Scouting Alternatives? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my older daughter is soon to be five, and I think she would really really enjoy some form of scouting or other group. I'm looking into Girl Scouts, Spiral Scouts (although we're not pagan), and Roots & Shoots... are there other groups along these lines? If we did R&S, which is a strong possibility, we'd have to start our own group, which I'm not opposed to. But I definitely want to know ALL the options before I commit myself (and my family) to something like that.

Also, anyone have any experience with Girl Scouts? I wasn't involved with it growing up, so I dont' know much about it. I know the younger groups do some crafts, Brownies wear brown uniforms, and Daisies don't sell cookies... that's the extent of what I know. And badges, you get badges for completing different things. LOL The most I know comes from the movie Troop Beverly Hills - so you can see I'm pretty ignorant! We're a pretty crunchy, unschooling family - could Daisy Scouts be a good fit for us even though we're not very mainstream?

TIA!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#2 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 AM

Besides the ones you mentioned maybe campfire USA. I saw blurbs for Roots and shoots on cable one day.It showed some of the activites the kids did.I really liked the one where they grew pumpkins,and then donated the seeds to the local wildlife rehab center for the orphan squirrels.

We just started with GS and I am not sure what I think of it. It does have a lot of selling stuff like our local school,and we have to pay per meeting on top of donating food/drink to the group.Gets to be a lot all at once.
#3 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
Also, anyone have any experience with Girl Scouts? I wasn't involved with it growing up, so I dont' know much about it. I know the younger groups do some crafts, Brownies wear brown uniforms, and Daisies don't sell cookies... that's the extent of what I know. And badges, you get badges for completing different things. LOL The most I know comes from the movie Troop Beverly Hills - so you can see I'm pretty ignorant! We're a pretty crunchy, unschooling family - could Daisy Scouts be a good fit for us even though we're not very mainstream?
I'm with you. I know very little about girl scouts. I had a friend a few years ago whose older daughter got involved in GS when she was 8 years old and liked it. Her mom was expected to do things each month with the girls as far as group outings. They also had an overnight camp each summer. But that may have been for the older girls. I just don't know much about it to say. I am currently interested in joining my DD though. I want to wait until she matures a little more, maybe at age 6 or 7.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#4 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 03:44 PM

There should be some other threads addressing this. The YMCA has a scouting program also. 4-H is a nice group. GSA has some definite advantages. They're large, lots of resources, good camps, and they aren't discriminatory -- if you couldn't be a GS leader if you were gay, their org would crumble.

Since my kids spend a great deal of time in individual classes -- UU RE, choir, gymnastics, dance -- I probably won't put them in scouting young. I will likely find a regular volunteer project for them to participate in. Otherwise maybe evaluation scouting when they are old enough to want to camp / go to camp.
#5 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 04:46 PM

I was a girl scout from 3rd? through 8th grade and loved it. We went camping, did community service, went ice skating, did crafts, etc. I went to girl scouts summer camp, which was really fun, too. I won't put my boys in boy scouts because they are homophobic, but I think girl scouts are awesome. Of course, it all depends on the troop leader-- my little sister did it for a year or two and they didn't do anything fun.
#6 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 PM

I was a Brownie and a girl scout and I don't remember much about it. My daughter's school just started a Brownie troop and I got suckered into being a leader.

Surprisingly, I absolutely love it. I love values, we don't have an emphasis on selling anything (although we're new, and haven't had a cookie sale yet) and we are working on promoting the idea that girls are strong, intelligent, and we need to take care of our earth.

We do projects at each meeting that go towards earning a badge, and we get to choose which badge we want to work on. There are ones about the environment, using our resources wisely, helping others, volunteering, cleaning the earth, art stuff, health stuff, cooking, there are so many.

The girls pay dues at the meetings, but that covers their uniforms, snacks, and badges. We are making it very reasonable for the families. I'm impressed by the quality of GSA and the programs they have to offer troops.

Brownies is for 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders, most of our girls are about 7. They have really been enjoying it so far.

Just my two cents, good luck making a decision.

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page