November Thread for May 2004 Mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you like my original thread title???? I thought of adding "who's next?" as in who's the next one to have a little one, but I think we might all, mostly, be done for a while, right?

Anyway...happy Dia de los Muertos and All Saints Day to you all! Hope your Halloweenies were fun!

here's the link to our old thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=1#post9601423
#2 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

And, I just wanted to join in on congratulations and feel well soon wishes to our feather. Thanks for sharing your birth story with us. I'm glad everyone was healthy and is doing so well. Glad you found a pp doula to work with...that should help a lot!

G was an awesome fireman on Halloween. He ended up getting scared at the library trick-or-treat party yesterday and wanted to go home. All the Darth Vader/ghost/mask-y costumes scared him. But, by evening, he said he would be brave and go out with daddy (though his r's don't come out really well so it sounded like "daddy, i'm so, so bwave"). Now we ration the candy! Or dh and I eat it after bedtime

We returned from our road trip to Kansas on Tuesday. It was a nutty trip and I'm glad we're not driving anywhere again with them until A is 6 months old. G would hit her whenever he got bored or tired. I had to have their car seats by each other so I could sit by her for the majority of the trip and nurse/calm her. It was so tiring. But, dh's aunt was a very special lady to us, so we wanted to be at her funeral.

A turned 3 months old yesterday! I wanted to get her "official" pics taken somewhere and in our small towns, that means Wal-Mart. However, I just found out their portrait studio closed! So, the closest place we can take her to get pics taken is Grand Junction 1 1/2 hours away. Not too eager to get back in the car after the last few days, I tell ya. But, I want to make sure she gets the same pics G did, so not sure what to do yet.

I know I haven't responded to everyone, but I must go. G is having a tantrum because I apparently kissed the wrong spot on his head after he bumped it. So typical.
#3 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Checking in.... Heath, I definitely think you should file a complaint. Spare some other pp mamas the flakiness you got.

Heath, it really sucks that you are 3 for 3 on reflux. At least H benefits from your experience...

Jacquie, what are you pensive about? (Are we allowed to discuss mood?) (In which case, let me check mine... okay, L was very restless last night, and I'm on my 2nd cuppajoe...)

Speaking of L... she's in the middle of a mini speech explosion. She seems to have acquired ~10+ words in the last week (up from 1 word), and so far, they seem to be sticking (I think I may have mentioned that she has lost words). I want to play by the rules, so I called EI to make sure she wasn't DQ'ed for ST, and the ST called me back and told me that no, she should be starting on 2-words phrases by now, so she's still behind. She said that on the bright side, L will hopefully just zoom through some therapy, get caught up quickly, and get booted early. Sounds good to me. Oh, and she's starting to be more relaxed about food textures (she will eat pasta!). I'm thinking something good is going on in her mouth...
#4 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM

KK---cool on L's progress! C's speech and feeding gains always went together. I think for our EI they had to be age appropriate for 4 months or something? before they lose services.

Jacquie---We have to switch our carseats around asap as I know E would be the one to feed hj goldfish or something! 3 months??? Time flies!

: DH is going into work this afternoon. He is going to take the girls, but still. Suck. Suck. Suck. Why do I feel like I'm whining/complaining about this, when duh, should it really be that hard to allow me to do nothing for at least a little while. I had to at the MW discharge sheet that said to limit the stairs to 1-2x a day. I wish. ::::::

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM

I x-posted with Jacquie, so I wanted to add...

I have such a hard time visualizing G as someone who might hit his sister or have a tantrum, because the few times I've seen him, he's been angelic (while my kids have been a little ornery, IMO). Glad you're back in one piece, and UG on contemplating more driving for photos. :

Heath, I want to add that I wish, wish, wish your dh could be home longer and that you could get more rest. Keeping my digits crossed that you get all the breaks and help you need.
#6 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

KK-I'm still pensive only because the web browser I use most often (Safari for Mac folks) doesn't let me do moods! I'd have to use another browser to change my mood. So, my moods probably won't do too much changing.

And, as for G's moods, his behavior around us has changed drastically since A was born. Have to think it's related. We're trying to work with it, but it's tough. Definitely brings out the worst in dh and me at times.

Heather-so sorry dh went back to work so soon. Given all that you've been through, I'd think he could take at least a couple weeks off.
#7 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM

danile's next: december

then i think we are done for a while.

babe wants more breakfast...

~claudia
#8 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Morning, all. I stayed up waaaaay too late drinking wine and talking with DH. But it was fun. Something we don't do often. Fun was had t-or-t'ing with Lily Lion. Pics sometime soon OY.

Heather, I could feel my stomach tightening up when I read about your DH going to work and your lack of constant help in the next, heck, week even. So want to help. So not how it's supposed to be. :

Jacquie - I'm sorry to hear G's behavior is hard to deal with. I don't really know how it is, but wanted to give you a and know I hear you.

KK - Exciting about L's language! That must be fun to see.

Speaking of language, but on a 3-yr-old level, here is a conversation I had with Lily the other day...I went upstairs to put something away, and when I came down she was rustling around in the closet. I went over to her and she jumped out. She said,

"Mama, did you think I had died?"
"No, honey, I just thought you were hiding."
"Did you think a wizard flew in through the window, all invisible, and killed me?"
(pause to gather my thoughts)
"Well, no, honey, wizards aren't real, and invisible wizards don't fly in houses and kill people"
"Well, I thought you would think that when you came downstairs and you couldn't see me."
"Hmm. OK." (Lily runs off to next play scenario)

Where does she come up with these things??
#9 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Lily says, "invisible". WOW!
That's a great conversation snippet. I love kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
(though his r's don't come out really well so it sounded like "daddy, i'm so, so bwave").

G is having a tantrum because I apparently kissed the wrong spot on his head after he bumped it. So typical.
a) friccin' ADORABLE!! So bwave was he!!!

b) I so get this. !!!
#10 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

oops, sorry I forgot about danile! You're the next one. But, not this month. Hope you're doing okay, by the way.

I have a few minutes of quiet (I think) and plan to have a halloween cupcake.
#11 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM

Sarah---those kind of conversations are priceless!! Makes me wish we weren't so far away so I could experience the cuteness in person!

Jacquie--C has always been pretty mellow and is also really ramping up the attitude since HJ's arrival. Though E is the one who has started hitting. : I think it gets under DH's skin more than mine though. I tell him time and again not to take it personally---and not to debate her!

Good news! Just spoke to the new doula on the phone and she can come three mornings next week for sure. Phew. And HJ and I had the best nap---and he ate and is snoozing again. Just getting ready for his evening wakey wakeys I guess!

I made DH feel like : before he left---just plain told him it was mean that I didn't have more help lined up (not for lack of trying). I think what bothers me the most is being left alone which is good for not having to chase around the crazy girls, but then again a bit depressing yk?

#12 of 245 Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 PM

I'm here!

Overwhelmed. You guys will get to hear from me right before my due date probably. That's my finals week and I will be free from the absolute insanity of full time college. I really underestimated how tired I would be and how hard this was going to be.

I love reading about all the cute things and sayings all the MMF tribe babies are doing. It always gives me a smile. Hoping things turn out better for you Heather! Hopefully this doula MORE than makes up for the canceled one.

Off to eat and write more papers and then pass out!

Still sending luvs even if I don't have the energy to say it at moments. I'm still here reading infrequently!
#13 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 AM

ugh. my internet has been on the fritz for a while, giving me only short periods of working before it would kick me off. it finally got so bad a tech came out today. it is so freakin fast now i realize i should have called a LOONG time ago.

so i just caught up and grrrrrr on that doula. definitely file a complaint. just a simple letter to dona with the facts. a doula's whole MO is to be available and flexible. and if they aren't available, to provide a backup. not cool.

i get the dh having to work thing though. mine would have to work. he hasn't taken 2 weeks off in a row in *years*. i hope your dh can take as much time as he can (like take fridays off for a couple of weeks or something?). you had *major surgery* and his company should be somewhat understanding.

and yes, it would be depressing to be all alone. and just plain hard with the two girls. can you avoid stairs by asking C to get things for you? isaac is a nice little helper to me sometimes. he's still at the stage where he thinks it is fun to help. i'm sure in a couple more years it will be 'get it yourself!'

isaac didn't want to go trick or treating. shocked us both. i guess because we had enough candy at home and he loved handing out candy. he got plenty of costume wear prior to last night so i was pretty happy to lay low. and we definitely don't have enough kids in our neighborhood. we have too much candy left.

jacquie - what you wrote about G's moods could be isaac exactly. sometimes it is sad i think i 'changed' isaac by having another baby. but i know there's also the excitement and fun he has too. (my favorite is when isaac "wrestles" ebin on the bed and ebin just cracks up).

i'm realizing "working from home" is pretty dang frustrating at times. i feel like i can't get anything done so there are plans for a movie tomorrow during e's nap so i can hopefully accomplish something. good thing happy feet is on demand right now i am working a ton more hours than i am actually getting paid for too but it should even out a bit. today i installed quickbooks and started putting in my previous invoices, etc. all that kind of stuff is just a time sucker but only the first time kwim? i had to order checks and open an account and all that biz last week. bleh. boring stuff.

the landscapers are JAMMING. fill dirt, check. fences, check. gates, check. and they got an awesome pathway done today. of course my dh is overly critical and i want to poke him in the eye. he gets a low score this week. just one of those times where everything he does bugs me a little too deeply :

i too was thinking that maybe we were 'unpregnant' for the first time in years but remembered danile. i wonder if we'll actually have a time after danile gives birth???

oh i am so happy to be back online i'm just chatting away both boys were in bed by 8:45. i'm ready for some nice reading in bed i think. dare i check on the pdx thread? i'll be here another hour :
#14 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 AM

Heather- Yay for the pp doula! Yay for a quick appt for H with the gi! I feel like a dork for giving away your reflux pillow to another reflux mama. May I buy you another one? I'd be happy to.

Very tired tonight. Gonna hit the hay. (almost spelled it hey. snork. guffaw. )
#15 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 AM

jstar--I would be so excited about the yard/deck stuff! I dream of having our backyard regraded/landscaped. For now I think we'll just settle for getting a new fence in the spring.

ff--don't feel snorky! For now he's super content to sleep on the boppy. Still trying to decide if I want to do the pillow again or not.

Growth spurts how I love thee, let me count the ways! :

HJ has his first chiro appt this morning and then I'm hoping to do nothing today for a change!

#16 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i'm realizing "working from home" is pretty dang frustrating at times. i feel like i can't get anything done

today i installed quickbooks and started putting in my previous invoices, etc. all that kind of stuff is just a time sucker but only the first time kwim?

the landscapers are JAMMING.

i too was thinking that maybe we were 'unpregnant' for the first time in years but remembered danile. i wonder if we'll actually have a time after danile gives birth???
a) I so oooo ooo hear this! I actually pack up my computer and go downtown to my favorite cafe to work. Crazy. Never could get the children/work thing figured out simultaneously at home, only in spurts where miraculously the girls were happy having someone else here. Maybe need to look around here at mdc for suggestions.
b) :uhhuh:

c)YAY!

d) I, for one, will NOT volunteer to be next. I can't think of anyone here who is interested in another one...unless they are keeping their desires secret...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post
H Gonna hit the hay. (almost spelled it hey. snork. guffaw. )
"snork"!!! This made me guffaw.
#17 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Hey moms! I'm totally crappy crabby. carpy crabby?

Sweets is so negative these days- he's one big grumpy gus. it's really putting me in a bad place where I just don't like him. I hate that feeling. Where's the fun guy I fell in love with? He nags the lentil to the point where he's micromanaging him and riding his ass all the time. He nags me about my dissertation but then doesn't give me time to work on it. (I should be doing just that right now but I'm so pissed at him I feel like I need to get this out of my system before he gets back.) It's just so hard.

And where's the intimacy? someone remind me that we have a new baby and no intimacy, quick! before I lose my mind!

But on that front- I went to have a "family planning consultation" yesterday and walked out with a brand-new IUD. It happened so fast I didn't even have time to freak out about it. Owie painful, but then it was over and I'm now less likely to have a baby any time soon. (And did sweets even give me a hug for taking one for the team? I think not.) I have a little cramping and bleeding, but nothing serious. Maybe this is why I'm so damn cranky though? Emotional aftereffects from the whole procedure? possibly.

I'm going to grump my way through transcribing some interviews. tata, MMF friends!
#18 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM

yeah no babies from me either. not a danger from our lack of intimacy : dh asked yesterday if we could make an appointment

i should be working right now before little e wakes. but no i'm drinking coffee and eating a peanut butter cup : the only candy i can really get excited about

isaac and i slept in til 8:30. woot. e woke probably 4 times last night. not as bad as some nights lately. (i forgot to say beth that hourly is HARD and yes you're in survival mode when it;s like that).

my MIL is turning 60 dec 1 and will be up here for her birthday. i decided i should make her one of those small scrapbooks with pics of the boys (because i'm stumped on anything else to get her). so i need to get some pics printed. and beth, we should arrange our "babysitter for the boys while we scrapbook" date or actually i think a babysitter + friend might be better. there's a lot going on with 2 3yo and 2 babies.

hark, i hear (cute!) landscapers dh low score. landscapers high score!!!
#19 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
d) I, for one, will NOT volunteer to be next. I can't think of anyone here who is interested in another one...unless they are keeping their desires secret...
Just one little post, then I'll get back to work... We're definitely leaning against a #4, but we haven't completely ruled it out. Right now, though, I think dh and I are enticed by the idea of focusing on OURSELVES. (Novel idea, no? ) I feel like we need a couple of years to get some of our shizzle together, and at that point... I'll be 40. Too old? Too sucked into what's going on with the kids we already have? Dunno. I feel a little : to admit that nothing about the adoption process interests me (but I suppose that could change). Not much about the prospects of being pg with a 4th kid around the age of 40 interests me. The idea of being about 10-15 yrs down the road and having a big, happy family sounds intriguing, but... 3 isn't that different from 4.

Side note... dh is upstairs, big project (packing away baby clothes, tidying/decluttering, getting ready to move our home office upstairs to the room which is currently our bedroom, etc.)... he just found that child-snatched box of condoms under Z's dresser. : (I bought a replacement box, too... hmm... can we use up both boxes before the IUD on the 16th? )

Okay, EL, off to work on my own dissertation carp. I feel your pain (or at least, I'll definitely be feeling some of it on the 16th).
#20 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 05:31 PM

What you don't want to hear from DH: "C puked" So much for a nice relaxing weekend. Crappity crap. This could definitely complicate plans for next week if one/both girls are still sick. grrrr.

#21 of 245 Old 11-02-2007, 06:34 PM

Oh, crap, Heather.
#22 of 245 Old 11-03-2007, 11:40 AM

I propose that as many of us as possible take a moment to write a letter to G*d, the Supreme Being(s), the Vegan Nun Goddesses, whoever on behalf of Heather. I think it is time to try get the universe to lighten up her load.

Dear powers-that-be-whoever-you-are,
Please grant our friend, Heather, a break, a respite, and an extended moment of deep peace and healing. It has been a hard year filled with many blessings for our friend. Most recently she has been blessed with a third child who is deeply celebrated and loved. Please give her strength and support and allow her to feel cared for in the world. Let her have a period of smooth sailing ahead.
In love,
Enis Conchord
#23 of 245 Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 PM

thank you, lisa! for you, a taste of the daily hj that I usually post on my blog.

So far no more pukies, but I'm still betting E will soon enough. I've been sequestered upstairs (yay a few true babymoon days finally! ) and have been calling DH downstairs on his cell to remind him to take temps, giving permission for toast, etc. HJ's growth spurtiness continues and he is just edibly cute even in the wee hours. Looking forward to lunch in bed and then a nap....

#24 of 245 Old 11-03-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Heather, he is just beautiful! I hope the gods/goddesses keep the sickies away. And, being sequestered away from the others is not the worst thing!

We're leaving in a little bit to drive to Grand Junction to get A's pics taken at Penneys. I just really want to make sure she has the basic pics taken since G did; I'm the fourth child and know how easy it is to just not do stuff for the younger kids. And, after our marathon trip last weekend, an hour drive should be easy, right?

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday!
#25 of 245 Old 11-04-2007, 02:56 AM

Heather, that picture of HJ is SO sweet. I just want to grab him and hold him all to myself. I'm glad you're getting to do just that, being sequestered upstairs and all. It made me profoundly happy to hear that. (Deep, contented sigh.)

Dear Mama of the Universe:

Thank you for some peace and rest for Heather. You can keep it coming.

Sincerely,

Shaddai Fiddlefern

Jacqueline: hope the drive was uneventful.

Jstar- I'll pm ya. Definitely want to do the scrapbook thing. I have lots of fun toys and papers, and no time to use them.

KK- hooray for dh's who declutter! (Mine is excellent at it.) It sounds like both of you are doing really productive stuff during this transition time. Good luck with the diss.

EL- blech. Having a new baby AND needing to work on a diss, AND having a crabby dh sounds like no fun. My guess is that fun-lovin guy you miss is just as stressed out as you. .

Speaking of dh's, mine had fil and bil over tonight to watch the end of a Beavers football game. I asked them not to come over till after bedtime, which they complied with. Still, Fil woke up babe by being too loud and looked overjoyed to then get to hold W when I couldn't get him back to sleep. Grrrrrrrrrr. I admit I lost it and yelled at both dh (which was unfair) and FIL (which was justified but I still felt like a dork for yelling, especially since I'd just asked him to watch L once a week and he'd said yes). Inlaws. Can't live with em, can't live without 'em. Thank GOODNESS we don't actually share a living space.:

OK, time to hit the hey, at least till the next time W awakes.
#26 of 245 Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM

#27 of 245 Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks Heather for the heartwarming little boy pic. So very cute and snug as a bug!

Claudia - wow, your boy is getting around quite nicely. He looks to be a cheery sort too.
#28 of 245 Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Claudia--eek!! How sweet! I had to laugh at the barricaded bookcase--I finally just gave up on ours and put it in the attic!

Monday! C headed to school and doula coming for the morning. Hoping E isn't a terror. Tomorrow I'm on my own. : Somehow telling dh I needed someone T/W/Th didn't compute. Good thing Tivo is fully stocked!

Growth spurt over--phew! (until the next one) I woke up after 3 hours and was shocked that *he* was still sleeping!

Okay...must take a quick shower and attempt to wake up. So wishing my babes could tolerate caffeine---how I look forward to that again!

#29 of 245 Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Claudia, how kyooooot! I cannot believe your baby is already walking (mine either, for that matter). Time just flies by in the most amazing way.

Heather, growth spurts aaagh! How great that he is doing well. I am so bummed you have 3 for 3 reflux, that's rough, the only bright spot being that you know how to deal with it well!

Sending everyone much love this Monday Morning.

Yesterday was belly dance class, then family time with Viet's extended family. It was okay but I was miss grouchatron, not really wanting to be there. I did not represent myself at my best.
#30 of 245 Old 11-05-2007, 12:03 PM

EL I somehow missed your post until right now. I am so sorry about dh not being sweets at the moment.
It's absolutely normal to not have sex for many, many moons around childbirth. Viet requires physical demonstration of love to feel okay in the relationship, in that way it's very easy to keep him happy, but it's also a chore sometimes.
I truly hope that today dawned brighter. How are things today?

I am sending you a triple caramel yummy coffee drink cybernetically. smooch, smooch, smooch to you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page