Can you teach a 3.5 year old to knit? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, dd found some yarn and want to make some socks. We had several tearful meltdows because no matter how she tried to bunch up the yarn, tie it, it wasn't a 'sock'. She even wrote out 'directions' (a picture of a sock) to help!

I can knit (though I've never attempted socks!), but my initial thought is that I'm nuts for trying to teach her. She is only 3 1/2. Her fine motor skills are good, but not THAT good.

Are there alternatives? Should I just hope she forgets?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 PM

I think it's a little young.

But she wants to imitate you!

Work first on "finger knitting" - a series of slip knots. Do you crotchet? It's like making a chain, but without the crotchet hook. This can be a bracelet, necklace, bridle for a horse, collar, etc. It gets them working with the yarn. My almost 5 yo cannot really finger knit without my help.

You can also get a "knitty-knotty, kniting nancee, spool knitter - they have many names. You could make one, too. You wrap yarn around knobs or pegs and then use a tool to loop it off. This makes a nice tube - hat for a doll, barbie dress, even a tube sock! My DD can use the hook to loop the yarn off the pegs all on her own, but she cannot wrap the yarn.

I learned to crotchet at 7 because I couldn't handle the 2 needles. I learned to knit at 8.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 PM

What about let her use some big needles, cast on a small row and show her how to pearl or knit? I'm thinking size 11 or 12 and maybe circular if you have them. Explain socks are hard to knit but a scarf isn't or she needs to knit two parts to make a sock . My 4 year old has been going through the same thing when I knit but not quite so frustrated. But I think I'd try that if she was too frustrated.
#4 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 PM

I learned to crochet a little at around four, so maybe. I don't know. The real reason that I posted was to tell you that that is the cutest thing ever! Especially the directions!

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#5 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 04:20 PM

You could try a knitting loom (like finger-knitting, but not on your fingers).

That is a very cute story!

ZM
#6 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM

crocheting is certainly easier ! I was able to make several squares for an afgan (spelling) in 4'th grade.

How about that toy we use to have as kids, where it was a bunch of colorful loops in a tub. You could loop them to make a chain, and could make pot holders. I wonder if variations are out there?
#7 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 PM

I came across this so thought I'd share.
https://www.blissfulfamily.net//cata...58449d08dfc803

This is a link to a natural toy store near where I live. And they are over priced. I wonder who makes these? You could call and ask and then find them elsewhere.
#8 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 PM

My daughter is 3.25 and wants to knit so badly. I usually set her up with a slip knot and big needles and she's happy for now. She sits and recites some non-sensical variation of "in through the front door, run around the back, out through the window, and off hops Jack" while she wraps and winds and "knits" a sweater and hat for her baby.

My thought, when she's more serious about wanting to actually produce something, is to try spool/loom knitting. Michaels/Joanns have some that are a bit bigger that may produce something more satisfying than what will come out of a tiny spool.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#9 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 12:31 PM

interesting - i'm curious too b/c my 4.5 yr old DS has expressed interest in wanting to knit as well when he sees me knitting. i bought him a pair of super thick bamboo knitting needles, and we have had one session, but it wasn't really productive and he lost interest after a few minutes of challenge. i wonder about the spool knitter - i'll have to see about that. it might encourage him if he feels that he can be productive with it.
#10 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 PM

My daughter is 5 and is currently learning to knit - we often have to do it together so that the yarn goes in the correct direction and all that sort of thing - in fact she's knitting a wonderful bright yellow scarf for dh - it's full of dropped stitches but is made with such love I just let her get on with it and help her out only when she wants me to - it's taken AGES to knit!!! You can get a French Knitter - it maybe easier for little ones http://www.youreducationaltoys.com/product/G28-AC-A I gave one to my niece last year I think they work really well for beginners - good luck and well done to your dd for wanting to learn a great craft.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page