Cranium Fort? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering getting this for the kids, 2.5 and newly 5. Do your kids play with it? Is it worth the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 AM

I got it on big sale at Target. Yes, the kids play with it, but I have older ones that are able to put together the super structures. I think yours might be a bit young.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Too old for them, eh... hmm. My (almost) 5 yo is pretty good at stuff like this, so I was thinking he could put it together and the 2 yo could just play in it when it was done. But you think it's too old for the 5 yo?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 AM

Ours didn't hold up. DS broke most of the connecting posts within a couple of months.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 AM
Banned

We have it, but it's defiinitely a parent-child interaction toy/project until they are older. My DS1 is almost-5 and he got it for his 4th birthday, and we have mostly had him direct us building forts for him to play in for an afternoon, which we then take down together and put away.

6 and up, though, I think he'll be able to handle the fort by himself.

Maura
Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM

We have it and I can't recommend it. I thought it looked great and it still seems to me like it should be a perfect toy for my child (age 7), but she really doesn't play with it. Just last night she was building a playhouse with a blanket over chairs and our dog was interfering. I suggested she play with the Cranium Fort but she didn't want to. She ended up playing in her "book nook" (a place dh set up for her with bookshelves on three sides and then she puts a door in front that she made out of a cardboard box). I guess my child is just more into throw together things you find out around the house kind of forts. I think I would have loved the Cranium fort as a child!

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Wow, totally different experince here.

My kids are 6 & 8 and love it. Their kids love it, and we have had kids as young as 3-4 putting them together (not complicated ones, of course). We use playsilks as extra room dividers and, in fact, the kids have asked for MORE super fort pieces.

DS got this 2 years ago when it was not owned by Cranium yet, though. We have only had one of the orange pieces crack (it is still usable, but the inner support broke) and DS is ROUGH on his toys. Now I'm worried the quality went down when Cranium bought it.

Oh, DD loves to build them and make them her "library" where you check books out from, or a store, or a ...

Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauncourt View Post
We have it, but it's defiinitely a parent-child interaction toy/project until they are older. My DS1 is almost-5 and he got it for his 4th birthday, and we have mostly had him direct us building forts for him to play in for an afternoon, which we then take down together and put away.

6 and up, though, I think he'll be able to handle the fort by himself.

Maura
Dsd got this for Christmas last year....she had just turned 7 (12/24) and she was able to handle it ok...she def needed daddy to help but on the other end of the spectrum, if you have a child who is already actively doing this sort of thing with blankets, chairs and the like, it may be easier for them to put together. DD was 2 1/2 at the time and had a blast crawling and sitting in it. She still does....

I would only recommend it at this age if you plan to help out a whole lot and do most of the building....it's easy for them to take apart.....
Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM

mine are 5 and almost 3 and both enjoy it. though we just got it. the almost 3 year old builds a lot with it, keeps on adding tubes, and enjoyes himself. DD likes to have the structure built, and then she plays in it.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:42 PM

We bought this over the summer. It was a total impulse buy and we bought it way too early (DS turns 3 in Dec). DH built a fort for him a few times and DS1 was way too rough with it. I think one of the connectors even broke.

I think if your dc won't get too wild when playing in the fort it will be fine but if your dc gets super excited and rambunctious it can break.

SJ
Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 PM

We have one for our DD who is 3. She LOVES it. The last time she played with it, she built (basically on her own) a "nursery" which was 4 poles standing up with side walls connecting and a blanket clipped over the top to turn it into a bed of sorts. She played with it for HOURS. Ours has held up well but DD is not very rough on her toys.

Another option, though more expensive, is the Fortamajig which we also have and is GREAT! It's a nylon blanket substitute thing that has velcro to attach to chair and doorknobs and a couple of windows.

We reviewed both of them on our blog if you want more info.

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmom View Post
Another option, though more expensive, is the Fortamajig which we also have and is GREAT! It's a nylon blanket substitute thing that has velcro to attach to chair and doorknobs and a couple of windows.
Wow, that looks AWESOME!

Off to check your blog. If it doesn't say there--- how big is it?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 PM

We bought one last Christmas. My kids (5 & 8) like it but I think they prefer to just get out sheets, etc. and make their own fort. It is pretty cool though.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:16 AM

We bought 3 sets to put together for my 3 kids.. Ages 4, 2, and 1 and I couldnt even get it together before they tore it apart. Its very unsturdy and would fall over if the wind blew lol
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmom View Post
We have one for our DD who is 3. She LOVES it. The last time she played with it, she built (basically on her own) a "nursery" which was 4 poles standing up with side walls connecting and a blanket clipped over the top to turn it into a bed of sorts. She played with it for HOURS. Ours has held up well but DD is not very rough on her toys.

We reviewed both of them on our blog if you want more info.
Love your blog, zmom. I just bookmarked it! Thanks!

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, mamas. Though now I am more confused than ever, lol...
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
Wow, that looks AWESOME!

Off to check your blog. If it doesn't say there--- how big is it?
Rough estimate, it's about 8' square. (Just measuring from my floor tiles - fort is in DD's room and she's sleeping.) It's quite large anyway which means it's very versatile - it can be a really big roof or you can make the footprint smaller and have it have walls.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
Love your blog, zmom. I just bookmarked it! Thanks!
Thank you! :

Old 10-31-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Jumping on the "zmom's blog is awesome" bandwagon...

Here is another option I found while surfing around tonight. It's more expensive than the Cranium fort, but it looks a lot better. inventatent
Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post
Jumping on the "zmom's blog is awesome" bandwagon...

Here is another option I found while surfing around tonight. It's more expensive than the Cranium fort, but it looks a lot better. inventatent
Thanks again! :

The inventatent looks really cool. It's about the same price as the Fortamajig. I like that it's got a way to attach poles to the middles of other poles instead of just at the corner like the Super Fort...

User Tag List