Pirate Birthday party ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I want to throw a pirate themed party for my son who will be 5 in January and would like to get some feedback on whether this sounds like fun (or any other activities/games we could do). I’m going to have it in our home-owners association rental facilities because it is cheap and there will be more space than having it at our house. I was going to give all the kids some dress-up stuff when they get there (like eyepatches, bandanas, a pirate booty bag, blow up play swords, mardi gras beads, etc) and then have different areas set up with various activities and games. Here is what I was thinking of setting up:

Game – Hot crab (like Hot potato)
Game - Pop the Canon Ball – tie a black balloon to their ankles and they have to try to pop each others balloon
Play Activity – Cut two large boxes in half and make them look like ships. Put cannonballs (made out of black socks stuffed with cotton) in them and let them throw them.
Craft activity – Make an ocean in a bottle
Craft activity – Decorate a wooden chest
Play activity – make a plank with plywood and set it up like a low balance beam.

I want to do the invitations like a message in the bottle, which will actually be pretty cheap because we will just hand deliver them and I will use my printer to print them, coffee to stain them, and a lighter to singe the edges. All I have to buy will be the coke bottles so for $12, I should be able to make some really cool invites!

Any other ideas? Do you think your kids would enjoy a party like this? I’ve never thrown a party at home, but I wanted to try something a little cheaper this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 PM

This is a great idea! My sister is wonderfully creative and just threw a pirate themed party for her 14 year old special needs boy! Her games were alot like yours, she also had a treasure hunt and hidden gold coins(chocolate). She gave out eye patches at the door for kids that didn't dress up. The party was a blast and all the kids thought it was one of the best parties they'd ever been to!
It was a kids only event, so no parents could stay so I can't tell you much more than what I've heard from my girls, but your ideas are GREAT!!! Have a blast!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM

What a great idea! I think the kids will love it. I have had success with themed versions of hot potato. I love your ocean in a bottle and invitation ideas.

But with a pirate theme, IMO, you've got to have a treasure hunt! There are a couple ways you could do this. You could draw a map that leads to a "treasure". You could have a series of clues where one clue leads to the next. If you use picture clues no reading is required.

Another option that could be used either instead of or in addition to the above ideas is to have the kids dig for treasure. For my dd's 5th birthday we had a puppy theme and a favorite activity was digging for bones. We took a large, fairly flat storage container (you could also use a flat packing box) and filled it full of beans and then buried foil-wrapped chocolate bones in the beans. The kids had so much fun it was unreal. They wanted to re-bury the bones and do this activity again rather than some of the other activities we had planned. Hint: Set your box on a large sheet or you will have beans everywhere.

Have fun!

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 PM

Yes, I was going to suggest a treasure hunt.

I actually live on the coast, and one of my daughter's best birthday parties ever, was on this pirate ship they run out of Cape Cod. It was so fun, and they had a treasure hunt, and it was really fun. What they did was hide the map on board, and the kids had to find it. You could do it even better on land, as the "hunt" we were on actually involved the boat taking a pre-determined course.

This will be great fun.

User Tag List