Dec07 thread for May04 Mamas -- just waiting for a new Ducette... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meg- 17 days off sounds nice. And thanks for the encouragement. You're comment made me laugh hard, that felt good.

TC- I hope everything goes off without a hitch for ya! Vacations abroad are so fun! (Though I may admit I'm a little jealous you'll be in Hawaii...

Still pregnant. Really crampy the last three days. Possible TMI...
But I can't figure out if it's my bowels cramping... or if it's cramping that's DOING something. Hopefully the latter. I'm a grumpy grump this morning. The kids took FOREVER going to bed last night... (I was on my LAST nerve) and then decided to wake up before dawn this morning! : I'm one exhausted girl as it is...

Did I mention Dom is no longer taking naps? I was hoping that would wait until after postpartum... no such luck. : Whatcha gonna do? Kids- gotta love em!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 PM

Danile--Dom was taking naps? Sol's been out of napville for about 2 years! every so often, though...I think Sol doesn't sleep enough compared to other kids but she's not grouchy or otherwise failing to thrive. She sleeps 10 hrs at night and that's IT.

Sounds like imminent baby to me, the cramping bowels...

Meg would LOVE 17 days off, I know. Juice will enjoy hers mightily too.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:26 PM

OH brother... Sorry Juice and Meg!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM

So we've pulled Annie out of her daycare this week. No word on the CT scan (there was some insurance issue and now we are waiting for HMO authorization), but she STILL has an ear infection that keeps coming back. She is on her third antibiotic. They work while she is taking them but the dang infection comes back as soon as she finishes the course. Snotty, goopy eyed, doesn’t sleep, cranky baby. My mom is home with her this week and then Alison will be with her the next two. I don't know what is up with this kid. We're considering craniosacral therapy - any thoughts?

Danile - Eleanor takes naps most everyday. She still seems to need it even if it is just quiet time in her room. Sounds like Dom has just naturally moved on, but I recommend the idea of having the big kid spend some down time in their room everyday. It has really helped us on the days when Eleanor is squirrelly and the babe is fussing.

TC – WHooWHOO! Hawaii is ready for you!

No more bar flies for KK and family, perty puuuuuleeeeezzze.

Fernitude- I am so glad that L is doing okay even though his stitches are ouchie in the bath. Eleanor always comments if she has a tiny scratch and it’s bath time “Don’t touch it wet! It hurts!”

Els, does Sol know how to swim? The hose jump rope sounds like fun! I am thinking we might have to go buy chestnuts to be like you. My mom paid to repair our fireplace for Christmas. I am so looking forward to a fire but it has been a Spare the Air day (no fires, use public transit, etc.) ever since it was ready to go. It’s supposed to be okay tonight so …..Mmmmm, chestnuts.

KK, you got me thinking. I am curious about the Christmas celebrating that we each do (more or less). To what degree do you all like to celebrate? Anyone not celebrate much or at all?

I am feeling more and more into it. I like the decorations, the picking of presents, and the hubbub so much more this year than ever before. I think because my mom is here and Ellie is so cute about Santa and the like. I am feeling more “in the spirit” when I am normally more Quaker about it (it really is just another day, and it really is sacrilegious to go so over the top). I think in large part it is because Alison and I are not buying each other much, and getting the girls one thing each, so it feels less hectic and has made more room in my mind and heart for things like baking cookies, singing carols, and buying eggnog.

s for the mmf, my online bff
Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Lisa-

I wish that would work with Dom. He kind of shares our room at the moment. We have three bedrooms, including ours. Isaac and him were supposed to share a room, but Dom refuses to sleep in there. (His night terrors were going on like 10-12 times a night... it was awful.) So we brought him into our bed and room and it was working perfectly. Normally he's my very cautious little guy... so I can trust him to stay away from pretty much everything. But the other day when I laid him down and told him he didn't have to sleep, but just do "quiet time" he came out about twenty minutes later telling me,

"Mommy... I cut myself."

He was holding a pair of toenail clippers and apparently had tried to trim his toenails. So no more of that for me. I have been instituting a version of quiet time. Since I no longer can take a nap I have him watch a movie of his choice, color, practice writing his alphabet or paint. It's worked semi-okay. Sometimes he just can't contain his volume levels and Isaac gets woken up... but my main problem is just being tired. Eh... these days will pass... Maybe I just needed to vent about it. I just wasn't expecting it since he's always been my super cuddly complacent baby. I guess I should get used to him growing up and changing on me...

Sorry about the ear infections. THose really suck! Have you tried garlic drops for her ears? I have a friend who said they worked wonders. Other than that I'm not much help....

Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM

Mia dropped her nap around age 2 (except for Daddy on the weekend but in the past few weeks, she has been requesting to nap. But the problem is she is in school from 11:15-2:50, so taking a nap after 3 PM isn't ideal. But if she's tired I will let her nap, but I watch the time and don't let her sleep as long as she would probably like to. The fact that she requests naps at all is shocking - she was sooooooooo hard to get to take a nap as a baby. She took 95% of her naps on me in the sling.

Mia gets to skip school today because we are going to the dentist! I have a cleaning and she will sit on my lap during it and watch. Then she will have a chance to sit in the chair and the hygienist will count her teeth and maybe even give a quick polish if Mia is okay with. Wish us luck - I am talking up the "prize" at the end of it all.

Gotta run.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Quick word here...

L is feeling a lot better (no barfies), but very droopy. I'm sure she's just pooped.

Danile... supposedly, the 2 main causes of night terrors are being over tired and being overheated. T tried to drop his nap around the time Z was born, and dh wanted to go with it. Night terrors ensued, though it took us a while to get the connection. I worked harder at the nap, it came back, and the NTs went away. You might try it... One thing that worked well was reading to him lying down (him lying down, me lying down, often nursing newborn Z side-lying), 2-3 books to get him settled down. Then I was very firm that we needed to be still, close our eyes for 10 minutes. Usually, we both ended up sleeping. I'd creep away at some point. Also, making sure he was really tired beforehand helped (riding his trike around the block, going to the playground, etc). Last tip: push the time back. I had him napping from 3-5 pm when he was 3, and no, it didn't make bedtime difficult. One last, LAST tip... if I was desperate, I'd stick him in the stroller (~2-3 pm) and go for a long walk. (If in winter, bundled up, with a blanket around him.) He'd fall asleep, I'd get exercise, and then I'd bring the stroller inside (and remove the blanket, unzip his coat, remove mittens, etc). The other NT tip: no socks on the feet, light covers.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 PM

KK- be back to respond lengthily later... looks like Dom's going to let me nap today.

On another quick note- I just remembered my OY login and caught up with stuff since I first joined the group! I had over 330 messages to go through! Yikes! And can I just say I'm sorry for being so pigheaded and ignorant in my comments as I truly did not know people's full situations until went through all of those. A mama can't really help if she doesn't really know though! So I owe all of you major hugs! Reading through... I feel bad for sniffling about my life when all of you have had much bigger, harder struggles going on in your lives. I truly don't know what I would do without you mamas and I wish I could've been there more for all of you!

:

Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM

isaac dropped his nap at the end of my pregnancy and very definitely once ebin arrived. he will occasionally nap and i *think* he still naps routinely at school. he sleeps about 12 hours at night.

that really sucks about the ear infection i would do the craniosacral therapy under the 'wouldn't hurt and would hopefully help!' assumption

i feel pretty 'in the spirit' with christmas. i love decorating and kind of 'changing' the house a bit for a few weeks. we have the tree and strung up some lights and hung our stockings on a bookcase (no mantel). in line with my 'deer' love i took some white fleece and pinecones, two deer, and an old fashioned father christmas to make a winter scene on top of another bookcase on our tv armoire i have a creche. i just did the limited version of jesus, mary, joseph, the cow, donkey and a lamb we're looking forward to a mellow christmas here without family and focused on lounging at home with the kids. doug even agreed to go to church!!!!!! minor miracle. we're going to try a big quaker church by reed college which looks far more lively than the austere one by our house.

i want to make some sugar cookies and decorate them with isaac but that will have to wait until friday. today i'm on a mission to sew a purse for a friend's bday. deadline thursday. eeek. i'm copying an old one so it isn't like following a pattern.

what other traditions do people have?? in my dad's household they opened all presents christmas eve. i think probably because christmas morning they went to mass. in my house growing up we got to pick one present out to open christmas eve so we'll do that with our kids. (do most people do that? i think so but have no idea)

i don't get too frazzled with buying presents and stuff. we buy limited stuff for our parents, sisters and a couple of kid-friends. i think it is pretty fun. i wish i had the time to make more gifts but not this year. the whole 'culture of christmas' is consumerist and blah blah but i think it is a tradition in *most* cultures around the world to have a day for gift giving. eg. in pakistan everyone gave gifts for eid. i had isaac help me pick out a 'special present' for ebin so we could emphasise the GIVING part cute.

last night i started sewing this for fun

babe needs some mama
Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 PM

jstar--that is adorable! Hillary is really sweet. I made one of her kitties way back when C was a babe and sent her a pic and she replied kindly.

Lisa--do you have a chiro? My girls ear woes have always been helped by getting adjusted. No experience w/ craniosacral though---I think claudia does though, but she's about ready to get lei'd so...

My house is a disaster....must. go. clean. Girls playing sweetly in the pop-up school bus. Need to bottle moments like this so I can stress less about the messy house.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 PM

Yeah, my house is a mess, too. :

We open presents Christmas morning (though we've resurrected a tradition my mom had when she was a kid; the kids get to open one book each Christmas Eve night). I did my blog thing... : One thing I will add is that we have a homemade wreath on our door that we reuse every year, we have our odd tree, and nearly all of our tree decorations are homemade. A few paper snowflakes on the windows, and that's it.

Danile, hope my post above doesn't sound like a lecture. : I was short on time, and T's NTs were so horrible--if anything I said helps and I can spare you the awfulness of it...(otherwise, just disregard!)

Lisa, I'd do whatever it takes to get rid of the EI. I have no suggestions, just s.

I live vicariously through Elsanne's posts. (and maybe TC will take me in her suitcase???)
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM

No KK! Of course I appreciate the advice! I'd actually never heard that before. While the heat thing makes sense... he doesn't seem to get overheated at that point. I'll explain some of the situation...

I was pretty mainstream when I had Dom and though I couldn't stand letting him cry it out as a newborn (we coslept without me knowing what that was) and we breastfed. I figured it was best for him anyways as there was a lot of changes going on at that time for us. A couple of moves, etc. When we got settled into a new place I started getting a lot of pressure from people to move him out of our bed as I was pregnant again. At 10 months we stuck him in a crib and tried the crying it out method. It was horrible. He cried for three hours, puked, etc. and only seemed to get more agitated if I went in to verbally comfort him. I ended up outside his door crying into the carpet wanting to be with him. Sadly, this didn't wake me up. We kept trying, thinking that is was "for the best" and such... Shortly after his night terrors began... and have never stopped. When he was 2 1/2 I took him to a psychiatrist and she discussed a bunch of things with us. At the end she suggested we bring him back into our bed (like he was requesting) because he was obviously deriving some sort of psychological comfort from it. That was when his night terrors went from 10-12 times a night to maybe 1-2 if he had them. Now they consist mostly of weird things we have no idea what he's upset about. He'll sometimes yell out in the middle of them, "NO!!! NOT THE CHOCOLATE!!!!" or "I WANT TO MEET THE LADY!!!" and then sob uncontrollably in his sleep. He'll thrash and hit and kick and roll around... sometimes we can talk him out of it or sooth him with calm rubbing on his back and such... but other times it only makes him more upset...

Sorry for the long vent... maybe that helps? I just have no idea how to stop them. We figured we'd let him stay in our room if that's what works and move him into Isaac's when he's comfortable... but the room is getting a little cramped..

Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Ug, that sounds awful. Poor Dom, poor Mama. Check this out... there's a TON of info, advice, and opinions about NTs there (some I think is nutty, like the dipping the feet in cold water thing). Maybe in the pages and pages of stuff, you'll find something which helps (that's where I got the info that helped us help T). T is still a weird sleeper. He sleeps very heavily (and still wears pull-ups as a result), still often talks in his sleep, still has the occasion bad night (now obviously a bad dream), esp. if he's over-tired.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled May Mamas...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

lisa: craniosacral and chiropractic, both. the craniosacral for general wellbeing stuff and the chiropractic for realigning the ear/sinus fluid system. do you have a good chiro for ped stuff? try www.icpa4kids.org for a ped chiro suggestion.

HF: lei'd. : :

ducette: thinking of you, mama. babe will come when babe is ready, babe will come when babe is ready, babe will come when babe is ready... breathe...

coffee is my friend today.

~claudia
Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Coffee is my friend today, too :

Lisa, I'd give a big thumbs-up to craniosacral work, but I'd give a bigger thumbs-up to a chiropractic adjustment. The icpa link TC mentioned is a great place to start. There are lots of great docs who are fantastic with kids who are NOT on that list, though, too. I'm not certified by the icpa, but I do see a lot of kids. And our experience with ear infections has been really good - any time one of my kids has complained of ear pain, I've adjusted them and never heard another word about it. The notable exception being this recent one of Ethan's, but I figure he couldn't tell me when it *started* hurting, so I didn't catch it fast enough. I'm checking his neck every day right now, so hopefully no recurrence when the abx are done... time will tell.

Danile, to you and your sweet boy. That sounds really hard for everyone. It sounds like you're really working to meet his needs - I hope it gets easier soon! FWIW, Caitlyn was always a terrible sleeper and would wake up screaming in the night, sometimes every 45 minutes all. night. long. and she was always in our bed. She finally started sleeping through when she was about 4. She still cries out in her sleep from time to time, but nothing like it was.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks Juice for the comfort!

Still here mamas... off to run some errands and pay some bills I forgot to pay before they get disconnected!

More crampity cramp cramps... and nothin... bleh...

Old 12-18-2007, 04:58 PM

how long was your last labor? this one could be reallllly short. i would be scared how short a 3rd would be for me you probably wrote this before but are you doing a water birth? were your other births homebirths??

here's a dumb question for you homebirthers. i couldn't wrap my head around homebirthing because of the intense fear of the pain of tearing without some lidocaine. do mw's carry lidocaine? i think lidocaine saved my life. and percocet. the other reason i couldn't ever homebirth.

NTs sound scary. hopefully he will grow out of it completely. isaac has run of the mill nightmares once in a while

i finished the purse i was making : mega relief. (ebin was a very good napper yesterday thankfully!) then i did the quickest cursory housecleaning before doug got home (although there was a mountain of dishes). i definitely miss having a housecleaner. A LOT. i also wish i could employ someone to put away the laundry

i'm drinking my 'fafee' too. ebin hadn't even woken up yet when i left this morning and they were JACKHAMMERING outside. we got notice they're shutting our water off for 8 hours today. i checked on him and the blanket was kind of on his face--eek. but he was breathing. so i guess jackhammering is pretty soothing to babies
Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Any purse pictures, Jstar? I love how many projects you have...I seem to not manage any even though I love to sew.

Danile - Happy errand running pre-labor. I hope you are comfortable and feeling well cared for.

On Annie's head: We have a CT scan scheduled for Thursday morning. Should I try to squeeze in chiro/craniosacral before the scan (tomoorow) or after (Friday or next week)? I don't want to over-trigger her intolerance for people-other-than-family-members, but if it will help...
Old 12-18-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

lisa: i don't think you should worry about getting her into the chiro before the scan. if they have an opening, take her. but if this will be a new thing for her, take her when you can. talk to allison and make sure both of you come up with your questions that need to be answered by the chiro while you are there (i'm sure you will have some, at least. i know i did, and i was already a convert to chiro for babies.) a good chiro for babies will do appointments at the babe's pace and not force anything. peaceful vibes for the scan...

i'm getting nervous about traveling with two small people. probably nothing, but nervous nonetheless...

~c
Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 PM

so far isaac has been SO excited to travel on an airplane that he has been very well-behaved. it is the smaller squirmy one that can be a little less excited about looking out the window, etc. do you need a portable dvd player to take? that's been great for isaac.

i can take purse pics
Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM

Claudia--our girls surprised us on our trip to AZ last fall. At least on the flight there you'll have the novelty of it. E's fave toy was the plastic drink cup full of ice cubes...well I chewed those up quick and let her play with the empty...

lisa---most of E's and HJ's adjustments at the chiro are done laying on my belly which certainly increases their comfort level. ditto claudia about asking questions. Ours always reassures and demonstrates for me how much pressure she is using or what the arthrostim feels like, etc. Will be thinking of your crew on Thursday!

Oh what a day. Some days are good; others I just feel outnumbered--thinking of meg's sig---where *did* all these kids come from?? Have to run to grocery store after nap--that's always fun to do at the end of the day. I think I need to go raid the stash of holiday candy...

Old 12-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Outnumbered. That's it exactly. Yesterday was one of those days and then this morning was coo coo too.

Can I admit to you all that chiro for kids completely freaks me out.? Irrational, I know, but I just can't get over it.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

meg: have you seen this list of articles linked from kellymom about chiropractic and craniosacral work with babies? not trying to convince you to not freak out about it, just providing more info. and curious... what specifically about chiropractic for babies concerns you? it's vastly different from most chiropractic manipulation done on adults, and with babies, it focuses mostly on supporting the baby's body in a way that the babe can move and make any adjustments it needs on its own. it's truly amazing to watch with a practiced chiropractor.

off to pick up my new glasses... yay! well, new prescription in my old frames that i love! double yay!

~claudia
Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 PM

that's interesting tc about chiro and babies...one of my best buds is a chiro (*ahem*) and I felt similar to Meg about it--just, nervous-- I didn't know the techniques would differ, which is huge for my perceived fears about it. This, from a girl who would be a chiro-slut if she could. Meaning, go as often as possible, selling my body to do so.

It's one of those days where you let the baby go crazy in the fridge because it gives you 2.5 minutes to yourself online...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 AM

I think that may be why my chiro is always asking if it's okay with me if someone watches while my kiddos get adjusted. All three of them really love our chiro and C even asks to go if she hasn't been in a while.

I totally need to meld with that wacky energy smiley. Need some of that in the worst way. Or keeping with the current discussion topic....at least I have a chiro appt on Friday!

Ferny--how are things? thinking of you and your guys!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

fernie came over with her 2 little guys yesterday and we had a lovely time catching up and boys playing. W and stefan look like little twins with their blond hair and blue eyes. we got a few cute pics, too. will try to post them later OY, in between my dinner/evening/packing madness.

~c
Old 12-19-2007, 01:45 AM

Jstar-

You're silly. No lidocaine at homebirths? That would suck! I would never allow myself to be stitched up without lidocaine! That's actually a common misconception I've heard though. My midwife always laughs and says, "Oh- you thought natural birth meant no meds for stitches?! And you still came? Wow are you brave!" It's there in case you tear... but not everyone needs it...

I hope this is a faster labor... contractions still coming about every ten minutes... but no real progress being made it feels like. I walked for hours and now my feet are sore. I'm going to rest and relax for the rest of the night. Dom's birth was a hospital birth with just about every intervention in the book... I was pretty mainstream then and thought that was how it was supposed to be. Isaac was an educational experience for us. I took Bradley classes that time and switched to a midwife (our current midwife) at 38 weeks after previously interviewing her the month before. He was born at a birth center. This will be our first homebirth and I'm very excited. It's a new thrilling experience, but I can't imagine what could be better. Maybe that's why I'm getting anxious... that and this pelvic bone that feels broken... :

Old 12-19-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
here's a dumb question for you homebirthers. i couldn't wrap my head around homebirthing because of the intense fear of the pain of tearing without some lidocaine. do mw's carry lidocaine? i think lidocaine saved my life. and percocet. the other reason i couldn't ever homebirth.
Hey jess-like danile said, yeah, we get lidocaine. And, I used it both times! I tore a bit and because of the location of the tear, my mw offered to do stitches. In TX, no big deal, but I guess here in CO it's not legal for mws to do stitches....so it's not something she talks about (shhhh....). My mw here actually offered to use that glue stuff on the tear, but since we have stairs and a 3-year-old, I just went with the old fashioned stitches. She also tried topical lidocaine, and that just wasn't doing it. Way too ouchy. So I got the big ol' shots. It's funny....once I have the baby I don't care what kind of drugs I injest (within reason, of course). I took Advil for after pains right away (along with herbal stuff) Gee, maybe I should write out my birth story for Miss A since I have so much to say about it!!!!!

danile-you will be able to handle this labor at home. The pelvic pain increased for me while pg with Annie, too, and cx were a bit tougher than with G, but it was so much shorter, so it evened out.

Re: the chirorpractic convo: I'm a believer in it as well, but have come to realize the type of adjustment makes a huge difference. Our chiro in TX was so gentle with her adjustments and dh and I (and G) responded so well to them. Here, we have a pretty rough dude and he actually inflamed dh's neck so much last time that we aren't going back. I do need an adjustment, though, and I might have found a more gentle person. Just not a lot of choice out here in the "boonies." But, I'm open to about anything that's not mainstream. It doesn't take much to convince me to try alternative therapies.

TC-have an awesome trip! I am jealous (but in a healthy way ) I just love the beach and water and would love a trip right now. G was an excellent traveler and we took several airplane trips with him. Traveling with two would be a bit more daunting, but they might surprise you. We will be doing a car trip with two in January to Phoenix, so pass on any pointers you learn!

Alas, we found out today that we need to spend about $2600 on car repairs for the car we just got (used) in March! Ouchie wah wah!!!! This is just after we got the mw paid for. We have no savings so we must charge it and hope we can pay it off in at least 5-6 months so the interest doesn't kill us. We don't usually get a tax refund since dh is considered self-employed for purposes of income tax (and that self-employment tax is a doozie). So, it just means living close to the bone again for the next while, what else is new. I'm just so tired of it, mamas. I'm not even talking about wanting grand things....we just want to go out to eat every so often. That's it.

Ah well, dh is trying to work out some financial improvements with the church situation, but we don't know when that will come to fruition.

Didn't mean to be such a downer. See how much I need a trip to the beach, though!!!!

On the good side, I got my socks in the mail today and they are beautiful. Also, talked to a preschool about G attending beginning in the summer, but they do have openings for spring. Of course, with having to pay off car repair, we may have to wait until summer. But, it was hopeful. Most preschools here have super long waiting lists. And, we made some sugar cookie dough and will cut out cookies tomorrow!

Simple pleasures...gotta be thankful for those.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

oy, photos of fernie-turbos...

~c
Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 AM

Danile, contrax every 10 minutes? I'd better go light a candle.... irl candle lit, too. Re: Dom- we all do the best we can with what we know. I have known many kids who seemed to pass through CIO unscathed- every kid and every fam is diff, and he knows he is loved, and you are an awesome mama! Thanks for trusting us with your story.

Lisa- I will be thinking of your fam on Thursday!

Jacq- I hear you on living tightly. I've been rebelling against the budget recently :

OK, it's after 11 and I haven't even STARTED on my letter of interest for being an Oregon Intervention System trainer (behavior training- maybe I should enroll my fil in a class ). Plus my supervisor wants a list of which employees have their CPR & when- it's gonna be a late night!

Last night I slept 11 hours- fell asleep at 7:45.

User Tag List