Mothering Forum banner

Separation Anxiety in a 4-year-old

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lindberg99 
#1 ·
DS just turned 4 a few weeks ago. For close to a month now we have been having some pretty bad issues with separation anxiety as I am calling it. DS goes to preschool while I am at work and he is very happy there, however, each morning, when I drop him off, he gets very sad and does not want to say goodbye. His classroom has a "peace corner" and he has asked me to walk him to the peace corner almost every single day for the last month (give or take). I honor his wish since this is a place that he can go and relax and think, however, I do not want him to miss out on the fun of school or the circle time at the beginning of the day. So, lately I take him to the peace corner, sit and talk for a minute, and ask him to join the group a minute after I leave. I know from his teacher that he is joining and his days are going really well. He just does not want to leave me. DS and I have talked this out as well and in his words he has told me that he likes school but he just doesn't want to say goodbye. He also attends religious school on Sunday mornings, and I am there teaching in another classroom down the hall. These mornings are much more traumatic for him- the last 2 Sundays he has had full blown screaming, not letting go, rough times where I have had to leave to get to my class with him crying. So, I guess my concern is if this is "normal" for a 4 year old, if any of you have dealt with similar issues, and what I can do to help him get over this. I know he is a happy kid and enjoys his time away from me once he leaps into that space, but how do we get past these really sad times for him?

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't dealt with it personally but it's normal.

My DD is 9 and in 4th grade. She has friends who are twins who just recently got so their mom could drop them off at school and not have to get out of the car and walk up to the door and wait until 8:50 am when they could go back to their rooms.

And both DD and my 7 yo DS have had kids who cried a lot about leaving their mom or dad when they were in kindergarten.

It sounds like you are both handling the preschool transition and I bet it will continue to get better. For his religious education, is there any way you could transfer to teaching his age group or let him come with you to your class?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.