Pink Eye/Swimming Infection? (XPosted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-19-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Posting this in Health & Healing forum too in hopes of lots of responses.

Ina's eye [4 years old] had a pussy greenish thick discharge this afternoon - I thought maybe she'd gotten some leaf grit in it (outside helping dh rake leaves today) - but it's still discharging despite being washed with a warm clean washcloth several times now. I hand-expressed some milk and put that in her eye and I think the discharge is a little less now ....?

I've been reading online and there is a connection between swimming and pink-eye - Ina has been in swimming lessons for three weeks now. She started rubbing her eyes vigorously at bedtime a few nights ago but I thought she was just trying to stay awake. Maybe this has been bothering her for awhile with no symptoms? She does not have "pink" eyes, they look healthy (other than the discharge from one eye, and it's starting to look a little puffy around it).

I need to make a Ped appointment tomorrow; we are supposed to travel to visit family Wednesday through Sunday. I've read that we shouldn't travel the first day after pink eye diagnosis and treatment beginning (?) - I'd think if we stayed in the car and took precautions in restrooms and with family (we'd be at a hotel the first night) we'd be fine, wouldn't we? (I will ask the Ped this too).

My eye is starting to feel funny now too - either I didn't wash hands well enough or else I've an active imagination. Babe's eyes seem fine right now. I'm anticipating that Ped will suggest an antibiotic for me, Ina, and SJ too (probably not for dh since he has less kid-contact and can be more careful than I can ). I will keep expressing and putting milk in Ina's eye tonight and in the morning before we go to the Ped, too.

Any other suggestions or things I should consider instead of this being Pink Eye that you can think of? Anything I need to bring up with the Ped? Has anyone successfully treated Pinkeye with just breastmilk?

TIA!

I did read that she's not to be in a pool 'til the pinkeye is resolved, which stinks as she's only halfway through her lessons and is a Beginning Beginner. And loves her lessons! It looks like bacterial is less infectious and can clear up in 3-4 days with treatment, so I'm hoping that's what she's got - but it looked like viral was more likely if it were swimming-related?

Not all who wander are lost.
#2 of 2 Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
I've been reading online and there is a connection between swimming and pink-eye - Ina has been in swimming lessons for three weeks now.
Does she wear goggles?

Quote:
I've read that we shouldn't travel the first day after pink eye diagnosis and treatment beginning (?) - I'd think if we stayed in the car and took precautions in restrooms and with family (we'd be at a hotel the first night) we'd be fine, wouldn't we? (I will ask the Ped this too).
I would most likely go and just be careful. My experience with eye infections is that they usually feel much better within 24 hours of starting medication.

Quote:
I did read that she's not to be in a pool 'til the pinkeye is resolved, which stinks as she's only halfway through her lessons and is a Beginning Beginner.
She may be ready to go back next week, and you are gone over the weekend anyway.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page