asking for a doctor's kit for a couple of weeks now.

There is a lovely one by Haba:
http://www.oompa.com/cgi-bin/item/HA1496A
#18 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I just Googled Libby Lu to find out what it was. What it looked like to me was bubblegumpopculturesexobjectdiva-fication. Bleh. :

Gee, I hope, for your own sake that you are able to protect your DD from this type of "bubblegumpopculturesexobjectdiva-fication" forever.
I don't necessarily like/agree with this either, but I'm also not a four year old girl. I'm just a mom of three girls who enjoys seeing them happy, including one with special needs who doesn't get all that excited about many things.
You could probably take your DD to your own salon for a makeover, she's surely to find a nice brush or something!

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#19 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathinJapan View Post
I am giving my DD, soon to be 4 a beaded bag from the recycle shop
envelopes, blank cards (we will decorate ourselves) and sticker stamps+
we can write Thank-you cards with them
if you don`t already have one a weighted tape disprnser, or tape refills, my girl loves her tape
I like the sewing kit idea, we are into making yarn snakes over here.
Kathryn
I love these ideas. I am definitely going to get a weighted tape dispenser.

How do you make yarn snakes?
#20 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 PM

We bought a small plastic tub (with latching lid) to keep Ina's art supplies in (with a 1 year old sister, it's challenging to keep them safe). This keeps them very centrally located and organized. We have a pencil box (with colored pencils in it, I found some erasible ones); tempera paints and paint brushes (challenging but found both at WalMart and NOT MIC (I had to look though); watercolor paints; side walk chalk. Also Play-doh and crayons, of course; and washable markers too.

Crayola does have quite a few things which aren't MIC - "Made in Canada" instead; or USA - but components may have come from China KWIM?

We got Ina a jump ball (the kind with a handle you can sit on and jump on), that's what she requested. Also some glow-in-the-dark stars for her ceiling, and a TON of preschool workbooks (she loves these). Priddy Books has some wipe-off books which are counting and alphabet that she adores using. These are, unfortunately, MIC.

For Christmas, we are looking at kitchen stuff - Ina already has aprons and loves to cook with me, but to get her "her own" stuff.

Also, if you don't have Duplos/Legos, she may enjoy those. Ina is not a girly-girl, and most days she plays with her duplos for several hours. She has a blast with them.

ETA: If she likes the sewing at daycare, she may enjoy those small looms to weave potholders etc. with? That might make XMas gifts easier for her to do too, she could make things with the loom.

Not all who wander are lost.
#21 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach View Post
Gee, I hope, for your own sake that you are able to protect your DD from this type of "bubblegumpopculturesexobjectdiva-fication" forever. I don't necessarily like/agree with this either, but I'm also not a four year old girl. I'm just a mom of three girls who enjoys seeing them happy, including one with special needs who doesn't get all that excited about many things.
You could probably take your DD to your own salon for a makeover, she's surely to find a nice brush or something!
I enjoy seeing my dd happy, too. So I want to encourage her to recognize her beauty and intrinsic worth without being 'made over'. The idea that a child of 4 is too young for a sewing kit, but old enough for a makeover is really astonishing to me, and does not match my idea of natural family living.
#22 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I enjoy seeing my dd happy, too. So I want to encourage her to recognize her beauty and intrinsic worth without being 'made over'. The idea that a child of 4 is too young for a sewing kit, but old enough for a makeover is really astonishing to me, and does not match my idea of natural family living.
I'm with you! No way would I take my 4 year old to Libbie Lou. I think they also get socialized into what they like and do not like. My child would not 'get' the point of a makeover. I think girls who get prettied up and then approved of for it are the girls who like makeovers, etc. Especially at such a young age!

(I'm lurking on this thread coz mine is about to turn 4 as well. I bought her a bunch of paints and paint brushes and a big roll of paper. I'm also going to get other craft supplies, and I'm heading out to Scholar's Choice on Tuesday morning to see what they have got.

She has this thing at her dad's place called Connectors... looks like straws and little joiny-thingies. She can make huge constructions with it and loves it. Maybe your girlie would too?)
#23 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

If anyone is interested, what I ended up getting for dd was a Melissa and Doug lacing kit with hole-punched animal shapes to lace colored shoe laces through. We also gave her a paint set and a birdhouse to paint and then hang in the tree in front of where we live. And I'm happy to say they were her favorite gifts! (also received: molding sand, M & D beading kit, floor puzzle, book, clothes)

I'm keeping the doc kit, tape/art supplies, sewing, garden tools ideas for Christmas.

Thanks to everyone for taking time to post your ideas! Feel free to post more for anyone's future reference.
#24 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

thismama, thanks for the connectors idea. DD needs something like that to work w/, I think. She has blocks but shows no interest in building w/ them.
#25 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Also picked up some more dress up for her at a rummage sale. And a big part of her gift was my staying up most of the night organizing and putting her baby pictures in albums so she could see herself over the past 4 years (only had from 18 mos. to 4 yrs in albums previously, so she never only got to look at herself as a baby on the computer (digi photos).
#26 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Yarn snakes are those long crocheted strings... you can also do them on your fingers. Maya came home from preshool doing them. It is just the basic crochet stich done in a long snake thingy. I posted on yarn crafts and some people us them to wrap presents or to make garlands out of for the holidays.

Maya`s birthday was yesterday, she loved her card kit. She is into sewing a bit, I take postcards (old recycled ones) and punch holes in them, then she sews/laces up around the shapes. I will look for some burlap type material at the sewing shop, I think she would like to do more... also some ribbon to sew with might be fun.

For some of her supplies I took a plastic bottle and cut off the top, then put some tape around the rough edge. Then Maya but some beads on a wire and I made a handle for it.

I live in Japan, don`t know what this tape is called in English, but it is colorful and sort of like contact paper...

Have started thinking of Christmas already.She is getting into games more, so thinking of copying off some BINGO games from the computer and laminating the pieces. DLTK site has some fun ones.

Kathryn
#27 of 28 Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach View Post
Gee, I hope, for your own sake that you are able to protect your DD from this type of "bubblegumpopculturesexobjectdiva-fication" forever.
I don't necessarily like/agree with this either, but I'm also not a four year old girl. I'm just a mom of three girls who enjoys seeing them happy, including one with special needs who doesn't get all that excited about many things.
This type of mentality is a perfect example of the New MDC and exactly why some of us older members just don't get involved. BLEH!

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
#28 of 28 Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnE73 View Post
This type of mentality is a perfect example of the New MDC and exactly why some of us older members just don't get involved. BLEH!
Couldn't have said it any better or nicer myself! Mlec, I'm glad to hear you found an acceptable gift.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page