Dec07 thread for May04 Mamas -- just waiting for a new Ducette... - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 386 Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, that's just my 'rhoid crowning. I think I'll name him Bob. (says the woman who had plenty of other embarrassing stuff happening "down there" when L was crowning...)

Just a little hello... I'm in the home office (AKA, sewing room, after hours) madly working on appliqued stockings for the kids. I've just run out of red thread... not good.

I want to use some of the tags, too... I swear, I'd have a use for every single last one. :

Danile, are you out there?
#302 of 386 Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 PM

Now that we've had the chiro discussion, I'm wondering what homeopathic remedies any of you keep on hand for you or the kiddos? Pretty much all I've tried/used is Hyland's teething tabs. I would love to start using more, but don't know where to start. Any good books?

DH is off at the mall finishing his shopping and I'm contemplating starting some refrigerator cookie doughs, but not feeling very motivated.

I was the anti-Santa today or the Grinch as it were.... I loaded up four bags of noisy toys and things not played with, plus two huge space hogging things and had DH run them over to the thrift store while the girls were napping. I figured if they hadn't been asking about these things (had them put aside in the attic) then they wouldn't miss them!

Hope the turbos are having smooth travels on their way to their sunny holiday!

Renae--miss you! hope you all had a lovely solstice! did I mention that I miss you?

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#303 of 386 Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Wish peaceful labor vibes for me mamas... I think we'll have a baby in 24-48 hours....

I lost my entire mucous plug a few minutes ago after I came home from finishing every last bit of my christmas shopping.

Here's to a beautiful homebirth ahead!
#304 of 386 Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 PM

So excited for you! My guess was going to be that you were out finishing up errands. Isn't that what Jacquie was doing before annie arrived?

#305 of 386 Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 PM

Woooot! Lighting a labor candle now! Oh, Ducette, we are all thinking of you and your Christmas gift!
#306 of 386 Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 PM

I'll try to keep you ladies posted.
#307 of 386 Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 PM

#308 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 AM

ooooh i'll go light my candle too! SO exciting (and i agree any time past your due date feels like an eternity! i'm glad it looks like the wait is over) a noel baby

happy travels to the turboclaudia's it will be wonderful

you guys are killing me with the roid stories.

i am *drowning* in laundry detergent right now. i had coupons for the natural stuff so i bought a box of biokleen and a bottle of 7th gen (which i haven't opened yet). plus we already had some all or something. and i bought the all free and clear because he said specifically that brand was almost hyperallergenic. but we'll see if that really is the case. i'm just kind of bummed because i started using the biokleen and just washing everyone's clothes together (a grand life simplification plan!!!). and now i'll be back to sorting just so i can use up the plethora of detergents on the adult clothes

i also could find a use for every one of those labels. i've used a few

i'll be checking back for stories....have a lovely homebirth danile
#309 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 01:47 AM

blessed birth danile
#310 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 AM

fly-by

tc happy trip!

jstar cool purse!

lisa- TOTALLY agree with your decision

I have bought zero presents except grandparent gift I got in May, have filled out zero cards, packed zero things for Olympia. I need to get in gear, pronto. Just got home from work, put kids to bed, probably will go shopping tonight.
#311 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 AM

danile, candle is lit. I was shopping right up until labor with Annie, too. Glad you got those errands done. Blessed birth :

regarding 'rhoids: I still have the one from G...it doesn't really cause me problems or pain. It's just annoying. Some days it's smaller than others, but never exactly gone. Perhaps if I started exercising again and lost some more weight!

Today was spent helping dh get the church bulletins together for the Christmas eve services, getting groceries and some last-minute stuff at Target. Pretty productive day.

Claudia-have an awesome time!!!!!

jess-cool purse. I'm jealous of your sewing talents.

heath-re: homeopathic remedies, we have a small kit from homeopathyworks.com http://www.homeopathyworks.com/produ...648c6627bb74cc

that, along with a book called something like Family Guide to Homeopathy (I can check later) has been super helpful to us.

gotta run...annie is crying!
#312 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Heath--I know there are some good manuals out there for homeopathics, I have a fab resource named Alison to whom I direct all questions, then the one I have on hand without fail is Arnica for bumps n bruises. But there is a whole world of homeopathics that I don't know about, I just buy what alison tells me.

Happy christmas weekend, everybody. Fern you made me feel better--I haven't bought anyone gifts, really, just a couple things for mom/bro/friend, but otherwise no energy into the christmas thing outside my girls and stuff. No cards, although I love all of that. I just read something about how winter is really the wrong time to run ourselves ragged--in nature, it's a time of resting up and recovering from the year. Everyone gets colds, flu, etc...from trying too hard to do too much. Especially social things.
So I've taken that to heart and just want to enjoy myself (esp. after reading kk's blog entry) and am having a blast doing craft projects with the kids! Last night we made christmas stockings with lots of felt, a glue gun, glitter, and scissors. Fun! So I guess we are going to do stockings! Now I have to figure out what to put in them but there are no expectations like in my family of origin, so it's all fun.

In writing here I guess I realize that I love the making things, the crafts, the projects, when one has time & energy & desire (ie, not an expectation). The social stuff wears me down a lot, even though I crave it a bit.

Totally bookmarked that page for the tags! What a great idea!
#313 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Els, I totally agree... before I officially "got up" this morning, I was lying in bed wondering how the pagans got this solstice thing started however many years ago this time of year... did they have winter blahs back then? (I suppose they may have had less hectic lives and more natural biorhythms ...) "Dude, I'm too tired and stressed out to help heave the Yule log. *You* do it." (And re what to put in stockings... we do a fair amount of small yummy treats... incl stuff like dried pineapple, "natural" gumdrops from WF, etc., also stuff like stickers, kid-type placemats)

Go Danile! Can't wait to hear how it all went.
#314 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 PM

danile, I do hope all is going well.

ok, a few minutes to finish the homeopathy discussion since I was interrupted last night....

that homeopathy kit I gave a link to is a bit pricey, but it's a wonderful investment. We've had our for 3 years now and I know it's saved us having to go the doctor many, many times. The book my naturopaths gave us with the kit is The Family Guide to Homeopathy by Dr. Andrew Lockie: http://www.amazon.com/Family-Guide-H...8426739&sr=8-1

I don't know that it's the best book out there, but it's a good place to start. It explains the basic philosophy of homeopathy and how they work. The key to homeopathy is to start with the simplest remedy. So, with the kit, you start with the first one, aconite (it's arranged alphabetically) for the early onset of things. When/if things progress, you look up the symptoms list in the kit and see which remedy applies. For example, G had a runny nose last night. I immediately jumped to allium, because he was already showing a more advanced symptom and it was too late for aconite. I gave him 3 doses last night before bed (about 3-5 tiny pellets each dose) and he slept fine. Still runny this morning, so we're continuing the allium hard core until it either lessens greatly or some other symptom presents itself and then we address that. I like that you can change the homeo. needed so quickly....as soon as things change, and I think that gives the body more ability to fight/adapt to what's going on at the moment. Medicines just aren't like that. I also use my intuition many times and certain remedies will just pop out at me...those are usually the ones I need.

Okay, I've rambled long enough. But, I am a firm believer in it. For tougher things we've had issues with, I do call my ND for appropriate treatment, but over time, I've gotten pretty good at figuring out what item in the kit works. Also, with G, we had to move beyond Hylands teething tablets at times. We bought a 200c vial of chamomilia (the kit contains all 30c potency). This got us through the molars...wonderful stuff right before bedtime. I also use our kit for fevers (G has had baby tylenol maybe once in his life). Kids respond amazingly fast to this stuff.

Off to church.
#315 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM

i think it is all tied to the winter blahs and hunkering down during the darkest days of winter. that's why lights play such a significant role....lights on the tree, lights on houses. to lift people up. (the lights are definitely one of my favorite aspects. i LOVE turning on my christmas tree lights and enjoying my coffee in the morning glow.) and i think the food and treats aspect is to lift people up. but yes- when every little thing becomes an obligation it definitely wears thin. (i actually never put it all together re the lights and time of year until i read an article last year. people are really prone to after-holiday depression too because the hubbub is over but it is still dark and nasty out)

your stocking-making sounds like fun, els! i think i am enjoying christmas SO much right now because there are no expectations from isaac....as in..it is ALL wonderous at this point.

no news about babe yet :stalky stalky:

merry christmas weekend everymama it's so nice to have 4 days with the fam
#316 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Still here. Contractions light... Update if anything progresses...
#317 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 PM

I love the updates, Danile, keep them coming as you can. I am so excited for you, and happy you are happily laboring at home.

Yeah, jstar, the lights! So true. If these things could all be done without running ourselves ragged! And I am totally loving discovering Santa and Christmas through Sol's eyes, like you say, no expectations, just wonder and joy. She can sing along to jingle bells like nobody's business.

dying to make cookies.
#318 of 386 Old 12-23-2007, 11:15 PM

jacquie--thanks for your thoughts/wisdom on homeopathy. That kit was $$, but it does look great and compared to the alternatives, sounds like it's a good investment! I found a book on half.com so that looks to be a good primer...name escapes me now. I love how you described your approach to using different remedies and relying on intuition.

danile--thinking of you and your wee one and growing family. have a special spot in my heart for you as a soon to be mama of three!

We had a *fantastic* day today visiting my friend in the city. He took us out for the most delish non-vegan (not by a longshot!) puerto rican food. omg. yummmm! The girls ate and ate and ate some more as did we all. Then we did some holiday things in the city afterwards and walked around and I got to reminisce a bit about living there in my pre-dh, pre-kid life.

merry wishes, everymama!

#319 of 386 Old 12-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Thinking of Danile this morning...

I'm a homeopathy novice, but picking up little bits at a time. I keep arnica (both pellets and creams) on hand but frequently forget to use it

Having some minor mama drama. Thinking about expounding OY but ... bleh. We'll see how the morning goes
#320 of 386 Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Still here mamas...

had some leakiness yesterday... but it wasn't my water. Contractions got as close as 3 1/2 minutes apart and three minutes long... SUPER STRONG... major burning back pain for hours... and then relaxed. My midwives and doula came and hung out for hours playing skip-bo. I got tired and went to bed, contractions kept coming. I'm off to take the kids for Santa pictures and see if they get stronger and closer from walking.
#321 of 386 Old 12-24-2007, 02:40 PM

it sounds like you're laboring in fits and spurts and i would bet $$ you are good and dilated and effaced at this point maybe the next ramp-up will be the BIG one

heath - that sounds like a lovely day in the city. how fun!

i am seriously : everyone has been sick around me and i finally am afflicted

juice - i hope the mama drama isn't too bad

i saw a thingy on tv this morning about the origins of santa and i was thinking of nuggetsmom and her family's traditions. was it pressies in the clogs on dec 6th? i can't recall exactly. i think our 'american' santa has lost a lot of the 'old man winter' aspects. i bought the prettiest card for FIL&S-MIL with a traditional st nick in green robes surrounded by woodland creatures. and lots of glitter of course i love sparkly carp

we baked our cookies yesterday. we'll see how many isaac wants to eat for breakfast
#322 of 386 Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 PM

danile, I second what jstar said. Sounds like your body is doing just what it needs to do!

We made m&m cookies on Friday from a homemade-jarred mix someone gave us from church. We saved two in the freezer for Santa because I knew we'd eat most of the cookies by today. And, sure enough, those two in the freezer are the last ones! So, G and I made up a plate of cookies and carrots for Santa and reindeer along with a note. It's all ready to put out tonight after we get back from church, along with some milk. We've wrapped the presents for G and Annie already and put everything under the tree, except for the "big" present from us, er Santa. That will go out tonight.

As far as Christmas traditions, for us, the whole church thing is obviously central to what we do to celebrate. I love the Christmas Eve service (though it can be a bit more challenging with two kids in the pew!). In the Christian tradition, Christmas really doesn't start until tonight, and it's not over until Epiphany, Jan. 6. Really participating in Advent during the weeks before as a time of expectant waiting for the light of Christmas (in whatever way you define it) makes it more meaningful for me. Also helps maintain a bit of simplicity.

jstar-sorry about your sickies. G's still got a runny/stuffy nose. And he hates it when we wipe it. He's acting mostly normal, though, so I'm hoping it's just your run-of-the-mill cold. I just hope A doesn't get it!
#323 of 386 Old 12-24-2007, 10:23 PM

Had to share some cute photos of Dom being my little coach through last nights contractions... Check out my blog to see!
#324 of 386 Old 12-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Super duper cute! Your hair is so long and beautiful!

Just had a helluva time getting both girls to sleep by myself as Viet is picking up my vacation arrivals from the airport. I had to drive them around but for some reason Amara got on a screaming jag, it was awful. I ended up screaming too, utterly at wit's end. Then I started driving really fast (okay, second gear anyway, on a cobblestone road) which shut her up FINALLY. Oh it was frustrating. Now, I think I need a shot of mezcal and it's Santa Time! We did not leave anything out for Santa but had I thought of it, well, a nice little shot glass and some cookies would be great.

I spent a good amount of today getting the vacation rental ready (water, TP, maid service, a little christmas decoration) and then once home we did a snowman (glue, cosmetic cotton pulled apart, paper) crafty, I pulled out butter for cookies but I think it's just not happenin.

Viet's family gets together tonight and eats and hangs out, I honestly don't know what they do because prezzies are not involved, anyway I'm pretty sure it's a stay up until midnight thing. We were invited but with both girls DOWN AT 8 PM, I am not rocking this boat for any futile family function. I am so excited to see Sol's face tomorrow morning!
#325 of 386 Old 12-25-2007, 07:22 PM

aloha from kauai!

(it's claudia under bill's username)

super fun and a little stressful (too many people to coordinate and my mom is missing her mom (my grandma) who passed away on christmas eve 19 years ago, and then my mom turned 60 today so she is likely feeling a little more "mature"...)

this place is gorgeous, though.

oh, and my baby boy just woke up from his nap so gotta go.

love to you all,
claudia (and bill and boys)
#326 of 386 Old 12-25-2007, 11:23 PM

Merry merries to everyone!

Claudia, good to hear from you!

Well. Whatta Christmas.

Viet came home last night and we almost immediately argued, and went to bed angry (he sleeps upstairs in the extra room anyway usually). Turns out he did not get me any gift whatsoever, nuttin, although according to him he tried and every store closed as he got there. He was late picking up my vacation rental people (BAD) which is what started the argument. He claims he was late because he was looking for my present. What present? I say.

So this morning, girls are wakey, and the dog goes ballistic barky bark which never happens, but whatever. Get up, go to tree, Sol is sooo happy and in wonderment that indeed, Santa dude provided. She starts to open presents and I call upstairs to Viet, who does not respond. Oh. So it's like THAT.
Guess this is MY Christmas thing, I did it all, every single bit, including providing for, shopping, wrapping, all the presents, etc etc ad nauseum. Start to feel sorry for myself, then check that feeling away for later gnawing.

Then I see the front door open, which goes to the courtyard, and I see the street door open, and Viet standing there talking to someone. Sol asks, Is he talking to Santa mami? I sprint out to the street to not miss any more present ransacking and it's Viet's bff, the flamenco dude, completely drunk, on his motorcycle, surely pulled a jag since last night. Immediately feel sympathy for his wife, who must be incredibly worried/sick/angry.

Rush back to the girls at the tree, and Viet comes in with bff, and we watch the gift opening, Viet is all lovey dovey with me. Okay. So it's like THAT.

A nice day proceeds, girls/play/toys/parent availability, bff eventually goes away and incredibly, does not do any damage that I know of, but wife's whereabouts are unknown. Whatever, not my problem anymore.
We fill their little pools up outside (it's a balmy day), play badminton, ball, lots of outdoor fun, eventually go for a hike in nature (one of my fave holiday activities ever). Viet is on his best behavior, says he owes me the gift. Yeah. Meanwhile, the only things in my stocking I put there myself so that Sol would not wonder why Santa so disfavored me. She also insisted that some wooden spoons for Amara were really my present.

I could feel sorry for myself, but I don't wanna. I don't have the energy to, if that makes any sense. My day is coming. One day, I'll be taken out to a nice meal again. One day.

So now he's waiting for my attention, thinking that his presence and love and attention will make up for more material things, and on an enlightened day, I'd agree. He really does have what some others lack, and if it ain't one thing, it's another, I've finally learned in this whole relationship thing.

Happy Christmas, everyone.
#327 of 386 Old 12-25-2007, 11:26 PM

Oh Els.. I am sorry things didn't go as planned. At least the girls had a blast.

TC- Can't wait to hear how beautiful your trip to Hawaii was! I'd give anything to be resting my swollen feet in the sand...
#328 of 386 Old 12-26-2007, 01:47 AM

Elsanne.
#329 of 386 Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 AM

what cute dom photos! that is so sweet

hi claudia kauai sounds busy and fun

aww els, that's such a drag : (now i feel doubly sad you didn't get your socks! i'm going on sock mission part deux soon)

we had the highs and lows of christmas here too. isaac really wanted one of those electric giant cars (specifically a firetruck) from santa. so he was momentarily a little sad that santa didn't come through on that one. i thought we might get another year before that phenomenon but later on doug says 'don't look now' and some kid is driving their new giant electric jeep down the street through the snowflakes! THANKfully isaac did not look out the window. there are only about 4 kids who live in our neighborhood i swear and what are the chances of that?? kinda kooky!

it was really NIFTY though that it got all kind of dark mid-morning and starting snowing big fat flakes! a real christmas treat. (it turned to rain after a couple of hours but i guess we might wake up to snow tomorrow.) the kiddos got lots of new fun toys for mama to put together it was very cute (and exhausting). i'm pooped. luckily our meal was pretty simple and delish. mmm pear crisp

now we're watching superbad. and it is super.bad.

doug was really humoring my taste in tv yesterday by putting on the nutcracker and then later on part of the nativity story on hbo. it was a kind of dark and wierd version but later on i'm laying with isaac in bed and he asks 'how does a baby get out of your tummy?' and so we had "the talk." with ebin's birth and isaac not being there i was just vague 'baby in the tummy' 'baby out!' and well...i knew someday he would wonder how and i would wait until he wanted to know to explain it and he was concerned that it hurt when ebin was born and he was born (cute). and then we talked about who is a girl and who is a boy. so now i'm sure he will go off to school and announce who exactly in his class has a ga-gina!

merry christmas everyone and a sigh of relief it is all over and the tired little sugarplums are in bed
#330 of 386 Old 12-26-2007, 02:35 PM

We had a very nice Christmas. One very sweet thing was that the very first thing T said Christmas morning (no, not "Did Santa come?" or "Can I open my presents?") was "Mommy, thank you for making our stockings." (They turned out really well but were A LOT OF WORK.) Later in the day, T to dh: "Daddy, I'm sorry for using the eggbeater on my brother, because he is not an egg." (Dude, don't use it on him even if he *is* an egg!) Went sledding on Monday (including one trip down the hill by my mother on my grandfather's old Flexible Flyer, with Z on her lap, screaming all the way down). ~6" new snow yesterday (very pretty), very sparkly and beautiful today, up to 8" more tomorrow. Lots of good (but not overly rich) food. I got my mom a 2' tree (with lights), and I made a bunch of ornaments for it (with photos of the kids, her parents, my brother, her siblings)... when I was growing up, we had a ton of ornaments handmade by my grandmother, and my mother left them all behind (by accident) when my parents divorced. (And I believe my father accidentally threw them out, stupidly thinking they were my former step-mother's... grrr...) So some happy/sad tears there. But all in all, very good. Dh and I got to take a nap! yesterday afternoon. Let's hear it for Grandma.

We watched a birthing video with T before Z was born, and I was amazed that the actual minute or 2 of the baby being born was his favorite part (he cheered, and we watched that bit several times). He was not quite 3 at the time... (While I'm watching it thinking, "A big ol' baby is going to come out of my hoo-ha... ouchie" and I'm sure dh was thinking "I'm responsible for a big ol' baby coming out of her hoo-ha... ouchie")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page