4 year old lying? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 year old has recently begun lying a lot. Basically she tells us whatever we want to hear. 'Is your room clean?' 'Yes', etc. Even when its really obvious that we know she's lying. It seems to be a 'telling you what you want to hear' sort of thing. She really doesn't understand what 'lying' means, other than that we've tried to talk to her about it a few times, since before now it hasn't been a problem.

I just don't know how to handle it in terms of teaching her about lying, why we shouldn't do it, what it means, etc. I'm wondering if others could share how you handle this with your 4-5 year old? Any good resources? Thx.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#2 of 6 Old 11-04-2007, 09:05 PM

I don't think it's age appropriate to ask her. I would go check her room and respond accordingly. At that age, when you know there's a tendency to stretch the truth (heh heh) it's compassionate to avoid the power struggle in the first place. And I wouldn't even necessarily characterize it as lying, (ever, to her) as much as a misunderstanding/misperception/wishful thinking kind of thing. KWIM?
laoxinat
#3 of 6 Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 PM

This started about a month ago for us. Most times they are just bltant lies-like did you finish your breakfast? (the obvious answer when I look is no)
She knows what she is doing too and either laughs or gives a sly grin when she's caught.
Hopfully it won't last long.
#4 of 6 Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Mama View Post
This started about a month ago for us. Most times they are just bltant lies-like did you finish your breakfast? (the obvious answer when I look is no)
She knows what she is doing too and either laughs or gives a sly grin when she's caught.
Hopfully it won't last long.
Don't ask her if shes finished breakfast when you can SEE she hasn't just don't set up the lie. Instead say something like I see your not eatting your breakfast anymore is your tummy full? or don't say is your room clean say. Hey lets go see if we need to straighten out your room. I think yes much of this she will outgrow but to avoid the "lies" try not to set her up.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 6 Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 PM

This is a good explaination of "lying" at this age. As the author notes, it's really more like wishful thinking. My DS (4.5) does this too, and it is helpful for us to reframe the way we ask questions.
#6 of 6 Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Besides not "setting them up to lie" by asking a question, you can make it so "the lie doesn't really matter'

If she says 'yes my room is clean" you can say "Well i just looked at it and you still need to make the bed and pick up your clothes"

If "lying" doesn't get her anything. Not "out" of anything, not punishment, no reaction at all in fact, it will stop sooner rather than later.

If you want to teach your child the importance of honesty the best thing is to always be honest with her, and to let her see you be honest in your interactions with other people.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page