what time does your 7yo/1st grader go to bed? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS goes to bed at 9pm, which I guess is late reading some of the posts here... He gets up at around 7:15-7:30am and we leave at 8:15am to go to school. Some days he seems really tired in the mornings, but other days he is fine. He's always been one to not need much sleep so I think this works okay for him.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#32 of 39 Old 11-10-2007, 03:15 AM

You all are amazing. My 8 yo may go to bed by 9 but he doesn't sleep until ? At least he's finally entertaining himself instead of doing the "I need a drink of water" "I need to go to the bathroom" "I need the cat to come sleep in here, too." excuses. Did you ever read "Bedtime for Frances"?

My dh wanted to cut the electricity @ 6 to get him to sleep earlier.
#33 of 39 Old 11-10-2007, 04:04 AM

My three are 4, 6.5 and nearly 9. The older two(girls) have a weekday bedtime that varies between 7 and 7:30-depending on the day they've had. My youngest goes to bed when daddy does, usually around 9:30 or 10(but that will change next school year, as he'll be in kindergarten).
The girls get up between 6 and 6:30am. Shower, get uniforms on, eat breakfast, hair gets done, socks, shoes, get everything together and then chill for a bit until it's time to leave. We walk out the door at 8:15 every morning(lil man and I walk them to school each day).
Ds gets up whenever he wanders out in the morning, or if he doesn't, I wake him at 7:45 or so. Just giving him enough time to get dressed and shoes on, plus something to drink. He eats breakfast with me when we get back from taking the girls to school.

Weekends, it varies, but the girls are very rarely up any later than 9:30-they get too tired and can't stay awake, lol. And they get up pretty early on the weekends.

Lil man also naps daily-at least a 2 hr nap-sometimes a 3 hr one. The 6.5 yr old also naps at least 3 times a week after school for about an hour. The 9 yr old naps maybe 1-2 days a week after school. On the weekends, if we're home, all three nap for at least 1-2 hours. Especially Sundays-when we all tend to nod off around 11am for some weird reason.
#34 of 39 Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM

On a completely different vein of thought: Could there be a sleep disturbance? I had a deviated septum as a child that seriously interrupted my sleep and wasn't caught until pretty late in the game. Does your dc need two pillows to sleep?

Are they eating/drinking anything that could be stimulating before bed and affecting actually falling/staying asleep?

Nightmares/sleep walking, anything that would indicate abnormal sleep patterns?

My son is tired and cranky when he's having a growth spurt. He doesn't get the quality of sleep, its broken and he's often sore from growing pains at that time.

Hope things improve soon.
#35 of 39 Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 PM

My DS is 6 and is in Kindergarten. We are upstairs in PJS, teeth brushed by 7:00. we read books and lights out by 7:30. He gets up for school at 6:30am and on the weekends gets up anywhere from 6:30-7:00ish.

Ava Anderson Non-Toxic Consultant
non-toxic, cruelty free, vegan skin care and make up
#36 of 39 Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my kids are freakishly early risers. They are up around 5 or 6 no matter when they go to sleep, so we have needed early bedtimes forever. They are in bed between 6 or 7 and generally asleep pretty soon after that. My 7.5 yr old second grader actually will now sleep in a little if he's tired, but the 3.5 yr old is up with the birds even if he's exhausted.

Oh, as far as not seeing Daddy?? When DS1 was 4, we moved farther from Daddy's work and tried to keep the kids up later to wait for him to get home but they were just too tired. So we needed to put bedtime back earlier and Daddy had to get up with them at the crack of dawn t oget time with them. It's not ideal, but it was the best way for everyone to get their needs met and I decided it was just cruel to keep the kids up late when lack of sleep has such an adverse effect on their well-being.

love.gif Robin~ single, work-at-home sewmachine.gif momma to my homeschooling WonderBoys
                         blahblah.gif YoungMan (6/00) & bouncy.gif LittleBoy (6/04)

#37 of 39 Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM

PinkDiva, could your daughters do their chores after school, like your son does so they don't have to get up that half hour earlier, would that help?

Datura - I've always needed two pillows to sleep on, is this something to worry about?

Is it possible that your 7 year old just isn't a morning person. I know I have nothing to say to anyone when I get up at 5.45 and my Mum is the same, she's a real night owl. But if I don't have my Saurday lie in I'm like a weasel (ok that's a nasty thing to say about weasels) all week. My father tho' would have a running convesation with a fence post at 6am but don't expect him to make sense after 11pm!!
I suppose kids here are lucky, Primary school starts at 9 and secondary (high) at 8.30 earliest.

Interestingly, my Mum, even from a young age had no qualms about me drinking tea or coffee if I preferred, in the morning :
#38 of 39 Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 PM

My first grade daughter (soon to be 7 years old), is in bed at 9pm each evening. At 8pm, she gets a shower, brushes her teeth, etc. and then any time remaining until 9pm (usually about 30 min.), she's allowed to watch some approved TV (kid friendly) or play a kids learning computer game or something else of her choice. She gets up at 7am and I usually only have to ask her once and she's up and moving, so I know she's getting enough sleep otherwise she'd be VERY grumpy. She gets herself dressed, hair brushed, bed made up without prompting and then we leave for school around 8:15am after eating breakfast together.

-Astrid
#39 of 39 Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM

My first grade daughter (soon to be 7 years old), is in bed at 9pm each evening. At 8pm, she gets a shower, brushes her teeth, etc. and then any time remaining until 9pm (usually about 30 min.), she's allowed to watch some approved TV (kid friendly) or play a kids learning computer game or something else of her choice. She gets up at 7am and I usually only have to ask her once and she's up and moving, so I know she's getting enough sleep otherwise she'd be VERY grumpy. She gets herself dressed, hair brushed, bed made up without prompting and then we leave for school around 8:15am after eating breakfast together.

-Astrid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page