Flying solo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-06-2003, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister has graciously offered to have dd1 spend Labor Day weekend with her. . .halfway across the country! Dd has traveled by airplane many times in her short life and is very travel savvy, but has never flown alone. I think on the one hand she will eat it up, the independence, the special attention, etc. OTOH, I know she will be scared and stressed about it. I've noticed, though, that she tends not to verbalize any of these feelings and they come out in annoying tics. She rubbed her face raw when summer school started and I got so aggravated with her. Finally the school counselor let me know that she was having a hard time with switching classrooms each hour like is done in high school. Well, no wonder! Poor kid, I had to do that for the first time when I was 11 and was terrified, dd is only 6! But she never, ever mentioned once that she was having a hard time and I didn't realize that that was what was happening. I knew they were doing different activities, but I didn't realize the kids were switching rooms on their own. Once I talked with her about it she stopped rubbing her face. *Anyway*, I was wondering if anyone had any feelings yay or nay on a 6 y/o flying alone, any travel tips, ways to make her feel more secure, etc. Have any of you ever let your dc fly alone? How did it go?

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page