Losing Teeth at Age 5..normal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rarely post but I have a question. My daughter (5) has a very loose tooth. Is this the normal age to have this start happening? Do you just let it fall out on its own? She keeps trying to wiggle it.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! DD's tooth fell out yesterday during music class! She was so excited.
#2 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 PM

I started losing my baby teeth at 4 -- almost 5. I think it's a little on the early side, but certainly within the normal range. Most of the 6-year-olds I know have lost at least one tooth.
#3 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yep, lots and lots of kids lose their first tooth in kindergarten.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Yes, normal.
Some start earlier, some later.
I remember losing my first tooth on the Kindergarten bus!
#5 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Yes, very normal. All three of my older children lost their first teeth at age 5.
#6 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM

My son also started losing teeth at about age 5 1/2. The dentist told us that if kids get teeth early as a baby, they are likely to start losing them early as well.
#7 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 PM

It is within the range of normal. My son lost his first tooth when he was 5 1/2. I had no idea it was even loose until I noticed that adult tooth had already come in behind it when I was brushing his teeth one night! At 6 1/2, he's about to lose his 6th tooth.

A friend's son lost his first tooth at 4! I think there's a wide range of normal on this.
#8 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GR8KIDS View Post
My son also started losing teeth at about age 5 1/2. The dentist told us that if kids get teeth early as a baby, they are likely to start losing them early as well.
My dentist said the same thing. My son cut teeth early and he also cut them in pairs. He's lost teeth early and he tends to loose them in pairs. My sister's children cut teeth late. They also lost their teeth late.
#9 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Thanks for posting this! I was wondering the same thing. DD lost her first tooth just after her 5th birthday. She also got her first teeth relatively early (5 months).

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#10 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

I lost my first incisor tooth (lower jaw) when I was 5 1/2.
#11 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 PM

I ask DS every day if he has any loose teeth . MIL works in grade primary (K) and sees lots of kids losing teeth.
#12 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 PM

very normal.
#13 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 PM

My daughter started losing teeth at 4 and a half. It freaked me out but other moms I know said if they get teeth early, they lose them early. She got her two bottom teeth at about 3 months so I guess it makes sense that she would lose them before she turned five!
#14 of 27 Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 PM

My 4.75 yr. old has had a loose tooth for a couple of months. It doesn't seem to be getting any looser, though, I'm sure it'll hang in there until his birthday at least.
Which is good because honestly, kids with teeth missing kind of creep me out! :
#15 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 01:01 AM

My 5.5yo DD has her first loose tooth right now. It seems early to me, as her older brother didn't lose his first tooth until age 7. But I've read that between ages 5 and 8 are within the range of normal for a child to lose their first tooth.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#16 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 AM

I lost my first at four.
#17 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM

dd cut her teeth in pairs and is loosing them in pairs she lost her first 2 at 5yo and now she is loosing the top ones.

I dont let them just fall out. I get a string and pull them once they are super loose and easy to remove. The main reason for this is if you dont and the baby tooth stays and the permanant tooth comes it it can cause it to be crooked it can also tighten back down from the force of the tooth coming in under it.

DD dosnt like it but it dosnt hurt and once it is out she laughs and loves looking at it. She already has teeth issues, an extra tooth that has shifted her bottom teeth badly so I am not risking any further complications. It is a whole lot better for me to simply pull it than to end up having to go to the dentist and possible getting a shot and having it pulled later. Or having to deal with braces because of crooked teeth later on.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#18 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 AM

See, and my daughter has a loose tooth at almost-five and the dentist gave me grief about it. Said it was WAY too early for her to lose a tooth and that it was due to her index-finger sucking habit (she only does it at night, in bed). I'm pretty conflicted about the "advice" to make her stop, since it seems like the emotional consequences (at this stage) are worse than the dental ones. (She was pretty upset about being told she had to give up the habit. And she seriously never does it during the day unless she's ill or extremely tired.)
#19 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiflywaif View Post
See, and my daughter has a loose tooth at almost-five and the dentist gave me grief about it. Said it was WAY too early for her to lose a tooth and that it was due to her index-finger sucking habit (she only does it at night, in bed). I'm pretty conflicted about the "advice" to make her stop, since it seems like the emotional consequences (at this stage) are worse than the dental ones. (She was pretty upset about being told she had to give up the habit. And she seriously never does it during the day unless she's ill or extremely tired.)
You're dentist is nuts- go find a different dentist.

I've had children in my preschool classes lose teeth as early as 4 and a half. One of my preschool girls just went off to kindergarten this September with 4 adult teeth and two loose ones. It's a little young, but normal. I've also known children who have not lost any teeth until almost 8, myself included. Also normal, though a bit late. My own children both lost their first ones at 6 1/2, my niece at almost 5 1/2 (naturally, that is- she lost one otherwise at two).

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#20 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM

I have twin 5 yr.old girls. One lost her first tooth at 4.75 and the second just after she was 5. My other dd lost both her bottom front teeth at 5. When the 1st one happened, I called a pediatric dentist, thinking b/c she sucks her thumb, she had pushed it back so far it became lose, but that wasn't the case. They showed me on the x-rays the roots coming up to push the teeth out, which is what normally happens. They told me it's completely normal and not a case of age as much as where the roots are and how fast they're pushing the others out.
#21 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 PM

My dd will be 6 in January. At this point she has 2 adult teeth and according to her there are 7 more that are loose. We just had her to the dentist for a cleaning on Monday and neither the dentist of the hygienist thought it was a problem that she had adult teeth and others loose.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#22 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Yes, my nephew just lost 1st tooth and he turned 5 in Sept. Dentist said it is common.
#23 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 05:04 PM

You have already gotten a ton of responses that losing teeth at 5 is both normal and fine, so I will address the other part of your question.

It is actually a good thing for your dc to wiggle the loose tooth because that will help it fall out faster. You can just let it fall out on its own, but a loose tooth can be painful and extremely annoying to the child when it stays in and stays in.

For my dd (she is now 7 and lost her first teeth at 5) whenever she complains about a loose tooth we ask if she would like to try to pull it. Sometimes she says yes, sometimes no and we respect her decision. If she wants to try, my dh holds the loose tooth with a washcloth or piece of gauze and then gives a gentle pull. Or he can get a good grip and then she can jerk her head back, in effect pulling it herself. If the tooth doesn't seem ready to come out then we stop and try again another night. Most of my dd's teeth were pulled, one came out when she was eating an apple, and one came out shortly after an unsuccessful pulling attempt.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#24 of 27 Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 PM

I totally forgot about the wiggling part in my post sorry. Personally it grosses me out to watch kids wiggling on loose teethe, but I just tell dd to mess with her teeth in her room or I go somewhere I don't have to watch. There were a couple of girls in the dentist's office ahead of dd and the hygienist told their mom to encourage them to wiggle their teeth as they had adult teeth coming in behind the baby ones. It sounded like they had other problems as well with their teeth, but that part stuck out in my mind. I'd never heard that advice before, but it makes sense.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#25 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Replying because I updated in the 1st post. Thanks.
#26 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Just wanted to add again, that yes, it's normal. My DD is 5 1/2, and one day I saw something in her gums and said "hey, come here!" She had not one tooth, but a tooth and two molars breaking through the gums, and one loose tooth, which just fell out the other day. She has one other loose tooth as well.
#27 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 03:22 PM

My 5 year old had his first two loose teeth at about the same time back around mid July (lower fronts). He had to go in to have a cavity filled and the dentist asked if we wanted to have him pull it or not. As it was his first experience with a loose tooth we said no. Hehe...He didn't lose the first one until a few days before Halloween. It wasn't even the loosest of the two. He finally lost that one 2 days ago (Nov. 11). He inherited my family trait of long roots even in the baby teeth. In his case having any kind of dental work done, even a cavity being filled, takes extra medications and is more trouble than it's worth. This last time took an anesthesiologist on hand, a full physical, a letter from his cardiologist stating that he was ok for the procedure. I'd much rather just let them fall out on their own unless it's really becoming a problem. By that I mean some of the problems I had as a kid where the baby tooth never came loose, but the adult tooth was trying to come in anyhow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page