Magic Treehouse Books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of getting these for my 5 year old son. Anyone have these? Do your kids like them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM

My son LOVED them. Has since moved onto other books. Each one is pretty much the same formula, and they are full of lots of facts. We all enjoyed reading them, and I'm keeping the ones he had for DD.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Yes another vote "for" here! My son, now 7, loved them.

I think they are pretty good, but I did have to start to move him onto other books after a while as the style is all the same (obviously!) They are now in my 5 yr old's room!

My difficulty was what to move the 7 year old onto after them because his reading ability was far beyond his comprehension at 5.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:27 PM

My son loved those books!
Great imagination books.

Mom to '97, '07, '09 and birth mom '00 and wife to my BFF
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 PM

I agree that they are a great series, but they're not the best read-aloud books, in terms of rich language and varied sentence structure. I can't wait until my son can read them on his own.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son loves them, too. We've been reading them since he was 4.5. They do get a bit boring to read after a while, but DS loves learning all sorts of interesting things from them.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:18 PM

We started reading these to DS for his 3rd birthday and he is ADDICTED! He loves to play Jack and Annie all day. They are very fun and full of great information that they really retain!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 PM

I am also interested in these books as I am always looking for new chapter books for my almost 4.
Do you think the concepts of the book are appropriate for a very sensitive and hears everything child?
We also homeschool - or whatever it is called at this age and I don't like to read books that sensationalize 'school'

Any info?
TIA
Amanda
Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 PM

My kids did/do not like them, for different reasons. By and large, they are very popular and most kids do like them.

For dd: she is gifted, and learned to read on her own when she was 5. She very quickly was reading at an advanced level, and had no patience for "learn to read books" except Dr. Suess. She was too young to appreciate some of the themes in books for preteens, so she preferred richly illustrated fairy tales and the like. If you look, you will see many use complex sentences and rich vocabulary, and rely on pictures to help get the meaning across to young kids.

Ds is now 6. He struggles a bit with reading, but loves being read to. He is just at grade level right now, but he just doesn't like reading. He's impatient with himself and can't follow the meaning well when he's trying to sound out words. He doesn't like these books because on the one hand they don't have enough pictures, but on the other hand, the language is too simple for him. They really are meant for kids to read on their own, and the thrill of being able to I think makes up for a bit of what is lost in richness.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 AM

I agree that they are best for kids who are starting to read independently because they are formulaic and kind of boring for adults. That said, my dd1 read more than 30 of them right after her 4th birthday and learned a ton. So, if your ds wants to read them on his own, I'd go for it.

It might also be fun to get him the books and the audiobooks so that he can follow along.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 PM

We used them as read-alouds and my then-5yo loved them. He played "Jack and Annie" all the time, and even followed me around the house making up his own Jack and Annie stories (complete with chapters and everything ). I saved them for him in hopes that someday he'll want to read them again to himself.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

Old 11-18-2007, 12:21 AM

DS thinks they are okay...he's really starting to get into chapter books, and he likes these but they are not his favorite.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 AM

My son is 4 and we started reading them every night when he was 3.5 He loves them.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:47 AM

My dd loved these, but not at 4. More like 6, when she could read some of them herself. I got bored. She also listened to them on tapes from the library.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 11-18-2007, 02:16 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My dd loves them too! A winner for boys AND girls. I love all the facts that are in them, my dd has actually done a report about something she learned about in one of the books--(the book wasn't used as a reference, but everything regarding her topic that was in the book was confirmed)

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM

I started getting these from the library a while back. Ds1 (soon to be 5), likes them, but didn't want to hear the scary parts. He is very sensitive when it comes to reading or watching anything when there is anything suspenseful or scary. He is definitely ready for chapter books and fewer illustrations, but we end up skipping large parts of these (or I summarize them). I guess it depends on your child's personality. Ds1 actually had me skip the part where bunny gets lost in Bunny My Honey the other day.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 PM

We like these and just started reading them with our 5yo around his birthday. I got a set of books 1-8 for $10 from the Scholastic catalog sent home from school. My 3.5yo doesn't really care for them in terms of being interested / attention-span. We tried reading them to the 5yo when he was around 4-4.5 and he wasn't interested then either. But now he really likes them.

I agree that they are probably better for independent, new readers. I find them kind of boring for a read-aloud, but not excessively so.

And for the homeschooling mama - we are through book 6, I think, and they haven't once mentioned school that I remember.

DS really likes audio books, so I'm thinking of getting the audio book versions so he can sort of read them by himself. I think he'd enjoy the independence of that. Right now, he pretends he is reading them and loves the "chapter" nature of them.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM

my daughter still likes these books, she is nine. first time poster!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM

my son loves them and has almost read all of them. i've almost got his collection completed. i like to make him read some of the chapters outloud to me so that i can make sure he is reading, good for oral, and gives me an idea of what he is reading, etc.
he's got 3 more siblings(otherwise i'd offer to send you some) that i hope enjoy these books especially since they will be able to read in sequence 1-37 (i think that's the current)
i would agree that they are homeschool friendly.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 PM

My dd, who is 7, loves them. She reads them herself though they are below her reading level - sometimes it is nice to just read something easy and entertaining. I also read them to her as bedtime stories. We recently got a teacher's companion book that has activities to go along with a lot of the books in the series. I find the activities are pretty good and we enjoy doing them together.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

User Tag List